Home Discussions General Discussions
The 4.3.1 Bugfix Patch drops today. For release times and patch notes, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/201738

I’m a much happier Killer main ever since I changed the way I play matches.

Comments

• A_Can_Of_AirA_Can_Of_Air Member Posts: 781

“Please don’t” not “You can’t say that” and my point is that you’re derailing the main point of the post. You literally can’t go through the main page of the forums currently without at least one Ruin nerf post. We get it, the devs are evil demons who don’t care about killers at all, just keep that to the posts that actually relate to it as a main point if you’d be so kind.

Looping is a core game mechanic and only Nurse (and in ways Spirit) ignores loops entirely. It may seem dumb when put in a real life scenario but this is a video game. The only other defense survivors have is stealth or vaults. As for other aspects of balance, that’s up for debate. Fair, balanced and enjoyable applies to survivors as well, Killers aren’t the only ones who deserve that.

• EZ5kEZ5k Member Posts: 233

Money. 4 people to buy cosmetics instead of 1. 4 people to buy DLC instead of 1. People are more likely to play survivor than killer due to a lot of big streamers playing survivor. As for the Ruin change, again, down to money. If it's about the new player experience, then gutting ruin is 100% the move to make, high end balance be damned. They also kept changing the reason every time they're pressed about it. Their bugfixing also highlights the bias as survivor issues are fixed near instantly while killer issues take months to year(s) to get addressed. It took 3 months for infinites to get fixed, while the game's creative lead tried to assert that they took skill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stFualgN8h8

• The_Bootie_GorgonThe_Bootie_Gorgon Member Posts: 1,605

I play to win, even if we are playing "steak". I don't cry end of the world if I lose. Take the loss and move on.

Bruh, literally every survivor nerf gets deemed unfair by that side of the community. While you are correct that killers aren't the only ones deserving, but looping and the current core mechanics ain't it chief

• PoisonNPoisonN Member Posts: 624

That's literally my point. I just find funny this beautiful philosophy and tears that killers need to be forced to having fun when they have to deal with so many issues and it's even more funny that you guys are putting them in a stereotype of mad people for... complaining. And just IMAGINE what devs could be suffering if it was the 4 favorite survivors perks?

But anyway, I'm done here. Didn't know you are so sensitive. You got devs attention. Congratulations, you're famous now. They love these irrelevant convos I see

So if not looping, what do you propose that it gets replaced with?

• Rareware0192Rareware0192 Member Posts: 252

I tend to get very competitive in PvP type games. Back when I played OW (and strangely enough, even Splatoon) I would get heated whenever I’d take a loss in the competitive modes. One time I actually even raged out loud at my TV and I’m usually someone who gets silent or curses lightly when I’m mad.

With that being said, when I started playing DBD as Killer and I’d lose and get teabagged I would get mad, but I started making a promise to myself to never get to that point of anger again, and I’ve actually been doing fairly well. Nowadays if every survivor escapes and I get teabagged at the gates I’ll just brush it off and move onto the next game, and I’ve been happier ever since making that change.

• KuromiStarwindKuromiStarwind Member Posts: 325
    edited January 17

Sorry, but "ignore everything and just play to have fun" isn't the mentality people should have when it comes to balancing the game. It's the exact reason things that shouldn't be nerfed get nerfed and why things that should be nerfed do not get nerfed.

If the only way you can enjoy something is to do that then your game is, to that person, fundamentally unfun

Stealth. Now I already know that'd require a ton of overhaul to killer perks including BBQ (no toucha mah points tho), and I'd be fine with that. The maps should be smaller but have a higher emphasis on stealth options and maneuverability so that the killer would have to waste his time searching through multiple areas instead of being looped around a rusty pile of crap. Another thing that can easily be done with that now is to have completed gens open up more stealth areas to apply more pressure towards the killer, like an underground tunnel or airvent. Think more Outlast levels of stealth with Metal Gear style maps (airvents, boxes, lockers, etc). Of course, given their inability to recognize core map issues at the moment, I doubt they'd be able to pull this off without hiring a map designer that actually understands contact points, objective flow, and stealth/juke options.

• johnmwarnerjohnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793

I will legit tell survivors GG no matter what, and even specifics like “man Bill you looped the heck out of that first chase,” or “only reason I got you guys was really that lucky Haunted ground timing.”

Im not going “pro,” I’m not a streamer, and in a few years this game will just be a memory. I want it to be a food one not stressful AF

• honestlybaffledhonestlybaffled Member Posts: 175

I play survivor when I want to de-stress, because its much more bearable to suffer with friends, I can't really chill when I play killer, because not only you're up agaisn't 4 strangers, but some of them are real buggers and going agaisn't 4 bullies is just ew. but congrats to you for achieving nirvana

• Rex_HoneycutRex_Honeycut Member Posts: 99

Love this post. I very much enjoy this game despite its flaws but a lot of people lose focus on the fact that it is a game, not a life test.

I’m not giving up and accepting I can’t win, I’m accepting losses where they come and not getting angry about it. Two totally different things.

Yep, I still compete and wanna win... but if not meh I know I’m not thee greatest video game player and it’s by a lot lol

• KurrmiuKurrmiu Member Posts: 23

For me as a newish player (2,5 months), the last two weeks have been a sobering experience. I'm not sure what has changed recently...

Went from wanting to get better as a killer, getting 2-4k each game up to rank 6 and improving my skills as I play... to expecting a 0k and HOPE to get more than 1 BBQ stack. 4 BBQ stacks are a win for me currently.

I get it, I'm not yet good/experienced enough to have good games vs red/purple survivors and that's okay. Losing 20 games in a row last saturday made me realise that depipping (not intentionally, just losing despite trying my best) to rank 10 does not make a difference - I'm still going to be playing vs the same players with thousands of hours of experience.

None of this makes me angry, just increasingly sad. Guess I'll be sticking to survivor from now on, solo surv experience is still better than this :)

This might sound dramatic, but honestly I wish I hadn't bought the game (and most DLC) at all.

Sorry for the rant. I need a hug

• PyroGLPyroGL Member Posts: 194

I find this thread truly fascinating. I can completely agree that when all is said and done, DBD is a video game and should not be taken so seriously that one gets physically upset, mad or (in hopefully rare instances) violent. On the other hand, if you are not going for the win in a competitive game, then what is the point to playing? Grinding BP to lvl your characters to maximum is all well and good, but it feels like an empty goal, considering you can't show off your killer/survivor profile, and the goal posts move further back with every patch (and get harder to boot).

I've always wanted to express why I struggle with this game in particular, but the words and thoughts always seem to be jumbled in my head and I have difficulty stating them clearly. The best I can put it, DBD feels inconsistent. Strategies that are shared by streamers, rarely seem to work out for me. Looping guides and counter-looping guides somehow always are never the correct play in the games I'm in. Killer powers such as Oni's flick, Hillbilly's chainsaw flick, Demogorgon's Shred; all of these feel difficult to use effectively to me because I seem to always hit some bit of geometry that others can get around no problem. Anytime I play survivor, window hits are rarely in my favor, but in my killer games, only the surefire window hits connect for me. Map layout often feels like I'm playing against the Entity itself rather than my human opponent(s). As a result, I often get tilted when survivors think they are hot-[BAD WORD] because of how much of the map is "safe", and hit with a gg ez at the of the match.

The worst thing that gets me, though, is getting keyed. Nothing drives me more crazy than doing well in a match, hooking left and right, pushing through all the loops and safe zones, seeing victory within my grasp (a 3-4k + a pip), and then seeing 2-3 hatch escapes with 1 gen left, most them being on death hook. Naturally to be followed up with "gg" and often a depip. I don't want keys completely eliminated, but key escapes do not feel rare enough for my tastes, and I'll just leave it at that.

• Boosted_DwightBoosted_Dwight Member, Trusted Posts: 2,899

Ah so you're becoming less competitive. My bad I misunderstood it :P

Basically, yeah. Still trying to do well but not being bothered if I don’t. I’m not try harding to win and I’m not aiming to lose, I just accept whatever outcome happens. I have fun and I think that’s what matters the most, it’s a game after all.

It may sound like a copout or excuses, but good play doesn’t always get rewarded in DBD, I think that is why even I WANT to win I don’t feel the NEED to win.

Some maps, loops, tile combos, etc can make a map oh so survivor sided. The same goes for killer too, but a weak loop doesn’t aid the killer as much as a strong loop hinders them.

To answer your question, right now I mostly play survivor. It’s enjoyable for me and I’m still not very good but still in red ranks so a lot of games are tough for me. I only play killer for faster blood points, but when I do I try my best. I just don’t get worked up if I lose because A. I know I’m not great at fast video game and B. There is a lot of RNG even when you are as good or better than the survivors.

• Eye66Eye66 Member Posts: 759

Load up and throw every match don't even attack survivors; the dev in charge of addressing the concerns of everyone else who wants to actually play the game loves that idea and agrees. Cool. Amazin'.

In all serious how did Peanits fall for this troll post and why are they working so hard to upset everyone who likes killer as much as possible? This is why there's no faith in ruin nerf turning out ok, because you keep antagonizing the players it hurts and the whole thing's just some joke to them

Peanits is really letting us down in every way, at least it explains why they keep mocking killer players

• Maj33yMaj33y Member Posts: 230

*Reading title*

Came here for the supplement that makes you happy despite whatever outcome you have in your games .

Well I expected something along the lines of " I now sniff a bit of Helium after every game"

I guess I was wrong congrats to you buddy 😂

• CarpemortumCarpemortum Member Posts: 4,511
    edited January 17

I've been saying that for a while. Dont play to get 4k every game. Play to be the killer you pick.

I play pig and trap one person, and watch them struggle with their traps. If they get it off I let them live.

Stalk with Meyers/GF until my one target is vulnerable/alone. More jumpscares than actual chasing.

Cannibal/Demo is similar. I dont use "meta gaming" to track and hunt people based on knowledge of pallets, routes, and how survivors think. I use mindless beast like chasing methods.

I play as if i was a named npc/boss of the game they're trying to survive. I give them a chase and a challenge, and obviously try for a kill, but my entertainment is in being the necessary threat to their survival.

You can want true balance AND play for fun without NEEDING to win. Just fyi.

Nobody thinks the only win is a 4k, a 2k and not getting trolled is a win to me

Youd be surprised how many people think a 3k hatch escape is a loss.

2k without clicky clicky or teabagging for no reason is absolutely a win. Hell, even seeing one survivor troll another, then the troll dying alone is a win.

I'm just saying that you shouldnt go in expecting a 4k/amazing game. Ever. You should expect to do your best, and try, but ultimately just enjoy the game for what it is. A game.

Especially considering there is ZERO ranked/competetive system or rewards.