Welcome to the Dead by Daylight forums! Please take a moment to read through the forum rules before posting: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Swear to god, I'm getting sick of ruin being placed IN PLAIN SIGHT!

deathsiadeathsia Member Posts: 250
edited April 2019 in General Discussions

It's happened every single match today!(50 in total!)EDIT! (Maybe I should just keep a counter to prove my fuicking point!?)

And as a result it goes boom 30seconds into the match unless i camp the hell out of it.

What's worse is that 9 times out of 10 a survivor will spawn RIGHT NEXT TO IT!

Seriously devs, get your [BAD WORD] together! Are you trying to punish killers or just don't know how to program totem placement properly?

Post edited by deathsia on

Comments

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 8,701

They don't know how to program it properly.

Totem placement has been part of the fixes in DbD for a long time now.

I'm talking at least over a year by now.

Yet they insist on keeping them on hills, with the excuse that those few rocks will prevent someone from seeing it far away.

I'm still seeing Dull (and, unfortunately, sometimes Hex) right next to Generators, not hidden behind anything either.

Which doesn't matter anyway since those candles on Hex Totems make WAY too much noise, i don't know any candle around here that does that.

And specifically Crotus Prenn Asylum is terrible, those in the middle of the field still exist.

Terrible for any Killer without any form of extra mobility.

They said they'll change it 3 times by now and then recently said they acquired new technology or smthn to make it better.

I have no faith at all and any improvements will surprise me greatly.

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 5,794

I kinda feel Ruin is a crutch and not used as intended by most of the killer community anyway. It’s meant to compliment direct gen pressure, not to be in lieu of direct gen pressure while the killer runs around doing other things, and obsessing over losing their totem.

That said trials should never generate hexed totems so close to survivor spawns. Or near generators either.

• ShyN3koShyN3ko Member Posts: 1,616

I have a nice idea.

Dont use Ruin.

Its kinda sad, but yeah.

I dont use it, because Gen-tapping or just destroy the totem.

It just dont work ingame.

• deathsiadeathsia Member Posts: 250

Crutch?! Dude unless you want 3 gens popped within 2mins its a REQUIREMENT!

The problem is that it spawns so out in the open that its proven useless in most matches!

I'm just going to fuicking leave every match if ruin gets cleansed before i hook at least one survivor. I've fuicking lost already if I haven't.

@deathsia apologies, I didn’t make my point clear enough. Ruin should never take the place of smart, savvy, cool & calm, direct gen pressure. Ruin CAN compliment this skill immensely. However i see time and time again Ruin being used and (for the most part) the killer gets tunnel vision by focusing solely on quick kills, only to find that the survivors were smart enough to find Ruin quickly and/or still repair 2 of the gens that end up sub diving the map, and ensuring the killer will most likely lose.

• YamaokaYamaoka Member Posts: 1,784

Not necessarily. Today I've played nothing but Legion and tested multiple builds. One game I spawned on the other side of the map and when I was just about to finally see my totem a Nea destroyed it right in front of me.

Still got my 4k. The only thing ruin changes is my behaviour. If they cleanse it right away I tunnel everyone off the hook and proxy camp all the time even if all of them run decisive strike. If I get a few hooks before ruin pops then I'll play fair. So basically if survivors find and cleanse my ruin immediately thanks to bad map design they ruin their own game as it forces me to play "dirty".

• sailormarssailormars Member Posts: 109

I never understood the complaints about this. Hex perks are supposed to be a gamble. They're EXTREMELY powerful, but they have the added risk of being destroyed. You gamble with it being out in the open, or in a very remote hidden spot. That's how it's supposed to be. I'm sorry you can't have your op perk the whole match, but that's not how it's supposed to work. (before I get comments about it:YES totems are meant to be OP, but they're not seen as such because they can be destroyed. But they are, in fact, more powerful than the average perk).

Ruin is not even op AT ALL. Good survivors hit great skillchecks all day long (including myself) which means it only affects bad survivors in the first place. So if it only affects bad survivors I want it to do so EVERY GAME not just 1 out of 10.

• CornChipCornChip Member Posts: 540

I knew a lot of killers relied on a no skill required, carry me please hex perk.. But damn.. Why don't you try not using ruin and practice some other perk build combos?

Post some of your red-purple rank killer gameplay. I'm waiting. Apparently you don't need time to win a game so show us da wae.

News flash: The effects of Ruin are EASILY circumvented if you have more than one survivor working on a gen. Hell, 3 survivors on one gen basically is saying this:

Hex: Ruin, what Hex: Ruin? EXACTLY!

So this perk is not only NOT OP AT ALL, its easily circumvented by survivors all working on one gen. Granted, this prevents them from doing multiple at a time but the time it takes 3 or more survivors to complete one gen nulify's this benefit.

When running Ruin, you want them to remain separated so the time to complete a single gen is increased long enough to hook at least one survivor twice or two survivors once.

The issue is that when the hex gets popped within the first 30 seconds to 1min into the match, they USUALLY have at least 2 or more gens 70% or more that pop within the next 30 seconds due to them all working on one at a time.

Hell, half the time they knew where the hex totem was all along but didn't touch it until they were ready to pop 2 or more gens to make the killer think they didn't know where they were.

@deathsia this one of the reasons why Ruin can’t be solely relied on to slow generator repairs. There needs to be some active prioritisation in applying gen pressure at the expense of some chases, and get savvy at finding other ways to waste the survivors time

edited April 2019

This issue could be eased though if they made hex: ruin MUCH HARDER to find. Like, have it always spawn farthest from all survivors or SOMETHING to make it so they don't find it within the first 30seconds of the match.

EDIT: Oh, here's an idea! Have it so that for 3 mins at the start of the match none of the totem become hex totems until the 3 mins are up, as a result Survivors can cleanse the hex totem 50% faster once its found.

EDIT 2: Or hell, make it a perk called "Hex Cloaking" with its effects as such:

At the beginning of the trial, all active Hex Totems are shown as normal Totems for 60, 120, 180 seconds. The hex is still removed if a survivor cleanses the cloaked totem however.

@deathsia well the only other thing i think can help until you feel totem issues are addressed is to use Corrupt Intervention instead. 2 minutes isn’t a huge amount if time, but that’s more reliably consistent than taking a gamble with Ruin placement on a map.