Home Discussions General Discussions

Is matchmaking broken or is it lack of high rank killers??

As a rank 10-12 killer, I have my limitations.

Aside from that, most games go like this: either I stomp and get 3-4K, or I get stomped and get 0k.

Rarely is there a middle ground where I get 2k.

I don’t mind the challenge of facing 4 survivors 4-6 ranks above me, but when it seems to be the majority of games, it becomes unfun.

I don’t want, nor do I expect, to face 4 survivors 4-6 ranks below me either on a consistent basis. It would be nice !! Haha jk.

But it seems that the higher percentage of my matches are survivors consistently above my rank.

When I get 0k it’s rarely against all lower rank players. Again I hardly have games against all lower ranks.

Back around October 2019 I think it was, shortly after the SWF matchmaking fix, I remember getting a few matches of survivors actually at my own rank!

But anymore it’s always like me at Green rank 11 vs purples and reds. It’s rarely all green, and even more rarely people below me.

Is this because of a lack of higher ranked killers??

I don’t want to always get stomped by people better than me, and I don’t want to stomp people equal to or lesser than me.

I want fun matches that are challenging where I can get 1-2k. Not match after match after match of me vs survivors 4-6 ranks above and I get 0k. Sometimes I don’t mind a couple matches like that back to back. I don’t expect to win every game.

Now i will say that I have had some matches with all higher ranked survivors and i get 4K. But it’s just not that often.

Comments

• goat10emgoat10em Member Posts: 750

I'm going to go with broken. When I play survivor at rank 1 my killers have been green and yellow ranks. When I play killer at rank 1 some times I get a lobby of red ranks and some times I get a lobby of purple, green, and yellow ranks.

• Go_Go_RobotoGo_Go_Roboto Member Posts: 244

One main thing!

It is harder to rank up as killer. This is honestly true to the bone. Killer matches require full concentration nearly the entire trial. Survivor matches are a mix of relaxation between high-stress moments around the killer. On a personal level, it's more draining. That aside, ataining levels for badges is also more difficult. Survivors have some essentially free progress by people on their side doing things for them (saves, heals, being near someone else being chased, etc.)

There's a simple lack of high ranking killers for the game to properly match-make properly or have parallel issues.

• twistedmonkeytwistedmonkey Member, Trusted Posts: 3,772
    edited January 15

It seems from two things.

First dedicated servers which made ps4 queues longer for some when they were activated. This could be more to do with region separation.

Secondly the change to how swf match up.

Say there was 1.2k survivors playing in 4 man swf. That's 400 swf matches in total. It only needs one red or high ranked player in each of these to affect the red rank queue times. So If there was only one red rank in each of those matches it then affects queue times dramatically as you need another 300 red rank killers to fill the void.

This is why low rank killers could also have longer queue times if more newer players are brought in through word of mouth and are playing more with high ranked friends.

• rickyray101rickyray101 Member Posts: 86

No the game is garbage now.

• ppo8820ppo8820 Member Posts: 763

Good question. I’ve been getting survivors in red and purple ranks all day as rank 15 killer. As rank 7 survivor I’ve been getting rank 17-19 killers.

• kurgan8282kurgan8282 Member Posts: 186

starting to think it's lack of killers,actually, just took me exactly 26 minutes to enter in a match, and,althought it's night in my timezone, it should be early evening or even afternoon in the states...

• lamekillerlamekiller Member Posts: 23

I get matches like this all the time. I'm a rank 15-13 killer depending on how the night goes for example in a night where I get surfs that are 18-13 consistently I'll move up and on nights where I get 10-4 all night i drop. match making is messed up for sure.

• Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 4,635

i think its due to matchmaking AND a lack of high rank players - let me explain.

the new matchmaing for SWF is what i think caused this.

due to many SWF groups having at least 1 high rank player, the matchmaking now searches for games in this high rank gamers rank - dragging 3 others into the high rank search, who arent even high rank.

due to this, there are a LOT of survivors up there searching for red rank killers, even though many of them arent even red rank.

and we dont have enough high rank killers to compensate for these numbers, therefore lobby waiting times are extremely long for survivors.

and it would explain why low rank killers cant find lobbies eigther.

thats just my thoughts though.

• KrispiesChickenKrispiesChicken Member Posts: 171

It's not that bad. I've noticed rank doesn't mean anything. As survivor I've died against a 20 rank killer and lived against multiple 10 or so ranks. As killer I don't play very much but I typically get rank 10 every month, and the survivors are usually rank 8s and higher. I still get 4ks pretty consistent as killer. It's all based on skill set and the ranks doesn't really determine that anymore. I ignore ranks at this point

• EyediceEyedice Member Posts: 13
    edited January 16

Rank means A LOT when you're the only purple rank survivor in a match and everybody else is 14-20. I've gone from purple to green in a single day just because lower ranks rage quit, don't get me off the hook or just don't know the game well enough. It's been frustrating actually, because these are the only matches I'm getting as of lately and I simply cannot rank up or have fun because these matches don't last a long time anyway.

• kcwolf1975kcwolf1975 Member Posts: 537

I think it is not only a lack of killers in the high ranks, but also an influx of higher ranked survivors.

I would usually play killer 75% of the time and just play survivor for dailies or once a day for the bonus 300 exp points. Once the archive challenges started, I had to play the survivor role much more. I was amazed how quickly I ascended into the red ranks even though I am not that good.

I don't think it is news to anyone that ranking up as a survivor is much easier than killer, so when you combine that with more people playing survivor then you have way too many survivor in the red ranks and not enough high rank killers to accommodate them.

• MarknessMarkness Member Posts: 159

It is too easy to pip as a survivor and too hard as a killer. I play nice and end up with a "brutal killer" even though I have 2 sacrifices and 28k score. Meanwhile, if I use prove thyself and get two gens done and a few safe hook rescues via borrowed time I will pip ever single time (unless I get spotted first, then I usually end up with a black pip because I am gonna run the killer). Devs need to adjust the pip system for killers, and leave the survivor one alone.

Don't nerf the emblems for survivors, buff the killer one so the people that have the hook sitting up their arse stop pipping and the ones that actually run around and chase/sacrifice people end up ranking up. It rewards people that play in an "unfun" way in the current system.

• MrMisanthropy66MrMisanthropy66 Member Posts: 122

All my end game screens as killer look like this it needs to be fixed!!!

• DemiGod0U812DemiGod0U812 Member Posts: 2

I'm in the Southeast U.S. and after 22 minutes waiting for game as survivor, I just gave up.

This just started after the dedicated servers. Obviously there aren't a lot of PS4 players in my region.

• twistedmonkeytwistedmonkey Member, Trusted Posts: 3,772

It will of course depend on rank and time of day as you will be on the Virginia server. That's not accounting for the bug they mentioned also.

• CarlosyluCarlosylu Member Posts: 2,456

It's not broken, it's "different", soon we'll al be "blank" ranked post game, so, don't worry 😉

• WaffleyumboyWaffleyumboy Member Posts: 6,652

Imo it is a combination of bugged matchmaking and inflated survivor ranks.

• BenZ0BenZ0 Member Posts: 1,831

A mix of both. Since the matchmaking change you will find sometimes atleast 1 person that is completly out of the rank roster you and the others have. But since a few days and the upcoming days, the most killer mains or good killers dont play and thats why alot of survivor find low rank killers. I personally dont play often because the Ruin nerf demotivateded me ALOT. It feels that the devs just dont care about the gen speed aka map design problem.

• asergioamasergioam Member Posts: 359

It's a mix of both but the main reason is that the matchmaking is broken thus making that many survivors get into high ranks without acctually belonging there wich in turn results in a lack of high ranking killers to compensate for the excess of badly ranked survivors.

• Bloodlust_Gamer69Bloodlust_Gamer69 Member Posts: 145

So it begins