Are you ready to see the Cursed Legacy trailer?
UPDATE: Upon further investigation, we are happy to say that no members of the Dead by Daylight forums had their data compromised in the breach over the past weekend. All passwords have been reset as a precautionary measure, please be sure to update your password as soon as possible using the password reset button.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused!
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Newbie Misconceptions

2»

Comments

• Mr_MyersMr_Myers Member Posts: 422
    I hit the survivor on the hook to kill them faster

Premonition triggering meant the killer was coming

Quick and Quiet was OP

Sabo was deadly (played a month after sabo nerf and had no idea it got gutted)

Why Myers players went AFK so often
  • MegMain98MegMain98 Member Posts: 1,554
    edited February 16

I only played survivor for the first four months of playing the game. I started a little bit after the release of The Saw Chapter. Things I thought...

Meg was the runner and was the fastest character so I chose her to start with

Laurie had the best survivability due to her being the “final girl” trope

I had NO idea to crouch over the Hag’s traps or that flashlights destroyed them

This one is so nooby but everytime the killer would always be able to follow me step for step I thought they were just a genius because I didn’t know what scratch marks were.

I even blew up gens everytime my first game because I thought L1 was L2

I didn’t even know what Adrenaline did for the first month, I just knew I went faster when the gates were powered so I thought all characters went faster when the gates opened.

I always played F13 The Game before this and I was REALLY good at that game. I was thinking about things like stamina and speed. Playing that game really helped a lot with this and didn’t make me too entirely terrible

• e8Latticee8Lattice Member Posts: 189

@Theluckyboi said:
    i always crouched when i was next to crows because i thought the killer received a notification each time i alerted a crow

This is now a true statement thanks to spies from the shadows buff.

@MegMain98 said:

I had NO idea to crouch over the Hag’s traps or that flashlights destroyed them

I used to think you had to crouch next to Hag traps and brush them away somehow. I gave this theory up after the first attempt failed and just assumed you couldn't destroy them and can only sneak by them.

• fluffybunnyfluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161
    edited February 16

@Theluckyboi I believe back then I would crouch everywhere 'cause I was afraid of leaving marks.

@Mr_Myers When I first started, I thought sabboing was super mean and didn't mess with it at all. I think I had heard from somewhere that it really upset killers and I didn't want to really upset anyone. MYERS GOES AFK, that's adorable.

@MegMain98 I think a lot of people don't know about scratch marks when first starting off. I only knew of them thanks to watching people play both sides (I used to watch dlive a lot, but he's a bit too salty now for my taste).

• TeaLeafTeaLeaf Member Posts: 205

When i was a newb I thought this was a scary horror game. Then i found it to be tag simulator with a Halloween theme/skin.

• Mat_SellaMat_Sella Member Posts: 1,084
    • The concept of Wraith was horrifying
    • Exposed meant you were visible to the killer (still think it should be renamed)
    • The basement had more than one escape and was also horrifying ( i was too scared to ever go in the basement and assumed there was another way out)
    • Trapper traps didnt notify the trapper when you snapped them
    • when the huntress laughed during her hum, that means she caught you
    • crouching everywhere wasn't a waste of time

@Mat_Sella said:

• The concept of Wraith was horrifying
    • Exposed meant you were visible to the killer (still think it should be renamed)
    • The basement had more than one escape and was also horrifying ( i was too scared to ever go in the basement and assumed there was another way out)
    • Trapper traps didnt notify the trapper when you snapped them
    • when the huntress laughed during her hum, that means she caught you
    • crouching everywhere wasn't a waste of time

I've had some people I was playing with who thought exposed meant killers could see them and was confused when they got one-hit downed. The terming is quite confusing, I agree.

• PigNRunPigNRun Member Posts: 2,033

As the last Survivor alive, I would think that when people said "Look for the hatch", they meant a type of hatchet hidden somewhere on the map that you could use to injure/kill the Killer.

• PeasantPeasant Member Posts: 3,817

When I was new I thought that Saboteur broke hooks permanently (this was in 2017, mind you). I also thought that flashlights were always toxic and OP. (I hadn't realized that the survivors are just trying to save their buddy for the team's sake. I also hadn't discovered the wall trick yet.)

• Dead_by_DavidDead_by_David Member Posts: 270

I used to think Exposed meant the killer could see your aura and I would run around panicking. Now I know what it actually is and still run panicking xD

• KingBKingB Member Posts: 747
    edited February 24
    I didn't realize the tings warned you about skill checks
  • GrootDudeGrootDude Member, Trusted Posts: 11,853

@KingB said:
    I didn't realize the tings warned you about skill checks

Me too fellow David main. (assuming because of your picture)

I thought crouching rapidly was like Dead Hard and actually allowed you to dodge hits (because so many Survivors where doing it)

• ChiChi Member Posts: 760

Up until like 400 hours I thought there were 5 dull totems and a hex perk spawned a new totem, so there would be 6 totems.

I thought urban evasion and premonition were amazing perks.

I didn't know you could see the wraith cloaked.

I didn't know you were supposed to follow scratch marks. I honestly did not notice them until someone pointed it out. I just thought they were random claw marks all over the place at certain spots

• Nea_Death_ExperienceNea_Death_Experience Member Posts: 316

I played years ago and then didn't do well and then didn't pick it up for ages. I thought there was a black guy that looked like Russman from COD Blops 2 Zombies.
    I think it was Bill? The game was darker back then and I didn't know what the hell I was doing. I was nurse and I barely used blink

@Dead_by_David said:
    I used to think Exposed meant the killer could see your aura and I would run around panicking. Now I know what it actually is and still run panicking xD

This is so true.

• NuclearBurritoNuclearBurrito Member Posts: 4,452

@Theluckyboi said:
    i always crouched when i was next to crows because i thought the killer received a notification each time i alerted a crow

Well when you are playing against me he does.

Spies from the Shadows for the win!

• KiraElijahKiraElijah Member Posts: 1,161
    That I was invisible while cloaked
  • HeroLivesHeroLives Member Posts: 1,626
    pemberley said:
    I thought Claudette was a healer too, which was why I chose her first. I also chose Nea second because I thought she was naturally more sneaky. 

I didn’t realize until later survivors were basically just skins and didn’t really have special stats. 
    To be fair when you first start out they are special stats until you unlock everyone’s abilities to be shared. Newbie life was hard, I still have nightmares 
  • HeroLivesHeroLives Member Posts: 1,626
    edited February 25

Hahaha I did that too. Now they do.

Did anyone else think there were only 5 gens. Took me so many hours to learn there were more.

@Nea_Death_Experience said:
    Did anyone else think there were only 5 gens. Took me so many hours to learn there were more.

I think I didn't realize there was more than 5 back then.

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member, Trusted Posts: 11,853

@Nea_Death_Experience said:

A pig destroyed me and some others cause she was sitting at one gen and we thought it was the only one left