We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Why do these totem spots exist?

Seriously, why?

Comments

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 5,766

To remind players that using a high payoff perk such as hexes doesn’t come without risk!

Don’t be overly reliant on hexes. Have back up strategies and learn to adapt on the fly.

Especially in regards to Ruin. Learn how to pressure gens. Ruin is not needed despite how loud the majority are. The majority used to believe the earth was flat. Food for thought...

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 3,254

Basically what the guy above me said is a good point.

But other than that, they are working on Totem Spots, even though I think Totems should change in appearance.

But well - where do you expect them to be? There need to be 5 Totems on the Map, and they all need to be placed with some restrictions. They cannot be just random, so they have Totem Spots. But there need to be some obvious ones, because otherwise you will have even less potential Totem Spots, which results in Hex-Perks found even earlier.

Oh, and it would help a lot if the Killer would not run into the direction of his Totem right at the start to check it. If someone is on it, it will be gone eventually anyway, but for me, I can find a lot of Hex-Totems, just because the Killer decides to run to it ASAP.

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 5,766

Exactly

i’ve lost count of the amount of times I’ve been able to cleanse NOED or other hexes because a killer has accidentally lead me straight to it because of their paranoia, which to me inherently leads me to believe these types of killers don’t have back up plans

• yeetyeet Member Posts: 1,684

try not to sound so condescending, gonna be difficult to get people to agree with you that way

• Star99erStar99er Member Posts: 785
    edited June 2019

Doesn’t really apply to Third seal or Huntress Lullaby. Those Hex perks aren’t worth running.

• KiskashiKiskashi Member Posts: 1,043
    edited June 2019

The right in the middle of the cornfields one is pretty interesting too had that recently but the ones right next to gens shouldn’t exist, ever. I have actually seen some that are slowly getting better but still hoping for true randomisation of totems spawns eventually. Those are the only two I can’t stand though, middle of open fields or right next to gens. Everything else I can deal with because they actually have to look a bit. It’s not that hard to find all of them now, but I do hope they remove these particular ones.

• BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 5,715

"Oh, and it would help a lot if the Killer would not run into the direction of his Totem right at the start to check it. If someone is on it, it will be gone eventually anyway, but for me, I can find a lot of Hex-Totems, just because the Killer decides to run to it ASAP."

Devils advocate here. The times you don't run straight to it, it gets cleanses instantly because someone spawned there. You know how many times I can run straight to it and someones already on it? A LOT.

It's a lose/lose situation.

"But well - where do you expect them to be? There need to be 5 Totems on the Map, and they all need to be placed with some restrictions. They cannot be just random, so they have Totem Spots. But there need to be some obvious ones, because otherwise you will have even less potential Totem Spots, which results in Hex-Perks found even earlier."

This is because of poor map design limiting the places they can be placed.

• miaasmamiaasma Member Posts: 911

i mean they're right, regardless of tone

that being said there's a totem spot on disturbed ward that is literally completely out in the open with zero cover, so totem spawn locations (as well as survivors still spawning in very close proximity to hex totems) need work

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 8,674
    edited June 2019

Can we make the game be able to randomly put Totems in Lockers as well please?

If a Survivor interacts with a Locker containing the Totem, instead of going in, they'll leave it open and can now cleanse it.

Meaning the Locker can't be used for hiding until it's cleansed.

After cleansing it, the Locker automatically closes, so they can perform the "Hide in Locker" animation properly.

A Killer can re-close open Lockers.

A Huntress would skip the first bit of her animation since the Locker is open.

The Locker would, obviously, hide the Totem and it would also reduce the sound to a 1 meter radius.

The devs want Survivors to make more use of Lockers, so tadaah.

• Aven_FallenAven_Fallen Member Posts: 3,254

@Blueberry

I mean, yeah, it can happen that someone spawns on it and can cleanse it. I would lie if I say that this does not happen to me. In fact, one time I did not see my Hex immediatly (probably behind a Gen from my Point of View), and it got cleansed before I knew where it was.

But, if someone spawns on the Hex, the Hex is basically gone. This person will go back to it as soon as possible, and if others see it as well, it is pointless anyway.

So I prefer not to go to my Hex so that people cannot guess where it is.

Regarding the Map Design:

Maybe when they put in more but shorter Loops, there are more Hiding Positions. But so far the number is limited and I prefer some more obvious spots rather than X Hidden Spots, when this means that those Spots can be checked quite fast.

Like I said, I wish they would change in appearance. Totems are too big, you can see them from miles away. They should be smaller (1/3 of their current size). Still visible, but you cannot see them when you are far away.

• BongbingbingBongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

My guess is there will always be obvious totem spawns to help out newer players, we know newer players game play is of high concern to the devs.

Personally I'd like if you actually had to search for the totems instead of just running by them. The Devs tend to forget that survivors being third person lets them scout the map so easily.

• ReikoMoriReikoMori Member Posts: 1,308

NOED is the backup plan. If you're main plans work out then you'll never really need it. Yet, if they fall through then NOED is the back up. What's the back up for losing Devour Hope though? Nothing. Hexes are supposed to be high risk, but often the reward for using them isn't worth trouble. Ruin is great if it lasts long enough, but you're more likely to start a game and it get destroyed before the 2mins. Usually due to piss poor spawning rules for totems. They said they are trying to put them in better places, but you could easily so alot of problems by not putting next to gens and not putting them in open fields.

• Pike_TrickfootPike_Trickfoot Member Posts: 437

Or spawning the killer right next to it. Smart survivors check where the killer came from and so a killer can be punished by poor spawning even though they didn't go to check.

• ZVomZVom Member Posts: 72

All killer perks should be Hexes. That would finally make them balanced and game would be playable for survs.