CAMPING explain it to me. it is illegal? i can report it? how to avoid it

MardukMarduk Member Posts: 10

Many pepole use to camping...too much people actually do that. Sometimes the completly lost the game doing so. but still the prevent one survivor from plaing the game, expecially if the killer can one-shot you (when they have a chainsaw and just keep spamming in front of the hooked survivor for istance)and thats is ANNOYNG. i've e eard so many people complain about it, but also as many others that just say "if the killer can do it, than is a winning strategy and you should just let him do that"

First thing first:
is actually camping "illegal"? there are some rules around that says you shouldnt do that? can a killer get banned for keep doing it? do i have to report people that do so? (wich category isthan, "game hostage"?)

If yes...why there isnt a actual game mechaninc that prevent that? you cant just expect a plyer to do not try to win...even if his strategy is lame

if is not, there are actuall strategy to force a killer to stop camping? i've used some myself..they didnt work, and sometimes i'm ended up to be camped too for triyng

thanks

Comments

• deadwolfwalkingdeadwolfwalking Member Posts: 561

camping is completely legal and a viable strategy.... personally, i think its ******* lazy playing and shitty tactics but i'm not a rank 1 killer so my opinion is not as important. there are plenty of counters to camping. don't be downed. secondly, do gens and leave.... when camping quits bringing results, less killers will camp....

• RuneStarrRuneStarr Member Posts: 369

Camping is not reportable/bannable. It's a legit strategy (although a bad one imo).
    Easiest way to go against it? Do gens. Don't waste time trying to unhook, or feeding them more kills by letting them down you when trying to save the hooked survivor.

Eventually you'll get out of the low ranks where the majority of campers are. Once you're above rank 12 you see far less (it still happens even at rank 1 sometimes, but honestly it's not as bad as the lower ranks).

If you really want to just tick a camper off, combo DS and BT. Go for the BT save, but let them grab you during the unhook, hit DS and get the unhook while they're stunned. It'll usually result in them rage quitting, but it's hilarious.

• MardukMarduk Member Posts: 10

sorry i'm still new about DbD language.. what it is: BT and DS?

• RuneStarrRuneStarr Member Posts: 369

@Marduk said:
    sorry i'm still new about DbD language.. what it is: BT and DS?

BT =Borrowed Time - For 15 seconds after unhooking a Survivor within the Killer's Terror Radius, any damage taken that would put the unhooked Survivor into the Dying State will instead trigger a 15/20/25 seconds bleed-out time

DS = Decisive strike - Once per match, when the Killer's Obsession, succeed a Skill Check IconHelp skillChecks.png to automatically escape the Killer's grasp and stun them for 3/3½/4 seconds.

So pretty much, let him think he's gotten a free 2nd hook by camping, stun his ass and unhook the 1st with a bit of protection for them. Sucks if you miss the DS skillcheck though haha

• MardukMarduk Member Posts: 10

got it!

• PeasantPeasant Member Posts: 746
    The act of camping in itself is legal. The actions taken by a killer to defend a hooked survivor are legal. There is only one illegal exception to this ruling.

If you repeatedly camp a single survivor of the same username across multiple games this falls under "Harrassment" and is punishable with a ban. 

So provided you don't only facecamp a specific user over and over you will be all set.
  • TheLegendDyl4n1TheLegendDyl4n1 Member Posts: 531

this is why i sacrifice myself to be the only one killed unless i find a good item in a chest lol but i mostly go against clowns on xbox with the Exhaustion add-ons and it forces me to not be able to use my dead hard (dash forward to avoid damage) or balanced landing (fall from a high place and have less stagger (be able to run faster when falling to the ground) and run for 150% your running speed for 3 sec) both cause exhaustion for 40 sec. and the add-on is yellow! and so i get camped or others get camped the entire game until all the gens are done and i do what he said. i use my ds to get off and then save with BT if they drop me and wait then FML but if not i save them and take thier place so he leaves them alone if they cant get away. but thats just xbox so hopefully PC is better with the 2.1.0 survivor nerf and killer buffs

• HellDescentHellDescent Member Posts: 492
    edited August 21

It is not illegal or against the rules. It's in the game and something we have to deal with unfortunately. Unless the person specifically makes you a target over the course of multiple games. https://support.deadbydaylight.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000442326-Can-I-report-a-player-for-face-camping- And the way to deal with it is to go and do the generators right away even after failed skill check or a completed generator based on my experience they 95% of the time the killer will still stay and camp the person until he dies. It sucks to leave a teammate behind or die yourself and loose a pip. But there is not much you can do at that point really since the killer will stay there and bait you to come. Unless you got dead hard/ds/ or all of you go for the save at the same time.

• inhailsataninhailsatan Member Posts: 1

Honestly tunneling has typically been more an issue.. If it was somehow agreed upon before hand the match was for points fine... But theres nothing worse than staying in lower ranks because of the loss over and over.. I wouldn't mind so much if fellow survivors weren't dropping out from being butt hurt or if they didn't suck... I've played with so many survivors that seem to just not care about gens, and while i'm wasting the killers time and leaving the ability open its all in vain... and Obviously at that point the killer is going to win...
    I've also had many people find the hatch and then camp it and just wait for everyone else to be killed just to secure their easy win but they would get garbage for points. I love the game but playing in public like that can easily make the game not fin and you just quit and forget about the game..til you come back and see it's still the same. The campers and or people Tunneling are typically the dick heads who wont play survivor, which makes it take far longer to create a lobby yourself and fill it with survivors with all the open games

• SalticidaeSalticidae Member Posts: 6

Seems like the goal is to get the gens up and running. The killer is going to... try to kill. If it were illegal to camp a hooked survivor... exactly how many feet away are you supposed to stay. Like, oh, I hooked a survivor I better run away and allow them to get unhooked... the complete opposite of my goal...

that being said, it's stupid, because they are going to fix the gens faster without a killer running around. But trying to tie down everyone's actions with excessive rules and regulations just ruins things.

Punishing people because they are using a bad strategy is stupid.

• aproposapropos Member Posts: 38

I think camping is a strategy that's reserved for newer players, and for killers that are frustrated with a specific survivor. I mean, all the generators can be fixed in the time it takes a sacrifice sequence to complete, so once a person sees their score after camping, or learns how points are generated, anyone who camps will find a new strategy. Like, hooking survivors multiple times instead of relying on a single placement.

• JusticarJusticar Member Posts: 90
    • It's not illegal.
    • You can't report it.
    • Don't get caught.
  • TheHourManTheHourMan Member Posts: 268
    edited September 8

Just gen rush if a killer is camping a hooked survivor. Camping has many other uses in dbd though. Example, cloak as wraith and stand next to a nearly completed gen so you can catch people off guard when they come to work on it. If you gen rush hard enough, most killers will abandon camping a hooked surv. If they didn't abandon the hook, they would lose almost all the gens before that surv even died.

And yes, punishing people for using a bad strategy is stupid. Losing because you used a bad strategy is all the punishment we need.

That being said, camping is actually a very VERY good strategy once the exit gates are powered. Any killer who hasn't sacrificed anyone by that time has an opportunity to at least get one or two kills that way.

• TheHourManTheHourMan Member Posts: 268
    edited September 8

Also, holding the game hostage means that a player is preventing the match from ending and not letting anyone leave. For example, a doctor who used the three gen strat, but refused to actually kill anyone, basically forcing all other players to disconnect in order to get out of the match.

Camping and tunnelling are legit strategies just like gen rushing and pallet looping. They have a time and place though and those killer strats will suffer from using them at the wrong time. For example, if you have dying light and remember me, damn right you should tunnel your obsession ASAP, but if you have zero obsession perks, you should avoid tunnelling because it means you will wind up ignoring potential hooks and going for the person you tunnelled instead. Also if they are actually a good player, you will spend a lot of time chasing them instead of being opportunistic.

• scumrradoscumrrado Member Posts: 33

It might not be illegal, but it is poor gameplay for the killer. Camping may get you a kill or two, but it is a surefire way to lose as the killer, barring the survivors don't feed into it.

If the killer camps someone, let them camp while you continue to complete generators. Depending on your team's load out, you can complete 2-3 generators in the time it takes that one hooked survivor to die. The killer will lose if you ignore the camping. It sucks if it's you or your friend that's being camped, but the best counter to camping is ignoring it. That killer will soon learn it's a bad strategy.

So continue to work on those generators! Sometimes, the completion of multiple generators while the killer camps is enough to make them stop camping.

An alternate strategy that requires some coordination or good timing:

Leave a generator at 99%. If the killer camps, use that time to complete a second generator on the other side of the map to 99%. Coordinate with teammates to complete both at the same time. This will pressure the killer to act, but also confuse them on where to go. This buys time for everyone to flee the completed generators and prepare for the save.

Have your hooked teammate let you know which direction the killer went. They can only go on direction, so whoever is on the other side can save the hooked teammate. The others can move on to completing more generators.

If all else fails and the killer continues to camp, ask whoever is on the hook to struggle. It earns them blood points and it will buy the remaining team more time. If they refuse to struggle, just explain to them that it sucks, but it's the only way to punish the camping.

• BLUE_APEBLUE_APE Member Posts: 262

Its unfair as there isn't anyhthing you can do after it starts. from personal experience, and watching others play, you can get 4k or win the match (even without killing anyone) people just suck at the game and think they deserve to a free kill. Survivors don't deserve a free save either, but honestly you just get to point and laugh at a camper because all there saying is they salty or just bad at the game.

I do have a cruel and simple solution to give said "toxic killers" a punch in the gut for doing this.
    If at least 3 survivors report a killer for camping (after the match, they just had)
    Then for 24 hours (In Real Life)
    A killer will have a warning in their lobby that says
    "CAMPER WARNING! this killer has been reported camping last match, "
    They can reduce the timer by playing in matches with out camping. (with out getting reported)
    But the thing is they can still play, but with that label on their lobbies, survivors aren't going to want to play with them. (Killer can play survivor during that time too, or hope someone will play with them)

Its a lot more better then having to ban people

(Problems though are that toxic survivors who get salty could just report someone who didn't camp, to troll them. Camping can be justifyde though if someone was a hacker though)

• iceman2kxiceman2kx Member Posts: 157

@BLUE_APE said:
    Its unfair as there isn't anyhthing you can do after it starts.

It's perfectly fair, you just don't like it. If you're hooked and your rank 12 survivor buddies are sitting around clueless for 2 minutes trying to figure out why Leatherface hasn't moved from his spot instead of pounding out the rest of the generators, then you should bring that issue up with them. At that point, they are literally potatoes.

If you're being camped, that's 2 minutes survivors have free reign of the map. That's huge and an insta loss for the killer.

• DragonredkingDragonredking Member Posts: 339

No, it's illegal an punished by 1 millions year of stepping on LEGO™ blocks.