The 3.4.2 hotfix is starting to roll out on PC and consoles. For the release schedule and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112060/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Why did you disable the ability for us to edit the files to make the game run better?

You could at least give us a new menu that gives us more customisation. I cant even run the game anymore. I used to be able to run it. But now i cant get above 10 fps. I have a laptop that is decent but always had trouble running this game. I used to get around 30-40 fps and i was fine with that. The image below is what my game looked like with the files edited. i scaled the resolution to the point where i got decent fps and could see clearly. Any lower and it was hard for me to see things. But the latest patch that fixed some bugs. Made it so i cant use the custom file and can only use in game settings. which are [BAD WORD]. Just like the optimisation for this game. Which they said would get better not worse. Anyone else pissed about this?

Comments

• ABannedCatABannedCat Member Posts: 1,054
    edited June 6

Are you talking about the PTB? I dont have the PTB, so I cant judge.

I too edit my files to make the game runable. For the size of the maps and graphics this game offers, it runs TERRIBLE. Even DayZ, which is still in early access runs smoother than this crap. Editing files is the only way to make the lags bearable. I would be super pissed, if they removed that. Would legit quit. I dont wanna play with 15-20 fps, especially as killer.

• danielbird11danielbird11 Member Posts: 50

No i'm talking about the normal game. It stopped letting me edit the files when a patch came out. About the time when the new Spirit cosmetic came out.

• Dark_WhorseDark_Whorse Member Posts: 45

No potato lasts forever.

• ABannedCatABannedCat Member Posts: 1,054

Weird, I can edit my files just fine. Even the resoltuion, and stuff.

• AetherBytesAetherBytes Member Posts: 966

In all fairness, this can be used to gain an edge (if it works how I think it does, I run ultra no problem).

edited June 6

I can do that too. But i cant edit the engine.ini file. That's what gave me the extra fps i needed

• SairekSairek Member Posts: 2,902
    edited June 6

That's like saying we all need to use the same computer, the same mice, the same keyboard, and the same internet, or else someone will have a competitive advantage.

Computers are all built differently. There's so many parts, and most of them interchangeable, that no two computer is built the same. Options are needed and this game 3 years later still lacks a proper option choices. I've seen asset flips have better options menu than DBD does. At least the resolution option in those isn't a god damn slider for [BAD WORD] sakes.

No its not. It's like saying "Devs can't control what we're playing on, but they can control the settings of the game to make it as fair as possible."

Defined resolution sizes: Clarity at distance, beefier PCs get an advantage

Resolution Scaling options: Possibly affect camouflage of players, Worse computers get an advantage

Ability to turn on/off V-sync: Control smoothness

Aliasing Options: Clarity at distance

Shadow texture options: Possibly affect camouflage of players, Worse computers get an advantage

LOD options: Already broken as it is

Effects quality options: Spotting sparks on regressing generators, beefier PCs get an advantage

Foilage quality options: Ever heard of PUBG? This option can break a games balance.

PostProcessing quality options: Less distortion from the clowns ability, weaker PC gets the advantage

Framerate limit options: Smoother control, beefier PCs get the advantage.

That wasn't my question at all.

Play on lowered settings at 60 FPS, then play at high settings at 30 FPS. Tell me which one you found easier to play.

Because I can tell you right now, skill checks at sub 60 FPS are a [BAD WORD] bitch to hit.

• crisscriss Member Posts: 47

To make your own config work with the latest patch change the line "[/script/engine.renderersettings]" or "[SystemSettings]" to 

[/Script/Engine.RendererOverrideSettings]

Enjoy you own config :)

Thank you so much it worked. My potato is still kicking.

To be honest, I would die if my game looked like that.

It literally looks like you're playing one of those pixelated horror games that were super popular a few years back.

• holywhitetrashholywhitetrash Member Posts: 254

you literally asked what competitive advantage these settings would have on the game and then they told you what they would be (my favorite was the foliage, in pubg it was insane how much of advantage turning down foliage gave you)

they didn't even include turning off chase music so you can hear every action the other person is taking while they can't hear you

everyone having access to these changes would still mean very little since most players like to have games that don't look or sound like trash and some players are ok with making their game look like crap even on a high end machine for the advantage it gives you

oh and i used to play this game on 30 fps all the time, good skill checks weren't much harder but great skill checks weren't worth trying

• ceridwen309ceridwen309 Member Posts: 497

I would like the option for extra graphic control, especially if they are already technically in game.

Although, behavior may have a reason for not releasing them yet.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 11,721

Does your computer even meet the minimum hardware requirements?

• HeroiqHeroiq Member Posts: 921

F*ck!

dead by roblox. i'll always miss you. best settings ever... R.I.P.

• MochanMochan Member Posts: 2,886

Its crazy! Imagine how easy it is to see Survivors with those setttings.

• AceonfireAceonfire Member Posts: 191

no..they can't. That's the problem. They built the meta of this game around a bunch of things THEY WISH they could control. Bet this questiooon was asked by some dumb exec there at least once

"can we somehow stop them from adjusting the brightness of their monitors!!!?>??"

That falls into what they can't control, plus that's not restricted to PC, and is a moot point.

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 7,587
    edited June 6

Meeting the requirements of games is one of the basics of PC gaming.

If you can't play it and you want to, it might be time to upgrade.

I wouldn't mind SOME more options, but we would never be able to set it so pixelated.

• MochanMochan Member Posts: 2,886

The pixel art look is interesting but seriously a game should never have the ability to be reduced graphically to the point that it gives an unfair advantage.

We used to do this in Counterstrike disabling meshes and grass so we could see through the bridge in CS_Aztec and other spots. It's without a doubt an unfair advantage, and it's huge in a game like DbD that is all about hide and seek.

edited June 6

Foliage density and foliage quality are two different things. PUBG reduced the foliage density and render distance (before they fixed it).

99% of the grass in this game are 2D textures and not actual 3D objects. You can reduce the texture resolution on the grass, without reducing the density of the grass.

Turning up or down the chase music doesn't help with giving a player more FPS at all.

And I know how hard hitting great skill checks are at low FPS. That's why having more options would be great when Ruin is in 99% of the games that I am in as a survivor. I know I have the skill to hit greats almost all the time because when I reach 60+ FPS in a match, I consistently hit greats. I can't when it dips below 60 fps. If I could actually change the game resolution to what I [BAD WORD] wanted and not have a slider that resets every time I restart the game as well as the resolution scaling, I would be able to hit 60 FPS all the time.

If options truly give that much of a competitive edge, then why doesn't everyone play on the lowest or best settings in PUBG? Everyone's options are always different. Why do they still have options in the first place still, since they can apparently be abused? The only case that was indeed providing a competitive advantage, they removed, as they should have.

Honestly, I can't believe people are actually arguing against more options and think the lack of options we have now is somehow good for the game. That seriously boggles my mind. Surely, having at least the options we have in a text file that we are allowed to edit in the options menu should be the freakin' minimum requirement here. Why the hell do I need to CLOSE THE GAME and fiddle around in a config file document to get the settings I want, where half of those settings don't even save in the first place or translate differently inside the actual game?

• SadonicShadowSadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,122

I am saving that screenshot. That looks awesome! It reminds me of retro games from the 90s.