We are aware of an issue where the Trapper's Ornate Mask is not appearing in your items - there is no need to contact Support for this matter, we will hopefully have a resolution to this shortly.
The stench of rotting Pustula Plants fills the air: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/93854/
Some players have been facing an issue that causes partial loss of progress. We found one cause of the issue and are planning a fix for the mid-chapter update. In the meantime you can use this workaround: restart the game client after using the Custom game feature. Thank you.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Is Whispers really that good?

ThxForFacecampingThxForFacecamping Member Posts: 211
edited October 11 in General Discussions

I see alot of people using it at high levels and I just don't really get it?

I could see it being helpful for finding survivors early game, and possibly late game if the survivor isn't sitting on top of the hatch, and maybe patrol time but other than that I don't see why it is used so often.

I rarley use whispers anymore and patrol times aren't really that bad. I can usually see if a survivor is in the area by looking at gen progress, noise notifications, and scratch marks.

On top of that, It counts hooked and downed survivors, nullifying any information it can give you.

What am I missing?

Comments

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 3,690

I go against a lot of Survivors that like to use stealth (or go full immersive if they’re losing). Whispers helps with this, and can keep momentum going on killers that desperately need that (for me it’s important with Plague to get everyone sick ASAP, and again if they cleanse), or Whispers helps prevent survivors holding the game hostage.

• snackycjsnackycj Member Posts: 1

Whispers is extremely good for end game doors. I only use it on nurse though.

• ahandfulofrainahandfulofrain Member Posts: 141

I use it on Trapper just to make sure nobody's peeping on my traps

• XbonedXboned Member Posts: 442
    edited October 11

I like Whispers. I don't always run it, and sometimes there are maps where I regret running it (looking at you Hawkins), but it's nice. It won't win you the game or anything, but it does guarantee you'll never have too much of a lull.

There have been numerous times where I found well-hidden survivors because Whispers was active, so I kept looking when I would have otherwise moved on.

• HellCatJaneHellCatJane Member Posts: 450

Whispers is amazing, and also annoying... It's great to help you find players, especially the last player or one that doesn't want to touch a gen. It gives you a general idea or area of where they are, to zone in on. And it can be annoying hearing the BGauhguahgaug noises all the time. It is still a very nice perk to have in your toolset.

And it is amazing to help you not be trapped in game. (hostage) as mentioned above. It's a top tier perk, which can help you "snowball" and save time in a match. There's lots of ways to use it, like trapper if there is no notification any trap he sets, most likely isn't being spotted, I know lots of people love to disarm them right away and that can be argh. It helps you locate survivors all the time, which saves a ton of time. Time killers need.

Overall, it's great on saving time. IMO

• QuolQuol Member Posts: 92
    edited October 11

Whispers serves a couple purposes. With the 3 tier perk letting you see if there is someone in 32 m.

• Its a good perk for the beginning and end of the match, its useful to locate someone quickly at the start and you can use it to see which exit gate they are running too
    • You can use it to see if someone is still in an area. Sometimes they just book it when you get to a gen and this saves time.
    • Once you understand where the common hiding spots are for survivors you can use whispers to make looking for the blendettes and immersive players easier to find, otherwise this can be a lost cause on the bigger maps.
    • If you are a killer with a terror radius less than 32 m, whispers can be used to get the jump on survivors. I really like doing this with Spirit where you walk towards a gen, see whispers turn on then walk up to around 25 m and most dont react fast enough to avoid an attack from phasing.

To those that play Spirit what are your thoughts on it? Does the humming make listening to their movement too hard? When i play Spirit it helps with gen patrolling but im on the fence on if the entity's whispers hurts too much when trying to listen to survivors in phasing.

• NikkiwhatNikkiwhat Member Posts: 951
    edited October 11

I personally hate it for how annoying it often is, I rather run other perks over it...even if it has it's uses for last Survivor or Urban Immersion types....

Gave it a couple tries and I performed far worse because it kept going off and I'd waste time looking for where they were and would always waste time...even if Id find em. I understand it has it's following and users, jus not for me at all.

• RydogRydog Member Posts: 1,101

I personally cannot function without this perk. It saves a lot of patrol time, since you don't have to go all the way to a gen to know if someone's creeping around nearby.

If you are good at estimating distance with it, you can know what gen someone is at pretty reliably, as soon as Whispers kicks in.

I just wish it didn't trigger from hooked survivors.

• Mister_HoldoutMister_Holdout Member Posts: 1,176

Whispers is good if you know how to use it.

• ColonGlockColonGlock Member Posts: 315

I find the voice distracting and it leads me on wild goose chases so I just stick to patrolling generators. Usually works out.

It is most useful when only a few survivors are left.

• Aura_babyyAura_babyy Member Posts: 66

Not sure if this helps but I made a play against a freddy where I had saved Diversion for as late as possible. I was last alive with hatch closed. I used Diversion and went to the other gate. Were it not for that meddling Whispers I would have long been gone out of the game.

• MochanMochan Member Posts: 2,220

Whispers is the number one enemy of stealth survivors. If the killer knows you are there, he'll check more thoroughly and that utterly kills stealth, because it's almost impossible to avoid a killer if he's actively searching for you and convinced you are around (and knows what he's doing).

A good killer with good intuition doesn't need it, but it's kind of like Small Game. Even if you know where to look, the confirmation makes it more certain to find the target.

Without Whispers it is considerably easier to stealth and juke a killer. With Whispers it is a lot, lot harder.

• Tucking_FriggeredTucking_Friggered Member Posts: 631
    edited October 11

Whispers is universally good on every killer at all tiers. It answers an important question with a Boolean answer.

Is there a survivor within 32 meters of this location? True or false.

Whether you opt to use it is personal preference. Whether you are talented enough to make use of what it provides is dependent on you.

• StupidPalletsStupidPallets Member Posts: 351

It makes me waste an undue amount of time, so I agree.

• CrowFoxyCrowFoxy Member Posts: 301

Whispers is good on Pig and that's about it for me.

• DontTryJustDieDontTryJustDie Member Posts: 1

I've used whispers and it can help avoid going to the wrong gens whenever playing Billy or the wrong doors in endgame, if you think it's useless your probably not looking at it enough, I do this since I don't use this enough and just listen and patrol without looking at it, another application is knowing whether there are survivors waiting to unhook before you leave so you can patrol the hook, BBQ does this too though

• blue4zionblue4zion Member Posts: 1,051

I only really use it on Spirit and Ghost face.

It' makes it easy early game to get in a chase with survivors quickly and avoid looking in empty areas. End game with one survivor left, you can use it to figure out which door they're at.

As spirit, I knew the survivor was near one door thanks to whispers, so I just stared at the other door pretending to phase. She ran right up, and I got the free grab and a sweet dc :P

• weirdkid5weirdkid5 Member Posts: 1,906
    edited October 11

A survivor that knows you have it can lead you on a wild goose chase if he is good at keeping out of LOS. Particularly things like Urban Evasion really help. You could become too distracted looking for that "guaranteed" survivor whereas you could just look off in the distance and possibly spot someone else on a gen or making a mistake. It tells you a Survivor is within 32 meters, but that Survivor could be right under your nose, and could follow you, severely confusing you as to where they actually are located.

It can help, it can be a detriment. It depends on the kind of Survivors you're facing.

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 833

It Is generally a good perk. Better on some killers than others.

• MarcusMarcus Member Posts: 1,140

Tbh, it's really not that good and I personally don't see anymore too many killers using it.

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 3,441

If you usually don't spend a lot of time looking for survivors and are basically always in a chase, then you can use your perk slots for other perks. In general, Whispers is a very good perk.