We just reverted our Matchmaking to the previous version. We gathered a lot of feedback in the last weeks that will help us improve the general quality of the system. More information will be provided later this week on the upcoming changes. Thank you for your understanding.
2.6.0 is now available for download on all platform
The new content from Demise of the Faithful is available immediately in the in-game store. DLC is available on Steam / Playstation Store EU / Playstation Store NA / XBOX
Patch Notes: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/patch-notes
Emblem blogpost: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/52295/the-emblem-system-changes-explained#latest

DERANKING IS NOT OK!

AzralynnAzralynn Member Posts: 8

Deranking in Dead by Daylight hurts the game and the community in the long run. I am truly baffled as to why so many people defend this practice, and actually boast about it or promote it.

In this video I give my thoughts on deranking, why it's bad, and how it could be fixed and/or addressed by Behaviour:

Comments

• Might_OakkMight_Oakk Member Posts: 926
    edited January 10

As long as BHVR has chosen streamers as "fog travelers" who intentionally derank it's a losing battle. As long as the studio effectively promotes deranking, people will think it's ok. Tbh there isn't even a warning when you leave the game via menu to derank.

• VietfoxVietfox Member Posts: 3,826
    I haven't watched the video but yeah, deranking on purpose is garbage.
  • MasterMaster Member Posts: 9,763
    edited January 10

Deranking is only a thing because ranking up actually hurts your gameplay and because there are no rewards at all.

I wonder why I never heard of deranking in CSGO or LOL.....

Also we gotta decide first whether DBD is a competitive or a casual game. (no normal mode btw?)

In the end, you will never be able to punish deranking since players actually should derank in order to reach their true elo (in DBD thats a different story), but what they need to do is implement some DC punishments

• powerbatspowerbats Member Posts: 6,491

@Master said:
    Deranking is only a thing because ranking up actually hurts your gameplay and because there are no rewards at all.

Also we gotta decide first whether DBD is a competitive or a casual game. (no normal mode btw?)

Deranking was done lots in League so people could have an easier time ranking up and CSGO had it albeit smaller amount and CS did as well. It got people good press for rising from the ashes of their defeat and gaining more sheep I mean followers.

@powerbats said:

@Master said:

Deranking was done lots in League so people could have an easier time ranking up and CSGO had it albeit smaller amount and CS did as well. It got people good press for rising from the ashes of their defeat and gaining more sheep I mean followers.

Ive been playing LOL since beta, took a huge break and recently started again. Ive never ever heard of someone deranking (in fact thats bannable in lol). What people do though is smurf with new accounts and rank up those.

• ModernFableModernFable Member Posts: 577
    Until there’s some enticing rewards for ranking up, people are going to continue to do this.
  • DehitayDehitay Member Posts: 190

I don't defend deranking, but in my own way, I promote it. If it ever gets to the point where 90% of the playerbase is at rank 15, then Behavior would actually be forced to do something about it. Why the hell they haven't done something already is mind boggling.

It's almost unanimous that there needs to be rank rewards to keep people at high ranks. As of right now, deranking rewards you with both easier gameplay and for high rank killers, quicker queue times. The system of not rewarding people for ranking up, but rewarding them for ranking down is obviously flawed.

• inkedsoulzinkedsoulz Member Posts: 93

@Master said:

In the end, you will never be able to punish deranking since players actually should derank in order to reach their true elo (in DBD thats a different story), but what they need to do is implement some DC punishments

The equivalent on those games are called "smurf accounts" you have heard of those right?

Diamond/Master players playing on their new accs that are on Silver or Gold and stomping the newbies that play at that ELO

Same on CSGO.

• albino_squirrelalbino_squirrel Member Posts: 2
    edited January 10

Deranking exists in all games and every game has to deal with it eventually so I'm hoping the team doesn't just "psft" this topic away and continues to follow the trends of other game developers who actually work to combat deranking (especially since they're actually endorsing someone who brags about this form of cheating).

Regardless of how one deranks, it can be combated by a lot of changes to the rank system. Making seasons longer and keeping higher ranks at higher ranks for longer periods of time as well as incentivizing people for getting higher ranks.

However, don't be fooled by anyone using flaws in the ranking system as their bullshit excuse to derank. There's no amount of lame ass excuses for it and, truth be told, even if those systems were put in place, I'm willing to bet those people would still try to find a way around the system with third party software and other means. So please, don't fall for anyone trying to play victim by pointing to the flaws in ranks as their excuse. It's bullshit. As is with any game where ranks are involved, always will be.

• DragonredkingDragonredking Member Posts: 714

Their shouldn't be rank in the first place, even less monthly rank reset.

• albino_squirrelalbino_squirrel Member Posts: 2
    edited January 11

Post edited by albino_squirrel on

@Master said:

@powerbats said:

@Master said:

Ive been playing LOL since beta, took a huge break and recently started again. Ive never ever heard of someone deranking (in fact thats bannable in lol). What people do though is smurf with new accounts and rank up those.

I started back in middle of S1 took some breaks off and on and am on a break again right now but the ones doing it got caught and ironically cam to the forums complaining about it then. They tried the well I should be able to derank on purpose and ruin others games argument.

As you can imagine that didn't go over well since some were doing it at Diamond and then it became well the game is FTP etc etc etc. Mostly it's no longer happening and like you said the smurf thing is annoying especially when they try and ruin your games because they want to troll you.

The worst ones were the ones on smurfs who would during ranked try out Karma top during your promotion matches then rage quit when it didn't work out. They didn't care because it was a smurf account anyways but Riot finally started banning main account as well.

• Rebel_RavenRebel_Raven Member Posts: 1,647
    I suppose it is a slightly different subject, but survivors also "derank" via SWF. 
    They still keep their current rank, and might even rank up, but they work with lower ranking survivors to screw with the match making and end up in trials with low ranking killers to much the same result. Bullying, trying to look better than they are, etc.

And yeah, if a survivor DCs early on, I usually take it easy on the other 3. Get the points I can and generally let them escape. Usually they still BM me.
  • AzralynnAzralynn Member Posts: 8

@Rebel_Raven said:
    I suppose it is a slightly different subject, but survivors also "derank" via SWF. 
    They still keep their current rank, and might even rank up, but they work with lower ranking survivors to screw with the match making and end up in trials with low ranking killers to much the same result. Bullying, trying to look better than they are, etc.

And yeah, if a survivor DCs early on, I usually take it easy on the other 3. Get the points I can and generally let them escape. Usually they still BM me.

Sometimes I have people that are very new to the game that I play with as a rank 1 in SWF. When I am playing with these legitimately new players, yes I go against an easier killer for me, BUT I'm really trash at looping and we all usually die anyway barring some hatch play or just dumb luck. I play with YT Members, and Twitch subs no matter what rank, but I do my best to not be toxic or bm the killer.

I would be 100% ok with them putting in a system like this though: Give me (the high rank player(s)) an increasing move speed penalty when in chase after a certain amount of time. This penalty increases the longer the killer is chasing. It would make it so that high ranks can't run killers for too long, and eventually the killers WILL down the high ranks. 

@inkedsoulz said:

@Master said:

The equivalent on those games are called "smurf accounts" you have heard of those right?

Diamond/Master players playing on their new accs that are on Silver or Gold and stomping the newbies that play at that ELO

Same on CSGO.

The difference is that by deranking you actively ruin many games during the process of deranking while smurfing is just you creating a new account and starting from zero.

I'm not saying smurfing is ok, cuz I know how much it sucks going against smurfs. But I would rather see people level up a fresh account than intentionally throw games and derank screwing over others in the process.

• Kaori1Kaori1 Member Posts: 3

Streamers should be held to a higher standard, not given special treatment. These people are the face of our community, especially if they're "fog travelers". This title should be a privilege not a free pass to openly break the rules.

@Azralynn said:
    I'm not saying smurfing is ok, cuz I know how much it sucks going against smurfs. But I would rather see people level up a fresh account than intentionally throw games and derank screwing over others in the process.

But you're forcing people to buy a new account each time they want to play with someone new and that's even more unfair then killers have it.

I'd prefer having a alternate option so that if you're playing with lowbies you could have a duplicate of that toon but it starts at the same rank. So if you bring 3 level 1's into the game you have a toon that's only level 1 as well.

@powerbats said:

@Azralynn said:

But you're forcing people to buy a new account each time they want to play with someone new and that's even more unfair then killers have it.

I'd prefer having a alternate option so that if you're playing with lowbies you could have a duplicate of that toon but it starts at the same rank. So if you bring 3 level 1's into the game you have a toon that's only level 1 as well.

I never said people had to buy a new account to play with people. I just think smurfing is the lesser of two evils when compared to deranking since at least that character is starting without all the strong perks and items.

As I mentioned in an earlier post: I would be 100% ok with them putting in a system like this: Give the high rank player(s) an increasing move speed penalty when in chase after a certain amount of time. This penalty increases the longer the killer is chasing. It would make it so that high ranks can't run killers for too long, and eventually the killers WILL down the high ranks.

@Azralynn said:

@powerbats said:

@Azralynn said:
    I'm not saying smurfing is ok, cuz I know how much it sucks going against smurfs. **But I would rather see people level up a fresh account **than intentionally throw games and derank screwing over others in the process.

I never said people had to buy a new account to play with people. I just think smurfing is the lesser of two evils when compared to deranking since at least that character is starting without all the strong perks and items.

As I mentioned in an earlier post: I would be 100% ok with them putting in a system like this: Give the high rank player(s) an increasing move speed penalty when in chase after a certain amount of time. This penalty increases the longer the killer is chasing. It would make it so that high ranks can't run killers for too long, and eventually the killers WILL down the high ranks.

But in a sense you imply that for those deranking which is mostly killers they should buy a new account and to a lesser extent survivors. You'd also could argue you want swf to buy a new account to play with their friends and a speed penalty woulds tills crew the newbies over.

Since if the killer is experienced they'd figure it out pretty quickly and simply tunnel the reduced speed person thus removing them from the match quicker. The sheep would then be like fresh meat for the killer since they wouldn't have to worry anymore.

Far better to limit their perks and items/addons and or as i suggested give them a clone but it's the same level as their friends just starting out level 1. They also couldn't spend any bp on it except what they earn with that toon.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • inkedsoulzinkedsoulz Member Posts: 93

@PintoBeef said:
    If there was a reward for being higher rank other than an emblem, people would be more enticed. The queue time just end up being abysmal, and it just stops being fun.
    Maybe auric cells for reaching rank 1 the first time every season, and an increasing amount if shards for how long you stay that way?
    Hell, I don't know, but you can't expect people to be in a spot where the game doesn't reward you for being good 

I have instaqueues on rank 1, both for survivor and killer.

edited January 11
    If there was a reward for being higher rank other than an emblem, people would be more enticed. The queue time just end up being abysmal, and it just stops being fun.
    Maybe auric cells for reaching rank 1 the first time every season, and an increasing amount if shards for how long you stay that way?
    Hell, I don't know, but you can't expect people to be in a spot where the game doesn't reward you for being good 
    Queue times are not that long at rank 1, only if you got friends at lower ranks messing up with the matchmaking system. Queue time is a poor excuse used by derankers to justify deranking.
    PS: the reward for being rank 1 is to have higher chances to face good killers. Don't you like yo face people with the same skills as yours?
  • Condorloco_26Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 837

@Vietfox said:

Queue times are not that long at rank 1, only if you got friends at lower ranks messing up with the matchmaking system. Queue time is a poor excuse used by derankers to justify deranking.
    PS: the reward for being rank 1 is to have higher chances to face good killers. Don't you like yo face people with the same skills as yours?

This explains the whole queue issue. People should stop SWFing with low ranks in order to face a less experienced killer. Or the game should pick the highest ranked survivor and matchmake around that rank.

@Vietfox said:

This explains the whole queue issue. People should stop SWFing with low ranks in order to face a less experienced killer. Or the game should pick the highest ranked survivor and matchmake around that rank.

@Condorloco_26
    I totally agree, thing is that some of my friends are just casual players, so no chance to be at the same rank.
    Picking the highest rank would be the best solution to fix the long queue times.

@Vietfox said:

@Condorloco_26
    I totally agree, thing is that some of my friends are just casual players, so no chance to be at the same rank.
    Picking the highest rank would be the best solution to fix the long queue times.

My bad, I should've specified SWFing with low ranks intentionally in order to exploit the matchmaking system. I've faced games with 3 R1 and 1 R15, and then I see that the R15 loops just as well, knows the tiles, runs from pallet to pallet, etc. It could mean two things, the first one: these guys have a friend that hasn't played in 3 or 4 months but somehow kept track of all the map changes, or the second one: one guy is smurfing in order to get a R15 killer and they all can have "a great time".

Good thing in those cases their little plot didn't work and they got the right match. But I've read a lot of comments of killers saying they're facing R1 and R2 when they themselves are playing at R12 or so. And I remember long ago when I was ranking up, playing around R15 and facing red ranks frequently, I couldn't imagine why, at the moment.

Watched the vid. Good thing there are people very vocal about this problem. I didn't even know there were 3rd party programs allowing people to manually set their ranks. That should be perma-bannable 100%.

Your comment about getting toxic messages almost exclusively from survivors also rings a bell and sadly I will have to agree. I have hundreds and hundreds of texts from survivors stored in my inbox (ps4), and maybe just a couple coming from killers. For being M-rated, this game sure has a lot of children playing.

@Vietfox said:

@Condorloco_26

My bad, I should've specified SWFing with low ranks intentionally in order to exploit the matchmaking system. I've faced games with 3 R1 and 1 R15, and then I see that the R15 loops just as well, knows the tiles, runs from pallet to pallet, etc. It could mean two things, the first one: these guys have a friend that hasn't played in 3 or 4 months but somehow kept track of all the map changes, or the second one: one guy is smurfing in order to get a R15 killer and they all can have "a great time".

Good thing in those cases their little plot didn't work and they got the right match. But I've read a lot of comments of killers saying they're facing R1 and R2 when they themselves are playing at R12 or so. And I remember long ago when I was ranking up, playing around R15 and facing red ranks frequently, I couldn't imagine why, at the moment.

I know, i was just saying. The friends i meant are between rank 5 and 9 so it's not that bad since we are 3 rank 1 + 1 purple rank. But most of the times we are all rank 1 anyway.
    As i said, picking the highest rank would be the best solution when swf are at different ranks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 13
    The user and all related content has been deleted.