Are you ready to see the Cursed Legacy trailer?
UPDATE: Upon further investigation, we are happy to say that no members of the Dead by Daylight forums had their data compromised in the breach over the past weekend. All passwords have been reset as a precautionary measure, please be sure to update your password as soon as possible using the password reset button.

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused!
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Better Dying Light Suggestion

Dying Light

You become Obsessed with one survivor at the start of the match. The further away survivors are from the Obsession, the worse they perform. For each increment of 10/9/8 meters outside of a 16 meter radius of the Obsession, survivors will receive a stacking penalty of 5% on all action speeds up to a maximum of 35%. Your obsession performs actions 18% faster when no survivors are within 24 meters.

Comments

• HatCreatureHatCreature Member Posts: 3,109

It's like a Killer version of Leader, I like the idea.

The version we have has its flaws but it can be fixed by taking away the healing speed from the Obsession and giving us tokens for hooking the Obsession.

I would still love to see your idea in a perk though that's a really cool ability, it makes the Survivors dependent on the Obsession. The values would have to be changed but it would be really good with Knockout and Pig's traps with a Blindness add-on.

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 4,122

What happens if someone just stays with the Obsession? You can't just leave them alone forever.

• Kind_LemonKind_Lemon Member Posts: 619

It's not a fair feeling when playing against it as a survivor. In the game, a survivor should feel worried, panicked, or safe. Also that feeling of "Oh ****" A feeling of unfairness should (almost) never come into play.

The new dying light doesn't depend on something a survivor doing the objective can control even if he or she leaves the objective. Unlike Devour Hope, when a survivor can just choose not to unhook the dying survivor in order to avoid mori's, Dying Light has no other option (not even a worse-off-for-survivors option) to counter it.

My dying light gives incredible power to the survivors over the course of their gameplay while still giving a great advantage to the killer. Survivors working together are easier to interrupt as a killer, but working alone for a survivor is harder. The obsession wants to be away from other survivors, but the other survivors want to be near the Obsession. There is a terrific back and forth dynamic that is part of the core idea behind DbD (in theory).

HatCreature, first of all, thank you for your comment, and second of all, I disagree with your position on the PTB Dying Light. As I stated above, the issue with the Dying Light in the PTB is that it provides no option for survivors other than to just take the penalty whenever it happens. It does, however, encourage unhealthy gameplay from survivors by giving incentive for Obsessions to kill themselves on hooks among other things.

Just making the perk better for the killer to use doesn't take into consideration the survivor side of things. It doesn't matter if it is actually fair for the survivor (because it really shouldn't be for an individual survivor); it only matters how the survivor feels. Same goes for killer balancing.

• VolfawottVolfawott Member Posts: 2,048

The live version is really scummy as it means that the obsession is either going to be tunneled or insta moried off hook but you honestly can't really blame the killer as if they leave it for too long even if dying light goes off it's pretty pointless.

It was bad as a survivor because it was very oppressive and force you to have a bad experience and it was bad for Killers because it forced you to get it over with extremely quickly or it would be useless.

Ptb version is no better simply change the problem but there's still a problem. As a killer by the time you fully stack your perk it's only going to be mid to endgame oh you're dominating so much that there's not really any point in the perk being there.

At which case you might as well just have thanatophobia especially if you're playing Legion or plague as you could proc it a lot more efficiently and a lot more consistently in the early to mid game where are you have the least momentum as a killer and a speed of the survivors can be detrimental.

As for The Obsession they get a massive boost with absolutely no downsides whatsoever. Before the altruism speed for The Obsession made sense the Obsession was the one who is in the most danger as the killer was gunning for them.

Now The Obsession is the safest person in the game as a killer I don't want to kill them because I want to gain and maintain my stacks which already makes them safe if but they still get the altruism boost on top of that. Not only that but don't want person I'm avoiding killing is the one person who's not affected by the penalty

It seems like they just try to add a combination of Save The Best For Last and remember me to effects to dying light which doesn't work.

• DemonDaddyDemonDaddy Member Posts: 1,486
    edited September 6

I don't see a real reason for the ptb obsession to be penalty immune, lowest priority (for perks sake), and gain a healing buff to top it off. I would honestly be happy to be the obsession under these conditions, even more so if I didn't have to use an obsession perk.

• NoxeriasNoxerias Member Posts: 69
    edited September 6

A simple change that I would recomend is have both the killer and obsessed survivor start off at 0, but as the Dying Light grows in power for the killer, it does the same for the obsessed survivor.

If the Obsession kills themselves to save their team then they're an idiot because they screwed their team. That is not counter-play that is lack of intelligence and should be shamed and laughed at.

But if you really feel your version should replace it then I will critique it.

Your version makes it where Survivors are better off working together, with the Obsession, with the Dwight because this is the Killer version of Leader. Now not all Survivors have awareness of their friends, where is the Obsession? Why should they be punished and encouraged to work together? That doesn't feel good to be forced to work as a team and that Obsession isn't going to be happy when he can't avoid his team because they won't stop following him and making his actions slower, damned if you do and damned if you don't. Your version would encourage the Obsession to let themselves die because the perk isn't fair for them because the team is obsessed with making his life miserable.

The complaints I've made with your perk are the same things you're complaining about, Survivor feelings. I don't care about Survivor feelings even though I also play Survivor but I see the problems that come with ignoring them.

The PTB version makes everyone get a debuff, just like Thana except they can't get rid of it. If the Obsession never gets hooked then they can't do anything about it, I can see how that sucks. The OG Dying Light got Survivors to keep their friend alive but now they just want him dead and because this perk is still weak everyone will pair it with Thana and yeah this does not feel good. So yeah when it comes to fairness and the strength of both versions it does suck.

MY VERSION---I made my own version the Devs never saw.

When the Obsession is injured all Survivors receive a 10% debuff to all actions, when the Obsession is on a hook it is increased to 15%, if the Obsession is killed it is permanently increased to 25%.

My version is not perfect but killing your Obsession by tunneling wasn't necessary to get an amazing effect. If the Obsession was unhooked it would go down to 10% if they were healed it would go away and everyone would want to keep their buddy alive, his injuries and death lead them to ruin because was a beacon of light for them and if he died they would suffer.

• ToybasherToybasher Member Posts: 108

Your version still would lead to extreme tunneling.

It's true the penalty for hitting and hooking means it's less "All or nothing" (Current Dying Light on live does NOTHING for the killer until the obsession is out of the match) but most players will still bring a Mori and try to get the obsession dead asap.

I wouldn't say ''extreme'' tunneling but yeah the tunneling is there but at least Killers have breathing room where they don't have to. I know it isn't perfect, this particular effect is hard to change without completely changing it or breaking it.

• Kind_LemonKind_Lemon Member Posts: 619

I can get behind what you suggested as your version. Preferably anything but what's in the PTB. Additionally, it would be great if the notification of the perk was reverted so that the Obsession wasn't notified of Dying Light before he/she began an altruistic action.