The 3.4.1 hotfix is rolling out on Steam and PS4, with Xbox and Windows Store following soon. For patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/110295/
The disconnect penalty test will take place sometime after the update is released on PC platforms and Switch™.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Kick and Tap a Gen

xEaxEa Member Posts: 542

Hello

I was always wondering about this mechanic of the game, that when a killer is kicking a Gen (which lastes like 2 Seconds) a Survivor can just Tap it (takes a split second) and this stops the regression.

My suggestion is that it should take also like 2 Seconds to stop the regression (about the Time a killer needs to kick the gen).

Any thoughts about this?

Kind regards

Comments

• DBDbuildsYTDBDbuildsYT Member Posts: 1,042

Fair

• darktrixdarktrix Member Posts: 1,083

Killers are generally ignorant about generator repair, so they clumsily kick at the gen to stop it. Survivors being mechanical engineers (apparently) repair it quickly because all the killer did was knock a wire loose. /nod

• xEaxEa Member Posts: 542

Yes that was one of my thoughts about it. Just run to the gen, tap it really quick and leave again.

In my opinion, Gens are already done quick and this would be a fair way to balance it a little bit.

As a Killer i often think when i am next to a gen that it is not worth the time kicking it, since it will taped anyway really soon. I also see the other perspecitve as a survivor, that (for example when i am about to rescue some1 off a hook) i just quickly tap the gen and then go to safe the person.

• TWiXTTWiXT Member Posts: 626
    edited July 2

Someone once proposed the idea that when Plague vomits on/infects a gen it starts regressing and keeps regressing even when being repaired as long as its infected. Since generators regress at .25 of a charge per second, and a lone survivor repairs at a rate of 1 charge per second, this would mean that they'd be repairing at .75 charges per second, which out of 80 seconds for normal completion would add 20 seconds of repair time for a lone survivor as long as the gen remained infected.

A similar idea could apply for regressing generators by putting a timer on how long a generator will keep regressing while being worked on, and make the survivors work through it until its done, something like 5 seconds or so, which would add 1.5 seconds to the overall repair if a survivor jumped on the gen right after the killer kicked it. That would definitely keep survivors from abusing the tap and run tactics, and encourage more coordinated team-play where someone distracts the killer while someone else hops on long enough to stop the regression.

Another, possibly simpler solution was to give all killers a flat rate of instant regression on gens per kick, like 5%. This would discourage survivors from continuously tapping a regressing gen in the killers presence, as each new kick from the killer would knock it down more and more. Again this would encourage the aforementioned 1 distracts while 1 repairs tactics above to recoup whatever progression was lost in the initial kick, and try to gain more progress.

In all honesty, Gens pop so quickly in the game currently, and some of these ideas may be better for the games balance overall, but we wouldn't know for sure unless any of them were tested.

• xEaxEa Member Posts: 542

Nice posting TWiXT, all of the listed ideas have some merites.

Devs, make Gen kicking viable please :) At this current state, it is clearly not.

• malloymkmalloymk Member Posts: 491

I think it makes sense, but it would really hurt survivors when there is 1 gen left but only 2 or 3 survivors left.

Gens definitely nees slower repair/faster regression in the early game though.

• FrozenscumFrozenscum Member Posts: 393

Kicking generator should apply momentarily 5% regression followed by normal regression.

Thus, if survivor taps gen midchase Killer can regress it for another 5%.