The 3.4.1 hotfix is rolling out on Steam and PS4, with Xbox and Windows Store following soon. For patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/110295/
The disconnect penalty test will take place sometime after the update is released on PC platforms and Switch™.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

What exactly is gen rush?

somewherenearsomewherenear Member Posts: 33
edited August 16 in General Discussions

4 survivors start the game and hop on 4 generators. The killer finds one and starts chasing that one. The other 3 do gens. Is this gen rushing? If so, why is it rushing? What should the other survivors be doing? Looking for chests? Sabotaging?

I am confused what Gen Rush means - what else should survivors do if not gens?

I'd like to hear from the perspective of killers - what do you expect other survivors to be doing? idling?

Comments

• CornpopersCornpopers Member Posts: 605

It really has no meaning, at least to me. The only thing that actually comes close to a real "gen rush" is when survivors literally don't care about doing anything other then gens.

• citroncitron Member Posts: 47
    edited August 16

With a toolbox a single person can do a gen in 53sec-1:10 seconds.

once you get up in rank where people don't run away like idiots when they hear the heartbeat 1-2 people on a gen and they can finish 1-2 before you can even loop the map.

things change with Nurse/Billy/spirit where they have [BAD WORD] map pressure compared to other killers.

With competent survivors gen rush is an issue, but it's the developers fault not the survivors, they are doing the objective.

oh and it's technically possible to do a gen with 4 people in 10 seconds (1 gen)

it's also technically possible to do a gen in ~16 seconds with 4 people (all gens)

• ClogWenchClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

It's a term killers use to pin the blame on survivors for getting gens done fast instead of blaming the devs for letting it become that much of q problem

• TR_stonezTR_stonez Member Posts: 39

Toxic gen rushers are people that bring things to speed up gens BNP, prove rhyself stuff like they i never considered it toxic because they are just doing their job and surviving

• Steve0333Steve0333 Member Posts: 286

"Genrushing" is usually the result of a killer tunneling one survivor which is the main reason why tunneling isn't a good strategy. You want to put pressure on all survivors, not just one. So if you are just following one survivor around the map you're going to have three survivors doing gens and getting them done fast.

But this is also why m1 killers are terrible because not only are you easy to loop but it's hard to put pressure on all the survivors. You pretty much have to give up chases quickly or hope you can down survivors really fast in order to be effective. This is why some people say that only nurse and spirit are viable killers since they can end chases quickly and travel quickly around the map putting pressure on all the survivors.

• wisdomwisdom Member Posts: 216

Gen rush is when the killer fails to apply pressure.

• xllxENIGMAxllxxllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 784

Lol gen rush exist because weapply no pressure on gens in a sense sometime it's true but, for experimented players you know you're all wrong play clown against gen rusher. YOU.WILL.LOSE

cutting a chase is also a lost because ok you will prevent the survivors to finish a gen but, the survivor you've stopped chasing we go on a generator. So it's like if you were on a solo game you were at the end then decide to restart the game again.

On stupid survivors cutting chase can work but optimal-experimented survivors will simply smash you. Secondary objective is needed for sure for all killers except nurse because she's perfect and that's probably why her add-ons needs to be reworked for sure.

• darkmarc0324darkmarc0324 Member Posts: 6

What Gen Rush means to me, as a killer, is that I've already lost :(

• yakul1nausicaayakul1nausicaa Member Posts: 46

Also, like most other killers i don't get mad at survivors being efficient, it's just a consequence of game mechanics.

• MrPeterPFLMrPeterPFL Member Posts: 132

There's nothing wrong with "Gen Rushing" If a killer is chasing A, it's expected for B, C and D to do gens.

• Warlock_2020Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,292

Look, up until the yellow, purple and red ranks there really is no reason to complain about gen rush. Map pressure is easy at those ranks, just don't get too focused on one survivor.

At those higher ranks is where it gets harder. Survivors loop better, they avoid better, and they focus on the gens more. This is why a cover all fix will not work. The majority of players are in the green ranks. Many are casual and nowhere near as skilled as higher rank players. Adding another objective to all ranks would make lower rank matches pure squash matches.

The key is to add rank rewards and increase difficulty by rank.

• switchswitch Member Posts: 390
    edited August 16

Adding rank rewards is a good thing, dificully by rank ? [BAD WORD] NO

I know personal individuals that would give up their entire progress in 2k hrs just to bully killer, when you have those kind of individuals in the game, do you think they're gonna rank up for what ? bloodpoints, or shards [BAD WORD] NO. they care to bully not to get rewards.

The key is to implement another objective, good players will adapt, bad players will still do gens.

• White_OwlWhite_Owl Member Posts: 1,895
    edited August 16

I think the real gen-rush is when survivors don't give a damn about anything beside gens: when you see all chests still closed, no totem cleansed and people don't heal you know you're facing real gen rushers. It's very rare to find teams playing this way though.

In other cases it's just an excuse used when killers play bad, or a strategy used when they are playing dirty (hard camping or tunneling someone).

• MegsAreEvilMegsAreEvil Member Posts: 819

Gen rushing doesnt exist. Its a killer legend to encourage themselfs, that theyre not just really bad at playing this game.

• WeederickWeederick Member Posts: 753

Genrush can be the result of one bad chase. But i usually call it a mindset. There is only one objective and if you ignore all the immersion and just "play the game", then survivors are most likely to win. The first chase has all the pallets, no spirit fury, no killer momentum. You an usually pump out 2-3 gens without a chance of counterplay. Then its a matter of mindset. If they want to win, they can win right there. They dont have to do totems, play stealthy or rush the hook. They are 3 people having to do 2 gens. Just do the gens and wins.

Its just playing optimally. But if you do, you win. Its just about the RNG of getting 4 genrushers at high ranks.