We are aware of an issue where the Trapper's Ornate Mask is not appearing in your items - there is no need to contact Support for this matter, we will hopefully have a resolution to this shortly.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, the Withering Blight event is postponed until the release of the mid-chapter 3.3.0. We're working on getting the update ready as soon as possible and will keep you posted.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Proof that you don’t need ruin

Comments

• BleedissBleediss Member Posts: 43

Yeah, my friend told me I absolutely need it to compete with killer at higher ranks, but I've seen multiple streamers who don't run Ruin and perform well because they're extremely good at understanding the fundamentals of playing killer.

I don't think the perk is garbage or anything, though, just that it's a gamble perk and this isn't really my idea of an enjoyable gamble perk, something like that would go to Devour Hope.

• The_ManletThe_Manlet Member Posts: 474

Devour Hope is a true gamble, and one which won't pay off the vast majority of the time unless you're already playing a top tier killer. Ruin isn't that much of a gamble, as you expect it to be destroyed. You're just betting that it will last a couple minutes and give you a hook or two without 4 generators popping in that time and then everyone escaping with Adrenaline, Borrowed Time and Decisive Strike.

• XbonedXboned Member Posts: 443

I've never heard the term "gamble perk" before but I like it, that's exactly what Hex is. I never know what kind of result I'm going to get from that totem.

Maybe I should consider Corrupt Intervention if I'm looking for an early game slow, specifically. Looking forward to the BP bonus event.

• KenshinKenshin Member Posts: 580

the videos only proof one thing: the survivor are terrible. like most that tru3 goes against. they dont know how to loop, how to path and dont even do gens.

• jordirexjordirex Member Posts: 153

It's the top 1 meta perk. It is needed. I've played almost two years without it on My Huntress. I've started to use it some time ago and it's more relaxing for sure.

• GrootDudeGrootDude Member, Trusted Posts: 10,739
  • Mister_HoldoutMister_Holdout Member Posts: 1,177

And yet the vast majority of veteran killers on PC use Ruin lol.

Here's the thing: Ruin is still a meta perk for most killers playing in red ranks. Without Ruin, you leave yourself open to even more gen rushing.

People like to point that Ruin is largely negated by good survivors, and that is true to some extent. But even still, Ruin can save you valuable time (depending on the totem placement). I think a lot of experienced killers recognize how important the slowdown effect is.

Can you play without Ruin and still do reasonably well? Yes.

Can you play without Ruin against veteran survivors and do reasonably well? Probably no. Having Ruin won't necessarily save you, but it will increase your odds.

• Swiftblade131Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 1,218

Couple no life hours clearly speaks to people with only a couple hours

Corrupt Intervention is honestly one of the best options for playing it safe when you want something to stall the game, although some killers prefer a different stall perk because they can down people easily and get perks like PGTW/Surge going.

Top 1 meta perk on survivor side and very useful, yes.

Against high end players both of them are needed. The examples on the video were a bunch of rank 20's. You play against me without ruin... you better be a nurse, a spirit or a Huntress of my lvl.

I feel like everyone is running Inner Strength instead now.

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 3,691

I think I’ve used Ruin less than 8 times in my entire DBD gaming life. It’s pure rubbish.

It very much still is.

Nah, deciding to not heal and use adrenaline is much more effective.

I wish this is what my teammates did, or adrenaline would be better.

I hope you aren’t implying that I have low hours, believe me, I’m a no life.

This comment shows exactly how things are, here is your answer OP.

edited September 25

Majority of console killers use it too, usually gets cleansed before anyone gets found or as soon as a chase starts. Guess self-care is a god tier perk that survivors need to live.

You know I really wanted to like Self-Care, but the time spent to heal myself I can't get over when I'm thinking about how I could be doing a generator instead and there are several other perks to compliment that decision.

edited September 25

Again, you can no heal if you are free to do gens without pression or you don't care about pression because you're facing a m1 killer. I do that constantly.

Anyway there are plenty of situations on you need self care. I'm completely sure your survavility rate is higher with it than without it.

I've tried everything on this game, I know how it is without self care and ruin, I can perform perfectly well still, but I know having those 2 perks actually improve and boost your behaviour. Simply as that.

Btw I never use Adrenaline, I don't like the perk.

My build as surv is obj of obssesion, self care, dead hard and ds.

I think you don't have enough experience, mostly against good players. And this is why you say this and use video examples of average bad players.

• CymerCymer Member Posts: 809

I don't understand the hype around new Dying Light. The perk protects and buff the Obsession and only comes to effect mid to late game.

If you manage to hold your own until mid/late game you don't need Ruin or Dying Light, you should be able to close the game anyway.

Ruin, Corrupt Intervention are popular because they can stall you the early game and buy you time to setup your game plan for mid and late game.

New Dying Light, in my opinion, is only good for a 3 gen strat.

• woundcowboywoundcowboy Member Posts: 137
    edited September 25

Ruin is required at high ranks to do consistently well, imo. Unless the group is terrible, it will always go down in 2-3 minutes. As others have said, those first few minutes of the game are crucial and pretty much decide the match, so getting 1-2 hooks before it goes down can massively swing the game in your favor.

As a side note, I am a Nurse main. Even when I am downing people in 15-20 seconds, gens fly by. People who say gen times are fine don’t know what they are talking about. I’m not saying I have a solution, but something should be done.

• MarcurieMarcurie Member Posts: 74

It definitely helps up to and around rank 10 unless it's SWF. When I do SWF, I'll volunteer a perk like Small Game to help the team. In public games, I usually go for a perk that allows more survival or blood point bonuses. I play 45-50+ hours a week (until recently) and at first when I got Ruin it didn't seem to help much.

After a few other perks and a lot of game experience it became nearly invaluable. The only perk I'll take over Ruin for slowing the game down is Corrupt Intervention. If I have a particular build w/ tracking focused or combined w/ add-ons or abilities of certain killers, I'll use other perks for slowing it down throughout the entire game. Perks such as Pop Goes the Weasel or even Overcharge. The issue is whether or not the way I'm going to play, and the build I'm going to use, will afford me time to actually break generators, etc.

If I don't have time or am tired of chasing generators, then perks such as Ruin become very valuable to me. Not all killers can focus survivors and create enough pressure without these perks. Sometimes, it's better to combine other perks than Ruin.

One thing holds true regardless: Ruin by itself is at best a lead start to begin map pressure. Maintaining that pressure will determine if Ruin "paid for itself" in a particular game. It's situational, but isn't everything at most times?

The video was just poking fun at threads that use videos as proof, including this one. I still no heal against spirit, hag and huntress. It is better to quickly do gens than to be constantly healing.

Against a really good nurse self-care won’t save you. On the contrary, I think you lack experience if you think self-care is good/needed, adrenaline is much better.

You don't know with who you're talking with, really. I undestand why you state is better to just gen rush against a good nurse, anyway self care is still a very good perk and usefull in a whole array of situations. You may need it to hide at the end game and heal yourself before rushing to the door, you may need it to heal yourself in order to save someone, to bait the killer, to keep getting safe chases considering the use obj of obs.

Since I run ooo adrenaline is a problem for me because negates my dead hard, the only moment when it's good is when you were already in chase. I don't like to depend on something I can't control (maybe in voice comms swf you can, but still I don't rely on it).

I know and I play with the best survivors in Europe, and they use self care and no adrenaline. I'm one of the best Huntresses in EU and I use ruin.

• Swiftblade131Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 1,218

Implying you have no life? No

Implying all True play is DBD yes, most of us don't have the time to be spent that he does, considering it's not only his job to stream/upload to youtube, but he stopped most other games, like For Honor, for example.

He's got not life. Not saying it in a negative persay, however, it's all he does.

I use Adrenaline, Dead hard, Unbreakable and DS. This build is working nicely for me, although against nurse (even on PS4) people seem to dc/suicide on the hook, which makes escape very unlikely against her.

I face a lot of good players, I’m currently enjoying Nurse, Huntress and Leatherface, I personally like Pop Goes The Weasel.

I play Paladins and DBD, I play them a lot so I kinda do no life on games.

• KsoniKsoni Member Posts: 362

Doesn't seem like a proof for me

• MarcurieMarcurie Member Posts: 74

I often take a med-kit over self-care and equip Adrenaline. The times it comes in handy are worth it and the speed boost to get on an exit gate is precious seconds shaved off the opening (well, 99%).

Most folks who don't care about the pressure are the ones I'm plucking off generators and hanging on a hook.

In games where healing is constant, it's a boon to slowing the game down. It's these situations that make Ruin viable even if it's only up for 45 seconds. Most of the time, it isn't popped that fast unless it's a very obvious totem next to a generator.

A good killer will know their totem locations and take measures to ensure it isn't found too early on. So long as it is up, you'll have time to find survivors. As long as you are pressuring them, there won't be as much focus on Ruin. The focus will be on saving, healing, and hiding. Good patrol routes, constantly herding survivors, and not giving away your totem locations while maintaining awareness (both of survivors, and what their awareness is like) will go far to ensuring Ruin lasts over a minute. Sometimes it's not possible, but usually is fine around rank 10 or lower.

Ruin is simple. The concept of letting it sit there and do the work for you is flawed. It provides an effect, but most players don't nurture that. If you take care of Ruin by knowning it's location, it's current time-to-live, and whether or not survivors have found it or are even looking for it (usually at least one will be), then it will work wonders for you. The trick is in balancing this new information with everything else you should be taking in and filtering throughout the game.

Where are the survivors? What are they currently doing? Where are they going to or will be going to? What is your current terror radius and how does it affect all of the above? These things and more are all being processed and now, how does Hex: Ruin affect that? How do your other perks, or perks of the survivors that you have seen, affect this? What is your next best course of action and what will happen afterward?

There's a lot going into it and that's the key to ensuring Hex: Ruin lasts longer than a few seconds. Sometimes survivors will have it easy and find it within seconds. Sometimes it will be across the map and you went the wrong way, pushing survivors into the totem. Sometimes they'll have Small Game or other perks and notice it when you least expect it, or cleanse it behind your back as soon as you leave. Sometimes you'll basically show and tell them where it is by being obvious (because as humans we always think we're smarter or more clever than the other person, don't underestimate anyone, ever).

It's a great perk--but is often viewed simpler than it's inherent simplicity. Mind games and time management is what this game is about.

• ImpalaImpala Member Posts: 92
    edited September 25

You are giving evidence the same guy that says you can't resist against optimal survivors WITH ruin unless you have Spirit or Nurse. Those aren't what he would call "optimal survivors".

By the way, he is the most try-hard DbD streamer, so again, you aren't proving anything.

edited September 25

Truetalent is a chill player and lesser tryhard than lots of the players he usually faces. That's something he complains about

Like if he's tryhard I'm the hell itself and an average russian mori insta billy is.. well a russian mori insta billy which is worse than hell