Something's strange about the next chapter...

Being on hook timer should stop if killer is face camping

Comments

• DWolfAlphaDWolfAlpha Member Posts: 22

How bout this then. Instead, make it so that a survivor's timer isn't accelerated by attempting to escape the hook while being face camped. The timer still progresses normally, but you have a better chance of just escaping. Sure, the killer can just down you, but it gives a slight chance to someone that has no chance.

• MadjuraMadjura Member Posts: 719

Useless for legitimate situations as you already point out

Too easy to find situations to abuse it, other survivors can just loop near the hook to give you a free escape

In the end camping is not the trash, camping is the flies that are attracted by the trash. The trash being the worthless rank system that makes the consequence of camping, making it harder to rank up, irrelevant. Ideally campers would be in the ranks where the rank rewards are not awarded but those still don't exist, over 3 years since release

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 11,712

Also already tried.

Think of rewards for the killer to leave instead of punishments for the killer staying. Those are the ideas that haven't been tried yet, because the human default for someone not doing what you want seems to be to hit them until they do, even though all research shows that doesn't actually work.

Rewards for leaving exist, higher chance for pips but rank is worthless (technically less than worthless because ranking up is bad) and BBQ, which survivors commonly cry about

The rank system needs to stop being garbage, that would solve a lot of issues at once

I knew someone would bring up BBQ, but I expected it'd be at least an hour.

BBQ is not a built-in reward like the built-in punishments (well, punishment, really, there's a single one that keeps coming back despite being an abject failure) that keep being suggested, so it's not comparable. If survivors want built-in mechanics to punish killers for camping, then they can sure as hell come up with built-in mechanics to reward killers for not camping, since those might actually work.

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 1,200

If there wasnt a penalty for trying to unhook yourself, it would be spammed UNTIL you unhook. I guess that'd result in a ~80-100% selfunhook rate before reaching stage two. I dont know how fast the self unhook action is, but i think you have a minimum of 28 attempts even if it'd take 2 seconds.

Thus possibly resulting in more camping.

BBQ is common enough to draw conclusions how a built-in mechanic would affect the game, which is to say, not a lot in regards to camping

It really isn't, no. First of all, BBQ has too many counters, so people end up just using it for the bonus BP, since the main advantage (aura reading) is effectively non-existent. Second of all, because survivors still reward camping three years in, it remains a viable strategy.

• martin27martin27 Member Posts: 403

How about we make it so that generator repair speed stops altogether or slows down when the survivors camp the gens.

• premiumRICEpremiumRICE Member Posts: 154

No? Never needed them. Pick decisive strike and ur fine

• prayer_survivorprayer_survivor Member Posts: 524

5 gens done and waiting 30 min. before going to open a door could be a strategy too, and now you have EGC. Strategies can be unfair

Holding the game hostage is against the rules. Camping isn't.

• AsheruSwiftwindAsheruSwiftwind Member Posts: 100

If the killer is face camping and your not rushing Gens to punish them for it... That's on you. Yes its not fun to get face camped there is no question about that but you should capitalize on the killers folly. Good killers don't need to camp to secure kills. Now the moment that last gen pops if I catch you sure I'll camp you then as I am going to do everything in my power to secure my objective of killing survivors but unless you are completely toxic I am just going to hook you and move on to the next target. But if you play normal I am more than willing to just play the game and go for as many hooks as I can get. Its far more worth it to me as a killer to go for the 7-9+ hooks anyway rather than the 2000 points you get if you down someone and face camp them for first hook, death hook.

• BlueFangBlueFang Member Posts: 395

You have no POWER here

• OnionthingOnionthing Member Posts: 409

Im not a facecamper, my top 3 killers (spirit, plague, hag) do not need to so such a thing myself but I did think of this:

If survivors go on and on about Killers not needing to 4K all the time. So a killer face camps, and the survivors gen rush, one dies on hook and 3 survive.. wasn't that mission accomplished? It wasnt a 4k. Or would you like some kind of "Martyr" bonus?

That could be a new perk.

Martyr - (Survivor Perk)

Target becomes the object of obsession. While on hook survivor gains 10% of all blood-points currently earned by the other survivors while on hook. Hook progression is reduced by 10%. The survivor also gains an additional 25% blood points for a Altruism category.

"Im just gonna hang out up here guys, dont worry about me. See you in 5." - Andy

• GuertenaGuertena Member Posts: 206

i agree, this is a really nice way of avoid facecamping and tunneling

• CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 2,260

And? That strategy leads to people escaping. They did their role. To your dismay, perhaps, but their job is to escape. Period.

If it's cancelled during a chase, it wouldn't be free. Forgot to mention that part.

I see people mentioning rewarding the killer for leaving. I have a better idea. So face camping 90% of time leads to an easy kill for the person being camped. For a new player especially, as new killers camp more than veteran killers, this is extremely discouraging, and as new players, they don't have access to the so-called "survivor starting pack" of perks. However, by being camped, they are keeping the killer occupied, pulling some heat off the other survivors. Reward them for it. Distraction blood point event. The longer they're camped, the more blood points they earn.

How bout it @Peanits? That sound workable? Makes being camped less frustrating, and still allows camping to be a legitimate strategy.

That makes it much better but I still don't think it would be very effective, nothing is stopping the killer from just hitting you again

More bloodpoints are always fine as long as it's not absurd (basically anything that isn't "Get 1 million bloodpoints" is reasonable). This could become a problem though with survivors getting mad because the killer ISN'T camping: I can definitely see survivors play as toxicly as possible ("Trash killer uninstall" as name or something of the like, flashlight spam macro, constant teabag) and then flaming the killer when they get ignored or he doesn't facecamp. I will admit that this seems very unlikely but considering the absolutely idiotic things I have seen happen in this game makes it seem like it's a possibility

Yeah, toxic survivors will complain about anything and everything. But if the killer stops camping, then someone can just unhook them. But this way, it stays a usable strategy, and no one gets punished. And just make it like the bleeding event or struggle event. Don't trigger it while the killer is camping, trigger it after they stop or the sacrifice is complete. That sort of thing.

• RaidokuRaidoku Member Posts: 58

It can be tested again with the timer stopping for a certain amount of time before begins giving the killer camping credit should they desire but should do something to encourage the killer to move away from hook such as cant get bloodlust when chasing or slowing down their speed I believe this mechanic needs to be reexamined and looked at by both sides killer and survivors mains to find a solution to "how long can the killer camp" & "what happens to killer when they camp too long" issues because camping is the most annoying and talked about thing in DBD especially for new players so we need to open back up this topic  

edited August 4

Hook camping may allow the other survivors more time to gen rush, but as the survivor being camped, I no longer care what the other survivors do. I'm now stuck with very few blood points, and the whole match is a waste of time for me. That's why people are upset by the tactic. Even if all 3 other survivors get away, that's great, but I'm still punished. As a killer main, when I want to spice things up as a survivor, I want to make sure that my time spent is worth it. When the killer is just standing there, waiting for someone to show up, he's not chasing anyone else. There should be a distraction blood point event for survivors that get camped. Campers are never going to stop, especially when they measure their victory based on whether or not ther get a kill. I don't care if I get sacrificed. Sometimes dying is just as fun as escaping. This really is the "It's not whether you win or lose" kind of situation, because neither truly exist in this game. Punishment is just negative reinforcement, which never gets through to anyone. You want survivors to stop complaining, enforce a positive method instead. A distraction event makes it so a camped survivor doesn't feel like they are wasting their time. Someone that thinks their time spent is worth it will keep coming back. It encourages new players and makes old ones happy without punishing anyone. The killer is only affected as much as they are now, which is practically not at all. In fact, granting blood points to camped survivors doesn't negatively affect anyone, nor does it affect killers at all.

Also, as you mentioned that it's a bad idea, there are perks that make it a great idea. I went up against a camper once. I was the only one sacrificed. All the other survivors won about 10k-12k blood points. The killer, because of perks, add-ons, and offerings, obtained over 40k. So, yeah, it can be worth it. Unless, of course, you don't care about blood points.

You failed at hiding and lost the chase. The killer won at finding you and subsequently won the chase. You do not deserve any reward whatsoever.

• JagoJago Member Posts: 440

Because it was badly executed. Just add an input that if a survivor is in a chase in the hook radius, the bar regress as normal.

Simple.

• Warlock_2020Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 994

They just need to add in a benefit to the poor shlub on the hook when the killer stays within 8 meters with no other survivors in the area. That survivor gets a percentage of the bp earned for achievements their team makes while they are hooked. That way they get something for their willingness to not just suicide and get it over with.

I'm sorry, but face camping is purely for harassment purposes. Those who say it is a legit strategy don't understand the use of the word "legit". Just looking at the numbers, it has little chance of success beyond one or two deaths and fully depends on the stupidity of other players. It should be bannable based on the fact it is primarily a way to harass other players.

I think people confuse face camping and the occasional use of camping to secure the kill. Doors open, or survivors swarming the hook are situations where you might try to secure the kill. Throwing the first person on the hook and standing there taunting them is not.

• MrMisanthropy66MrMisanthropy66 Member Posts: 27

Play the game as intended? Wow what number is that made up rule out of the survivors handbook for killers? Wow it just never ends lol