Home Discussions General Discussions
We have deployed a fix for an issue that was causing players to lose pips when a match was cancelled.
No update is required, but this may take a few hours to be applied across our servers to all players. Thank you for your patience!

A DC Shame Marker/Que

DemonDaddyDemonDaddy Member Posts: 1,881

Dc is an issue many bring up and often. Without adjusting the ban percentage, I think other methods of discouragement could be used to further ensure we can all have a good game.

Gradual percentage tiers that track and punish you accordingly

1. community visual displaying a gradually darkening marker for your shameful act

2. Lobby Que punishment; Non marker players gain priority loading

3. A DC specific lobby search; Continued dc practice places you in priority ques with other frequent dc'ers

4. Temporary time bans; take a day and rethink your priorities

5. Current percentage for an actual ban

Just thought this might yield better results is persuading the disgruntled or overly entitled to play to completion. Does the community think something similar would work or more step would be needed?

Comments

• FenrirFenrir Member Posts: 533

@not_Queen pass this to the devs

• Tzeentchling9Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796

Complaints from DCers that other Survivors are dodging them because of their DC mark would flood the forum. LOL

• fluffybunnyfluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

I like these ideas! If people were punished more, there may be less who thinks DCing is fine and could also give players a warning if they're about to que with a DCer.

• CuloBlancoCuloBlanco Member Posts: 2

Or maybe penalize your BP for constant DC. In my opinion works pretty well for Overwatch.

• projecteulogyprojecteulogy Member Posts: 671

And Queue times would skyrocket. Even the dumbest of people can see how badly this would hurt the over all game and the killer player base.

Most of the DCs right now are coming from this new Match Making system. This causes in game DCs as well. Not so much the DC where someone gets downed and quits, but the 1v1, 2v1 games i keep loading into.

Don't like DCs? Play SWF. Otherwise, enjoy your hardmode games as Survivor and Easy Mode games as killer.

• KillmasterKillmaster Member Posts: 359

After a certain amount of DCs you get a permanent crow that flies over your head revealing your position for however many hours the devs deem it necessary.

Also a giant dunce hat cosmetic you can't remove wouldn't be a bad idea either.

• Detective_JonathanDetective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

I give this one the Detective Jonathan seal of Approval

• DemonDaddyDemonDaddy Member Posts: 1,881

@projecteulogy

I don't think the impact would be as great as you make it out to be. It still allows room for technical issues without punishment. The wait time wouldn't change until players are actually showing signs of intended abuse and until nearing final tiers before a ban are still paired into regular lobbies.

• CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 4,510

We just need an abandonment penalty like siege, rocket league, for honor, etc, etc.

5 min, 15 min, hour, 3 hour, 24 hour, etc.

The DCers will root themselves out either getting sick of waiting and playing games correctly, or by banning themselves from our lobbies.

• projecteulogyprojecteulogy Member Posts: 671

The dev stated they cannot tell if you DC because of connection issues, quitting via menu, or the task manager to force quit the game. Unless that has changed and not been added in the patch notes.

Until dedicated servers are implemented there is no need to start trying to heavily punish people unless they're abusing exploits and/or hacking.

I hate DCers with a passion, however there are tons of valid reasons to DC from a match. I'm a survivor main, so my 'side' is the most affected since currently, only the remaining survivors are punished for DCers. Killers still get points and rank exp. This entire forum is mostly killer main oriented.

I'd say about 70% of DCs come majorly from Killers playing a specific way. The other is a mix of connectivity issues and real life situations requiring you to leave a game. As a killer, I avoid intentionally toxic plays. A majority of players DC because of really early tunneling/camping, or other survivors sandbagging/evil dwighting. This community is one of the worst. Any killer main will say "I'm not here to make sure you have fun." Perhaps not. but if you guys don't pull your head out of your asses, toxicity will destroy this game. Personally, i'd rather not have that. Which is why I want VAC Dedicated servers, so people who do abuse and cheat will get punished. If you play like a turbo virgin, expect salt and personally I don't think you should be punished for leaving an overly toxic game.

Plus, I don't have too much faith in them implementing any sort of flawless ban system when they can't even tell what's going on in game a long with a useless report system. The only ban i've seen be of any value to the community was Ochido. Which took an atrocious amount of time considering.

• NikkiwhatNikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,147
    edited March 2019

Just make it so frequent DC's increase your "timeout" from getting into a game, hopefully to the point (alongside taxing you BP perhaps) that people stop DCing so much or stop playing...

Had a Meg DC because she was unhooked right as I Spirited away, doubled back because the Gen/area I quickly checked was vacant, went back and she was still hanging around the area of being unhooked (and no, I didn't see her rescuer on a quick scan) so I re-downed her...she DC's.

Sorry, but I don't let people off for free unless it's a situation of extremes: aka 2-3 people DC'ing off the bat before the game really starts, or it's a 2 man game. Deal with being caught because you didn't get healed or hid somewhere fast enough.

EDIT: LMFAO above me, putting the blame of Killers because WE play toxic. No, simple and plain the stereotype of Survivors, which OFTEN sticks, is that they can't stand getting downed, mindgamed and/or often think they're a pro player and getting downed/caught was OBVIOUSLY the Killer being:

A. Cheap

B. Toxic

C. The cheated

D. Played a "broken" Killer/Perk.

/s.

No, in my experiences as Killer and Survivor, every DC I have witnessed was due to the fact that players can't handle "losing" and seek a miserable victory to deny Killers extra points as some self-serving satisfaction akin to flipping the table in a board/card game.

With the new ranking system and how dc affects progress potential on both side, I feel that prior knowledge of and discouragement for it are more important. Im not calling for immediate bans, just gradual methods of weeding them into their own catagory to be delt with however Devs see fit. The flat ban % isnt really working.

• KillermainBTWm8KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,211

Just give Dcers the broken status effect in their games that would most likely work.

@KillermainBTWm8

In the heat of the moment that would sound great, but I do think a player should have the ability to earn Their way back to good graces without making the game unbearable

• TheBeanTheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    edited March 2019

@projecteulogy Just about the first sentence about the Dev stating they can't tell the difference...

They know when you open up the menu and select Leave Match.

They know when you've been disconnected from the host. They may not be able to tell the difference from an local ethernet unplug or the host disconnecting... but this could be determined. I actually think they can tell the difference now on those.

They know if you've DC'd because you've crashed.

They automatically track everybody that disconnects and will start banning you based on a certain threshold.

It is ok to wait for dedicated servers, however we haven't heard anything yet on how they will be dealing with this, if they even are going to change it to a new style of punishment.

Them determining disconnects on a dedicated server system is no different then using P2P... except for a dedicated server you have a host PC instead. Otherwise, conceptually these can be handled in the same fashion.

Them stating they don't know the difference is just them saying it hasn't been programmed yet to know the difference, so they aren't lying in a technical sense.

• ShrekIsHotShrekIsHot Member Posts: 3,180

I like this but people will DC regardless, they will DC either cause of they are butthurt, a certain killer or straight DC from ping or lag.

@ShrekIsHot

And thats fine. It cant be stopped completely, but those that are truly abusing it could be slowly removed from matches where player are not. Let them face one another more frequently until they are willing to show some maturity in taking a loss. Start playing to completion even if it means you lose and rejoin the rest of us.

• Warlock_2020Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,868
    edited March 2019

I don't agree. Sometimes it is the pure toxic behavior of the killer that pushes the player to DC. Try playing fi e games in a row where you are camped or tunneled, the the 6th wants to slug, camp, or tunnel you. You have likely had enough by then.

I switched to killer long ago over this. My wife still dabbles in playing survivor, but most matches are hard core camp and tunnel matches. I'm talking hit within seconds of the unhook, or killer hangs in front of hook. She has never run DS as she feels it is toxic, but I keep telling her to reconsider.

After 6 matches of this, I watched her DC in absolute disgust last night and uninstall. Hoping she changes her mind, but most of my friends and family already quit in the past 3 months.

@Warlock_2020

Ok, frustration with the opposition is a thing. While I dont see this style as often, quitting in that fashion shouldnt be an issue unless you are truly doing it every few matches. While its not enjoyable, I see little point in quitting with a dc when the match would already come to a conclusion for you anyways. Personally I find it difficult to imagine a pleasant demise every game nor do i expect it from someone who goals are opposite of mine. But how the killer choses to kill a survivor is no excuse, either suffer a rough defeat or for bailing early.

• CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 4,510

You can fake a crash by simply closing program, or restarting it.

People bypass the for honor timer that way.

Which is why I think a dc timer for dcing, period, should exist. If it's a rl emergency or a power flicker or net reconnect, 5 mins wont kill you. But 4 or those in an hour? That's likely not outside of your control, and if it is, you should deal with that instead of trying to play the game and dc again.

Now with dedicated servers coming into effect soon, can we expect a revisement of the DC band system?