2.6.0 is now available for download on all platform
The new content from Demise of the Faithful is available immediately in the in-game store. DLC is available on Steam / Playstation Store EU / Playstation Store NA / XBOX
Patch Notes: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/patch-notes
Emblem blogpost: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/52295/the-emblem-system-changes-explained#latest
We are testing out new post formatting for the forum. There might be some issues present (white text, blank quotes, etc.), we are looking to resolve those. Thank you.

The Plague is underpowered and here's why:

Claudette_BaguetteClaudette_Baguette Member Posts: 221
edited March 6 in 2.6.0 PTB

I played more than 10 games against and as The Plague and as a survivor main with 2500+ hours I can tell she is really underpowered.

This is mainly due to 3 reasons:

1) Being poisoned doesn't hinder survivors juke potential. I literally stayed sick the entire time of 3 games and it was no problem. Competent survivors usually don't spend time healing anyway (this is the same reason why legion is weak, survivors just don't heal against him) and stay injured to gen rush even more, especially with dead hard and adrenaline. Being broken also doesn't do anything because it doesn't matter if you are injured with or without it.

2) Survivors can deny the killer getting Corrupt Purge (damage with puke when interacting with a used pool of devotion). As stated in 1), survivors can just decide to not cleanse their disease and stay injured. The Plague will have no way of getting corrupt purge to actually work if survivors decide to do that which will be meta against her for sure. So she will have even more hard time against good survivors.

3) Survivors can FULLY HEAL when drinking water. This is just stupid. If you affect a survivor with the disease and you injure them they can fully heal in about 5 seconds. Sometimes when I was already injured and not infected I just intentionally touched an infected objective and then healed really fast at a fountain. So if you injure survivors and switch targets it actually benefits survivors because they can safely heal if they decide to.

How to balance her without making her brokenly OP?

My 2 simple and obvious suggestions: Firstly, being infected or broken should reduce your action speed (repair/heal) by about 30% so survivors basically HAVE to go and use a pool of devotion.

Secondly, drinking water from the pool of devotion should not heal survivors but only cleanse the infection. Maybe increase the time it takes to drink the water a bit.

In addition to that on a "lower priority level or call it QoL" I also wish survivor's location or aura would be shown briefly when they puke because right now you don't really recognize that unless they are in front of you. This would also increase the survivor's incentive to cleanse the infection. As suggested by other users I also think some addons could increase the range and velocity of the puke but mostly her addons are fine. It also feels kinda weird that you are slowed down so much/long after releasing your puke. I understand why it is how it is but it just feels weird and a bit unfun to be slowed down so much.

Additionally, the whispering when in corrupt purge should be quieter. It's too loud and a bit annoying in my opinion.

I know it's early feedback but I can absolutely see those problems I stated becoming really bad especially when survivors start adapting to her even more and realising that being poisoned doesn't really do much.

I hope the devs take feedback of the community to balance her right! She is such a cool and well designed character and I hope the PTB and this feedback will help the devs to make some good adjustments for her.

Post edited by Claudette_Baguette on
Tagged:

Comments

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 1,775
    edited March 6

First impression I agree. She's also quite hindered on mind games because of how overly tall she is. We'll see though, still early.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 950
    edited March 6

Can't the Plague repeatedly vomit on a Healthy Survivor until they get broken so the Plague can just down the Broken Survivor with M1 without having to worry about said Survivor getting a speed boost from getting M1'd? She moves at normal speed when she's holding vomit charge and only slows down for a short while when she charges it, so it's not like she'll lose the chase if she charges up vomit. What am I missing here?

Post edited by TAG on
  • BongbingbingBongbingbing Member Posts: 645

Apart from the fact that if you dont use the pools once all 4 are corrupt they revert back to being clean... This killer is something else

• PolarBearPolarBear Member Posts: 341

Not curing the infection is not a real counter since if you don't cure the infection you will still be in 1 hit range due to the broken debuff which then means chases will be shorter since obviously she doesn't need to hit you twice and additionally she moves at 4.6m/s (115%). You also can't stealth since you will be vomiting so staying in stealth really isn't an option either.

• MhhBurgersMhhBurgers Member Posts: 1,547

Currently the new killer design worrys me. Basically all new killers have inbuilt weaknesses to offset their powers.

edited March 6

Except you have unlimited "Hatchets", you still move at 115% when your "Hatchet" is "prepped", you can spray your vomit around instead of having to be fully precise like with the Hatchets, the Survivor doesn't get the speed boost as though they were hit by a weapon when they become Injured/Broken, and you don't fully stun when you finish vomiting.

• MhhBurgersMhhBurgers Member Posts: 1,547

What's the whole point of playing the plague when you cannot spread the plague

You sicken someone to the point of being Broken, down them, hook them, and then when they are unhooked, they use the Fountains that you can then use to upgrade your vomit to super vomit (unless they want to spend the rest of the game with a free worse No Mither).

• Claudette_BaguetteClaudette_Baguette Member Posts: 221

Exactly! They definitely have to reward infecting multiple survivors and changing targets with her.

• EvelineEveline Member Posts: 2,330

I don't think she's that good either.

I think this is how she's supposed to be played but the Healing at fountains is still a benefit for survivors at the expense of the killer for using their power.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about the insta-heal at the fountains. It may be too much of a trade-off for the sickness.

Yeah I think that should be removed honestly, It forces her to tunnel the sick survivors and not spread the plague.

• PwnyFishPwnyFish Member Posts: 27

How does the infection spreading work? It seems like sometimes things get infected by survivors and sometimes not.

Like, ive seen a infected survivor using a pallet and it got infected. But he used a window and that didnt get infected.

Also an infected survivor got unhooked and the rescuer didnt get infected? Seems strange to me..

And does someone know how long infected objects stay infected? I feel like they should stay infected until survivors interacted with it long/often enough..

• No_Mither_No_ProblemNo_Mither_No_Problem Member Posts: 1,037
    edited March 6

The only real two benefits that Plague gets from Survivors being fully sick—an action that takes goddamn forever either way—are both countered by simply being good at looping.

Broken? Who needs two hits when you won’t be taking any?

Coughing and puking? No one cares about stealth anyway.

Because of that, Survivors who are good literally do not need to cleanse themselves. Literally. Why should they care? If anything, it’s smarter not to cleanse because it wastes time and gives her the Corrupt Purge. Not to mention, of course, even if they do make the awesomely stupid mistake of cleansing, they get rewarded with an instaheal.

Every single aspect of Plague’s power is completely and utterly 100% countered by being a good Survivor on the most basic level. If you can loop and do gens, her power literally does nothing. NOTHING. SHE HAS NO POWER AGAINST GOOD SURVIVORS.

If Plague doesn’t receive major buffs and changes to the sickness, she is going to be hands down the WORST Killer in the game.

• O_CoisanteO_Coisante Member Posts: 6
    edited March 6

remove instaheal. survivors should have a penality doing gens while sick. Legion still needs a buff. at the end of the deep wound time, the survivors should get down even though they are mending. Also, i think the noise of a fontain becoming corrupted is annoying when you play as a survivor. head on shouldn't make surv get exhausted but their stuns the killer.

• HatCreatureHatCreature Member Posts: 1,452

Decreasing sprint speed while sick and having an action speed penalty could be what she needs to have more potential. I was actually disappointed, as a Survivor, that my action speed was the same despite being in obvious pain and puking everywhere.

edited March 6

I dont think the insta heal is that much of a problem.

I tested a little bit and it looks like objects only stay infected for 20secs.. this seems pretty useless?

Soo, like the way I would think to play this killer would be like that:

I would want to infect as many objects and survivors as possible, so that it could spread over the whole map. Survivors would then have to constantly go heal on the fountain or they would all walk around injured..

But infecting objects just seems utterly useless if theres a timer on it.. In my opinion they should be infected infinitly until a survivor interacted with them...

And you need to be able to see who is how much infected..you know, like a bar on their icon that fills up.

I hope BEhaviour gives some numbers out on how that stuff all works.

Edit: to be clear, I dont think shes weak. I just think infecting objects is usless and she just gets played like billy.

Maybe im an idiot.

• PizzamanPizzaman Member Posts: 88

Regarding your proposal of "how the killer should be". I don't think your main concern is balance. It seems your main concern is to make the killer as strong as possible.

It's either a timer for the puke, or a certain amount of puke that stays on objects (and if you exceed that amount, old puke will just vanish [like hag traps]. You can't expect the whole map to be coated in puke at the end of a trial and still call it balanced, right?

edited March 6

What? No, I dont want to make the killer as strong as possible. I dont think she is really that weak like some say and they should wait until they buff/nerf her.. (this is sharing my first impressions and I might be utterly wrong with them)

What im saying is, that there are certain mechanics with her ability and interaction, that feel weird/bad.

What I just saw is, that as a survivor, you can see the infection amount, but not as the killer? Is that actually intended or just a bug? Cause being able to see that, would make it feel so much better.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 39
    edited March 6

Here are my thoughts as a killer main (rank 1, for what it's worth):

She has a ton of problems, maybe the biggest is that survivors instantly heal a health state when cleansing at a fountain.

The slowdown when charging the vomit is severe enough that a survivor can just run to the next loop.

The fountains are a cool concept, but it's super inefficient to utilize the corrupted fountains. If survivors cleanse at fountains that aren't near objectives, then you're going to sacrifice a ton of pressure and most likely not hit anyone with the corrupt purge by the time the timer runs out. Yes, it will end a chase quickly if you land hits with it. But by the time you get to a fountain, find a survivor, and then hopefully get the hit detection to work, I'm not convinced it's a net gain in the killer's favor.

The hit detection on the vomit really needs fine tuning.

The most effective way to play her is to vomit repeatedly until a survivor is in broken status and then one shot them. So....Legion.

The infection isn't all that consequential. Yes, it ultimately forces survivors to cleanse at a fountain or risk getting the broken status, but the corrupt purge isn't threatening due to the inefficiency of the killer gaining that ability and the poor vomit functionality. It's a worse version of dream state.

It's not really clear what she's supposed to be good at. Hag is a map pressure killer. Clown is a chase killer. Spirit is a mindgame killer. Etc. The Plague just doesn't seem effective at anything. This killer is absolutely not viable at high rank play in her current state, and I say that as a Freddy main.

• The_CrusaderThe_Crusader Member Posts: 3,453

But if it's 20 seconds then that is 20 seconds a survivor can't touch an infected generator without suffering the illness.

That's quite strong.