The 3.6.0 PTB is now live on Steam! For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/130916/
We are aware and looking into the issue which caused players to have their rank reset further than intended. If your rank was not reset at all this month, this is a visual bug and closing and re-opening the game should fix it.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

How to play: The Huntress

YaiPaYaiPa Member Posts: 1,110
edited September 2019 in Guides

Basic Knowledge:

The Huntress is slower than usual killers, she sings a lullaby that survivors hear throughout the entire match, being informed if she is nearby, gaining time to hide from her. Yet, these minor weak points are mitigated by her immense power, Hunting Hatchets.

The power itself:

It is very simple to explain how hatchets work: they are a ranged attack. Hold your M2 (L2 on Ps4 or LT on Xbox One) to bring up your hatchet and release to throw it. Holding the hatchet for few seconds will max the throwing speed (you will be notified by a sound cue). When you bring up an hatchet your movement speed will be decreased. You have a limited amount of hatchets that can be reloaded whenever you want by opening a locker.

beginner build:

I highly suggest you to try this build when you approach to The Huntress for the first time, it's made with generic perks and Huntress specific, so you won't need to level up any other killer in order to use it:

It consist of Whispers and Bitter Murmur to easily find survivors, Hex: Huntress Lullaby to slow down the generators progression and Sloppy Butcher to increase the healing time.

Advanced build:

This is the build I run on Huntress, the first three perks are a must in my opinion, while the fourth one is up to you, you can change it based on the match:

Barbeque & Chilli is very helpful to find distant survivors and trying satisfying long-shots, A Nurse's Calling helps you finding healing survivors and Hex: Ruin slows the game immensively. As I said before the last perk can be changed, I use Monitor & Abuse to catch survivor off guard, but I replace it with LightBorn when I see flashlights in my lobby or Whispers to find survivor easily. Have fun trying some perks!

The Add-ons:

It's very comprehensible that the first matches you'll play you will miss some of your shots, that's why I suggest you to run two possible add-ons combinations.

The double haft combo:

that allows you to be able to attack faster after throwing an hatchet, decreasing the window the survivors have to react.

And the Leather Loop and Infantry Belt add-ons:

thanks to these add-ons, you'll be able to carry up to 3 more hatchets, saving you from some hatchets miss.

Once you're pretty confident with your aim ability you can use debuff add-ons, to hinder survivor heavily after landing a good shot. My favorite combination is the Berus Toxin to give Exhaustion to the survivors and the Yawn Seed Concoction to slow survivors after the hit.

You could also try the instant hatchet throw combo, consist of Flower Babushka and Manna Grass Braid add-ons, though I'd recommend you to use it only when you have mastered your aim, because to use this combo's full potential you need to be quick and reactive with your shots:

Easy Hatchets shots:

Before you can land complicated shots, you need to start from the basics:

The Pallet Drop Shot:

When you're chasing a survivor you will often encounter pallets. You can easily land a shot on survivors when they are dropping a pallet, here's a GIF I've made to show you:

Example: https://imgur.com/a/vL6jm0C

Remember to slightly move backwards to avoid the pallet stun.

The Window Vault Shot:

Similar to the first shot I described, you can land another easy hatchet hit on survivors when they are vaulting a window, just aim at the window and throw the hatchet.

Example: https://imgur.com/a/2MhILlx

How to improve your aim:

The Huntress is one of the hardest killer to master and a good aim is essential to be deadly with her. The hatchets direction is roughly in the center of the screen and remember that held hatchets travel faster and are harder to avoid. To improve your aim I suggest you to exercise on still targets, and what's better than a hooked survivor for this role? Remember though that Dead By Daylight is a game where time is a tyrant, so I suggest you to practice this way, only when the game is already finished, as the last survivors are being sacrificed, otherwise you'll only lose time and waste hatchets.

After you exercised with your conveniently hooked survivors and the easy shots I wrote above, you're ready for some freestyle, get creative with your power, muscle memory and predict are highly suggested, here some GIFs that may help you understand what I mean:

Muscle Memory Example: https://imgur.com/a/dISEAmP

Muscle Memory Example 2: https://imgur.com/a/v935ppu

Predict Example: https://imgur.com/a/SKd1cSP

Conclusion:

I hope this guide has been useful, I really had fun writing it, since, as you can easily tell by my profile pic, Huntress is my favorite killer. She's one of the hardest, yet most satisfying killers to play, have fun!

Post edited by YaiPa on

Comments

• YaiPaYaiPa Member Posts: 1,110

To everybody who reads, if you can help me to post a gif (or tell me if you can see it), thanks very much.

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 5,991

I can tell you I can't see the gifs (on Chrome or Firefox) but I couldn't say how to embed them properly.

• Raven014Raven014 Member Posts: 2,611

An addition I'd make is about some of the rarer addons (Iridescent Head and Infantry belt combo is very powerful), and perk/addon combos (Deerskin Gloves and Iron Maiden, for instance, both decrease reload time and stack).

• fucklegionfucklegion Member Posts: 1

You should also post the button to press for Xbox as well as there is a lot of dbd players on there too

I've deliberately not mention it because i think you'll never understand the killer if you use it's best load out right off the bat, but if you think I should add it, tell me.

Added, thanks for the feedback.

• Raven014Raven014 Member Posts: 2,611

I never said to recommend it for beginners, but just let them know it exists. This is a guide to the huntress as a whole. The more knowledge they have, the better for them.

And explaining perk some perk combinations, such as Leather Gloves and Iron Maiden, show the possibilities, and encourage experimentation to see what works and what doesn't. You say that nurses' shows survivors, which is true, but you don't tell them that healing survivors have a larger hitbox than normal, allowing for surprise hatchet shots.

You also do not explain that hatchet hitboxes can be unreliable at certain loops, since invisible walls still exist.

I also would not advise practicing on stationary targets. It's wasting your game time as well as wasting hatchets, which take time to reload.

I'd love to tell beginners about hitboxes unreliability, but I'd think it would discourage them from playing huntress, tho I have some gifs about this kinda of stuff, so I will add it. For instance, you'll never see a pallet drop shot in red ranks, tho it's great in your first matches. Onto, the stationary targets practice, I expressed myself wrong, I thought it was obvious to do it as the last survivors were being sacrificed (in fact I thought of adding a gif of me doing it), but I understood that if I'm referring to beginners, it's better to be as clear as possible. I'm editing the OP.

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 5,991
    edited September 2019

While it is important for guides to be comprehensive, it's also worth remembering that there needs to be a balance when teaching anything. If you let them know about the existence of too many mechanics, it can just feel overwhelming and inaccessible. The more knowledge a new player has, the better, but it doesn't necessarily follow that the more knowledge they are given all at once, the better.

A lot of the information you recommend adding to the guide is useful but not strictly necessary, and too much of it could do more harm than good since it disguises the actual key points which are basic and necessary knowledge, like the fact that hatchets are limited and need to be refilled, for example. Not saying it's useless at all, I just see a lot of people assuming that the best guides are the ones that contain all the information available which is not necessarily the case from a learner's perspective.