Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions
We have been investigating cases of distributed denial of services (DDoS) over the last week. We take these reports extremely seriously. We're actively monitoring the situation internally and with our partners to gather as much information as possible and identify trends.

We are terribly sorry to those who have been affected by these attacks- we understand the impact this has on you. We are taking every appropriate measure to ensure the safety of our players.

We encourage our players to report to us any cases of DDoS, as well as any other form of inappropriate or abusive behaviour in the game. In the meantime, we encourage you to stay safe and follow best practices for online safety.

Open letter / Feedback on player base

Comments

• GraveHunterGraveHunter Member Posts: 328
    edited June 2019

9/10 games are exactly my experience, like the topic starter has stated. It makes the game more and more less appealing to play to be honest. I mean, why that extreme tryharding when there are 4 cakes burned? At least make it fun for all the players (NOT saying you should farm!!!)

I'm not gonna burn any more cakes/party streamers, I'm done.

But... today I got a Myers daily. There was 1 cake burned from a survivor. I let everyone (except the one who killed himself on hook) escape with at least 20k points. Just to let people see some people want to play more relaxed and give this "event" a bit more positive experience.

• LuuneLuune Member Posts: 43

Its showing off to be the superior role. Which is fine when it happens once in a while and can cause some good laughs on both sides but the game becomes less fun when it happens all the time. Although I feel like it’s something to compensate some stress issues (not intended to be shady, just out of curiosity)? :)

At that point its mostly: Why would I play as a survivor when I have no chance to escape or will only be a gen jockey because I get no chance to do anything else? Why would I play as a killer when people try to annoy me all time instead of just playing the game? There is just no thrill to it. Both sides need to have an experience or its no gg. :)

• DarkskiesDarkskies Member Posts: 1,134

Very true i say to myself hey maybe this person had a few bad games maybe they was really trolled or got abusive messages to give them reasons to be acting in this manner or maybe it is like you say a power role feeling because i play killer and it is not a power role in the slightest so maybe they enjoy that feeling or maybe its just fun.

But i have had really extremely bad games as killer its a role i play more so i have been frustrated and i have had many horrible messages but i would never resort to playing horrible or disrespectful because of it.

I guess its a state of mind and as i can see people will say oh its because of this i do these things (gen rush tunnelling etc) always a reason to do ucalled things in game and after.

Especially the messages on PlayStation its more personal as they have to spend the effort to message you and i have had very horrible ones from just using franklins lol

Also got told i was the worst pig main ever and i should give up or kill myself because im a failure..... I am still playing pig regardless because that is that persons opinion and it does not effect me in the slightest.

❤️🐷

• ReddRedd Member Posts: 826

People try hard when bps are burned bc they assume the other side will try hard and after so many games they don’t want to keep missing out by being nice.

• RoKruegerRoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

@Darkskies I think that clown did that because he had used an Ivory Memento mori offering and was starting and canceling the mori animation with the hope that you disconected so he could save the mori to use on another survivor. I saw it in a video recently and I plan to use that strategy in my next match.

The slashing and nodding is to assert dominance ;-) Again I guess is hoping that you get mad and disconect so the sacrifice gets done much faster. But, in my case, I also do it with the last survivor for the dominance part. It is particularly funny with Freddy or a frenzied Legion because they don't stop to clean their blades :-)

It's regreatable, but I think it will be dificult for you to suffer those tactics from my hand because I play in South America.

Of course I always write "GG" first thing in the chat, like you, then laugh at the survivors that insult me, but never at the survivors that also write "GG".

• n2njauwun2njauwu Member Posts: 256

ye but tbh in a soccer match there is 11 vs 11 if i rememeber correctly , and herre you are 1 v 4 and have limited time , so most killers want to break ronaldos legs so they can chill and have more time xd

@Darkskies "Also got told i was the worst pig main ever and i should give up or kill myself because im a failure"

What a nice trophy! I play on PC and leave my Steam profile open so dead survivors can leave their salty insults filled with anger and frustration. I call those comments my "trophies". I have 160 of those to this day. If you get that much hate from some entitled loser you shoud be proud! You ruined some spoiled child afternoon/evening! Good for you!!!

Of course I also lose matches, I don't keep the comments that they may leave me in those cases ;-P but I take the loss and play again or go do something else, those kind of people are below us, they don't matter at all.

Purposefully trying to ruin someone’s day is very much sadistic and it’s no behaviour I would personally support. Actually saddens me in a way. But I won’t give it further attention.

Incidentally, this is basically how my Steam profile looks like with all those salty comments from dead survivors

• martin27martin27 Member Posts: 696

I'm on PS4 and i've also noticed a huge increase in toxicity in the game then what there use to be. Use to be it was just a handful of [BAD WORD] but now both sides act toxic to each other because they just expect that the other side is going to be toxic to them.

• ReddRedd Member Posts: 826

Shower Thought:

A whole lot of toxicity would go away if the grind wasn’t so bad.

• martin27martin27 Member Posts: 696

I wish i'm wrong but i don't think that would help.

• saminationsamination Member Posts: 310

I understand, but ignoring the toxic chat takes away their power. They usually do it to make you reply and get upset. I know some are simply blowing off steam, but let them do that in private. I swear if you block this at every turn you will enjoy the game more.

On my way home I just thought about how other games handle toxicity. Most of them got a vote and reward system. Like as killer you can honour survivors that played nicely and as a survivor you get to vote for your mates (limited on the people you just voted for due to swf) as well as for the killer. This might be something to encourage less toxic in-game behaviour. Rewards would possibly be shards -> or experience to get shards. The reporting system stays as such. I know that it was a topic on the latest survey but I’m not sure if there is any discussion around that. Maybe it’s some time addressed in a Q&A? Can you shed some light, @Peanits ? :)

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

@Luune

Oh god no. A lot of players would just abuse such a system, sadly.

Upvoted pony because much love but honestly nothing can be done but change your point of view. Just send out love regards and respect when possible i just had a legion apologise for using a mori... Never do so its part of the game and i respect you for playing 🐷❤️

@NoShinyPony

Why abuse it? It’s just an additional option to honour a player for a good game - with which they might get rewards in the long run. I don’t see any abuse. Either you honour or you don’t. Let’s give good feelings to those who work for good games - the current honour goes unnoticed unfortunately. :)

• ItsYourBoyGuzmaItsYourBoyGuzma Member Posts: 799

How is there a double standard? I always try to look on both sides and constantly state so. This post is not about toxic killers. It’s about all the DbD players.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 21,675

The double standard is that you dismiss things survivors do to survive (or delay dying) as being, quote, "game mechanics". However, if killers also use game mechanics to kill (or speed up kills), you consider it toxic.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 4,682

@Redd So OP is making the observation that they have experienced a lot of "Tunneling and Camping" and you want to blame survivors for this, because they "Gen Rush". Like, what does that even mean?

Every single time a killer has complained about Gen Rush is because they haven't been catching a survivor and don't know when to stop. At some point you HAVE to break the chase or stop being paranoid and leave the hook/check lockers around the hook, or else you will hear gens pop.

@Luune The problem starts at the top. Many of the things that are available in the game, whether it be perks or items encourage a certain kind of behaviour during gameplay. Players take advantage of this (both survivors and killers), and think they are entitled to being toxic post match chat because they "won". I don't think it's fair on either side, but what are you gonna do, when some of the game's mechanics already encourage it.

• Pike_TrickfootPike_Trickfoot Member Posts: 437

Only you have control of your actions and reactions. Anything that gives you a rise is toxic IF you act on it. There are mechanics that can be abused, it's your choice if you do. I don't run DS though I could, because I find it toxic. It's my choice and I don't blame the killer if they tunnel me for not running it.

I think there should be some way to commend good people. The props thing doesn't feel like anything. I play on Smite and I love collecting those honors and you get stuff at the end of the season/year.

Not exactly true. I regard it as toxic if you take players out instantly and not give them a chance from the very begining. Taking a whole game from a person that wasnt able to do anything as soon as he/she went down. So they basically get into a lobby, get unlucky and die within the first 2min - considering how long qtimes can take... I do not like the idea of that as it doesnt seem intended by the game design (yet i know BHVR thoughts on tunnel/camp - it just doesnt feel right). I don't know what else to call it honestly. If you go for someone else in between I dont mind it at all, but always staying close and waiting for it? Nah, I don't like that. Ofc, 3-4 instaheals suck but its like with killer OS Addons. They do not have it every game. So its hard to call it toxic to use instaheals - although i get what u mean. I know why people tunnel but i think it wouldnt change much if gens got to be repaired slower. Its just very tricky in general.

I wouldnt mind survivors not to have instas and such if tunnel wasn't possible.

Smite, League, Overwatch, ... so many multiplayer games adopted those honour systems. The only downside to it is people not honouring you when youd probably deserve it, but so what?

• RaidokuRaidoku Member Posts: 69

TBH playing as a survivor means your lkely going to die due to your team not doing their part camping hatch or simply hiding in the basement or lockers the whole time if your playing with randoms. Hopefully Devs patch game to make it less toxic experience for all players i made a forum about other modes that could be added and tweaks to fix killers and improve % of winning.

Because every time it subjective there is no counter you be the good guy you get abused you go try hard the sams ob both sides excuses i wish we could come together forget the difference but im dreamer... But im not the only one 🐷❤️

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    edited June 2019

@Luune

Players will rarely rate a person they've lost to positively, even if this person played absolutely normal and would deserve a good rating.

Post edited by NoShinyPony on

Can only speak for me and my friends as we take the time to message people on PS4 (we have to go to their profile and open the conversation if possible and type via controller or have to open the app on the phone to text) to tell them that they’ve played well. There are lots of sour losers, but I think there are as many kind people as there are salty ones. 🤔

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 21,675

Common survivor mistake: killers don't care about you, specifically, unless you stand out in some way. They're just trying to win. The things survivors do that you said you didn't consider toxic, well they're not fun for killers either. So why is one side's fun relevant and the other's isn't?