Home Discussions General Discussions

[GUIDE for BHVR] How to stop DCing

DwightsLifeMattersDwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,662
edited April 2019 in General Discussions

1. Create a separate game mode called "casual" besides the current rank mode

2. Rank mode contains rank rewards. You could just start with basic but effective rewards like bloodpoints in the first months. Over time, you add the reward to unlock perks (coexisting with the shrine), badges to pin on top of cosmetics, cosmetics by itself etc

3. Add a time out penalty for DCing in ranked mode, starting by 1, 10, 20, 40, 60 minutes (obviously values can change, casual mode won't have penalties but something else explained below).

People who DCed due to technical issues/bugs once can start playing quick again or switch to casual mode.

Also, analyse reasons why killers and survivors DC and try to resolve the issues (no, not talking about the tilted crybaby who DC cuz they lost), watch this post why punishing DCs with bans is not the solution: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/44236/why-punishing-dcs-is-not-the-solution

4. Think about a possibility to let players join into a running match to replace a survivor who DCed. Would only really work in casual mode. Obviously, that new joined player will take all status effects, hooks etc from that survivor who DCed. Why would someone join a running match? Give them the reason by advertising huge bonus rewards, especially if he can make his team winning. Also, it should be am option to switch on or off so a player has control about that (should be ez af to implement with dedicated serves).

This would help to reduce the DC chain. Most survivors DC cuz someone else DCed and creates a chain reaction.

Thank me later.

(btw devs, u can hire me to help fixing DbD issues)

Post edited by DwightsLifeMatters on

Comments

• ColgateAdvancedWhiteColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 616

Get rid of the unfun elements that cause people to dc. Changing the name without addressing the things driving people away will not solve the problem .

• altruisticaltruistic Member Posts: 1,074

If they created a casual mode, I would never play ranked again.

• DwightsLifeMattersDwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,662

And that's fine. Ranked will provide rewards and as more appealing the rewards are as more people will play ranked

• ShirtlessDwightShirtlessDwight Member Posts: 194

number 4 reminds me Vindictus

someone pls come revive, we all ded

• ReikoMoriReikoMori Member Posts: 1,309

People are going to justify a dc for any reason. Also the amount of dcing is insane. You expect at least 1-2 a game if you're a killer main and if you're a suvivor main it is just about the same rate of teammate dcs plus a killer dc every few games. There are a lot of things that could change to promote people just sticking out the game. Yet, first thing that should happen is look at all the players who have dc rates in the 25% or higher range of their gameplay and simply hardware and ip ban them. If they can't be bothered to play the game properly then it is time for them to move on.

When people start saying, "get rid of unfun elements", I get spooked a bit. There has to be a quantifiable way to show what is 'unfun' and since 'unfun' is extremely subjective from player to player and from killers to survivors I don't feel that is the language we should be using. People find tunneling and camping unfun, but others also find them fun and both are strategies with legitimate uses. Killers find gen rush unfun, but their are plenty of survivors who just enjoy being efficient gen jockeys and don't like being chased. Some survivors find other survivors being stealthy unfun. Etc etc.

Even if you split the game into casual and ranked if the overall gameplay is the same people are dcing. If the same players who use disconnects as their "justice" aren't weeded out it won't matter what incentives are put in place. Other games that are competitive in nature make it vary clear that heavy disconnect rates are getting met with player segregation or outright soft and hard bans. Other competitive games also take stronger stances against toxic behavior both in game and out of game when it comes to stream related issues such as witch hunting or sniping. Start bringing the hammer down purge style and you get the playerbase's attention. Players can shape up or they can get punished.

As for drop in backfill matchmaking. This sort of game doesn't really need that especially if the person coming in is going to just take on everything that has happened to an entirely different player. You'd just have players who backfilled leave the game. More over you'd have to devise a way of making that happen when someone coming in has different perks and addons than the previous survivor. Not to mention killers get a bp bonus for people who quit, which honest should be higher, but a backfill could easily mess that up. Honestly, if matchmaking ever gets to the point where it is quick and consistent at all ranks then I'd like to work done to prevent 3 mans. One way to stop DC's is to just remove the damn leave match button.

Your solution is not only a lazy band-aid fix but also could be death sentence for DbD. If you remove all ways for players to have fun, then they will either just eat the ban or completely stop playing. Both will decrease the player base, something DbD can't take. We already have one of the lowest peaks during a DLC drop.

I already watched how a community died, it was one of my most favorite games called dark souls 1 pvp and I don't want to happen it again.

• switchswitch Member Posts: 489

Amazing idea, is not like this game lost 6k avg players within 2 months with a decent dlc release. Spliting the community even more is the dumbest thing they can do, and has been suggested a few hundreds of times before.

if they want to fix dcing add a timer on every dc, THIS IS THE ONLY WAY.

• OrionsFury4789OrionsFury4789 Member Posts: 637

People will stop playing then of they are forced to play unfun matches. You could say "yeah F them, they can leave" but aren't you splitting the community with this mentality aswell? My solution is the best if you want to make DbD healthy for multiple years and not just for a short time.

• PiiFreePiiFree Member Posts: 1,142
    edited April 2019

Yes, punishing DCs with bans IS a solution, in my opinion it's THE solution.

I don't want to EVER play with DCs again so to keep me, a fair player, away from DCs, they can simply ban them or create a low priority queue where only people thelike play.

Let the DCs play amongst each other while fair players play amongst each other. EZ fix.

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,205

People will always DC if there is no penalty for it.

Have you even read my points? My points are going hand in hand, with my idea the DCs would be reduced to an absolute minimum in ranked mode and in casual mode you wouldn't care about DCs due to new joining system

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

The question always is: Is the playerbase big enough for a ranked and a casual mode?

• CornChipCornChip Member Posts: 540

I could only imagine how sweaty and unfun a ranked mode could be in this game. But sadly i think its needed for balance purposes.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 2,433

I really like the idea for a casual mode. I'd rarely touch ranked. I just don't think the d/c'ing is as obtuse of a problem as it's being made out to be. The game is absurdly imbalanced between solo and SWF play. This causes many killers to adopt a one size fits all nasty playstyle to compensate for all the times they get steamrolled by SWF. This also happens to be very unfun for solo survivors, as killers have no way of knowing what they're up against at the start unless they make an educated guess from checking Steam profiles. Killers d/c because they chose the wrong killer against the wrong group on the wrong map. Solo survivors d/c because the killer just had 3 straight games against 4 man SWF and got destroyed, so now they're going to get a 4k by any means necessary.

This discussion has been closed.