For its year 3 anniversary, Dead by Daylight will be hosting its biggest livestream on May 31st at 3PM EST
Major reveals, drama, laughs, cries, surprises. It’s a date!

Stream schedule: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/64689/

Any idea to see “scratches,” or blood better?

johnmwarnerjohnmwarner Member Posts: 165

I really enjoy DBD I’m not great but I’m okay. I enjoy hook and then chasing, not camping, so even if I get 0-1 kill as long as I had a few hooks I’m happy and I feel like the survivors had a good game too.

anyways, amongst all killers I’ve played my weakness is tracking by scratches and I even lose injured survivors with bloodhound? I may be bad but I think part of it is just needing the best setting to see the red better. Other than getting a group with friends who run back and forth and let me test settings anynjdea what is “best” to see and follow?

Comments

• Divinitye9Divinitye9 Member Posts: 186

Hate to say it, but a lot of it comes down to practice and predictability. Learning where survivors would run to and their tricks to try and confuse you is an important skill as well.

Learning physical tracking is important, but it’s your mind that will carry you through to the end.

Do you use headphones? The amount of survivors that don’t use iron will is staggering, and more often then not it’s their wounded cries that give them away. Standing still and hearing a rustle of grass or a gentle opening or closing of a locker goes a long way too.

What killer(s) do you use? What perks do you use? More information is needed to get a more specific answer. Many of us will be happy to help, just help us help you.

• IncirionIncirion Member Posts: 612

I do most of my tracking by sound, i rarely ever follow blood trails. I'll let scratch marks guide me slightly, but i tend to try to guess where they're gonna go to cut them off instead of straight chasing, unless it's somewhere open.

• Chaotic_RiddleChaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,336

Best way to track blood alone is with Sloppy Butcher and Bloodhound. These two together can help you easily spot where a Survivor has last been if they're near you. The best way to find injured Survivors overall though is Sloppy, Stridor, Nurse's, and Bloodhound, but generally, you only need two perks from all of these to find injured Survivors. :)

• johnmwarnerjohnmwarner Member Posts: 165

I play hag or clown atm... use NC but I seem to suck with Strudir or hearing direction in general.

• MegaWaffleMegaWaffle Member Posts: 1,907

Others have pretty well already answered your question but here are the tips that I followed way back when I was new to DBD.

Don't rely on scratch marks. The marks left behind can sometimes be a little wonky (thankfully not as bad as when the game first launched). Use the marks as a quick indication a survivor is nearby but always focus your eyes on the paths ahead of you. More likely than not you will see the survivor without the need to follow the tracks. Scratch marks by default (without perks) last for 7 seconds so the culprit is most likely nearby.

Don't rely on blood trails unless your build is focused on making people bleed. Blood can easily be hidden in tall grass (abundant nearly everywhere) and can easily make you lose track of someone who you may have found by keeping your eyes glued in front of you. Some maps that don't have grass like The Game or Lery's are great for following blood since its very easy to follow and the map has a lot of vision breakers.

Learn the maps from a survivor viewpoint. If you know that a survivor is in the area thanks to seeing the marks but you are not sure where, its great to have the insider knowledge of where they might have run too based on your experience playing survivor. This all ties back again to keeping your eye in front of you rather than trained on the ground and scanning possible "escape" routs the soon to be victim might have run too.

TLDR: Always look in front of you rather than focus on the ground.

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 915

use stridor and sloppy butcher in conjunction with predator and bloodhound. That will help you track injured survivors immensely. But it means your build relies on you being really damn good at finding healthy survivors and how to apply your own gen pressure.

• EvelineEveline Member Posts: 2,340

Trail always confuse me. Most of the time I find survivors by ear. They need to improve it at least a little bit.

• KillermainBTWm8KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 1,459

Your ability to track scratches and blood will increase over time when I first started playing I thought blood was impossible to track but now... not so much it's just honestly getting used to tracking it

• Divinitye9Divinitye9 Member Posts: 186

If you are playing hag, then tracking shouldn’t be much of an issue if played correctly. Trapping traveled paths instead of only gens will allow tracking for you. If you want greater success with nurses calling on hag, use monitor and abuse. Your terror radius will be smaller than the radius of nurses calling.

Clown... can’t help ya much there, others can, but I am not much of a clown player

With Clown during a chase, practice not only accurate bottle tosses but also anticipating where a survivor might attempt to go to lose track of you and throw bottles there too as you’re chasing.

I can find this game disorientating at times as I spin to find where a survivor has gone, and I can’t stress to you the amount of times a survivor scream from intoxication has helped me relocate the survivor and continue the chase.

• johnmwarnerjohnmwarner Member Posts: 165

Thanks everyone so far lots of good stuff, I’ve alwayd been watching a lot of YouTube stuff to see generally tips it seems those guys follow tracking but maybe they’re just predicting like a few of you have mentioned

Yeah it’s good to learn/understand the more common survivor jukes/tricks.

The more common one is that when a survivor manages to break line of sight, they’ll run around erratically so that scratch marks (and blood if they’re injured) go everywhere, so when you turn that corner all you see is this confusing mess

• fluffybunnyfluffybunny Member Posts: 2,094

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but if you have troubles tracking people, you can play with predator/bloodhound (Wraith perks) on and flip it on and off until you get better at tracking where the survivors are going. Predator makes the path smaller, so it's easier to follow. Bloodhound makes blood more visible.

If you don't play survivor, I would recommend playing it as well. It can help you understand the survivor's routes and where they're more likely to go.

There are also tip videos on what to do as killer and how to anti-loop and track survivors.

• MilkymalkMilkymalk Member Posts: 133

With clown you can throw your bottles at potential escape routes before the survivor even arrives there. The cloud stays a few seconds and acts as an alarm to tell you which of several possible exits from a jungle gym or building the survivor has taken.

• ApochApoch Member Posts: 96
    edited March 17

When I'm on Freddy with his epic cataracts and the swamp map comes up with 4 Greatly Thicken Mist Survivor offerings I'm like