The 3.4.2 hotfix is starting to roll out on PC and consoles. For the release schedule and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112060/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

The Blendette Hate -- Let's be Reasonable

MochanMochan Member Posts: 2,886
edited May 31 in General Discussions

It's clear that the community hates Claudette and her ninja ways.

I find this funny, because their's one other thing the community really hates: God Loopers.

Killers hate being looped around all day. This is the clear Killer hate meta: they hate DS, they hate MOM, and they hate Adrenaline, because these all give "second chances" to survivors in the loop chase.

The problem is, these killers are being irrational and not thinking clearly. Reason it: why do Survivors loop? It's because they can't do anything other than loop! Killers hate it but the thing is there's nothing else for Survivors to do.

Stealthing doesn't win games. At least, not at the higher levels. I should know. I play stealth primarily. You need strong looping to win at higher levels.

Until BHVR balances the game to make other options aside from looping viable at the highest levels, you are only going to see looping at eh highest levels -- and looping with heavy SWF Comm support for that matter.

The things you should be hating on and pushing change for, are looping mechanics and SWF -- that we already see today. But the things you shouldn't be hating on: are things like Blendette and people trying to use stealth to survive.

I'm not saying let Stealthy people go, kill and hook them when you find them. But they are not the enemy. They are your friend. We should be pushing for changes in the game that enable more balance among all survivor and killer strategies. Somewhere along the line BHVR took the game too far in one direction.

These include:

• Nerfs to Killer detection abilities, especially those that can be equipped on killers who are strong in the chase (like Spirit and Nurse). This creates a gameplay imbalance that makes these killers too strong in comparison to other killers.
  • Nerfs to looping mechanics. Windows, palettes, etc. have been tweaked but they need even further tweaking. Vault mechanics may also need to be addressed. Fixes to maps won't be needed if the core looping mechanics are fixed.
  • Fixes to lighting. Seriously, the game needs to stop looking like Dead in the Daylight. Let sneaking around be possible. Make more shadows in the map. Not every corner of the map needs to be dark, but there should be enough dark places in all maps. It needs to be such that even if I'm wearing a bright pink Meg outfit I can still hide in shadows on most maps if I need to.

This benefits killers too -- if Stealth players are viable and doing great at the highest levels, then that means killers that are strong against Stealth -- like Doctor and Freddy, stop being "F-Tier" and become viable at higher ranks.

And more gameplay variety is always good.... for everyone.

A lot of rebalancing work needs to be done though, and this won't go anywhere unless BHVR acknowledges these problems with the game, with a clear plan to fix them. That may be asking for too much though, I do not know.

Remember this is supposed to be a Horror game, and proper atmosphere and dark environments are part of that. Super bright maps everywhere and run and gun gameplay do not for a horror game make.

Comments

• PhantomMask20763PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,018

I personally prefer the chase aspect of the game over the whole stealth part. I dont really have a problem with stealthy survivors unless it's like all 4 of them just hiding, literally not doing anything. Had a game like that recently, lasted waaaaay longer than it should've. I think the game is in an alright spot, the main thing I would personally want to see is something more interactive for survivors to do to help them escape the match. A second objective, so survivors don't just have to hold m1 and be bored and killers wont have to deal with super fast matches at high ranks.

• Broccoli_JaegerBroccoli_Jaeger Member Posts: 205
    edited May 31

I strongly disagree with making the game darker. It's going to make playing on console even more difficult because they can't change the graphic settings. Maps like The Game, Lerys or Macmillan are extremely dark and its way too easy for survivors (especially Claudettes) to vanish. PC players can just use low graphics to make grass and shadows disappear and they can increase the gamma of the game

• ba_tetsuoba_tetsuo Member Posts: 281

Just point at the blendettes. Bet the killer doesn't go after you

• Atrushan88Atrushan88 Member Posts: 1,614
    edited May 31

A lot of Claudettes also just literally sit around hiding in corners whether they're being chased or not. I had a game the other day where I was literally the only one who did generators, and when I got downed, all the Claudette did was hide in corners waiting for someone to do gens, but there was also a locker Dwight and Ace, so the match took forever, The others got downed eventually and only the Claudette was left, and she was just crouching the whole time, moving just enough where crows wouldn't get her, then she'd move to another spot and do similar things. The killer finally found the hatch and closed it, and she got trapped at the exit gate. I personally was happy to see her die as she basically just farmed me off the hook and then went to a safe spot to just hide, expecting me to do all the gens while also being chased and trying to keep the chases going long enough for the team to do gens, which they weren't doing. Two of them were SWF for sure, not sure about the other.

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 7,587

I only "hate" Claudettes cause there's a gazillion of them, nothing else.

• George_SorosGeorge_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

I'm for it. I don't hate Blendettes, I'd actually prefer a more stealthy, less loopy game. It would add to the horror atmosphere, if killer could down you faster, but finding you were more challenging. Plus, it feels so idiotic running around some object for ages, whereas I have the utmost respect for players who, not so much stealth through the whole game, but rather have the ability to lose me in a chase.

I have the feeling though, most players, especially experienced survivors would oppose such a course.

• YaiPaYaiPa Member Posts: 730

This game is entertaining because loops are a challenge between two players, killer and survivor. Its all about mindgames, double backs, pretend to respect a pallet and so on. Playing against 4 stealth immersed survivor is just boring; for the sams reason i hate taking non-mindgaming loops, like that stupid window in fratcured cowshed, the other one in mcmillan storehouse, cow loop and so on.

• MochanMochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited May 31

I agree with you, and I definitely feel most survivors would rather be strong at looping than juking or stealthing or losing killers in a chase. You clearly see a lot of opposition among survivors here when anyone suggests nerfs to looping. There is definitely an adrenaline rush to it, but there's also a different kind of rush to juking and losing a killer.

I just think that a slower, more methodical game makes for a better horror atmosphere rather than the kind of run and gun looping and chasing that describes the game today.

I believe the devs actually also feel this way; they've said that they want to make chases end faster. And I think that's how the game was originally envisioned. It's just that somewhere along the way they lost focus on that and ended up turning the game into what it is today.

Actually you can't make grass and shadows disappear on PC without editing the game files.

And my proposed changes will give both a chase and stealth their place in the game.

That was actually on you, you should have also stealthily slinked away. Sometimes you have to choose the right way to escape. And believe me, you can stealth away even if you're not using Claudette. Especially on McMilan and with Purple Haze.

I'm not actually a Claudette main -- I'm a Feng Min main. I play most of my games as Feng Min and I do it with stealth. All the sneaks and jukes I do as Claudette, I can also do as Feng Min. Though you do sort of need Urban Evasion at the minimum.

If you weren't specced for stealth it's easier to get found.

I'd like to point out that there are many times killers have stared at me as Feng Min on dark maps, and even on not-so-dark maps, and didn't see me.

• HavelmomDaS1HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948
    edited May 31

I prefer professional and optimal loopers over blendettes all day every day. I like looping, no issue for me.

• pemberleypemberley Member Posts: 1,326

I am definitely a stealth based survivor.

That said, something needs to be done about Claudette. I know from first hand experience you don’t NEED camo to stealth - I have stealthed with Kate in her bbq shirt and Meg in her sherbet ice cream 90s gear. Every other survivor has at least one tell tale sign for the killer, except Claudette and in a game where time is money, this is a problem - made even worse in actual chases because they are so hard to see (let alone without corn.)

This!

There is in active stealth of the player which requires a lot of skill, well and then there is Claudette. Braindead, passive and requires nearly 0 skill but is extremely rewarding. Blendette needs changes.

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 4,754

I agree with your base principle of looping being an issue but it's the only thing survivors have so they are forced to. However, just because we want to make stealth more viable does not mean that Claudette isn't an issue, she is.

"Nerfs to Killer detection abilities, especially those that can be equipped on killers who are strong in the chase (like Spirit and Nurse). This creates a gameplay imbalance that makes these killers too strong in comparison to other killers."

Stealth is not unviable because of killer detection perks. The detection perks are completely balanced much less creating "imbalance". The detection perks do not need touching at all.

"Nerfs to looping mechanics. Windows, palettes, etc. have been tweaked but they need even further tweaking. Vault mechanics may also need to be addressed. Fixes to maps won't be needed if the core looping mechanics are fixed."

Looping from windows and pallets is way too strong. There are too many safe pallets and not enough mind gameable ones. The window and pallet loops also allow way, way too much time to be wasted. However, map design is why the core looping mechanic is so strong and is what needs fixing.

"Fixes to lighting. Seriously, the game needs to stop looking like Dead in the Daylight. Let sneaking around be possible. Make more shadows in the map. Not every corner of the map needs to be dark, but there should be enough dark places in all maps. It needs to be such that even if I'm wearing a bright pink Meg outfit I can still hide in shadows on most maps if I need to."

I actually agree with this. That said, this would need to come in tandem with the pallet, window and loop changes. I also think there needs to be massively more tall grass/reeds/boxes/fog etc to give more chances to juke mid chase.

We need looping nerfed, but we also need to give the survivors others ways to survive than just pallets.

These changes of yours even more so emphasize why claudette needs nerfing. Hypothetically if these changes went through, Claudette would be beyond broken.

The core of all these problems is bad map design which is why it's my biggest issue in the game.

• gantesgantes Member Posts: 983

You guys are aware that you can play stealthy AND be good at looping at the same time right?

Anyway, the last thing I want is for the game to be darker. I already nearly have an aneurysm playing because I need to turn the brightness up in certain maps, and I'd have to do that even more.

• Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 3,390

i dont really mind stealthy claudettes, what i find a little dumb though is, when im standing behind them, charging the chainsaw and suddenly they just blend in with a dark object behind them and i completely lost track of them for a couple of seconds.

thats not the survivors skill, thats just a chameleon at that point!

Feng Min has an outfit that has no tells. Use normal or P3 head, Green Sci Fit Shirt and Black pants. She is about as invisible as Claudette in most situations.

Actually you can't.

Stealth requires a big commitment, and I'm not talking perks. When you see a Killer do you buck or do you try to stay still? You have to make a choice, you cannot do both. If you don't commit to either loop or stealth, you will get caught.

If you try to stealth killer will get too close and you won't have the space you need to effectively loop. Survivors have to choose one master, you can't really do both. Sure you can be primarily a looper and choose to stealth when you can, but that's normal. The inverse is also true; if you stealth sometimes you will loop when the situation calls for it.

Looping means you go for the safe spots as soon as the killer gets near. Going stealth is different, you do not make a break for the safe spots instead you usually try to juke when the killer is close and you often need to do so in unsafe places. You do a lot of risky plays letting the killer pass right by you as you crouch by a door way or a window and the killer walks by, or crouching behind a pile of tires or a tree stump as the killer walks around. If he sees you you're screwed and it's too late to loop. So you need to choose what to do when the killer is near. You can't do both.

edited May 31

Actually u can. Play Blendette and loop. Chances are that the killer loses you while looping cuz blendettes blend in the environment even while running. Happened to myself often and I saw that happening to others aswell.

Especially now with broken sound, the only tell tail is currently visual. And scratch marks are kinda broken aswell, appear to late to be reactive and more just like a hint to follow.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 4,492

I'm think stealth play is a totally fine/fair way to play, but I think Blendette pushes things a bit too far. I think stealthing should be about making sure you can maneuver around the Killer to avoid detection, not being able to still avoid being seen when the Killer does manage to look at where you are hiding.

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 1,622

Stealthplay isnt just putting on the camo skin and ducking in a dark spot. Its actively evading the killer by staying out of their FOV. Not many players actually want to invest in learning how to do this.

Just looping is easier and more "fun".

The notion that stealth and looping are mutually exclusive is ridiculous. Blendettes are near invisible until found, but then they can still loop, who wouldve guessed?

• Pokerface303Pokerface303 Member Posts: 105

I think most of the hate that Blendette receives is not do to the fact that they hide but that that's all they do. Most of the hate isn't even from killers but from survivors who get these teammates and see them do nothing the whole game and wait for everyone to die for hatch. I'm with you on that fact that stealth really ins't a viable option and something should be done to make it better but saying the only reason people hate on Blendette because they are tying to play stealthy is just wrong.

• BongbingbingBongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

If Killers had the same FOV/POV as Survivors I wouldn't have any issues with blendette but they don't. The Tiny FOV that killers are given makes seeing blendette's incredibly difficult on most maps.

It's the same thing with DeathGarden, The Hunter's FOV is so small that a Runner can just slip behind them and hide in a bush and get away. Thankfully DBD has scratchmarks but if they're not running then goodluck finding a Blendette on Yamaoka/macmillan/corn maps.