2.6.0 is now available for download on all platform
The new content from Demise of the Faithful is available immediately in the in-game store. DLC is available on Steam / Playstation Store EU / Playstation Store NA / XBOX
Patch Notes: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/patch-notes
Emblem blogpost: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/52295/the-emblem-system-changes-explained#latest
We are testing out new post formatting for the forum. There might be some issues present (white text, blank quotes, etc.), we are looking to resolve those. Thank you.

Camping: when is it ok?

2»

Comments

• The_TrapperThe_Trapper Member Posts: 136

Camping is always okay, it's annoying but it has serious disadvantages. If the other survivors know you're camping; they can repair gens before you die on the hook. That's 3 gens done at once, with only 2 left and 3 survivors still playing.

Survivors have invented their own rulebook which killers should obey or face verbal abuse, it's laughable.

Did a survivor just unhook another survivor right in front of you? The rulebook states you MUST go for the survivor who performed the save, not the injured one.

Do you see the saved survivor running away? You better not go after him! You, the killer, MUST go looking for somebody else.

Just hooked someone? Sprint to the other side of the map!

Have you acquired a mori? If you use it, you suck!

If camping really was "unfair", insidious would not be a perk.

Survivors cry about camping but it's just as annoying as gen rush, survivors can do more about camping than killers can about gen rush.

If all the generators are done and you haven't killed anyone, apparently we are entitled to camp. Yeah, to hell with that. You do what you wanna do as the killer.

At the end of the day, it's their fault for getting hooked.

Your job as killer is to kill, there's no guide to what you should do. Do it well enough and you will still earn your pip.

It is a lot like tunnelling, if a survivor sees a generator on 90% and 0%, which one does he go to repair?

When I play killer, i'm not trying to make it fun for survivors, i'm trying to make it fun for me and I don't need to camp or use NOED to do that.

• LegitAdventurerLegitAdventurer Member Posts: 422
    All the time. Camping is a killer strategy. Survivors need to get over it lol
    edited January 3
    The equivalent to this is "when is doing gens okay?" Or "when is dropping a pallet okay?" Sounds silly, right? Lol
  • Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 1,468

camping is okay whenever you want.

dont let these "play fair rules" get to you. they are all made up by the survivors and you wont get punished for not following them.
    seriously, especially camping has been nerfed SO MANY TIMES NOW, it does not even pay off, as long as the survivors dont sit around the hook like idiots and be overaltruistic. and the reason why i marked that is, because its in the survivors hands, weather camping pays off or not, however they all love to act like they would stand o chance against that evil bubba protecting his new jake face.

just camp them and see how it turns out for you.
    is it fun? - no.
    is it effective? - mostly yes.
    is it forbidden / an exploid of the game mechanics? - no. if it were, then looping would also be, due to the fact that pallets and windows are supposed to break LoS with the killer and give you time to hide and not run around them until the exits are opened.

• MullatoMullato Member Posts: 104
    I don't get why LF gets so much hate. 

Whenever I see wraith I know I should of brought my smores. Because he is literally finna pitch a tent in my face.
    edited January 5
    Per example: i played a match the other day SWF with me and one of my friends, we had two randoms. The killer had an ebony mori, so in theory could kill everyone after a single hook. He played Myers and was camping, really hard. Does this work? It can. But honestly camping is a huge waste of time. Even monitoring the hook is a waste of time imo.

During this one hook, we ended up getting almost all of the gens done and saving him just before he died on hook. Since he had a mori and was camping there was no reason to go save the guy till very last minute. The killer ended that match with only 2 hooks and 1 mori. We all escaped because he legit camped the whole game. Never checked gens, never left to check the doors. It was a very easy game for survivors. I felt bad that the guy basically got farmed and Mori'd but nothing you can do in a situation like that, even with borrowed time.

Especially now that they nerfed it for whatever reason.
  • MorfedelMorfedel Member Posts: 140

@LegitAdventurer said:
    Per example: i played a match the other day SWF with me and one of my friends, we had two randoms. The killer had an ebony mori, so in theory could kill everyone after a single hook. He played Myers and was camping, really hard. Does this work? It can. But honestly camping is a huge waste of time. Even monitoring the hook is a waste of time imo.

During this one hook, we ended up getting almost all of the gens done and saving him just before he died on hook. Since he had a mori and was camping there was no reason to go save the guy till very last minute. The killer ended that match with only 2 hooks and 1 mori. We all escaped because he legit camped the whole game. Never checked gens, never left to check the doors. It was a very easy game for survivors. I felt bad that the guy basically got farmed and Mori'd but nothing you can do in a situation like that, even with borrowed time.

The problem is, sometimes camping works. Sometimes the survivors come swarming and you can start dropping them like flies.

And when playing against a full SWF group that know what they are doing, and using voice, the moment you leave they know it and can tell their friends to come save them, or whatever. Against SWF its a catch 22 for the killer.

• Doc_W__HOLLIDAYDoc_W__HOLLIDAY Member Posts: 1,261
    Camping is ok when you decide you want to do it. All players are free to play and use whatever tactic they want as long as it's given the ok by the devs :)
  • grtf47grtf47 Member Posts: 89
    In my opinion, it is okay to “camp” whenever you want. I do whatever I want and I won’t let a group of swf tell em what to do. Don’t let people make you do things by cursing you out or pressuring you. Have fun because life is too short to worry about if camping in a video game is okay. 
  • DemothDemoth Member Posts: 49

I don't camp because I find it boring, and having played enough survivor, I know how frustrating it is to die because a killer is shit at chases and just wants one kill before they lose.

That said, if other survivors are buzzing around the hook... yeah, I'm not going to leave. If gens aren't being done and I have the option to remove a survivor from the game, I'll take it. I'll chase, but if I'm clearly being baited away with a killer who isn't good at chases, I'll double back to down the person doing the rescue.

I try my best not to re-down survivors who are clearly being sandbagged, unless they were being an [BAD WORD] during the match (teabagging or flashlight macro spamming).

Morfedel said:

@LegitAdventurer said:

The problem is, sometimes camping works. Sometimes the survivors come swarming and you can start dropping them like flies.

And when playing against a full SWF group that know what they are doing, and using voice, the moment you leave they know it and can tell their friends to come save them, or whatever. Against SWF its a catch 22 for the killer.

This game I referenced was not really an SWF match. It was just me and one other buddy with two randoms. So there was no "hes camping" communication happening. We all just all let him hang as long as we could, knowing he had a Mori, and quickly learning the killer was camping. its usually not very hard to find out when a killer is camping, yano? Just gen rush the [BAD WORD] out of him, easy counter.

@LegitAdventurer said:
    This game I referenced was not really an SWF match. It was just me and one other buddy with two randoms. So there was no "hes camping" communication happening. We all just all let him hang as long as we could, knowing he had a Mori, and quickly learning the killer was camping. its usually not very hard to find out when a killer is camping, yano? Just gen rush the [BAD WORD] out of him, easy counter.

I understand that, but, as an example, I was running the Huntress in Coldwind farms a little earlier today. One of my worst match ups, because survivors lose me easily in the damned corn, AND I'm terrible with the hatchet. Been playing her practicing to get her better, but god, that was not the map I wanted to do it on.

I did manage to get a couple hooks, with a LOT of effort, but wasn't able to really nail anyone down. Finally, I got someone in the basement, right as they finished the last generator.

I camped. There was a line of sight along a corn row right to the basement's stairs. I waited a minute, pretty certain they would come try to rescue her. And sure enough, I followed someone in and hooked her too. Then I did it again, and a third came.

That second and third person could have escaped, but they went in for the save and, because I was camping, I got 3k where I would have had 1k.

The Altruism of the survivors sometimes gets them in more trouble. Of course, I only camped when there was only one generator left and it popped... I don't camp on the first hook unless I'm having a bad game and it took me forever to get that, or if I see (or highly suspect) team Altruism is going to rush in to save them. In fact, that's happened so much lately I've started patrolling around the hooked and then heading out to one generator and back, and almost like clockwork as I'm coming back someone gets the save, and sometimes I get the hook back or hook the survivor, other times they escape.

So... well, yeah, camping DOES work sometimes. A lot of survivors don't stick it out to work on generators like they should.

• AtomicCPU3AtomicCPU3 Member Posts: 28

@Morfedel said:
    Well, I just had a surprisingly discouraging match today, and it was mostly from the extraordinarily hostile attacks of two of the players after the match.

So, I'm mostly a survivor, not that great a killer, so I'm starting out here. Rank 18, not that awesome, on the PC, and rank 15 on the PS4. Anyway, I'm trying to get better with the huntress' hatchet, and I'm slowly improving; its a lot easier with mouse and keyboard than controller....

Anyway, as I said, not so terribly hot, so when the gates get powered up, if I get a survivor on the hook I tend to soft camp / patrol it. Usually the survivors will try to come in and save them rather than exit, and I use that as an opportunity to get more, along with NOED.

hasnt always worked, but sometimes it has. I figure it only makes sense: if I'm playing survivor and a killer is camping someone, I just go do other things, work on gens, open gates, whatever. Punish the killer for camping by doing other jobs.

Anyway, once or twice I've been attacked for camping, and I point out MOST of the time I patrol; go kick a gen, come back, go check another gen, come back. Sometimes I catch them rescuing the survivor, sometimes they get away.

And what, I'm supposed to just LET them save the survivor? I don't get the attitude. But I've only been attacked a few times, and mostly softly, such as "great camping dude," to which I point out I patrolled / soft camped.... unless the gates were powered up.

This time, however, three of the players came at me. One was gentle about it and said "sucked you camped my friend, but otherwise GG." The one who I originally "camped" exited. I got a second one, however, and THAT one and the fourth, a twitch streamer too, came at me with all guns blazing, calling me all kinds of vile names and constantly cussing at me, belittling me, etc.

Frankly, I was more than willing to discuss the game, but I think they were SWF, or maybe two groups of SWF; they were very often together all four of them working on a single gen, or three of them where possible, etc. I could almost never find them, because they were all in one spot where I was checking others. They denied it, but the aforementioned person above said it sucked I camped her friend, and the other two, one was talking about the twitch streamer size of followers.

And in between the base insults, there were comments of "code of honor" and such. Like, its ok they SWF, they coordinate, they even rushed to rescue a hooked person earlier and complained about my camping her too, when they rushed in to save her!

Sigh... I dont know, am I wrong? When I played solo survivor, I used to get mad for getting camped, esp face camped or tunneled, and I watch twitch streamers like hybridpanda and tydetime run off right away after hooking someone. I generally do that early game, but keep an eye out for rescue teams to head back.

So, I'm a little frustrated at having been attacked in such a vile manner, and I dont know, I suppose I'd've expected better behavior from a twitch streamer, should have known better I guess.

But I guess this is a very long winded way of asking, just when IS it appropriate to camp, and when isn't it? They seemed to act that even with the gates powered and even with them rushing in to save someone, I shouldn't have been doing that. Was I in the wrong?

Thanks in advance.

yes join us brother, let the hate flow through you

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 9,723

@AtomicCPU3 said:

@Morfedel said:
    Well, I just had a surprisingly discouraging match today, and it was mostly from the extraordinarily hostile attacks of two of the players after the match.

So, I'm mostly a survivor, not that great a killer, so I'm starting out here. Rank 18, not that awesome, on the PC, and rank 15 on the PS4. Anyway, I'm trying to get better with the huntress' hatchet, and I'm slowly improving; its a lot easier with mouse and keyboard than controller....

Anyway, as I said, not so terribly hot, so when the gates get powered up, if I get a survivor on the hook I tend to soft camp / patrol it. Usually the survivors will try to come in and save them rather than exit, and I use that as an opportunity to get more, along with NOED.

hasnt always worked, but sometimes it has. I figure it only makes sense: if I'm playing survivor and a killer is camping someone, I just go do other things, work on gens, open gates, whatever. Punish the killer for camping by doing other jobs.

Anyway, once or twice I've been attacked for camping, and I point out MOST of the time I patrol; go kick a gen, come back, go check another gen, come back. Sometimes I catch them rescuing the survivor, sometimes they get away.

And what, I'm supposed to just LET them save the survivor? I don't get the attitude. But I've only been attacked a few times, and mostly softly, such as "great camping dude," to which I point out I patrolled / soft camped.... unless the gates were powered up.

This time, however, three of the players came at me. One was gentle about it and said "sucked you camped my friend, but otherwise GG." The one who I originally "camped" exited. I got a second one, however, and THAT one and the fourth, a twitch streamer too, came at me with all guns blazing, calling me all kinds of vile names and constantly cussing at me, belittling me, etc.

Frankly, I was more than willing to discuss the game, but I think they were SWF, or maybe two groups of SWF; they were very often together all four of them working on a single gen, or three of them where possible, etc. I could almost never find them, because they were all in one spot where I was checking others. They denied it, but the aforementioned person above said it sucked I camped her friend, and the other two, one was talking about the twitch streamer size of followers.

And in between the base insults, there were comments of "code of honor" and such. Like, its ok they SWF, they coordinate, they even rushed to rescue a hooked person earlier and complained about my camping her too, when they rushed in to save her!

Sigh... I dont know, am I wrong? When I played solo survivor, I used to get mad for getting camped, esp face camped or tunneled, and I watch twitch streamers like hybridpanda and tydetime run off right away after hooking someone. I generally do that early game, but keep an eye out for rescue teams to head back.

So, I'm a little frustrated at having been attacked in such a vile manner, and I dont know, I suppose I'd've expected better behavior from a twitch streamer, should have known better I guess.

But I guess this is a very long winded way of asking, just when IS it appropriate to camp, and when isn't it? They seemed to act that even with the gates powered and even with them rushing in to save someone, I shouldn't have been doing that. Was I in the wrong?

Thanks in advance.

:wink:

@Master said:

@AtomicCPU3 said:

:wink:

LOL

• SiftHeadsDudeSiftHeadsDude Member Posts: 31
    Ah, this is such a tricky topic. Way I see it, camping/tunneling is understandable when there has been about 2 gens done and you aren’t doing so good. You gotta start killing them off at some point, and camping/tunneling can be proven effective. It’ll waste the time of the survivors and sometimes get you another down at no cost if they’re foolish or overly altruistic. The thing is, it’s also pretty easy to counter with either borrowed time, or outright doing gens. And you’ll see that if you play “fair” and dnt camp or tunnel, you’ll lose practically every game unless the survivors are outright bad or noobish. I feel most people have a problem with camping because of 3 reasons. 1, they’re toxic survivors and want points, 2, being camped effectively means you’re done for, and now you probably won’t get much for your time, and 3, it’s just frustrating to deal with (but again, it’s fair when the game isn’t going your way). I honestly bet if they reworked the survivor bloodpoints system, camping wouldn’t be as effective or as “upsetting” because survivors wouldn’t try so hard to go for unsafe saves. 
  • Dwight_ConfusionDwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,207

Camping is okay at any time. It isn't nice, but the premise of camping is that someone was caught... and if they are camping hard, 2-3 gens should get popped.

So it's 1 life for 3 gens. At least 2.

That's a good tradeoff, but it does suck for whoever was camped.

2»