2.6.0 is now available for download on all platform
The new content from Demise of the Faithful is available immediately in the in-game store. DLC is available on Steam / Playstation Store EU / Playstation Store NA / XBOX
Patch Notes: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/patch-notes
Emblem blogpost: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/52295/the-emblem-system-changes-explained#latest
We are testing out new post formatting for the forum. There might be some issues present (white text, blank quotes, etc.), we are looking to resolve those. Thank you.

Hatch Stand Off Solution

DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 472

The killer is meant to be a THREAT to survivors. It’s dumb that survivors actually wait intending/hoping the killer will hit them to exploit the killers attack cooldown to jump into the hatch.

I suggest that the hatch be the ONLY interactable object whereby survivors suffer an injury cool down. I.e. when injured/downed by a strike from the killer, the contextual “escape through hatch” action does NOT immediately pop up for the survivor.

Survivor hatch escapes should require cunning & guile. Strategies ways to draw the killer away.

Comments

• TragicSolitudeTragicSolitude Member Posts: 170

The problem with the hatch standoff is that it punishes the player who acts first. That's the opposite of how it should be, and that's why we end up with a killer and survivor standing at the hatch for an hour waiting for the other to make a move.

Whoever acts first should be rewarded. Remove the hatch grab. It sucks, I love hatch grabs, but it's the first step to fixing this problem. The second step is to have the entity block the hatch for a few seconds after a survivor is hit. This only occurs if the survivor is hit before they begin jumping into the hatch, and the hatch remains closed just long enough for the killer to recover from the successful attack cooldown and resume the chase/pick the survivor up.

That's what fixing the hatch standoff takes: reward rather than punish the player who acts first.

• SlayerSlayer Member Posts: 452

You cant do gens?

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 472

I’m talking from the perspective of the killer, and yes, this is something a survivor SHOULD do to put the killer on edge and draw them from the hatch.

Survivors just standing at the killers toes pointing over and over for 10+ minutes waiting for the killer to hit them is bullshit.

• mcNuggetsmcNuggets Member Posts: 447

Adding a general delay to interactions after being hit by the killer is the muhc much better idea.

If it wouldnt only affect hatch, the game could be so much nicer.

Without people wanting to get hit in front of a gen in order to fix the gen, exploiting the killers attack cooldown etc.

This would fix multiple issues at once.

But the immediate and best solution would be for the killer to one hit the last player on the map with a delay for interactions.

This will fix nearly all of the edge cases.

• TiersisTiersis Member Posts: 91

Why not just make the open hatch a breakable item. Let it come down to who finds it first, rewarding the player who gets to the hatch first.

Killer breaks the hatch? Time to try and do gens. Survivor gets there first? They escape.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 927

Would it be too much to ask for the Survivor to be exposed? My issue is that a Survivor at full health is still favored in the Hatch battle because if the Survivor knows where the Hatch is, then they can afford to take a hit knowing that the hit cooldown + speed boost will probably buy them enough time to be able to wait out the Entity Hatch block and jump in anyways. I personally like the idea of the last Survivor being Exposed while the Hatch is open but also being immune to Hatch grabs.

The problem is that sealing off the Hatch permanently would just encourage a salty Survivor to activate their cloaking device and try to prevent the game from ending for as long as possible.

edited March 14

Actually if survivors got a hatch decent way they deserve it and killer should just hit them to let them go

Then why bother having that scenario of each player find the hatch in the first place?

If it’s the intention of the devs that 3 survivors are dead, and the hatch is available to the last survivor, and the survivor is meant to be entitled to the escape, why not just have the game go immediately to the tally screen once 3 survivors are dead?

@TAG this wouldn’t solve the problem. A downed survivor can still just immediately jump in the hatch during the attack cooldown within a certain radius of the hatch.

They'd have to be right up to the Hatch for that to work, at which point they've already won the race to the Hatch because they would be immune to Hatch grabs. At even a slight distance from the Hatch, the Killer would probably win the race if he lands the hit because the Survivor would not be able to reach the Hatch in time before being grabbed.

• SprinklesSprinkles Member Posts: 173

But that isn't going to happen, more often than not they expect that 4th kill.

Unless the Survivor basically screws over the team and finds the hatch first, the killer is going to find it first 80% of the time unless it's SWF and it's 30/70.

Even with the idea of blocking it when the survivor is hit, the killer will just camp it and wait for the survivor to show his head then proceed to hit him before he has a chance to jump in. Add Whispers into the mix and doing gens is even more of a suicide, as you're trying to lure him away when doing so, and if there is nothing between you and the hatch in terms of pallets, you're more liekly getting hit once before you make it.

• SadonicShadowSadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,018

the devs had a good solution to the hatch standoff awhile back. They tested it in a PTB where the killer could close the hatch and upon doing so the exit gates would be automatically powered. It essentially circumvented the bullshit of the hatch if the killer managed to get to it first.

edited March 15

That isn't a good solution though, it's awful if anyone used their head.

How many times have the gates been on one side of the map?

How many in direct view of one another?

Hell how many on the same wall?

I know as a solo survivor opening a gate can be basically impossible by end game, even with two of you, unless the pallets have hardly been used at that point (highly unlikely if the whole team is dead leaving you with 1+ gens to go).

The amount of times i had been in said situation, especially against a Billy or Nurse and the other survivor just hid out and waited for you to die rather than even attempt while you got chased was unbelieveable. I admit it's lesser so now as survivors struggle to get 2 [BAD WORD] gens done these days, and if two are done it's usually me thats done them.

The RNG that the Killer isn't even a Nurse or Billy is bad enough, nevermind getting them a distance apart from each other where the killer has to get pretty close to know which one you're at. On top of that hope he can't/doesn't use whispers.

Even then the killer still needs to actually FIND the survivor. The last survivor just needs to play with caution, be sparing with the amount of time on a gen.

Like hell, he'll just camp it. all he needs to do is hit you before you get too the hatch, with the hatch being on a hill it's not like he's gonna struggle too see you.

If you want it to be fairer, the hatch should require a key or x amount of objective points, otherwise remains shut for the last survivor until he earns said points doing the objective.

Currently Survivors struggle to do the objective, and if i do 2-3 gens and get left on the hook, despite me earning the hatch, i don't get it because some arsehole ends up farming me or leaving me on it.

edited March 15

Its so hard to hit them to let them go?If killer wants that stand off its up to him to stay and wait same goes for survivor. If anything killer should be able to see survivor aura once hatch is opened for survivor to not hold the game hostaged. Survivor should be able to see hatch too.

So basically buffing killers for SWF play, but screwing over every solo player that wants to play and get the team out without intending to camp the local hatch?

Without knowing where it is you're running blind with a killer on your ass, who will have the complete intention to keep you from going in right the direction.

It's annoying enough to be slugged, then you want an aura of the last survivor just incase he still hasn't found it so you don't need to camp the hatch? which killers will do anyway if the survivor knows where it is, but couldn't jump into it fast enough simply due to the fact the hooked victim can take ages to actually die.

As a killer camping the hatch is one of the worst plays you can make if your intention is getting a 4k, it wastes time and is utterly [BAD WORD] boring.