The 3.2.0 update is now live on PC and consoles. For more information, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87832/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Do Killers Need A Buff?

I've been playing DBD on PS4 for a year and I main survivor but recently started to play killer, and in 2 hours went from rank 19-15 and every game I killed all survivors. Is it different on PC and when I get lower what are some tips for Billy?

Best Answer

Answers

• rantypaidrantypaid Member Posts: 27

I agree, killers are in a decent spot. The problem I am feeling right now is that suvivors and killers both need another objective. Rushing gens and murdering are the main mechanic in this game and they work. However, something else needs to be, perhaps an idol that the killer collects to bring to an altar and get a buff from the entity, while the survivors can find and hold onto them to keep them out of the killer's hands. This can help survivors decide if the toolbox gen rush is worth letting the killer have a buff.

What would be the buff? I dunno, what if mori was no longer an offering and instead was an objective?

• Captain_DoomsdayCaptain_Doomsday Member Posts: 175

Yes, but a scaling one. The fastest Killers are currently viable, but the slowest need a way to keep up. I suggest fast-travel points around maps.

• VCDiamondFinderVCDiamondFinder Member Posts: 62

I would agree, If they added a bit more to make the game less 1 dimensional it would make it easier for those learning while adding a fun spent to those at rank 1, and the slower killers should either be long range or teleporting to counter loops like the Nurse. I feel the problem is the maps are designed to be either really killer friendly or really survivor friendly, and the gen placements will screw survivors over a lot if not careful

• SunderMunSunderMun Member Posts: 572
    edited July 14

Map reworks first, and then appropriate killer balance changes, please...except in the case of glaring issues such as Legion (and Freddy 1.0)

• DoubleTapDoubleTap Member Posts: 218

Killers could collect bones from broken hex and dull totems to repair their hex totems?

It's not that hard? As killer as far as I can tell from playing it's a matter of time, you can hate but in my experience pipping is really easy so it wouldn't take that long

I will admit I've only gotten to rank 15 but with SWF I have gone against green ranks and still killed them with ease, so experience tells Me the lower I go the longer the game but same results, which is why it's hard for me to wanna play killer since it is always the same game after game

• SlayerSlayer Member Posts: 1,148
    edited July 14

Balance is fine for both sides anyone who disagrees is being biased.

A few killers needs some addons to be in their base kit.

• ArecBalrinArecBalrin Member Posts: 598

We actually do not know the state of balance in the game and have only a vague idea about what the devs consider balance to look like.

• SpyMatureSpyMature Member Posts: 139

Some Killers need to be nerfed, some need to be buffed, for example Nurse's addons that gives her more than 2 blinks etc, Bubba's chainsaw slowdown being slower than Hillbilly's etc.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,453

On red ranks the gates are powered within the first 3-4 minutes. Survivors that know how to keep you busy for 5 gens and that power through ruin.

On rank 20 to 15 you can't literally depip. On red ranks you could get 4 kills + max bloodpoints and still only safety pip.

edited July 14

Single gen takes about 1:16 if you hit all the greats skillchecks.

Its more than "possible" to get 3-4 kills even under that time you mentioned above.

• TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,453

Single gen takes 80 seconds for a single survivor, when you hit normal skill checks and don't use toolboxes. Since great skill checks are RNG you could get 1 or 10 during the repair.

Usually 1 survivor gets chased and loops the killer through a jungle gym while the 3 other survivors repair gens.

It's not unusual to see 2-3 gens done before the killer hooks the first survivor.

Hook phase is 120 seconds from first hook till death. From there one survivor unhooks while the other two repair.

• ArecBalrinArecBalrin Member Posts: 598

Survivors would have to be literally jumping into your arms to be hooked, one after the other or making majorly poor decisions.

The hook process is intentionally longer than the time it takes to do a generator, by a substantial margin. The last time the base generator progress speed was increased(from 70 to 80 seconds), each stage of the hook was increased by 15 seconds not long after(from 45 to 60). It takes a full two minutes for someone who isn't rescued to die on the hook.

Then add in the time for chases, which also keep increasing with no corrosponding increase in the base time for generators to be repaired and killers getting very little in terms of chase-shortening options. All we get is stuff for saving time, not making better use of time.

Shrinking maps would actually do a LOT to balance the game. It wouldn't be too big of a buff to the already-top Killers, but the slower/lower tier ones would get a huge leg up.

• DecarcassorDecarcassor Member Posts: 189

The pipping requierments increase with rank. Its easy to pip in double digit ranks, especially since you are likely playing against survivors who don't know what they are doing.

From purple ranks and up you start to face good survivors and the pipping conditions are much more strict. You can get 3 kills and just black pip or even depip. And it get worse in red ranks.

Get to red ranks, not even rank 1 and see how you like it. Then we can discuss killers pros and cons.

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 2,988

@VCDiamondFinder We can assure you that once you manage to get to green/purple rank, the pipping requirements become excessively stupid. You can draw a game out over 10 minutes, get 4 kills, place a high amount of pressure on gens, and at best receive a safety pip.  So even if you personally feel a match didn’t give you much trouble at these ranks, and you feel that you “won”, the game starts frequently telling you “no, sorry, that wasn’t good enough.”

• miaasmamiaasma Member Posts: 911

certain ones do

• CosmicScientistCosmicScientist Member Posts: 41

As per the wiki (remember each emblem awards 0-4 points each, so there are 16 to get in total):

• Rank 20-17, 9+ emblem points to pip
    • Rank 16-13, 10+ points to pip
    • Ranks 12-9, 10+ points to pip
    • Ranks 8-5, 11+ points to pip
    • Ranks 4-1, 12+ points to pip

As you can probably see, it gets harder to continue to pip unless you equip time wasting perks like Ruin, hook multiplying perks like BBQ, or for survivor you pick time wasting perks like Adrenaline or DS.

I personally wish generators would change the map more to invalidate areas for hiding or looping (it's a completed area - no-one should be there anymore), looping around a single pallet had entity intervention like windows (the game should direct you to be chased across the map otherwise the other survivors are bored) and I wish building windows had limited total uses (e.g. 1 use) because even streamers don't touch the the buildings of ironworks, suffocation pit, torment creek, rancid abattoir and mother's dwelling for how safely they extend chases, with pallets nearby for if the windows do trigger the entity, I know suffocation pit fails to due to its length even as a 115% movement speed killer, which didn't make for a fun game.

I might even prefer a one use building route per map that actually lets you escape the killer because at least then you can go and patrol other generators rather than pretend a 3-5 gen loop is fun for the killer or the survivors who are just holding M1 elsewhere.

The map shrinking as generators are completed could actually be interesting, but if gens towards the middle of the map just made a big round obstacle, that would only benefit Survivors in most cases.

edited July 15

If your first chase goes that long you already doing bad.

What you say is that three survivors doing gens while one get chased. Thats a definition of a bad play from killer perspective. Its obvious to monkey that gens will pop up very fast in that case. While survivors fix gens very fast when split up they barely able to fix gens when killer keeps them all under pressure. How fast game snowballs in killers favour when killers gets to find a rescuer. While survivors task is to split up killers task is to bring them all together.

• CosmicScientistCosmicScientist Member Posts: 41

Mayhap a shrinking map would also be interesting. I can see killers having a field day if they have to search nowhere for survivors though, especially movement and one hit down killers.

I was thinking more about slowly removing pallets, jungle gyms & immersion friendly objects where there are neither uncompleted generators nor one of the three exits nor the basement, since I don't have fun being baited into what will be an adrenaline ended chase after five pallets away from the trigen. Though either your or my idea wouldn't be friendly to any survivors ranks 20-10.

Even so, in all my time playing you rarely get this combo to work, unless you're in a SWF group sweating. Usually somebody misses a skill check, ruin slows it more. When a survivor is hooked it's almost 100% certain 2 survivors are not on gens and going for the save which gets 2 survivors down. What I'm getting at is that won't always happen, you can't claim that without adding room for error because not everybody is that good

• ThePigUwUThePigUwU Member Posts: 4

I agree that the killers don't necessarily need any buffs. Map adjustments and secondary objectives could work out well to make the game less straightforward and easy to win. I've gotten to rank 1 easily on both PC and console with a few setbacks but nevertheless it wasn't that difficult to pip. Survivors always will make a mistake that you can catch them up on to get an easy sacrifice, it's literally just how you get your playstyle in and what you do with what you're given.

TLDR: They don't need to be buffed, you need to stop complaining.