The 3.2.0 update is now live on PC and consoles. For more information, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87832/
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Why always run Hex: Ruin and NOED?

I was once a rank 1 Killer, and always played off-meta; But now that I’ve decided to play more survivor, I’ beginning to feel how boring it gets when just about every Killer runs the same perks. It’s tiring. 
     What are your thoughts? Do you (any rank Killer players) feel that these perks are such a necessity? Have you made it to rank 1 without heavy use of these perks.
     I’m seriously considering coming out of retirement to show these new age Killers how it’s done.

Best Answers

• Tombstone218Tombstone218 Posts: 172
    Accepted Answer

@TheTimeMachine said:
         I was once a rank 1 Killer, and always played off-meta; But now that I’ve decided to play more survivor, I’ beginning to feel how boring it gets when just about every Killer runs the same perks. It’s tiring. 
         What are your thoughts? Do you (any rank Killer players) feel that these perks are such a necessity? Have you made it to rank 1 without heavy use of these perks.
         I’m seriously considering coming out of retirement to show these new age Killers how it’s done.

guys be careful he's going to show us new age killers how it's done

Answers

• ArcaneMantisArcaneMantis Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2018

Teach us senpai. (personally i dont run noed much but ruin about 95%)

• TheTimeMachineTheTimeMachine Member Posts: 229
    @ArcaneMantis Don’t tempt someone with a PhD in murder.
  • OrionOrion Member Posts: 11,721

2/4 perks being common is boring? How come you didn't get bored of the Survivor meta?

Orion said:

2/4 perks being common is boring? How come you didn't get bored of the Survivor meta?

As a Killer, you gain the ability to “kill” your opponent. When I was up against tough survivors; Were certain perks predictable? Sure. 
         But as “prey”, these Killers feel too predictable though. I always thought it was the Killer’s responsibility to “put on a show”. No re-runs.

@TheTimeMachine said:
    Orion said:

As a Killer, you gain the ability to “kill” your opponent. When I was up against tough survivors; Were certain perks predictable? Sure. 
         But as “prey”, these Killers feel too predictable though. I always thought it was the Killer’s responsibility to “put on a show”. No re-runs.

You thought wrong. Killers are there to play the game. They're not there for the Survivors' amusement.

• ArcaneMantisArcaneMantis Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2018

@TheTimeMachine said:
    Orion said:

Well....personally im not playing the game for any ones' entertainment except my own. If that means running a few of the same perks to get those juicy kills then I'm gonna do it.

@Orion I suppose this goes back to how do players find their enjoyment. The “toxic” players are perhaps just part of any game?
    Maybe I’m one of them.
    @ArcaneMantis Would you mind if I ask approximately how long you’ve been actively playing Dead By Daylight? (Maybe I’ve just spent too much time staring at a small mess?)

@TheTimeMachine said:
    @Orion I suppose this goes back to how do players find their enjoyment. The “toxic” players are perhaps just part of any game?
    Maybe I’m one of them.

I find my enjoyment in a game well played.
    As a Killer, that means trying to kill the Survivors, assuming they put up a fight without being toxic assholes. I can enjoy a game where I get zero kills if the Survivors completely outplayed me without being toxic. Back when Survivors weren't so toxic, I let many live because they played so well I thought they deserved to live. Nowadays, though, my goal is to kill as many of them as possible as efficiently as possible.
    As a Survivor, that means trying to escape and evade the Killer, assuming the Killer also put up a fight.

@Orion I appreciate your time to comment. 
         But that kind of relentless playstyle; Does it ever get “boring”- What I mean is: Do you ever feel you could get more out of your Dead By Daylight experience? Or do you feel pretty fulfilled?

@TheTimeMachine said:
         But that kind of relentless playstyle; Does it ever get “boring”- What I mean is: Do you ever feel you could get more out of your Dead By Daylight experience? Or do you feel pretty fulfilled?

Any game can get boring, eventually. When that happens, I just play something else. IMO, if a game frustrates you or bores you more often than it amuses you, that's when you need to stop playing it.

I personally devoted my time (after rank 1 days and a “break”) playing DbD to find low ranking survivors, or simply any survivors who seemed to have a passion for the game but weren’t particularly hardcore gamers. 

I search for these ones so that I can give them a thrilling, horrifying, and suspenseful experience. Are they “false” trials though? As long as they (survivors) don’t know it, it feels so good to show them a “good time”.

But it’s been two years, and I fear that genuinely unpredictable and “noob trials” will become non-existent.
    Orion said:

@TheTimeMachine said:

Any game can get boring, eventually. When that happens, I just play something else. IMO, if a game frustrates you or bores you more often than it amuses you, that's when you need to stop playing it.

Oh I have taken a break, but... like many others who have a passion for the game; I always find myself back here. I know these opinions are mine alone, and I know the DbD team will work hard to keep their ideals and the community happy.
         This reminds me of Jason Vandenberghe’s involvement with For Honor. He expressed his passion for entertaining people (Long story, but he had a vision but it was slowly “taken away”). 
         I don’t have any influence on the game or its development, but I’m sure we all have our own ‘opinions’ on what we’d like to see. 
  • EninyaEninya Member Posts: 926

Unless you're Brokenbilly or a very good Nurse/Huntress with other strong perks and addons, you'll get rushed easily.

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,208

@TheTimeMachine said:

I very rarely play against NOED, usually it gets clansed instantly or doesnt even activate because survivors went through all the totems while searching for ruin. I stopped using NOED on my killers aswell (sometimes on trapper though)

Ruin is mandatory because of how fast the gens pop. Yeah it can be annoying but I see it as great-skillcheck practice and its actually insane how fast you can do a gen if you hit great skillchecks all the time (without ruin)

• PinkPantsPinkPants Member Posts: 6

I've noticed a lot more killers running NOED & Ruin as well, but personally I think that's a good thing because giving survivors a secondary objective helps balance the game, IMO.

@Eninya  @PinkPants @Master ;
         I appreciate your time. Does anyone feel that rank 1-10 survivors have gotten better?- if that’s possible? I could’ve swore gen rushing wasn’t as crazy (although sometimes it would) in the past years. 
         I played Doctor, Hag, Hillbilly, and Shape when I was high ranked; The trick I found was to sometimes NOT hook a downed survivor. Or NOT chase an injured survivor sometimes.
    I wonder if these tricks would still work...
  • TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,453
    @Eninya  @PinkPants @Master ;
         I appreciate your time. Does anyone feel that rank 1-10 survivors have gotten better?- if that’s possible? I could’ve swore gen rushing wasn’t as crazy (although sometimes it would) in the past years. 
         I played Doctor, Hag, Hillbilly, and Shape when I was high ranked; The trick I found was to sometimes NOT hook a downed survivor. Or NOT chase an injured survivor sometimes.
    I wonder if these tricks would still work...
    Without ruin? They'll heal and gen rush.
    I'm playing Freddy on rank 2. They gen rush as soon as ruin is down. Even during the double bp weekend, they feel the need to rush out.
    @Tsulan Yes WITHOUT Hex: Ruin every single game. It’s surprising I know, and challenging to pull off; But once you master time and health state management (obviously chases/mind games), “gen-rushing” is much more combatable.
         With The Nightmare, you have to know when to just dream sleep ‘em all and when NOT to (rarely). Various perks can mind game them, and help track.
         Insidious works sometimes too.
  • goldseeker22goldseeker22 Member Posts: 73

really? u complain about ruin and noed? lets look at the survivors.

selfcare. ALL THE TIME.
    sprintburst 9/10 survivors
    ds. almost atleast 1 in every game.
    dead hard. almost always 2 in every game.

yet u complain about perks that u can break?!

Master said:

@TheTimeMachine said:
    @Eninya  @PinkPants @Master 
         I appreciate your time. Does anyone feel that rank 1-10 survivors have gotten better?- if that’s possible? I could’ve swore gen rushing wasn’t as crazy (although sometimes it would) in the past years...

Genrushing has definitely become worse since the depip squad demonstrated how broken it is.
    In fact I didnt even knew that if 2 survivors work on a gen, that the gentime isnt just halfed and if you want to play efficient every survivor takes his own gen.

The depip experiment tried to show how broken the balance currently is, it was succesful in that way, but sadly the devs ignored it and the survivors know their power now

Aw dam so pretty much once everybody discovered these “secrets” from these players; “Why would anyone wanna play “their own way” when THIS way almost always provides success?”
         I understand why gamers might min/max games like Dark Souls or WoW but really? I thought this game thrived on individuality?
  • TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,453
    @Tsulan Yes WITHOUT Hex: Ruin every single game. It’s surprising I know, and challenging to pull off; But once you master time and health state management (obviously chases/mind games), “gen-rushing” is much more combatable.
         With The Nightmare, you have to know when to just dream sleep ‘em all and when NOT to (rarely). Various perks can mind game them, and help track.
    Insidious on Freddy?
    What would be the purpose of that? It doesn't affect his lullaby and they only have his terror radius while sleeping.

really? u complain about ruin and noed? lets look at the survivors.

selfcare. ALL THE TIME.
    sprintburst 9/10 survivors
    ds. almost atleast 1 in every game.
    dead hard. almost always 2 in every game.

yet u complain about perks that u can break?!

Self Care and Sprint Burst are/was negligible for me (most cases). I just have my ideologies about Killer role and “fun/fear” factor of the DbD.
         The perks seemed overused for Killers; Survivors are just meat. 
         But as @Master explained... for Killers to maintain an edge in this ever growing community; Hex: Ruin has become such a necessity in high- to even mid-rankings. 

Tsulan said:
    Insidious on Freddy?
    What would be the purpose of that? It doesn't affect his lullaby and they only have his terror radius while sleeping.
         You know how some certain survivors run all around the edge of the map once they’re in the dream transition? Or even when you know they’re gonna search for a gen to wake up? Use insidious while in their path and because of the fog and intense darkness they won’t see your small frame standing there. 
         (Only works sometimes- but those times can be deadly)
  • IronWolf115IronWolf115 Member Posts: 671

@TheTimeMachine said:

NOED is more of a choice thing, people take it or leave it.
    Ruin is a requirement at high rank. I have had countless games where I won it literally because they couldn't find ruin.