Proposal: Closed Test Realm only for testers with NDA
Please replace the Public Test Realm with closed beta testing under a NDA and only reveal information about new content when it is ready to be played by everyone.
. . .
Whenever upcoming changes to DbD are revealed the same pattern seems to repeat itself:
- Some people have very specific concerns how new changes might affect the game after reading a written description
- The changes are put on the Public Test Real where only PC players have actually access
- Players being able to participate share their impressions based on their actual testing experience
- Some players not participating in the PTB keep discussing their impression on the forum without actually having participated
What is the result of all this:
- The feedback to the PTR becomes completely muddled. Assumptions, personal preferences and subjective ideas how the game is supposed to be get mixed together with actual feedback.
- It requires a lot of time to read trough all this input for moderators, developers and casual forum users who want to stay up to date.
- For moderators and forum users time is spent in inefficient ways.
- For some casual forum users the enjoyment of the game and the initial excitement for new content gets severely diminished by negative feedback.
- For some users reading about new content weeks or months before they also can play and form their own opinion is frustrating.
- Some users may even decide not to purchase new content dlc based on discussions on the forum.
- Some users who played the game before may decide that it is not worth their time when a casual check in on the forum confirms that the community is still stuck in the same negative state.
- Remove the Public Test Realm PTR
- Preplace it with a Closed Test Realm CTR
- People can apply to be participating in closed Beta testing.
- People participating in closed beta testing sign a non-disclosure agreement NDA.
- People who share any CTR information with the public get banned from future CTR
- New game mechanics, content and changes are tested internally with a trusted audience to ensure that they will only become public when they reached a release ready state.
- New content, updates and game changes are released to the public when they are ready to be played be everyone.
- When new content is released all players can enjoy the content immediately.
- A more positive and constructive forum environment is created by limiting theoretical discussions about potential changes by focusing the attention on the content that is actually playable by everyone.