We have been made aware of two new exploits that could potentially be abused to ruin the enjoyment of others. While our team investigates and fixes these issues, we will be banning players who abuse the following (in accordance of our game rules, which can be found here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19450/):
- 2+ killers in a match exploit: Abusing bugs to join a public match a second killer
- Legion mend time exploit: Abusing a bug with Filthy Blade and Nasty Blade add-ons to greatly extend mending time

If you witness a player abusing the Legion mend time exploit, please be sure to report them through the in-game report system. There is no need to report the 2+ killers in a match exploit. We have access to data that will allow us to find the players abusing the exploit.

Hex hiding

yobudddyobuddd Member Posts: 171

After offerings are revealed and everyone waits for the game to load, the killer enters the game to place a hex totem in a custom spot. Now this will be a very small portion of the map about the size of the basement. It will be quickly (poorly) rendered so as to not drastically increase overall load time for all players.

Once a totem is placed, he instantly appears in a random location to do the same with the next hex. Altogether he is given 15 or so seconds and if he runs out of time, remaining totems are automatically placed at random like normal.

Since I’m not sure of how feasible this would be without drastically changing the loading process, here are some alternatives:

—Instead of rendering the map portion, the killer sees a top-down view of it with a visible grid of floor tiles to choose from.

—While loading every match, the killer places all totems (dull and hex) until time is up. If loading time increases, survivors won’t be tipped off as they will understand that totems are being placed each game regardless of hexes.

Concern: Is it unfair for the killer to know which hex he is placing the totem for?

Concern: is it unfair for the killer to know which map is being played before the survivors enter the game?

Comments

  • yobudddyobuddd Member Posts: 171

    As a completely different idea, the killer (or player account) can choose to place totems from the loadout screen. He walks around the map of his choice at liesure and places all totems. These settings are applied each time a match starts in a given location, and dull totems still light up as hexes at random.

    This will also count as a training option for players to explore maps.

    I could imagine some funny scenarios where all totems are clustered in one spot. This could be abused too though, huh? Hmmmmm. Perhaps require a minimum distance between the totems before they can be placed.

  • BonkoulBonkoul Member Posts: 12

    I like the idea of each account having the ability of choosing a place for each of the 5 totems on each map before starting any lobby. Would propose though having on the "maps" a phantom of each spawnable item locations in the game so that you don't overlap one totem with one of the other items location.

  • MushwinMushwin Member Posts: 887

    Maybe hexes should be invisible until least one gen is done....

  • yobudddyobuddd Member Posts: 171

    @Bonkoul said:
    I like the idea of each account having the ability of choosing a place for each of the 5 totems on each map before starting any lobby. Would propose though having on the "maps" a phantom of each spawnable item locations in the game so that you don't overlap one totem with one of the other items location.

    I could be wrong, but I believe the spawning points for various items (generators, hooks, chests, etc.) are random. Rather than having specific places, they just follow rules like how far apart they have to be from other items of the same type, and some tiles having a greater chance of spawning one.

    That’s just the long way of saying that if a totem has been placed on a tile by the killer, it should simply reduce the spawn chance for any other item on that tile to zero.

    Now as I said, I could be wrong and generators and hooks may only have certain tiles they can spawn on. If this is the case, then when placing a totem I think it should show a visual outline of where it wold be. A white outline means you can place it on the current tile, and red means you can’t. The reason I would prefer this is it doesn’t tell you which item you totemis competing with. It reduces the chance of players memorizing all he possible spawn locations for certain items (“oooooh, so chests will only spawn in these spots eh?”)

  • nightfallnightfall Member Posts: 9

    @Mushwin said:
    Maybe hexes should be invisible until least one gen is done....

    That would be GG for lower ranked teams which can't even get 1 gen done with ruin up

    Having gex totems appear as dull totems for the first minute of the game would be more suitable

  • e8Latticee8Lattice Member Posts: 189

    Why don't we just tie hexes to killers chests and spawn survivors in already hooked on stage 3, that'd make it fair and balanced for all!

    Empty lobby simulator inc.

  • yobudddyobuddd Member Posts: 171

    @nightfall said:

    @Mushwin said:
    Maybe hexes should be invisible until least one gen is done....

    That would be GG for lower ranked teams which can't even get 1 gen done with ruin up

    Having gex totems appear as dull totems for the first minute of the game would be more suitable

    I really like this idea! The totems are still vulnerable, but less likely to be targeted since they appear to be dull. Oh, if a survivor breaks an un-lit hex, I believe they should receive an even greater bloodpoint reward than normal.

    If this mechanic were to be introduced I to the game, there could also be related perks and offering that follow. These could affect how long it takes for dull totems to appear as hexes. Furthermore, the ability of killers to hide hexes in general will greatly increase the value of the “small game” perk.

  • MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,208

    @yobuddd said:
    After offerings are revealed and everyone waits for the game to load, the killer enters the game to place a hex totem in a custom spot. Now this will be a very small portion of the map about the size of the basement. It will be quickly (poorly) rendered so as to not drastically increase overall load time for all players.

    Once a totem is placed, he instantly appears in a random location to do the same with the next hex. Altogether he is given 15 or so seconds and if he runs out of time, remaining totems are automatically placed at random like normal.

    Since I’m not sure of how feasible this would be without drastically changing the loading process, here are some alternatives:

    —Instead of rendering the map portion, the killer sees a top-down view of it with a visible grid of floor tiles to choose from.

    —While loading every match, the killer places all totems (dull and hex) until time is up. If loading time increases, survivors won’t be tipped off as they will understand that totems are being placed each game regardless of hexes.

    Concern: Is it unfair for the killer to know which hex he is placing the totem for?

    Concern: is it unfair for the killer to know which map is being played before the survivors enter the game?

    The problem with this is the insane effort such a implementation would take (I guess).

    Both your concerns are not a big deal if you ask me

  • yobudddyobuddd Member Posts: 171

    @Master said:

    @yobuddd said:
    After offerings are revealed and everyone waits for the game to load, the killer enters the game to place a hex totem in a custom spot. Now this will be a very small portion of the map about the size of the basement. It will be quickly (poorly) rendered so as to not drastically increase overall load time for all players.

    Once a totem is placed, he instantly appears in a random location to do the same with the next hex. Altogether he is given 15 or so seconds and if he runs out of time, remaining totems are automatically placed at random like normal.

    Since I’m not sure of how feasible this would be without drastically changing the loading process, here are some alternatives:

    —Instead of rendering the map portion, the killer sees a top-down view of it with a visible grid of floor tiles to choose from.

    —While loading every match, the killer places all totems (dull and hex) until time is up. If loading time increases, survivors won’t be tipped off as they will understand that totems are being placed each game regardless of hexes.

    Concern: Is it unfair for the killer to know which hex he is placing the totem for?

    Concern: is it unfair for the killer to know which map is being played before the survivors enter the game?

    The problem with this is the insane effort such a implementation would take (I guess).

    Both your concerns are not a big deal if you ask me

    I completely agree with you. In fact I think maybe I should make a new thread just discussing the far superior 2nd idea (where the killer can pre-customize hex locations before starting any games). Still, I appreciate the input!

  • TarveshTarvesh Member Posts: 377
    The reason I don’t use Hexes is because they can be destroyed. A survivor can spawn in staring at it and you’ve completely wasted a perk.

    Something has to be done. 

    Maybe only make each totem appear after a generator has been completed? And they can only appear outside of a certain distance of any survivor?
  • yobudddyobuddd Member Posts: 171

    @Tarvesh said:
    The reason I don’t use Hexes is because they can be destroyed. A survivor can spawn in staring at it and you’ve completely wasted a perk.

    Something has to be done. 

    Maybe only make each totem appear after a generator has been completed? And they can only appear outside of a certain distance of any survivor?

    I’ve had the same frustration many times, but we have to consider the survivor's fairness as well. If there’s a hex like Ruin out there, many of the newer players would never be able to finish that first generator in order to even have a chance at destroying the hex.

    Perhaps a better solution would be for the killer to start off carrying the hex totems, while dull totems still spawn randomly. This will ensure survivors don’t get to destroy the hexes right away. The killer can place them wherever, but the hex perks aren’t active until the totem is placed. The more I think about it, the more I really like this.

    My idea from earlier was to have killers pre-select hex locations. Perhaps in the loadout screen the killer could toggle between using customized presets or placing hexes during the match.

Sign In or Register to comment.