Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Hallowed Blight changes: Your thoughts?

Chaotic_RiddleChaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,949
edited September 2019 in General Discussions

Recently, the Hallowed Blight offering was changed so that it had the generic rinse and repeat feature of doing generators and hooking Survivors for the tokens required to purchase the cosmetics that will come with the Hallowed Blight DLC.

In my opinion, I honestly see this as very...Lazy..? Now, don’t get me wrong, the last Hallowed Blight was awful in the sense that you had to focus on doing an objective that did not help your team at all. For Killers, it was the same old song and dance: Just hook Survivors. And, now, it’s the same as the BBQ event and other previous events: Just do gens/Just hook Survivors, lol.

I really think these changes are...Boring, lackluster, and encourage the gen rush problem that is rampant in the game. I really think this Hallowed Blight should focus on redoing what this year’s Chinese New Years did, which was, obtaining an item on the map. I found this feature to be amazing, especially with how it rewarded players. Survivors got rewarded for glowing and sticking out while trying to acquire more bloodpoints and a token, while Killers had to manage taking care of the items to acquire their tokens by finding the players who have the item in their person. But, hey, that’s just me, what do you guys think?

TL;DR

Feels like another rewash of old events and it feels like the devs want it to be ‘exciting’ and ‘drawing in players to continue playing’, but it’ll only just be another ‘oh, cool, I get to hold M1/hook Survivors again’ simulator imo.

Post edited by Chaotic_Riddle on

Comments

• HatCreatureHatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

I really hope they hired better writers for the story this year, I didn't get any messages so probably not.

• Chaotic_RiddleChaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,949

I don’t think the New Year one had any issues, as far as I’m aware.

• YaiPaYaiPa Member Posts: 1,929
    edited September 2019

The real issue is the event offerings rarity increase that came up with Lunar Event.

If you're referring to the lunar year event (with boar huntress as reward), it was negatively received from killers since the points granted were so little they had to change it mid-event.

• IhatelifeIhatelife Member Posts: 5,069
    edited September 2019

It's ok. But I hope we at least see more story of Vigo.. and 1 default hook and 1 default gen per match kinda sucks. If only it could be two...

• PigNRunPigNRun Member Posts: 2,428

What I didnt like about the Moonrise event was the Killer's part of the event. Not only you had to give up pressure to look for a lantern (or having to memorise its location), but also it didnt work with Survivors on death hook or if they were saved instantly. Once again, high mobility Killers gain more benefits while low mobility ones get the shorter end of the stick. Thats why I think, for now, the Event Hook system is fine the way it is. Sure, it doesnt change much from usual gameplay, but at least it does not hinder you. If there is another way to make it special, then it needs to be better implemented than how it was during Moonrise.

As for the generators change, same here. I dont find it particularly good. For once, I actually liked looking for cankers, it was something else to look for other than totems or generators. The only problem with this system was using an offerings and ending up with little progress because everyone else looked for them. Still, I liked the "steady grind" aspect more than the "risk it all" version of Moonrise. That said, from a Survivor perspective, Moonrise was good though. At least you got points for holding the lanterns.

• TizzleTizzle Member Posts: 503

I'd rather have dedicated servers working and rifts implemented.

Using the basis of another event that most players enjoyed on both Killer and Survivor is not a problem.

I’m...Somewhat fine with it?? I think it shouldn’t be the same every single event though, I just really want more creativity out of these things.

That’s true, but whose to say they couldn’t have improved from the idea? I mean, I dunno, ya know, just me voicing my opinion

Also, RIP. Hope he wasn’t banned for this post, that comment would’ve been a very unnecessary reason to ban someone.

• LCGasterLCGaster Member Posts: 3,154
    edited September 2019

I won't say names, but some of my friends have been banned for even dumber reasons, so I wouldn't be surprised

If I get banned for this I'll get mad

• DocOctoberDocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

I don't think it wrong to go back to the Howling Grounds/Summer BBQ roots. Both sides enjoyed those the most. Though I also very much liked the idea of the Moonrise event, even though it was flawed in some aspects.

• MookywolfMookywolf Member Posts: 907

i enjoyed the summer event and was rather sad it didnt happen again this year. i also played hallowed blight last time and... it was ok. but i definitely enjoyed the summer event more because it was basically playing the game normally, just looked cooler. and i look forward to a similar experience this time around.

• PeasantPeasant Member Posts: 4,104

I understand where you're coming from, but each time the devs have been creative it bites them in the rear.

Last Halloween Event - Survivors had to gather Pustula Nectar instead of generators. Result: Nobody did anything except harvest Nectar resulting in mass Survivor death. New props also had a bug that prevented the killer from picking up downed survivors that were interacting with the Pustula flowers.

Last Chinese New Year (Year of the Pig (nerfs)) event - New Lantern prop caused dirty play between all players as everyone was fighting over the lanterns. (Year of the Rat coming up BTW).

Each time the devs have tried to be "fun" it's backfired.

But the gens and hooks model has been relatively loved. Howling Grounds is nefarious but due to crazy survivor buffs rather than event complaints. BBQ Event was seen as a community favorite and many folks asked for another event like it for a while.

I understand why you would want to have new creative events, but folks don't like creative events because we always ruin or complain about them.

• MochanMochan Member Posts: 2,886

Oh no just one special gen? Survivors are gonna be fighting over that and the killer just needs to camp it and the survivors are gonna fall like flies.

Gonna be especially bad if it spawns in the house in Haddonfield or similar where only one survivor can repair it.

I can already hear the Ghostfaces cackling as they hide near the gen.

• PeasantPeasant Member Posts: 4,104

I have like 44 Pustula Petals on Quentin alone. Each offering will add +1 Gen and +1 hook of I am not mistaken. We should be fine initially.

• Chewy102Chewy102 Member Posts: 521

Turns out, if you add another objective to DbD it kinda ruins it for Survivor. If even just 1 person is focused on the event objects that has good odds of the entire game lost for Survivors. It's like having a 3v1, or worse if more than 1 person is doing the event.

Still can win, but not gonna happen. Meanwhile Killer is just going to town on everyone and having a blast.

That's why I think it was changed to just gens/hooks and why there hasn't been another event objective since. It is also likely why DbD hasn't had a 2nd Survivor objective added in yet even with countless requests or it. Adding another objective that isn't directly a means of escape means Survivors aren't going to escape due to wasting too much time. The Hallowed Blight is enough proof of that in my opinion.

Now, if Killers had another objective as well as Survivor... That could be fair. Something like (using last years event as an example) instead of hooking someone you would bring them to the flowers and toss them on to water it with their blood. Doesn't take a hook state away, doesn't really reduce the bleed out timer, it would really just be the same thing as a flashlight save. Killer stuns himself but by watering the flowers with Survivor blood the Killer would earn event progress and likely crap loads of blood points.

Both sides need to waste time and not work towards, or even forgo, their main objective in order to play the event. So neither side could be ######### over by the event favoring one or the other.

• SupernautSupernaut Member Posts: 1,366

ONE BIG REQUEST FOR DEV TEAM!

If not already in place, please can virgin hooks be coloured like last year? It was very difficult to keep tabs on which hooks had not been used during the Lunar event!

Thanks in advance!

@Peanits

• ElusivePukkaElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,602
    edited September 2019

Agreed entirely: the lanterns were unique and fun, offering side objectives for both killer and survivor that weren't "in the way of normal play" while also encouraging some deviation. That's an ideal balance for the events, rather than encouraging the "do the same thing as efficiently as possible to farm more of it quicker" bull they're encouraging with the change.

A major concern that @PigNRun brought up in reference to them was that it favoured higher mobility killers: just stick the lanterns on the backs of lunar hooks, have a hook corrupt the lantern on the back of the special hook, job done - especially if you have a few more in by default.

Ah if there's a way to add gens that'd be great. I wasn't around for last year's Hallowed Blight.

Well to be fair, an event is a change of pace. People should stop thinking about playing optimally and enjoy it!

• oh_0koh_0k Member Posts: 712

The flowers are in the lore now don't know why they removed them