The new Surveillance change is awful !

2»

Comments

• AstonishingMuthaLikaAstonishingMuthaLika Member Posts: 14

@touchpadgamer I had a survivor say I held the game hostage for a 3 gen , then when I turned his logic on him he wanted to send me voice messages calling me every kind of Dumb mfers there is lol

• Kind_LemonKind_Lemon Member Posts: 221

I'm really not happy with this. I wish it had a minimum radius for white vision or something, or a different rework altogether such as

SURVEILLANCE:

You have an uncanny sense for knowing when your playthings begin exceeding your expectations.
    Gain a notification when a survivor hits any great skill check within 28/32/36 meters and mark that survivor for later trouble.
    Marked survivors will create a notification whenever they hit a good or great skill check.
    Survivors become unmarked when they fail any skill check.

This is far more interesting imo, and I agree that surveillance, for a green perk, breaks stealth too much in the ptb when stealth is needed.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 304
    edited January 12

I'm really not happy with this. I wish it had a minimum radius for white vision or something, or a different rework altogether such as

SURVEILLANCE:

You have an uncanny sense for knowing when your playthings begin exceeding your expectations.
    Gain a notification when a survivor hits any great skill check within 28/32/36 meters and mark that survivor for later trouble.
    Marked survivors will create a notification whenever they hit a good or great skill check.

This is far more interesting imo, and I agree that surveillance, for a green perk, breaks stealth too much in the ptb when stealth is needed.

That sounds like it will trigger exactly once on any SWF team and then never again a few seconds later when they just forcibly fail a Self-Care check.
  • Aari_Piggy66Aari_Piggy66 Member Posts: 684

SURVEILLANCE:

That sounds just awful 
  • ShyN3koShyN3ko Member Posts: 362

@Robb_Stark said:
    1. It really encourages Generator camping and keeping the game hostage.

Defending your objective as killer is holding the hostage?
    I dont understand this.

• PigMainBigBrainPigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 250
    edited January 13

@Robb_Stark said:

I haven't played using the perk

This should have been the end of the thread. Even after the changes surveillance is still a mediocre perk. Its usable sure. But mediocre at best. No there are no noise notifications. I swear, do yall even play the patches before calling a hail mary on the changes?

edited January 14
    @TAG  said:

SURVEILLANCE:

That sounds like it will trigger exactly once on any SWF team and then never again a few seconds later when they just forcibly fail a Self-Care check.
    I’m not sure how to disagree politely with what you said, so please understand that I’m not being antagonistic or unreasonable when I say that I would never know if a killer was using surveillance or whispers unless I played in a single match for a very long time. Consequently, I wouldn’t know if I was under surveillance. Also, as a bonus, DS, BNP, and Overcharge have great skill checks that a survivor is expected to hit. Surveillance would apply to those survivors as well.

In the proposed change, survivors would be giving the killer constant updates as to where they were if they were doing gens/healing/sabotaging if the survivors were experienced at the game. Survivors who are newer would not give notifications. In this way, it’s a self-scaling perk across ranks and hours that grows in power the better the survivors are. It seems like a pretty solid perk to me. I’m curious if I can contend with any other objections you might have.

SURVEILLANCE:

That sounds just awful 
    How so? How might the perk be modified, in your opinion, to change the criteria that is causing you to give it no chance as a good rework for whatever reason that may be.

@Kind_Lemon said:
    @TAG  said:

Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

I’m not sure how to disagree politely with what you said, so please understand that I’m not being antagonistic or unreasonable when I say that I would never know if a killer was using surveillance or whispers unless I played in a single match for a very long time. Consequently, I wouldn’t know if I was under surveillance. Also, as a bonus, DS, BNP, and Overcharge have great skill checks that a survivor is expected to hit. Surveillance would apply to those survivors as well.

In the proposed change, survivors would be giving the killer constant updates as to where they were if they were doing gens/healing/sabotaging if the survivors were experienced at the game. Survivors who are newer would not give notifications. In this way, it’s a self-scaling perk across ranks and hours that grows in power the better the survivors are. It seems like a pretty solid perk to me. I’m curious if I can contend with any other objections you might have.

Survivors would likely catch on to the fact that you are running the perk if they suddenly find you moving in their direction not long after you hit a Great Skill Check. From there, they would just fail the next skill check they can, alert their team about it, and no one would shoot for great skill checks again. If you don't run up to them quickly, what was the point of using the perk if you're just letting them go about their business?

edited January 14
    @TAG  said:

@Kind_Lemon said:
    @TAG  said:

Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

Survivors would likely catch on to the fact that you are running the perk if they suddenly find you moving in their direction not long after you hit a Great Skill Check. From there, they would just fail the next skill check they can, alert their team about it, and no one would shoot for great skill checks again. If you don't run up to them quickly, what was the point of using the perk if you're just letting them go about their business?

You give far too much credit to the intelligence of survivors XD. Some of the dumb stuff they do even when they know I have Tombstone/Infinite Tier 3/Mint Rag with MYC is hilarious!

On a more serious note, A killer can’t possibly head to the locations of three different survivors in different places who all just hit great skill checks to avoid Hex:Ruin. I also honestly don’t think survivors will prioritize not being marked by Surveillance over avoiding a ruinous good skill check.

@Kind_Lemon said:
    @TAG  said:

@Kind_Lemon said:

@TAG  said:

Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

You give far too much credit to the intelligence of survivors XD. Some of the dumb stuff they do even when they know I have Tombstone/Infinite Tier 3/Mint Rag with MYC is hilarious!

On a more serious note, A killer can’t possibly head to the locations of three different survivors in different places who all just hit great skill checks to avoid Hex:Ruin. I also honestly don’t think survivors will prioritize not being marked by Surveillance over avoiding a ruinous good skill check.

Note that you were referring to "experienced" survivors in your comments. Those people would definitely catch on and play around it. The bad survivors that you mention would probably not trigger the perk nearly often enough to make it worth it.

As for Ruin, wouldn't a good number of Survivors look for the totem if they knew it was in play? Even moreso if they caught on to the fact that you have Surveillance?

@Kind_Lemon said:
    @TAG  said:

Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

I actually thought that idea was pretty interesting. A perk that scales up and gets more difficult to deal with based on how good survivors are at the game!?!? That'd be amazing. Thats some 300IQ type shit.

@TAG said:
    Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

Thats the beauty in it though......when you fail a skill check most of the time....the killer will know. Fail a gen skill check BOOM makes a notification. Fail a self care skillcheck, these also make notifications. Even if you're smart enough to force the perk off of yourself your attempt at removing it would still out your location. And for the people who manage to go through 30% of a bar without a skillcheck or people with luck mods or something they'd be quiet as a mouse. Although with tracking perks it is wise to consider how powerful the thing would be in the hands of any given killer. Some highly mobile killers benefit a bit too much if you overtune a tracking perk.

@TAG said:
    Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

Thats the beauty in it though......when you fail a skill check most of the time....the killer will know. Fail a gen skill check BOOM makes a notification. Fail a self care skillcheck, these also make notifications. Even if you're smart enough to force the perk off of yourself your attempt at removing it would still out your location. And for the people who manage to go through 30% of a bar without a skillcheck or people with luck mods or something they'd be quiet as a mouse. Although with tracking perks it is wise to consider how powerful the thing would be in the hands of any given killer. Some highly mobile killers benefit a bit too much if you overtune a tracking perk.

Yeah, failing the skill check to get the penalty off will reveal their location.  Once.
  • ad19970ad19970 Member Posts: 461

The perk is really great now. Went from useless to extremely viable. They did a great job buffing the perk. In my opinion.
    One thing though. I see you are particularly worried about the 3 gen strat, when gens are close to each other. Honestly though, if two survivors are left and 3 gens are close to each other, the killer will find you very fast even without the perk anyways since he just goes back and forth and can immediately tell if someone worked on one of the gens or not.

• ad19970ad19970 Member Posts: 461

@Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

It's an interesting idea. As much as I personally like the new buff to Surveillance, I wouldn't mind if it got a different buff instead, as long as it is just as useful. However, I feel like this idea wouldn't work to well. This perk could be totally avoided by just hitting good skill checks. Which could make the perk quite weak. On the contrary, it could become overpowered with Hex: Ruin, since you'll either lose a lot of time by always hitting only good skill checks, or constantly reveal your position to the killer since you are trying to hit great skill checks to avoid generator regression. There would need to be another condition for when survivors get marked.
    Honestly though, If I could choose, I would just make that it's own perk, seeing as how the devs still need to come up with more ideas for upcoming perks. And I feel a perk like this would make a great new perk. I don't think Surveillance will cause to much trouble.

• WateryWatery Member Posts: 341
    The PTB can change at any time.
    These ideas can be scrapped altogether. Just wait until the survey comes out to voice better feedback- as it has been around much longer than it has now.
  • ToastfaceKillaToastfaceKilla Member Posts: 106

W@Bravo0413 said:
    This /.......... killer holding the game hostage is a scenario where they body block a survivor in a corner and keep them there until they DC

What about this scenario:
    There are two Survivors alive and 1 Generator left. The Killer is the Hillbilly. Each Survivor attempts to repair a Generator, but the Killer just uses his sprint to easily go from one Generator to another. He kicks the Generator, patrols a little bit so that the Generator regresses, finds no one, goes back to the previous Generator and repeats.
    It happened to me once and that match lasted around 30 minutes until the other Survivor dc'ed and I got caught while trying to find the hatch. Whether it is considered holding the game hostage or not, it wasn't fun at all. Imagine what a Hilbilly would be able to do with Surveillance.

Survivor A breaks cover and tries to lead Billy away far enough for Survivor B to finish the gen.

Simples.

@TAG said:

@Kind_Lemon said:
    @TAG  said:

@Kind_Lemon said:

@TAG  said:

Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

Note that you were referring to "experienced" survivors in your comments. Those people would definitely catch on and play around it. The bad survivors that you mention would probably not trigger the perk nearly often enough to make it worth it.

As for Ruin, wouldn't a good number of Survivors look for the totem if they knew it was in play? Even moreso if they caught on to the fact that you have Surveillance?

I do refer to “experienced” survivors, and I can see that we will continue to disagree about how much intelligence “experienced” survivors have, and I don’t just mean that in the stupid way. It would, again, be theoretically just as hard to discern if the killer had Surveillance as if the killer had Whispers. Anyway, you leave out in your response the majority of the players, which are the group that is not completely “experienced” nor entirely “bad” at the game. There exists a gradient between the two that constitutes the majority of survivors this perk would be used against. To keep in mind, I’m not suggesting that a perk such as Surveillance needs to be as strong as A Nurse’s Calling, especially when considering the difference in the top tiers’ respective rarities (Ultra-Rare and Rare in design).

Concerning your Hex:Ruin comment, as far as I was aware, survivors not doing gens and instead running around the map aimlessly looking for a totem causing them to activate a killer perk that isn’t the end-all-be-all is a good thing. Those survivors aren’t doing gens, but you phrase your sentence in a way as to suggest to the unaware that survivors not doing gens is a bad thing. Solo survivors have no way of knowing where others have searched, and this is the same even now. SWF breaks the game again, but this post isn’t about that. What it is about is a change to a badly designed perk and ill-considered rework to a perk that not only A. Scales with Rank, B. Works on expanding already existing mechanics, C. Allows for survivor stealth, and D. Requires more brains from players to interpret the information given.

@PigMainBigBrain said:

@Kind_Lemon said:
    @TAG  said:

Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

I actually thought that idea was pretty interesting. A perk that scales up and gets more difficult to deal with based on how good survivors are at the game!?!? That'd be amazing. Thats some 300IQ type shit.

Well, thank you. I’m glad you enjoyed the post :)

@TAG said:

@Kind_Lemon said:
    @TAG  said:

@Kind_Lemon said:

@TAG  said:

Kind_Lemon said:

SURVEILLANCE:

I do refer to “experienced” survivors, and I can see that we will continue to disagree about how much intelligence “experienced” survivors have, and I don’t just mean that in the stupid way. It would, again, be theoretically just as hard to discern if the killer had Surveillance as if the killer had Whispers. Anyway, you leave out in your response the majority of the players, which are the group that is not completely “experienced” nor entirely “bad” at the game. There exists a gradient between the two that constitutes the majority of survivors this perk would be used against. To keep in mind, I’m not suggesting that a perk such as Surveillance needs to be as strong as A Nurse’s Calling, especially when considering the difference in the top tiers’ respective rarities (Ultra-Rare and Rare in design).

Concerning your Hex:Ruin comment, as far as I was aware, survivors not doing gens and instead running around the map aimlessly looking for a totem causing them to activate a killer perk that isn’t the end-all-be-all is a good thing. Those survivors aren’t doing gens, but you phrase your sentence in a way as to suggest to the unaware that survivors not doing gens is a bad thing. Solo survivors have no way of knowing where others have searched, and this is the same even now. SWF breaks the game again, but this post isn’t about that. What it is about is a change to a badly designed perk and ill-considered rework to a perk that not only A. Scales with Rank, B. Works on expanding already existing mechanics, C. Allows for survivor stealth, and D. Requires more brains from players to interpret the information given.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the Survivor experience thing.  I believe the ones who will hit the Great checks with even mild consistency will know to play around your Surveillance, and the ones that can't (the majority, as you say) will not trigger your perk idea enough to make it worthwhile.

Also, I didn't suggest that people looking for Ruin was a bad thing.  What I suggested is that Ruin isn't going to make your perk idea as useful as you think because people will likely just search for the totem instead of entertain tanking through it (and the ones that are good enough to try to tank through it are more likely to be the ones who would play around your Surveillance if they suspect it to be in play.

I think SWF makes an idea already limited in usefulness even more limited in usefulness.  I think it is trying to be unique and clever (which, to your credit, it is), but I would MUCH MUCH rather use the Surveillance perk in the PTB than the one you have proposed.
  • BlackendSeaBlackendSea Member Posts: 36
    Would technician be useful for someone going against a killer with this perk?
  • RaizinzRaizinz Member Posts: 4

OP. sounds like you should probably go to a different gen instead of camping out at one for 5-10 minutes and complaining every time the killer comes around and does their job, someone else other than you is playing the game, the killer is not an NPC. Stealth play is beyond obnoxious and there is a reason why majority of veteran survivors deliberately bait and loop the killer rather than full immersion sneaking about, wasting a tremendous amount of the killer's time, which can lead to 3 gens getting popped while one runs around the map in the most efficient scenarios. There are entire builds wrapped around this very thing; stealth player gets found and chased for a brief time because they don't have perks wrapped around getting chased whereas the other players have every perk they can that keeps the killer's attention while putting as much distance as possible; a chase that results in 1 hook and 1+ gens is a loss

2»