Nintendo Switch™ players: Instability issues prevented us from releasing the mid-chapter update and The Archives. Good news! We are working towards launching the update sometime next week.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Why Things Get Pushed Back

CentrumCentrum Member Posts: 160

Ok, I'll preface this by saying I have a bit of experience with Python 3 (I'm studying to get a coding job & improve my life)

So let's take the event being pushed back:

It could be that they found a game-breaking bug when they compiled the final code yesterday. Something that crashes the game. Literally unplayable.

Now, a game like DBD could have THOUSANDS of lines of code. For reference, War & Peace, the famous book? Only has 1,225 pages. The devs could be looking through enough lines of code to fill 2 or 3 War & Peace books. Or more.

When it comes to crashing issues, sadly, most compilers are pretty general on the 'why' because the developers of the compiler can only know what anyone will use the code for in a very broad sense. Dead By Daylight is in C#/C++, from what I could find. So you have general crashing messages that may give a HINT of where the problem is. No one who made the compiler or created C# or C++ could have known to write a crash message that tells BHVR 'Oh. There's a crash because the game is trying to place Dwight out of bounds and overwriting crucial gameplay loops with his location data'

That vague error cuts down the code to search from several thousand to maybe a thousand..ish.

So you still have to search through hundreds, of not 1000+, lines of code to find WHAT is breaking and WHY. And believe me; sometimes why a line of code, or an entire process, breaks is very obscure. It's not always as easy as 'Someone typoed' or 'someone decided to make a list when a dictionary was needed'.

And even THEN, when you fix the problem, there's a chance that your fix broke something ELSE. Then you have to find where and why. Can you alter your fix? Or was your change 100% needed, so now you have to go find what it's clashing with & fix THAT? And now you compile again and your fix after the first fix is now breaking something in the animation code. Can you alter your second fix? or do you have to go diving into the deep end again?

It's nowhere near as easy as 'Find it and fix it'. Or rather, saying that's like saying 'Rocket Science is just doing math' or 'Biology is just learning how living things work'; You're over-simplifying to such a degree that you're all but wrong.

So chill with the whole 'Give us this or riot!" and 'We deserve compensation!' and 'Why was it pushed back!? RAGHALEHARBLE!'

If it was pushed back, it was because it was not fit to be played. And the fix can indeed take days or weeks. It's not as easy as hitting ctrl-f and fixing a few words.

Comments

• hiChiC Member Posts: 217

I liked the part where you’re studying Python and think DBD is written in C.

• CentrumCentrum Member Posts: 160

I said 'from what I could find'. I googled it and was given the blurb 'Code game-play features in C#/C++ in combination with multiple scripting languages (LUA, AS3, etc.)'

From a job posting from BHVR for a Programmer.

Best I could find. I'm not an expert, even in Python. And even if I was, I would not just know what language a game is written in without, you know, looking it up at least once.

And does me being wrong about the language in any way mean I'm wrong about the troubles with bug finding? Does it invalidate my post?

Also, if you know, out of curiosity; what language IS DBD in?

edited October 23

I don’t know what language it’s written in. It’s built with the unreal engine, so I don’t imagine there’s as much opening a text editor, altering, and recompiling code as you’re implying. It’s a pretty long winded post when you have no actual idea what their development stack is like. I guess my I was being a twat with that comment. I think all the speculative posts about why the event is pushed back are getting to me. Sorry m8.

• Well_Placed_HexTotemWell_Placed_HexTotem Member Posts: 673

It had to have failed certification. This build would have been tested and sent in days/weeks ago.

You don't open text files to compile code.

I can't speak for the Unreal Engine (Which is C++), but I use PyCharm for my Python 3 programming.

And no need to be sorry; sure, this was long-winded but I was trying to give folks a good idea of what bug-smashing in coding is like, because I was also getting tired of all the threads. :)

• FireHazardFireHazard Member, Trusted Posts: 3,630
    edited October 23

I mean, due to how many lines of code DBD has from just 3 years alone... I can see why it would take some time to find the issue.

Some people like to think "Oh guys look, we got BHVR'ed again!" But the real issue stems from the time it'll take to find the issue within the code itself... I don't see why some people can't see that and instead think BHVR is out to get us or something? But what they're doing is actually improving the event and our experience so we can enjoy it...

I guess some people like game breaking bugs? Or they don't care if they can still play in a match. But what if the game breaking bug was like you said... where the game won't even run? Than what? We just need to be patient...

You can't please everyone of course, so it's not like I wasn't expecting people to be mad about it...

• KillermainBTWm8KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 3,668

We also need to remember that BHVR isn't a huge Triple A company that has A TON of resources. That can also contribute to this.

• UlvenDagothUlvenDagoth Member Posts: 2,813

you are so right with this man. People dont seem to get it.

• FireHazardFireHazard Member, Trusted Posts: 3,630
    edited October 23

I think its more so because a lot of people think their team is huge, but it's actually not. (Aka, what you said but people think their team is big regardless if they're triple A)

So in turn they believe an issue will get solved in a day or two, when in reality if your team consist of not many coders for example... than it'll take more time since not many people are looking for the issue.

• Well_Placed_HexTotemWell_Placed_HexTotem Member Posts: 673

This lie has to stop.

The DbD team at BHVR might not be big. The budget they are given by BHVR might be small, might not.

But BHVR last sourced has 500 employees. They’re a big developer. Respawn for example has around 300. BHVR might not be mega huge but they aren’t this super small indie team people make them out to be.

Don’t seem to get what? People aren’t allowed to get upset when a developer misses a deadline? Regardless of the underlying issue and what it takes to resolve it, I don’t think it’s out of line to be disappointed the event isn’t launching on time.

• LapisInfernalisLapisInfernalis Member Posts: 481

I think that one picture a friend showed me, summarizes problems with bugs and bug fixing quite well:

A light switch next to an elevator with a note above it: Don't turn off the light, because it turns off the elevator as well.

Most people don’t think or care how big the team at BHVR is. All they know is the event is postponed and that’s disappointing. Customers don’t care about the details of the business; they just want the product or service they’re paying for.

• ABannedCatABannedCat Member Posts: 934
    edited October 23

I can completely understand that things sometimes break. And that it can take a considerable amount of time to fix those broken things. Coding is a long and annoying process, and finding errors is even more annoying, I understand that.

The problem why people get annoyed is because Behaviour doesn't seem to learn from their mistakes, and most bugs could have been prevented from patches with a little bit of testing before release.

Take sound for example. Footsteps, grunts of pain, etc, etc. It has been broken over and over and over and over again by Behaviour, and everytime it has been included in the patches regardless, even though just a single test-match could have showed them that it was broken. In some instances where it was borderline gamebreaking, and seriously crippled killer-gameplay, it still hit the live version. After months it got fixed. Next patch broke it again. Rinse repeat. That [BAD WORD] gets really on people's nerves for a good reason. Especially since it could have been preventable.

• UlvenDagothUlvenDagoth Member Posts: 2,813

Oh no, I don't mean that. I mean the people that get actively rude or DEMAND something back cause of it. Disappointment I get, but things like this happen and it takes time to fix. No one has any reason to be douchebags to the Devs or demand compensation.

Fair enough; nobody deserves be harassed over a video game. I can certainly agree with that.