The 3.6.0 PTB is now live on Steam! For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/130916/
We are aware and looking into the issue which caused players to have their rank reset further than intended. If your rank was not reset at all this month, this is a visual bug and closing and re-opening the game should fix it.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

How often do you feel you actually outplayed opponents of equal skill?

Comments

• BigTimeGamerBigTimeGamer Member Posts: 193

Assuming two things; 1. not a Spirit where the "mindgame" is a weighted coin toss and 2. i dont get dedicated server'd then quite often, most players at Red ranks shouldn't be there

• DetailedDetrimentDetailedDetriment Member Posts: 498

Well, considering the only players of "equal skill" I ever go against are survivors because of broken matchmaking as a survivor, I typically 'outplay' a lot of them.

• illusionillusion Member Posts: 206

Rarely.

I get outplayed often, but it's usually because I am going up against someone that is more skilled than me.

This is more the case on the killer side. With matchmaking being so poor, I am often going against much lower rank survivors that I shouldn't be up against. During the few times that I am matched with players closer to my own rank, generally do much better, but that is rare.

As a survivor, I am usually matched with players, especially the killer, that are close to my rank. This can go either way. Often they can be more skilled than I am due to it being easier for survivors to rank up (ie. me being lower tier than I deserve), but other times it feels about equal in skill level. I like those latter games. I don't care if I don't survive. They earned the kill. I don't mind being outplayed by someone of similar skill level. On the other hand, I hate being bullied by those that have been playing much longer than I have.

I hope matchmaking gets fixed some day soon.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 1,545

Pretty much what the OP said, though it depends on the killer. I rarely feel like I outplayed opponents with M1 killers because I've had games go the other way. Once you have a frame of reference for how 4 good survivors run those killers, you look at them differently. At least I do.

• SonzaishinaiSonzaishinai Member Posts: 981

That's honestly the nature if this game. It's very momentum/snowball based

Close games are rare cause if one side starts to get going it's really hard to make a comeback

• FrenziedRoachFrenziedRoach Member Posts: 1,608

There are catch-up mechanics - you're just socially pressured not to use them.

• snozersnozer Member Posts: 488

What skill?

For a killer to be "outplayed" there needs to be some form of counterplay with the base mechanics of the game, and there isn't.

If a survivor knows the safe spots then the killer has already lost, everything is so safe in this game that it isn't funny.

• EchorionEchorion Member Posts: 1,672

I just ran a killer for 4 gens on the new map by using that counter area because there is literally no way you can get a survivor there if they have resilience until the entity blocks the vault.

Thing is you just time it and on the last one jump to another pallet loop, then come back and do it again, I did this till 4 gens were done. It was very easy, took minimal skill, just seeing a very safe spot and abusing it.

• BenZ0BenZ0 Member Posts: 1,347

Rarely because I get 80% of the time potatos that cant fast vault. And 19% of the time sweaty swf that genrush. Since the new matchmaking more and more ppl make it too red ranks and that kinda sucks honestly.

• PythonheirPythonheir Member Posts: 1,123
    edited January 23

Rarely. I put a disgusting amount of hours into learning the game, all the loops, all the tips and tricks. Just to be good at Killer and to rank up. I rarely ever lose mind games, and even measured the distance of my attacks, speed, and falls on all my Killers. Then I lose to potato's who teabag and harass you in end game chat, because they got away when I grabbed them, or they were saved by their 4 "get out of jail free card" perks. Like nothing is more unfun than watching 4 people run around like chickens with their heads cut off, and then just get to make so many mistakes for free and because of servers and bugs you lose because of it.

I literally had a match where a Meg anytime she went into a chase, that was too hard on her computer, there would be a half a second. Then she would just be gone. No where to be seen, and her scratch marks disappeared. Probably because she just rubber-banded back behind me, and is now taking off on a different route with a second helping of Sprint burst.

After that I had a match where a David dropped a pallet on the same side as me, and as I went to take the hit. I got stunned, and he got to jump the pallet for free. Why does a pallet stun me, when there is a survivor between me and the pallet?

Then directly after that I tried to grab a David off a generator that was near completion. Half way through the grab animation it was straight up canceled, and the David ran away. WHILE MY KILLER WAS STILL RECOVERING FROM THE GRAB ANIMATION.

Don't even get me started on the stupid hook tech that THEY LITERALLY ADDED BACK IN, being able to crouch and hide behind people hanging on hook, or simply crouching next to a hook to avoid an attack, because for some reason the dev's think it's a good idea to have an auto aim feature that always prioritizes the hook, and hooked survivor over the one directly in front of you. It's not. That's a dumb idea.

Then when I play Survivor. I hold m1 on a few generators, get them done in no time because of the easy af skill check. If my team is doing bad, I got loop the killer through easy af safe loops. Then either take the hatch, or the exit gate. Depending on IF I got hit at all. Omg so boring. I'm not surprised Killers are leaving.

These were literally my first three matches today, and i'm already done playing Killer for the day. So good job, you just gave yourself that much of an even longer waiting time for Survivor games.

• PythonheirPythonheir Member Posts: 1,123

Don't even get me started on the new Lery's map. UGH. It looks great, the attention to detail is amazing beyond belief. But they didn't need to turn the map into a second Iron Works. Before you actually needed skill to run the loops as survivor. Now it's just "Oh I know these god loops spawn here, so I will just run there first any time the killer even shows their face". Even then if ya'll run low on pallets (because you never run out of pallets - ever, that was and will always be a lie). You can always just run to the office, which is always conveniently near the center of the map, so you may have to take a hit, but you're gonna get there anyways.

• ClickyClickyClickyClicky Member Posts: 1,413

That’s why I stopped using NOED a long time ago. It never felt rewarding or like I outplayed the opponents. The kills just felt like freebies.

I fee more like I outplayed them with mindgames at loops. That’s probably why I find the weaker killers more fun ironically. Its harder to get a hit with a standard killer than say Spirit, Freddy or Hag who all have ways to either teleport or slow the survivor

• Getya_MadGetya_Mad Member Posts: 20

I dont have a clue yet DBD Devs, when I que up its either really good reds and purples or low level new guys that I crush.....How about you guys actually LISTEN to the community and fix this broke ass game...

• AWildLukeAWildLuke Member Posts: 8

It has happened to me as a killer, but not really often, it's more of a bad matchmaking case OR when I'm playing Huntress, wich I'm not good at it btw so I end up missing a bunch of hatchets and losing (but I'm aware it's because I'm bad, not because they're good). If I knew how to run loops more correctly I could play her more efficiently. The other m1 killers I can play fairly good, but I'm really a non-sweaty killer so I barely ever slug or go against the person who just got unhooked; being nice, though, has cost me a few games; doesnt really bother me if I got all 4 juicy bbq stacks.

As a survivor, it depends. There's a few killers I dont know how to go against properly. A good hillbilly, for instance, can beat me up really fast. But most m1 killers I feel like a play against fairly decent. However, these days what has really getting me killed most of matches is bad teammates. Like people who go down almost instantly against a legion or a clown. Since the update I think I escaped once. I'm purple ranks and I dont feel like everyone should be this boosted in here (like running TOWARDS the killer after I unhooked them, even though they just saw the killer going on that direction). So not really outplayed, but mostly losing because its NOT a 1x1 game and doesnt matter how good you are, if one or all your teammates are bad, theres just so much you can do.

• FleshTorpedoFleshTorpedo Member Posts: 394

All the time when I play Hag, you have to mind game and control the flow of survivors movements throughout the map. The number of red rank survivors that dont know how to deal with a hag and her traps is astounding. Then there is the odd match were I get an SWF that is well coordinated and know exactly how to deal with a hag and her traps.That's when you have to focus loopers onto hooks to pull off their gen players and start slugging/tradding hook savers or getting their less skilled loopers into chases if they are not playing immersed Claudette .Knowing the exact space to to place traps apart to teleport attack on cool down in a path the survivor has to run to either escape a chase or reach an objective/hooked survivor is necessary at high ranks. Getting d/c in first 30 seconds because you funneled a survivor into your traps spaced correctly is very satisfying.

But hags teleport attacks are currently bugged from patch 3.5.0 so ive been playing more Oni and Freddy since the patch. Mind gaming with Oni has really shown me that a good portion of red rank survivors are boosted. dont know how to loop, and have no spacial awareness. Ive been having a lot of fun just stopping mid loop at a high wall with Oni, waiting a second or two for the survivor to turn around and run right into me since they hardly pay attention to sounds. Oni is the largest most audible killer in game, and they just run right into him, oblivious of this angry large ass samurai.

• Withered8Withered8 Member Posts: 30

When I play nurse, spirit or huntress I feel like I can beat any survivors. Pig and Freddy to a degree. As for survivor I’ve been in so many games where the killer downs us pretty fast yet still looses the game because of one slightly long chase they have had with someone.

• HoodiedHoodied Member Posts: 8,836

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't

and sometimes I will never know because matchmaking

• WaffleyumboyWaffleyumboy Member Posts: 4,731

Ikr they call it toxic and meta...homie, I'm just tryna survive chill dog

• NamelessNameless Member Posts: 233

I always feel like I outplayed the other side when I tunnel a survivor off the hook with a morie or tbag the hatch and leave the game earlier with one or two other survivor friends by using a key. I'm just too skilled for them!

• EclipseDarkstarEclipseDarkstar Member Posts: 46

I play Identity V somewhat actively, and the way it handles win conditions has rubbed off on me. One kill is a loss, two kills is a draw, and three or four is a win. Really simple, but it's just a shame that it's so hard against good teams to even secure what I'd class as a draw. If I win I can very rarely say it's because I outplayed the survivors, just because survivors are in many ways required to outplay themselves to fail at doing all five generators before they all die. Without Ruin it's become laughable to expect a gen or two not to go by your first hook, and if that doesn't happen, you can safely assume that the team has no idea how the game works.

And because of my experience as a killer main (clocking in at about 2400 hours of game time between both sides), the fun in playing survivor has kinda been sucked away. Either my team and I win because the gens fly by, and I feel bad for the killer and the stress they've likely endured, or we all die because one or two of my random teammates didn't know how to hold mouse 1 and occasionally hit space. It's just a series of eye rolls at this point because either way I don't feel any sense of pride as a survivor player.

PS. Ruin was never hard to counter. Either hit the skill checks properly like you have the innate capability to do, or go find the hex and break it. Same with NoEd. Hex perks are all complete jokes, and it's just sad that the only one worth a damn is now an even bigger joke.

• ermsyermsy Member Posts: 296

I either completely destroy the survivors or get absolutely destroyed by them...I can't remember the last time I've had a "competitive" game.

• EleaticStrangerEleaticStranger Member Posts: 61

I am rank 13 killer. Almost always, I am matched against SWFs at red or purple ranks. I'm happy if I get 4 stacks on BBQ. Usually I get 0 or 1 kills. I probably average between 1 and 2 kills because I do perform better in the occasional matches with survivors of comparable rank.

So many questions about this game, like the new Ruin change or anything based on a principle of "balance" between killers and survivors, are betrayed by false assumptions. I really like the guiding question of this thread. It made me realize how infrequently I encounter "players of equal skill" because the matchmaking system is so terribly broken.

• NEVELEVEN11NEVELEVEN11 Member Posts: 141
    edited January 23

For me, as a hag main, i dont expect survivors to trip a phantasm trap near a gen. I figured everyone knows how to avoid it. But im always proven wrong. They always trip a trap. If im too far to teleport i just pay attention to the direction the trap is staring and go where i think the survivor will end up. Never fails. So id say no. Even against top tier opponents i rarely ever lose a match. And i place the failings of survivors on themselves.

As a survivor, Ace main, its a coin toss. I either do really good or am thefirst person sacrificed.

• SpookyJeffSpookyJeff Member Posts: 102

With matchmaking how it is now, I maybe 3k-4k 40% of the time, black PiP 2K/1K 40% of the time, and dePiP 20% or lower. I PiP as survivor in about 80% of matches, survive about 50-60% of them.

To me, a good win on either side is after a good back-and-forth with momentum the whole match. I want to chase constantly/be chased a few times and win some/lose some. I want to escape on death hook/catch someone near the gates and hook them up, or run around the whole time doing gens and saves with perfect map positioning/keep good pressure up across the map. Those games are rare, but very satisfying. Hell, even if I lose, a good match leaves me a bit disappointed, but wholly entertained. I also learn the most from close matches with similarly-skilled opponents.

• FrankSRfromITFrankSRfromIT Member Posts: 59

Not very often, I have been playing the game for about a month(I know, late to the game. haha), mostly as a Killer, and I am being matched up with people that are way better than me. I will say I do feel I have gotten better, getting more games where I will get 1 or 2k, and have had a couple of 3 and 4k but most nights I am playing against rank 9-12's and I am a 17. The other night I had a couple 4's in my game.......that was definitely not even.

• ToastfaceKillaToastfaceKilla Member Posts: 423

Keep at it, killer is hard and I don't think I or many other players "Git gud" till a few hundred hours at least. It rewarding though.

• HuntarHuntar Member Posts: 673

I think the only killers I feel like I outplay survivors with any regularity are Michael, Ghostface, or Hag. Everyone else either feels like the power is either too weak or too impactful. At least with those three, it feels like the way the match goes works entirely off of how well you choose to use their power, and there's an actual choice to their power.

For survivors, I'm so bad that I never feel like I've outplayed someone. It always just feels like a matter of luck if I survive a match.

• WateryWatery Member Posts: 1,102

Sometimes, and when it happens I’m usually in awe.

Some killers mains are super impressive, and if I get destroyed/tunneled that’s on me, at that point.

Good Legions and Pigs surprise me the most.

• Kind_LemonKind_Lemon Member Posts: 711

Most often, my "good" games consist of me just applying so much pressure or annoyance (through perks, add-ons, w/e) that the survivors break.

I only ever feel good about my games when I

A. don't think too hard about what kinds of actions I'm limiting survivors into doing

B. I am given powerful tools and incredible agency, but am surprised by an action or play and fail to use my brain to capitalize on it fully in the moment. Additionally, I manage to catch survivors who have powerful tools off guard and force them into making stupid or bad decisions that stay with them for the rest of the game. These games usually are 4ks or 3ks with an intense end (no thanks to the EGC).

I have only once felt truly pleased by a 0k, and there was top notch trash talk from the solo survivors afterwards.

In either role, a war of attrition is never fun, and I am constantly displeased by the limited options I have in terms of beneficial stealth and non-altruism.

• TotallyNotADocMainTotallyNotADocMain Member Posts: 2

Honestly not often. Been playing 2+ years and my older brother was watching me just constantly cut survivors off and predict their movements. His words " are ya just gonna keep reading her like a book?". Honestly pipping past green ranks should be harder. I'm currently a purple rank survivor and quickly gaining rank.