Something's strange about the next chapter...

An idea to punish facecamping

Comments

• iBetClaudetteiBetClaudette Member Posts: 26

You don't reward bad behavior. You figure out a tough enough punishment to discourage it. "Reward bad behavior"? Really? What's wrong with you people?

• Locker_MonsterLocker_Monster Member Posts: 351

No. Punishments for a valid playstyle are silly.

You may not like being camped, but that does not mean the Killer was 'wrong' or 'mean' to do so.

I've browsed a few pages on here since joining; why are people so dead set to punish a valid play style? Like..it's valid. It exists. You being unhappy does not mean devs should change it.

• Swiftblade131Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited August 12

Here's my idea for punishing a face camper.

You do the gens, and 3 people get out, and the crappy killer doesn't get to rank up. Probably better for them to stay at the rank they are at. Wouldn't even catch a survivor going up the ladder.

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 11,712

Except killers aren't dogs, and decades of research have shown that, indeed, rewarding desired behavior works better than punishing undesired behavior.

• Cayde1342Cayde1342 Member Posts: 26

If they camp just work on gens...

• michaelrandom27michaelrandom27 Member Posts: 76

That's not the point. Face camping is a terrible thing that makes survivors feel powerless, and they can't do anything about it. It's a guaranteed depip and death that you can't control. It's boring for the killer, the hooked survivor, and the gen rushing survivors and it should not be allowed in this game.

It's a legit tactic that punishes itself.

Just because you don't like it does not mean the devs should suddenly program in 300 inane rules to limit/prevent camping.

Killers can have tons of reasons why they camped, and it's not up to you to decide if those reasons were valid or not, nor can the devs program the game to realize if THIS camping Trapper is doing it to be spiteful while THAT camping Spirit did it because they suspected the Survivor had Dead Hard & Sprint Bust & Decisive Strike.

Bottom line: Camping exists. Camping is legit. Camping should not be punished.

• ASAPTurtleASAPTurtle Member Posts: 210

Camping is zzzz really but what can you do about it?

Except that games are meant to be fun. If something in the game is causing so much trouble that it gets mentioned here every day, it should not exist.

That's horrible logic.

Nobody likes losing. the game is less fun when you lose, so should losing be taken out? Should Killer and Survivor hold hands?

The only reason camping is not fun (for YOU) is because you got camped. So you want it removed so you can win next time, which would be less fun for the Killer..See the cycle?

Again; camping is FINE. You only dislike it because you lost and, like many, MANY players recently, you decided 'I lost, therefor I should ask the devs to cater to me and change the game so I can win!'

Instead of 'Maybe I should improve so I don't get camped next time'. Because that would take effort and you don't want to take effort, so you came here to try and get your way.

No, losing is still fun if you played well, had a decent chance, and got beaten. Of course it should stay. Camping, on the other hand, removes the ability to play the game for all five players, doesn't give anyone but the killer a chance to win, and requires almost no engagement for anyone involved. That's why it shouldn't exist. The majority of players hate it, and not in the same way they hate losing. A loss can usually be avoided, and avoiding a loss is part of the fun. If you get camped by Leatherface, it's hopeless. Just [BAD WORD] to get to the next game faster.

• sluc16sluc16 Member Posts: 118

Punishment for face camping is that the other three survivors can fix 3 or even 4 gens before the hooked survivor dies.

Yes it sucks for the hooked survivor cause he gets no BPs, but the other three can very easily gen rush the killer.

You're completely wrong.

When you camp, 3 Survivors can clear 6 generators (2 gens EACH) before the Survivor on the hook dies. So your little factoid about camping preventing 5 people form playing is a flat-out lie.

Camping is fine. Take the loss and move on.

You get nothing but Lightbringer for repairing generators, guaranteeing a depip if you gen rush and leave, and you will most likely either die or lose Benevolent by going for an unhook. Also, what kind of a$$hole says "Just take the loss and move on?" You think because you stood still for two minutes, you're entitled to a victory? You're a terrible person.

• DamarusDamarus Member Posts: 135

Indeed, killers who always camp are far worse than dogs. But read that again, Orion. Punishment first, rewards soon after. Never said it had to be only one of those. Don't worry though, I know who I am talking to. A guy who has never been seen agreeing with somebody other than himself.

• ReikoMoriReikoMori Member Posts: 1,175

People will never listen. The devs have put it in writing and people still refuse to accept that camping isn't something they are trying to fully discourage or prevent. The devs have said on livestreams that they are looking at ways to discourage hard camping or incentivizing leaving the hook in a timely fashion.

It won't be enough for some until a hooked survivor just has a force field erected around them in a 50m radius that only a survivor can pass through. A total killer exclusion zone.

• ToxicboiiToxicboii Member Posts: 18

You can't get camped if you don't get caught.

• ASAPTurtleASAPTurtle Member Posts: 210
    edited August 14

Explain how not camping as a killer wouldn't be fun for them? What your saying is the killer not being skillfull and killing all four survivors without using cheap tactics is "boring"?

Just by reading what you said, you're probably already a boring killer to play against that only cares about "winning" the match.

• Rokku_RorruRokku_Rorru Member Posts: 61

Why dont we just have the killer be teleported away by the entity if they stay too close by, or slowed in movement speed.

What I'm saying is that the Devs should not enforce a playstyle based on the biased opinions of people salty at that very playstyle.

You call it 'cheap', I say the Killer might have had his/her reasons to camp. You have no right to say 'You can't do that!' and demand/ask the Devs to enforce your arbitrary rules.

No. Again; it would be abused to high hell. I'd uninstall if I was trying to stop an unhook and got teleported away, or my movespeed was too slow because everyone hid JUST outside my Terror Radius until the effect kicked in & then got an easy save.

The devs already tried a 'punishment' and all Survivors did was abuse the snot out of it.

Survivors yelling for a punishment just want an easy game, plain and simple. They want to shut down a playstyle they don't like for selfish reasons. A VALID playstyle, regardless of what anyone says.

• GarciaGarcia Member Posts: 15
    edited August 14

just make an algorithm that will start to calculate like this:

After the person u hooked is unhooked a timer will begin, every 10 seconds, it count 1 point, if the killer hook that same person before 1 point, that means he had tunnel/camping and won't get bloodpoints bonus, if he hooked before finishing 6 points, he will get only half points, each hook will have a total of 8 points, in a total of 80 seconds, after that it will stop.

-- at the end of the match, the more points you have, more exp BONUS you get --.

If the killer hooked and went to another survivor, the clock will keep going until 8 points but will stop after the second hook (if it happens before getting to 8p), this systematic will keep going.

I was going to suggest to create a silent heartbeat emited by the survivor, only being able to be listen by the killer, and in that radius the killer won't get points, but that's WRONG, since we all should agree that camping is just a strategy not an exploit, if you want stay camping someone, the survivor should tell his friends and they will gen rush, because karma is a b**ch.

Altho, i really think that tunneling should be fixed, like... if there's still 5 gens left, if you tunnel the survivor, he should get your bloodpoints lefting you with 0 untill that point. But if there's 2 gens left and no sacrifice yet, tunnel is a great way to balance things and must NOT be consider a way of disgrace, the killer should not have bonus for that but in the same way should not be punish for that.

*quick note:

Also, when i'm playing killer, there are times (quiet often) that I don't want to camp or tunnel someone, so i just go forward and, in that point, someone unhook the survivor and that same unhooked guy goes directly to me and I stick my fork in him, since we can never refuse free food, so in that case, the algorithm should be added with a merge of meters, like, altho the clock ticks every 10 seconds, if that same survivor runned or walked for more than 45 meteres from where he was hooked the points will count as a full 8. 45 m in a line, not running in circles and while not in a chase!.

Heck no! Sometimes I avoid tunneling someone, chase off their friend, and then find the unhooked schmuck 3 feet away self-healing. All these half-baked fixes would punish ME for his bad play.

I should in NO WAY be punished with less bloodpoints because they were too silly to actually run away. People would abuse the hell out of this.

And on a 1 minute & 20 seconds counter? NO!

Or giving the Survivors MY bloodpoints? Double-bloody-NO! Do you know how many Survivors would try to abuse that mechanic and steal bloodpoints?

I will say it again:

KILLERS SHOULD NOT BE PUNISHED IF THEY HAVE/WANT TO CAMP OR TUNNEL!

• AzurlynxAzurlynx Member Posts: 172

Just give survivors ability to unhook themself if killer is within certain distance for certain time.

• GarciaGarcia Member Posts: 15
    edited August 14

hi, thats funny man, after I posted the comment, i remember that possibility and went edit asap, take a look in my new edited, i will paste here:

"Also, when i'm playing killer, there are times (quiet often) that I don't want to camp or tunnel someone, so i just go forward and, in that point, someone unhook the survivor and that same unhooked guy goes directly to me and I stick my fork in him, since we can never refuse free food, so in that case, the algorithm should be added with a merge of meters, like, altho the clock ticks every 10 seconds, if that same survivor runned or walked for more than 45 meteres from where he was hooked the points will count as a full 8. 45 m in a line, not running in circles and while not in a chase!."

But, that was not a punishment, that was a reward, each point will be considered in the end, and if you get points, basicaly for doing nothing, this points will generate BONUS in hunting + hooking category, so this is the opposite of punishment.

Altho i suggested one little punishment for tunneling survivors when there's 5 gens LEFT. Because i have already played this game, hundred of hours, some hours as survivor and others as killer. And i know how frustating is in the beggining of the match a noob killer tunneling me, just because he can't control the match against 4 survivors, in the end i get -2 pip and riddiculus 3k bloodpoints...

-------

But about the survivors knowing the system and abusing of your good will, just ignore the bonus in that match and bring them hell

---

Altho i think that, survivors critic so much that everytime devs needs to boost some good encouragement to the killers to avoid some kind of attitude, in the end you will see that, playing killer you get, almost always, 20k or more of bloodpoints, even a bad one (where everyone survived). While the survivors get 2-5 k for a bad match, because of a tunnel for example.

Sure. And if Survivors teabag at the exit gates, they should teleport onto Hooks.

Once again; Survivors would camp JUST outside a Killers Terror Radius and force him to camp until the Survivor can unhook for free.

Or the Killer would have to leave and GIVE the unhook to the Survivors.

Either way: The Killer is punished for doing nothing wrong & the Survivors have an abuseable mechanic.

Just stop. Camping is fine. All these ideas are terrible attempts to force a biased playstyle on people and shoehorn in Survivor-sided mechanics to make the game easier for them.

• DemonDaddyDemonDaddy Member Posts: 1,424

Camping doesn't need a 3rd party punishment. Its up to the survivors to punish the killer, do genes or coordinate to make a safe unhook. Its not just the killer that factors into the outcome.

I have 133 hours in DBD. I've been tunneled and camped from the first second of a match.

I mean, to the point that the Killer actively ignored Survivors poking him in the chest. Literally. My friend prodded his chest with the 'Point' emote repeatedly and he just STARED at me.

Another person got caught in a bear trap? He just STARED at me.

I got unhooked when he went afk a moment, and when he returned, he ran past TWO Survivors to hunt me down.

I did not bring a single item into the match. I did not have meta perks. This guy just wanted me dead so badly. He rehooked me and resumed staring. His soulless eyes boring into mine.

Did I suddenly think camping was OP and needed a change? Did I complain how unfair it was?

NO!

It was ONE bloody match. The Killer decided to play My Little Stalker and turn me into a shrine for his tsundere love. I had a laugh and moved on. It happens.

Stop Asking For Biased Changes Just Because You Dislike A Legitimate Playstyle!

Anything you suggest will be abuseable. Stop.

• AzurlynxAzurlynx Member Posts: 172

I didn't say anything about terror radius. And what problem with giving unhook? Just go patrol gens or go back and smack em.

So basically 'Walk away & give them an unhook or they get a free unhook'.

If you can't see what's wrong with that idea, there's no point in trying to reason with you.