Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.3.1 Bugfix Patch drops today. For release times and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/201738

I’m a much happier Killer main ever since I changed the way I play matches.

I no longer play to win, sometimes I even congratulate survivors and compliment them on some of the things they do. I own up to my own mistakes and shrug off any BS the game throws at me, like messed up hit boxes or certain parts of maps not letting me blink through them, I just accept it for what it is.

Survivors can be as toxic as they want, I don’t mind. Teabag at the gate? That’s alright, go for it. If they’re having fun then I’m having fun. I play whatever killer I feel like playing, not for viability, but just the different powers, aesthetics etc.

Im having a lot more fun with the game ever since I’ve stopped taking it seriously. I still try my best and aim to get kills, but if I don’t, it’s all good. I just keep on trying and getting better without letting rage consume me. It’s much more relaxing to play for me now.

Comments

• AllMyLemonsAllMyLemons Member Posts: 62

Man i need that ability too. Ive tried to play what killer i want but at somepoint i get frustrated and i return to more viable killers

• A_Can_Of_AirA_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 781

Pretty much always between rank 1-2, been playing since December 2017. I’ve always gotten so angry at the game due to certain expectations. I always expect to do well if I try hard enough but it’s usually when I try hard and fail miserably while the survivors are toxic that gets me. Recently though, after changing the way I see the game and play it, I don’t feel like that anymore, even if I’m getting trashed. My old habit will slip through on the rare occasion for a second or two but I manage to catch it and eliminate it quickly.

• emyungemyung Member Posts: 128
    edited January 16

Overall I think games should not be taken emotionally seriously and your approach is wise.

But I do like the sense of dread that killers gave on survivors. Nowadays many survivors treat killers like punchbags and they are not much of a threat. When Demogorgon was released, as a survivor player I just loved him. I love when I face against Myers and Demogorgon because they do give some dread.

When I play as a killer I do love the feeling of being the embodiment of horror and hunt the survivors. I do not get too upset when I "loose" but I can understand the rant that some killers players are posting.

Once emotionally detached upon a game outcome, it is just a matter of time to just leave the game experience.

• AneurysmAneurysm Member Posts: 1,641

I'm trying to do the same. Going with the stupidest builds possible help, like snipe doc with nothing but haunted grounds and thrill of the hunt. Getting four very sweaty, angry survivors when you're playing something like that just becomes funny rather than frustrating.

• XbonedXboned Member Posts: 461

Well, I'll certainly agree that the best way to preserve your sanity as a killer main is to stop caring about winning.

However one chooses to define "winning" according to these game's ill-defined conditions, anyway.

• PepsidotPepsidot Member Posts: 310
    edited January 16

I do that too whenever I play killer. I used to go crazy thinking about what all the survivors are doing, what gens they're on, how much they're progressed, where the hatch is. I was REALLY focused. But now I couldn't care less about much, such as slugging survivors to get 4k... which I used to care about (hence used Whispers). I don't have the game MAX volume to hear footsteps and honestly lose survivors sometimes in chases.. but I don't care! I kinda just wander from gen to gen, not much thought goes into it.

I've got to red rank killer just from playing the game. Not try Harding, even by using Distressing, Beast Of Prey, BBCAQ just for BP.

I just kinda don't care anymore when playing killer. But to be fair I don't play killer that much anymore... survivor is more enjoyable. Generally just play it for BP or to try out random builds.

• avilmaskavilmask Member Posts: 600

I thinks it's like a zen achieved by the "killer main" at some point of their gaming live. You can't keep liking to play as a killer "in general" if you don't learn, how to be satisfied with loses, only if you some kind of one trick pony that plays the same powerful killer.

cough Still I don't think it's an acceptable reason to bend killers over just to "check what will happen" cough

• themirrortwinthemirrortwin Member Posts: 196

There is an important distinction between the relationship you have with your own play and your own games and then the relationship with "The game" of DBD.

I agree that adopting a growth mindset, focusing on personally playing your best regardless of the outcome, enjoying the process over the results, and being a friendly, positive community member are excellent.

At the same time, acknowledging the problems in ever evolving game, advocating for improvement, and importantly voicing frustration at the present state of things as you see it is also an extremely critical part of being in this community.

• theArashitheArashi Member Posts: 986
    edited January 16

I'm much happier player ever since I have started playing this game less and less.

I can't get annoyed if I only play few matches a week, then I move on to Iceborne and I can actually see the game rewarding me for the effort put in it and gather knowledge.

The problem with that approach is that if you don't invest emotion into your game, you are barely invested in it at all. So hey, if ANYTHING ELSE pops up, you give up this game for the replacement that does make you invested in it.

You may not care about winning but you definetely won't be super happy when keep losing over and over. That's the competitive game format for you. You play against other players and through the competition you either win or lose.

I guess my anger comes into play not from survivors playing better or finishing the game quickly, it's their job and they play according to the game rule, but rather from the game being badly designed, broken, duck-taped together and patchfixed by something that looks like team no signs of QA or direction after 3 years. We get McLean talk about things they want to try and expect to look at and then we get Peanits(which I count as a Devs mouthpiece of sort) print out patchnotes that don't even take into account killers stuggles while changing the most important bandaid perk of DBD. Mixed signals coming from all directions and then we get patch that shows only latter stance on that matter.

'Don't have the player, hate the game'. So I guess I'm doing it right.

• Hex_RaiderHex_Raider Member Posts: 37

That's how I play, for sure.

If I'm able to sacrifice the ToXiC sUrViVoR, great... if not, lucky them.

• DexyIVDexyIV Member Posts: 499

Most people forget that this is a game. Games are played to, you know, have fun. You can play this game and still have fun while losing. Not to mention it's hard to make a comeback from a losing game when you tilt

• Johnny_XManJohnny_XMan Member Posts: 2,850

Getting angry is a choice, you can still play to win without the anger part.

I’m not saying I’ve never been tilted but much like in real life, I like to learn from my mistakes... and this game puts me in a pvp scenario where I only have so many chances to succeed. A lot of times I like to reflect on what I could do better in the next match etc.

• Ace_Of_SpadesAce_Of_Spades Member Posts: 51

Well then this all proves competitive players can move on. The developers are trying to get killers to accept losing. Which is fine in its own right. Zen, Buddha, The Dude. But for players looking to test themselves just move on to a balanced game. That's good to know. Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

• youarewronglolyouarewronglol Member Posts: 444

"just have fun lol"

ok bro i'll try to keep that seed of knowledge in mind

• EchorionEchorion Member Posts: 1,883

You kinda have to look at it that way.

A lot of people will try and goat you and tell you that you suck or whatever else, but the thing is the games so broken, unbalanced, and unfair- that it has a certain liberating appeal to it.

So when you lose to those people several ranks higher than you, or because they have toolboxes or you didn't camp/tunnel when it would have won you the match, etc....

You realize that you can just enjoy it for what it is. No point giving a **** because the matches are stacked most of the time anyways.

As long as BHVR continues to not punish killers for doing their meme games or anything stupid like that; I can probably keep playing and having fun just as it is.

• OmegaXIIOmegaXII Member Posts: 1,576

I stopped caring about winning few days ago, since matchmaking is broken. I constantly go against red rank team when i am only green rank.

So when i play killer, i expect to lose. I don't want to win anymore. So now i start playing perkless, add-onsless, because i lose anyway. Playing without anything will make me feel better when i lose.

Well.. if i win, i'll take it as bonus. Another bonus is survivors won't send me hatemails and get a lot more ggs

• HopesfallHopesfall Member Posts: 596

that will only last so long unless you just have zero competitiveness in your body

• EchorionEchorion Member Posts: 1,883
    edited January 17

I'm doing the same thing, gens get done just too fast and everyone I go against has thousands of hours....there is no way I could ever actually win.

So I just don't waste my bloodpoints really and take them as is instead. Loss is generally inevitable but if I get one kill here or there they can't say it was because of a perk or add on or anything lol.

Not really, I am fairly competitive, unhealthily so- but even I can let it go for this game because I can't get into that kind of competitive spirit when something is stacked against you to begin with. I've been playing a lot of meme games mostly, I've given up trying to actually win or anything.

• TerrorTrooperTerrorTrooper Member Posts: 91

This should be my new years resolution to be positive again. I always get so much hate in messages when playing video games, there toxicity tends to rub off on to you. Like when tea bagging was used for when you out play a player but now it's used as an insult and is over used. Had a guy in a first person shooter say vulgar stuff while tea bagging. I got DBD when i got a ps4 and it was fun all the time until you start getting those voice chat survive with friend groups trolling. So i started playing survivor solo and i been having a blast. As long as i get one gen done i'm ready to die even better if i get two done. But lately on console it's taking longer to find a match because i think even console players learned that ruin is getting nerfed and takes about 5-15 minutes to find a match. So i might main killer more often since it takes 1 second to find a match, but i really only have few killers with decent perk combo's. I will be very positive if they would add an option to not play against SWF groups at all, unless they give a decent amount of blood point bonus.

• RevansithRevansith Member Posts: 367

Personally I enjoy matches that last a while and even if I get a neutral (i.e. no pip) so long as I feel the match hasnt been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish I get some enjoyment.

The friend that introduced me to playing this game had started playing about a month or so before me (I include the time it took for me to sort out my settings) and as a result are now way ahead of me on both Survivor and Killer.

It has acted as a complete disincentive to continue playing this game as much as before. My opinion which I am sure is not a common one is that if I cannot rank up five times in a single season as ranking and pipping up is so easy, I should quit playing.