Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

So apparently looping is an exploit now?

......that's it I guess.

Just saw someone say this in another thread and I know I shouldn't take half the people on here seriously but...... huh?

What.... exactly should survivors be doing? Running straight lines from pallet to pallet, slamming them and moving on? That MAY keep you alive for 2-3 gens if you're lucky but then everyone who gets chased after that is dying in 30 seconds or less.

Are we really throwing around the word "exploit" for people who don't run in straight lines?

Comments

• ShyN3koShyN3ko Member Posts: 1,616

Yes and No.

Looping is fine, but on some Maps are rly broken spots.

And I have many games with Map Offerings and this people run exactly to this spot.

Just an Example:

On 1 corn map with the building in the middle.

There are some fences with 2-3 pallets.

Killer can hit over fences, but mindgames are impossible on them.

I could waste 2-4 min from the killer time on this special spots.

And thats rly easy, because mindgames are impossible on this spot.

• AcromioAcromio Member Posts: 1,737

Survivors can be totally blamed for its existence. They lobbied the devs for it and resisted every single time it had a whiff of nerf incoming. They are not neutral bystanders who can't be blamed for using whatever the game gives them to win, they had a hand in the game being steered in that direction. 

• Ghost_PotatoGhost_Potato Member Posts: 59

The devs even did the math on the hitbox looping and yes it is cheating but they still did nothing. I would just add drag to walls to fix it but meh it's their game to lose players to.

• RakimSockemRakimSockem Member Posts: 1,383

Care to back that up with some evidence or we just throwing out random claims now?

Also..... still wouldn't make it an "exploit"

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member Posts: 14,112

For real though, looping, like tractor/pallet tech is a game evolution and I’m excited to see what we discover in the future.

• malloymkmalloymk Member Posts: 1,067

Looping is not an exploit in most cases. Though I did have a game last night where the entity blocker never came up on the fractured cow shed window, making that an infinite. In that case I would consider than an exploit.

It was rather annoying.

• FishFry247FishFry247 Member Posts: 695

Honestly I can't believe that this is still even a thing, its not. this is coming from a killer main

• oxygenoxygen Member Posts: 2,612
    edited August 2019

It is, at least if we go by the definition of exploit that simply means to use something well and effectively for an advantage. Sorta like "exploiting the land for agriculture", it's not some inherently dirty word. It just so happens that the definition that specifically refers to (ab)using something for an explicitly unfair advantage is the one most adopted within gaming communities over the years.

If anything a "benign exploit" within gaming often goes falls under something else - emergent gameplay. While there's actions that fall right into the "unfair advantage" side of things like the Legion blades bug, Wake Up bug and others, there's also a lot of things in the game that are more comparable to stuff like rocket jumping or all the weird advanced movement mechanics in Super Smash Bros: Melee - things that started out as unintended quirks but were adopted, and in the case of rocket jumping HEAVILY adopted even by later titles in the genre and similar/inspired genres.

Considering a lot of people that consider looping an unfair exploit cite the hitbox differences as the root cause, wouldn't that be fairly simple to fix if the devs considered it explicitly undesirable behavior? The fact it's still a thing makes it seem more like it has been embraced as emergent gameplay if you ask me, just like moonwalking to hide the red stain is and dribbling old DS used to be.

• indieeden7indieeden7 Member Posts: 2,837
  • RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 2,363

You are (ab)using or exploiting the difference in collision sizes to gain an advantage in distance.

And some people here ridiculing this very definitive exploitation of game mechanics kinda proves the past sirvivor agenda.

The controversy part is why we're even having this discussion

• ShyN3koShyN3ko Member Posts: 1,616

I heard about it.

But survivors can loop this spots for ~1 min before dropping it.

And then they run to the next fence with pallet.

Some spots are just broken.

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 2,363
    edited August 2019

@Thaznar

I never stated i was a dev nor did I asume or know the devs stated it an "exploit" or not. All I did was stating the fact that looping is, by definition of exploits, an exploit

"In video games, an exploit is the use of a bug or glitches, game system, rates, hit boxes, speed or level design etc. by a player to their advantage in a manner not intended by the game's designers." Incase you or others didnt read my provided link, this is the first sentence of the article.

Now please tell me that looping isnt extending the chase duration by taking advantage of (synonym for "to exploit" btw) the difference in collision sizes around objects.

I am aware wikipedia isnt the most credible of sources to use but the article provided atleast includes the controversy of exploits being good or bad, the reasaon we're even discussing this.

"And while killers can still get looping survivors because theyre faster and have bloodlust, Bloodlust was given to killers because chases were taking too long, probably the reason being looping"

Im not actually too fond of continuing this discussion because it's obvious looping will not be adressed, either because its not an "exploit" or survivormain agenda

• Maelstrom10Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,915

Uh didn't the devs specifically increase the killer hitbox so that this could occur though? i believe they also talked about this and the balance of it in a dev stream ages ago, and how around the same circular or square loops they have to and do account for the distance lost by the killer. the killer has a larger hitbox yes, by design but they are also much faster by design to make up for the gained distance both from pallet blockages, window vaults and looping.

Looping isn't an exploit. things done to loop infinitely are, such as windows not being blocked by the entity, or theoretical infinite's being abused (ie like some of the old loops and how they had to take specific windows out because killers cannot catch up even with bloodlust or with window blockers simply because there's no route for the killer to take).

Simply running around the same pallet/object isn't an exploit if the killer refuses to break the pallet. as they will have to when the survivor eventually throws it down because no matter what, on every loop a killer is always going to be faster then a survivor.

I mean Badham is the perfect example of balanced looping. technically most pallets on there are unsafe, being both infinitely loop able, and easy downs, depending on how good the survivor/killer is at both mind games and how ballsy they want to be towards each other at getting/dodging strikes. yet all the "loops" can be broken, by the killer.

This has nothing to do with a "survivor main agenda" (if such a thing even exist).

You say looping wasn't intended by the devs. I doubt killers moonwalking to hide their stain was intended by the devs but it was something cool and useful that players found out they could do through playing the game.

I doubt 360'ing was an "intended mechanic" of the devs. It was just something players found out they could do.

I doubt slugging was an "intended mechanic" of the game but people figured out they could do it.

The idea that the devs would've had to thought of everything beforehand and intended it to be that way for something not to be an exploit is ridiculous

Also, exploits are typically things that need to be addressed/removed from a game. If you're suggesting removing looping, what do you want survivors to do exactly?

• Unnamed_FreakUnnamed_Freak Member Posts: 570

Infinites are exploits, like Balanced Landing on the Strode house. That's it.

I'm glad there are still rational people (survivor or killer mains) on the forums to have discussions with because I think the extremist on both sides come out the blue with absurd claims, and some of us who are survivor mains think "oh ALL killer mains think/play like this" and likewise some killer mains think "all survivor mains think/play like that".

In reality, most of us are rational middle ground people who understand these extreme/ridiculous opinions are only held by a select few.

• KillermainBTWm8KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,210

Again using your definition you create a situation where anything can be defined as an exploit.

• woundcowboywoundcowboy Member Posts: 1,038

Looping is annoying but it’s not an exploit, just poor design/RNG.