Nintendo Switch™ players: Instability issues prevented us from releasing the mid-chapter update and The Archives. Good news! We are working towards launching the update sometime next week.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

The Basics, & A Survival Guide For DBD

su11yboysu11yboy Member Posts: 17
edited September 10 in Guides

Welcome to Dead By DaylighT!

Welcome to the Fog! Dead by Daylight is an asymmetric survival horror game developed by Behaviour Interactive, where 1 Player plays the position of a Killer, and 4 Players play the positions of Survivors. In this Tutorial I'll be explaining the Basics of DBD, and giving you the majority of what you'll need to know to play Survivor! I might recommend re-reading the tutorial as there will be things explained throughout the entire tutorial, and it might be a bit a clearer once you have all the definitions understood. Either way, I hope this helps!

A Good Start

A good place to start would be with the in-game Tutorials, located in the section of the Main Menu labeled, Help & Tutorials. Next, I want to go over the three different in-game currencies, and what you can do with them:

• Bloodpoints
  • Iridescent Shards
  • Auric Cells

Bloodpoints are earned from doing just about anything when in a match, and have a cap at 1,000,000 (I have 374,891). You can spend Bloodpoints on a characters Bloodweb, where you can get Perks, Items, Addons, and Offerings for that Character's Inventory. Perks give your character special abilities that make it easier to survive. I'll talk about which Perks to get a little later. Items are things you can bring into Matches to help you escape, and Addons improve the Item you bring. Offerings mostly give you extra Bloodpoints for the next match. Iridescent Shards are earned from increasing your Player Level (mine is 40), and they have no cap (I have 5,670). They can be spent to buy non-licensed characters, some cosmetics, and in a special section of the Store called the Shrine of Secrets. The Shrine lets you get up to 4 Teachable Perks (I'll explain) that you don't have already, and it refreshes weekly. Finally, Auric Cells cannot be earned, and can only be purchased using real money (I have 550). They have no cap, and can be used to buy any character, and any cosmetic. The new Stranger Things DLC will cost Auric Cells to play the characters in it.

Perks.

There are 71 different Survivor Perks in the game right now. 14 of them are considered Universal Perks, and can be obtained on any Survivor. However every Survivor has 3 Perks exclusive to them, called Teachables. Once you reach a certain level on your Character (30, 35, and 40), from leveling up their Bloodweb, you can purchase their teachables so that they can show up on any Survivor's Bloodweb. Some perks are really good, some are total trash, and some are helpful for learning. I'm going to make a couple lists of Perks that you might want to check out. To keep this shorter, I'm not going to describe the Perks, just check them on your game when you get the chance. First I'm going to give a list of Helpful Beginners Perks:

• Windows of Opportunity* (Teachable from Kate Denson/Lvl 30)
  • Fixated* (Teachable from Nancy Wheeler/Lvl 35)
  • Deja vu (Universal Perk)
  • Technician (Teachable from Feng Min/Lvl 30)

*These Perks are very good for beginners, and are also very good perks in general even at high level of play, although there might be better perks you could be running, these are still pretty high tier perks. Picture features Windows of Opportunity as it is the best perk for Beginners.

There's also a Perk I want to mention, that helps cut the grind down by giving you extra Bloodpoints every match, however that's all it does:

• We're Gonna Live Forever (Teachable from David King/Lvl 30)

Next, is a list of some of the strongest perks in the game, definitely the meta right now:

• Adrenaline (Teachable from Meg Thomas/Lvl 40)
  • Decisive Strike (Teachable from Laurie Strode/Lvl 40)
  • Borrowed Time (Teachable from William "Bill" Overbeck/Lvl 35)
  • Unbreakable (Teachable from William "Bill" Overbeck/Lvl 40)
  • Inner Strength (Teachable from Nancy Wheeler/Lvl 40)

*Picture includes first four in order. Inner Strength is not included.

Another list of perks I want to make are Exhaustion perks. Exhaustion perks all require some sort of action that provides distance between you and the Killer. They are some of the strongest perks in the game, and ultimately the one you'll like will depend on your playstyle:

• Sprint Burst (Teachable from Meg Thomas/Lvl 35)
  • Lithe (Teachable from Feng Min/Lvl 35)
  • Balanced Landing (Teachable from Nea Karlsson/Lvl 30)
  • Dead Hard* (Teachable from David King/Lvl 35)
  • Head On (Teachable from Jane Romero/Lvl 40)

*Dead Hard is either the best, or the worst exhaustion perk in the game depending on how you use it. It is used to reach places you wouldn't have reached otherwise without getting hit. It is considerably harder to use over the others, and I wouldn't recommend it as a starting perk. Dead Hard is also not included in the above picture.

Finally there's a perk I think worth mentioning, that is heavily debated as a really good perk, and a useless perk that wastes time:

• Self Care (Teachable from Claudette Morel/Lvl 40)

Self Care allows Survivors the ability to self-heal themselves, however it's at half the speed of a normal heal. The problem with it is a lot of good survivors can function just fine with being injured for awhile, and then finding a Med-Kit or another Survivor to heal when they want. It also makes users afraid to do things injured, and makes them prioritize healing over pretty much everything. If you do decide to use it, be aware of what's happening, and make sure your team isn't getting slaughtered while you slowly heal yourself.

Know What the killer Sees.

First off, Survivors should know a few things about what they cause Killers to see. The Killers POV is 1st Person, while Survivors are 3rd Person. So you should know you will usually see them well before they see you. When a Survivor runs, they leave something called Scratch Marks. Only the Killer can see them (unless you use Fixated), and they use them to track Survivors. Also know that Killers have Ears. Killers can hear when Survivors are injured, and especially good Killer players will wear headsets and hear almost everything including, Survivor breathing, and rustling in the grass. Also know when you miss a Skill Check, or make a fast vault it will alert the Killer of your location. Skill Checks are something you'll have to practice as they show up randomly during Generator Repairs, and Healing. It's also good to know that, unlike Survivors all Killers have a special ability that is unique to them, so you'll also have to adapt and have different strategies going against all 17 Killers. You also need to know that Killers emit a Red Glow in front of them, and a Heartbeat or Terror Radius for a certain distance around them which will alert you when they're coming. However there are perks that hide, there Terror Radius, and there are tricks Killers will use with their Red Glow to confuse you so keep on your toes!

Health States.

There are multiple Health States that Survivors will have throughout the match. When the Survivor starts the match, and hasn't been hit by the Killer, they are Healthy. When a Survivor is hit by a Killers basic attack after being Healthy, they will become Injured, and get a brief speed boost, while the Killer is on a brief cool down. When Injured, Survivors make more noise, and leave blood trails making them easier to track and more vulnerable. If the Killer hits a Survivor again while they're Injured they go into the Dying State. There are also a couple instances where Survivors will go from Healthy to the Dying State:

• If you get hit by a Chainsaw (currently two Killers have Chainsaws)
  • If you are effected by the Exposed Status Effect

The Exposed Status Effect is never permanent it only lasts a set amount of time, and is caused by a part of the Killer's power, for specific Killer's or a Killer's Perk. There are more Health States, but these are some of the more basic ones for learning the Basics of Survivor.

The Objective.

The Objective for the Survivors is to complete 5 of the 7 Generators in the map. Each Gen takes a bit of time to complete, and depending on the position of the Gen multiple Survivors can work on it, but its worth noting that its actually less efficient for two Survivors to work on one Gen then work on another then if they worked on separate Gens, (this applies for 3 Survivors, and 4 Survivors) so keep that in mind.

Once 5 Gens are done the 2 Exits in the map become active and a Survivor has to open the door for them to escape. Opening the Exit will activate the Endgame Collapse (EGC).

The EGC is shown by an orange bar at the top of the screen, that decreases over time, showing a limited amount of time. If any Survivor is downed (put into the Dying State), or Hooked then the timer will turn gray and begin decreasing a bit slower. Once the timer ends any remaining Survivors are automatically Sacrificed. You have to play smart during EGC to save as many people as you can, and sometimes you'll have to cut your losses, and leave people.

The Hatch

Now what if your team was unable to do all 5 Generators? Don't lose hope, because there is a second chance to escape. When there is 1 Survivor remaining, a trapdoor in the ground will spawn (if it hasn't already), and open for the last Survivor to escape through. However if the Killer finds it first they have the option to close the Hatch, which automatically activates both Exits, and starts the EGC. The last Survivor has a limited amount of time to go unnoticed and get one of the Exits open, and escape. It's also good to know the Hatch spawns (doesn't open, just spawns), when there is the number of Survivors left +1 Generators done, (Ex: 2 Survivors left = 3+ Gens done Hatch spawns) so keep that in mind, when a game is going downhill.

Totems

Totems are a(n almost) Secondary-Objective in the Game. Every match 5 Totems will spawn in, anywhere on the map. If Survivors find them they might want to break them, and I'll get into why. Certain Totems will light up with a flame under them.

These are called Hex Totems, and what this means is the Killer has a Perk that gives them a powerful ability that is linked to the lit up Totem. However breaking the Hex Totem will remove the ability permanently from the match. There's also a reason to break non-lit Totems, or Dull Totems. There's another Hex Perk called, Hex: No One Escapes Death (aka NOED), and it is very unique from other Hex Perks.

NOED gives the Killer a 2/3/4% Speed Buff as well as the Exposed Status on all Survivors. This is probably one of the most powerful effects in the game, however it only activates when all the Gens are done, or the Hatch is closed, for which it'll turn a random Totem into a Hex Totem. But, if you break all 5 Totems, it'll have no Totem that it can occupy and therefore it cannot activate. If you're unable to break all 5 Totems, then you'll have to find the Dull Totem that it occupies like all other Hex Perks, however this is much more unreliable then just breaking all 5 Totems, but that also takes a lot of time, so you'll to pick and choose when you want to go Totem hunting or not.

Hooks & Altruism

When the Killer downs you as a Survivor, typically they will take you to one of the Hooks in the map and...put you on it, in an attempt to sacrifice you to the Entity. The Entity is a malevolent being that the Killers are trying to "Please" by sacrificing Survivors. Survivors can be Hooked up to 3 times, as there are 3 stages:

• 1st Hook - Attempt Phase
  • 2nd Hook - Struggle Phase
  • 3rd Hook - Sacrifice Phase

The Attempt Phase as I'm calling it, is when you're Hooked for the first time. During this phase you slowly progress to the next phase, and you want to get off the Hook before you reach the next phase, and get closer to being sacrificed. Survivors can come and rescue you off the Hook, but that's not your only option. You also get to attempt 3 times, to get off the hook yourself, although I wouldn't recommend it. Even with Perks & Offerings that boost your luck, your chances of getting off by yourself are still very bad (unless you use a Perk called Deliverance, Teachable from Adam Francis/Lvl 35), and trying to get yourself off yourself will make you reach second stage quicker, so I wouldn't recommend Attempting unless it's your only option.

Next, is the Struggle Phase. When you're hooked for the second time, or after being on the hook for too long, you will enter this phase. During this phase you can still be rescued by other Survivors, however you've lost the ability to try to Attempt to escape. Now the Entity is trying to take you so you have to struggle to stay alive by spamming the designated button while you wait to be saved. If Survivors take too long you will reach the last phase.

Finally, is the Sacrifice Phase. When you're hooked for the third time, or being left on the hook for too long, you will enter this phase. During this phase you cannot be saved, you cannot attempt to escape, and sadly you're dead. Once you're hooked a third time you will have been successfully sacrificed.

Going for unhooks is very important, and it's something newer players are generally afraid to do, because the hooked person is where the Killer was, and might still be. You must go for saves, because once one Survivor is dead it becomes tremendously harder for the remaining Survivors to do the remaining Generators. Doing everything you can to keep 4 Survivors alive for as long as possible could be the difference between everyone escaping and one person escaping.

Healing is a crucial part of the game as well, however you have to know that sometimes a Generator is more important then you getting healed, and committing to a Gen might be the right move. When unhooking someone the best move is to heal right then and there. Don't run off somewhere. Remember the Killer will see the Scratch Marks, and they move faster then you. If you think they'll come back then just don't go for the heal and run away/or hide. Take the aggro so the injured person can get away.

It's also worth mentioning, as a form of pressure Killer's will sometimes leave Survivors down on the ground in the dying state. This is called Slugging. Survivors in the Dying State can be healed just like Survivors in the Injured State, but they can also Recover on their own, but unless they have the Perk Unbreakable or No Mither (No Mither Sucks) then they will not be able to to Recover to full, and they'll need help being picked up and brought to the Injured State.

How to Not Die.

There are two general playstyles when it comes to playing DBD:

• Aggressive Playstyle
  • Immersive Playstyle

Playing purely aggressive will probably get you killed early on, and playing purely immersive will cause the rest of your team to die off, and result in you getting One-Hooked, or being the sole survivor in most cases. There are times and places for each playstyle, and ideally you want to be using a balanced combination of both. In this section I will teach you how to Loop and why it works.

Looping is when the Survivor runs around an object to waste the Killer's time, and potentially lose them in the process. The way it works is that Survivors have a smaller hitbox then the Killers do. So Survivors have the potential to hug closer to objects and walls more then Killers can, making them take shorter routes, causing the Killer to gain distance slower, then if you just ran in a straight line. So where do you want to loop ideally? The answer is around objects in the map called Pallets.

Pallets are objects that Survivors can throw down to block Killers from hitting them. Survivors can vault back over the Pallet while Killers usually can only break the pallet, removing it permanently from the match. If Survivors time when to drop the Pallet they can also stun the Killer for a couple seconds, however you shouldn't just wait at a Pallet just to stun them. Looping wastes way more time, and if you get hit you can leave the Pallet, to loop later in the match. Never throw down the Pallet right after you get injured and you're in the middle of the Speed Boost from getting hit. This is called Wasting the Pallet, as you just got rid of a loop and, made it so you aren't as far from the Killer, then if you fully utilized the Speed Boost.

Another thing Survivors can use are Windows, or Vaults. Windows are also quite powerful but a bit different then Pallets:

• Killers can also vault windows, although it's a lot slower then Survivors.
  • Survivors can only vault a window 3 times in a chase before it becomes blocked off, and unusable for awhile.
  • There are two different types of fast vaults for Windows: Fast Vaults & Medium Vaults. Fast vaults are sometimes harder, but they make you hitbox move faster and harder to hit through the window.

There are many loops in this game with VERY strong windows, that don't even need Pallets, and they are very abusable. There are also loops with a Pallet and a Window, and once you get used to them, you can loop the Window all 3 times, before using the Pallet.

You also want to keep your eyes on the Killer for as much as possible, because if you lose sight of the Killer they will try to Mindgame you. Good Killers won't just mindlessly follow you. They'll take advantage of lack of sight and game mechanics to confuse you and make you think they are going a different way, or are someplace else. An example of that is Moonwalking. The reason this works is because at loops that are tall, Survivors can't see the Killer and are only relying on the Killer's Red Glow to determine where they're coming from. But when a Killer moonwalks the Survivor won't see their Red Glow until it's too late, so you have to put yourself in good positions to react and be able to read when you think a Killer might be trying to make a play on you.

If you want tips for stealth...well there are a lot of perks that'll help you be more stealthy, including faster crouch speed, perks that make you quieter, and perks that give you alerts on what the Killer is doing, or if they're coming in your direction, so using combos of those could help you sneak away. One tip I can give you is be careful going into lockers, because if the Killer guesses right that you're in there then you will immediately be grabbed and put on their shoulder to be hooked, so it can very risky, over a chase where you could've wasted a lot more time.

FInally.

Thank you so much for reading my tutorial! I hope you learned a lot, and that this helped you for learning Survivor. The majority of the Screenshots are from two different matches (there's a couple others from my YouTube). I will also mention, this was created before the 3.2.0 Update with the Stranger Things DLC so some things might be a bit outdated, but this is pretty general so it should mostly be pretty accurate. I hope you enjoyed, and hope to see you in the Fog!

Post edited by su11yboy on