The 3.4.2 hotfix is starting to roll out on PC and consoles. For the release schedule and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/112060/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Dead Hard not working sometimes?

I have been playing for a few hours now, sometimes dead hard will proc, other times I get the exhausted effect but the dead hard doesn't happen. I have heard a couple others complain about this in post game chat, but did not see a thread on it so thought I would start one.

Comments

• SkeletalEliteSkeletalElite Member Posts: 457

Just experienced this, used my dead hard, it did nothing and I became exhausted.

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 326

Same here

• JdsgamesJdsgames Member Posts: 1,109

Might be an issue with the servers. I haven't seen complaining prior to servers being introduced.

@Jdsgames Well, aren't the servers there for better synchronization of the players? Now they ruin it like the hatchet double hits on the first servers PTB? May I laugh?

See, this is gonna be a common issue. It is apparent you don't understand why it is an issue. Most of the game logic has been centered around the host AKA killer. So things seemed a bit more stable. If the killer was laggy so were hits and other things. Since you were behind killer time. Think of it like timezones. You were just a second too late because of your ping. The killer already swung on his end and hit you.

Now all the decisions were based on the killer.

Let's swap the concept over to the server. Depending on if the killer still controls decisions or does the actual server. If the server is doing so it is gonna update to whomever has the fastest ping. If joe has the fastest ping and says you got hit. Your latency probably caused it to seem like a miss but you got hit anyway. So instead of that data being sent between.

Survivor(Client) and Killer(Host) this ends up becoming a lack of priority. If the server takes the word of the killer all the time the latency between you and the killer is gonna be worse. Since the killer is gonna have to tell the server to tell you something happened. It is almost like asking Peanits to send a message to you from me instead of pinging you myself.

So here is what happens:

Survivor: I used dead hard -> Server <-Killer: I swung and hit him.

Your dead hard is gonna most likely be exhausted and you will get hit since the pings are around the same.

Right now it is a tech test and depending on the development state. Remember this game was not designed around a server being in the middle. The tech test is simply can it withstand matches and function semi-decently. Which imo it did quite well. Kinks but they get ironed out mostly before launch. @Deadeye

@Jdsgames The server is the one that gets all the information. There should be like timestamps of the messages, so if the survivor triggers dead hard with a better ping, he should get the feedback that he triggered the perk and got not hit, because the hit message from the killer arrived 10ms later. There is no point, why all the calculation is done on a single machine and answering to both clients two different results

That could happen before because the survivor machine calculates based on what it knows so far, starting the dead hard animation, sending the info to the killer machine and then getting the answer "nope, you were too late, please animate a down on your side".

The survivor machine should not trigger an exhausted, and communicate to the server "I'm exhausted", it should send a "I wanna exhaust with dead hard, pls tell me if it worked". That is the point to dedicated servers.

The main issue for dedicated servers is I think "why did I get hit even if I was already running behind the window" vs "why did I not hit even the survivor was still in the vaulting animation". Dead hard was never a thing before.

But there was already an issue fixed several verisons earlier, related to D-strike that was used up after a successful skill check but not working, when in the same time the killer hooked you. Perk wasted for no effect. I think this is the same error source, like calculating "I used it, let be jump off" but getting a "you just got hooked" without updating that the D-Strike should not be wasted.

But I can't imagine how this was not an issue on dead hard before but now became an issue on dedicated servers

@Jdsgames Ok, read your second post after I posted. Maybe there is much to do, just used to getting the live update 1-2 weeks after PTB. If this servers test is again not planned for soon release, no idea how far it is. I'm just still curious how the issue can occur to send out two different results to both clients related to the same situation.

@Deadeye Servers are just being run for a tech test. They will most likely will not be run live with the next patch. As you have said you are correct. However, the logic of always waiting would seem like the game is freeze framing. Right now the mechanics are based on the old not new system. That is why it was said they didn't care about gameplay. They know functionality wise it is not fully ready. Right now you have mishandling of some actions and timing of latency. Once the mechanics are better suited for the middle man server these things won't happen. Well, I mean we are talking about DBD they might still exist LOL. Similar to double hatchets you were essentially told you were hit. Then by the time either the collision of the hatch disappeared you were registered as hit again.

• ErasoxErasox Member Posts: 53

Dont forget there is a delay on every action you will do depends on your ping and there only 30hz servers now.

The Servers are Work in Progress and this game was build from scratch on p2p not on dedicated server that mean they need the build this game from the scratch with all changes now. And thats not soo easy as you think.

Not saying that it is easy. I just was not aware of the progress of this and it seemed quiet funny that it introduces a bug that it essentially should take care of

• ShrekIsHotShrekIsHot Member Posts: 2,754

Nothing new, sometimes it's cause of lag spikes.

• SaenariaSaenaria Member Posts: 9

This is still an issue now that the Freddy rework is live, dead hard procs, but only the exhausted effect takes place, the animation of the lunge forward does not happen at least 50% of the time.

• BlondeMegPlsBlondeMegPls Member Posts: 65

Also experiencing this issue, activate dead hard, no dead hard happens and I get exhausted...

• eyesuueyesuu Member Posts: 1

I'm getting the same issue latly, I guess it stared after Freddy came out.

• DontFaceCampDontFaceCamp Member Posts: 11

when i use dead hard it doesnt even move forwards. sometimes i get the iframe, most of the time not. im pretty sure its not ping based cause i had 50 ping(lowest ever on this game) and still dead hard did nothing except give me exhaustion. ive had it actually lag me backwards.

• DixieNormousDixieNormous Member Posts: 7

Even when I've used the dead hard and not had the exhausted effect, I still go down, this has happened multiple times now, from different distances and different timings

• LosehawkLosehawk Member Posts: 1

They said they fixed it but its still bugged...

• coley_219coley_219 Member Posts: 13

Someone started a deadhard thread October 25th also....my friend is experiencing this also and we are not on dedicated servers yet - we are on PS4...just going to repeat what I said in the other thread since I'm hoping a moderator sees it one way or another:

"I'm hoping a moderator responds here...my friend mains deadhard and is typically going down because the lunge attack (not demogorgon) is snapping her out of the deadhard she started, making the hit count and causing the exhausted status while she's lying on the ground. Just curious to see where devs are with this or if it's a known issue being worked on - thanks!"