We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

The Hillbilly Problem

Comments

• yermomyermom Member Posts: 155

I agree that hillbilly does require some skill, but if you dedicate time to practicing different magnitudes of turning sensitivity, you can learn him pretty quickly. As survivor, I find him frustrating, but not unfair by any means. What seems unfair to me is that survivors don't have any cool downs.

• illusionillusion Member Posts: 239

It's funny how the Ruin nerf got everyone talking about map pressure, now we are going to talk about nerfing one of the few killers that can actually apply some good map pressure? Yeah, that's going to sit well with killers. 🙄

I have never played Billy. I have seen videos of him being played countless times, and played against him countless times. I see much better players than me struggle with his turns, so I imagine that it is even tougher for newer players. He's great at maps with a lot of open area, not so great on other maps.

As survivor, just stay out of his way. If you want to teabag him at a pallet, you do so at your own risk. 🙂

• anarchy753anarchy753 Member Posts: 2,111

Amazingly the game should be balanced around all killers having the potential to pressure the map, rather than having one killer with near infinite map control making global changes impossible because he'd be even more broken with it.

• illusionillusion Member Posts: 239

Yes, it would be nice to have killers having the ability to control maps equally, albeit by different methods, but that would take a lot of reworking, so we won't be seeing that anytime soon, if ever.

Also, as I mentioned, he is great on open maps, but not so great on other maps. There are a lot better killers for indoor maps, for example, where his turn radius is a huge problem.

You don't nerf a character because he/she is better in certain situations than others, especially when the talking points for the last week or so are how killers are supposed to apply map pressure on these huge maps. When the other problems get fixed, then they can look at him and evaluate. A nerf would just be another band-aid fix that ignores the larger problems.

• BenZ0BenZ0 Member Posts: 1,381

You should't count that much on the describtion of the Killers. They say Legion is not easy... and Legion has the most braindead power in the game. Same goes to hag, they say she is a hard Killer but it is very easy to learn her. Just place traps on hooks and loops and that it, everyone who played more then 10 hours should know that loops are good trapping spots...

• NoShinyPonyNoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,274

That's not logic. The bigger the map, the bigger the difference between Billy and, let's say, Trapper.

If the devs would make maps smaller and killers would need to travel shorter distances between gens, hooks etc., the difference between Billy and Trapper would become less significant.

Smaller maps would not make Billy "more broken". Is Billy broken on Coal Tower, for example? Clearly not.

• anarchy753anarchy753 Member Posts: 2,111

Did I say "smaller maps" or global changes?

There've been countless discussions about secondary objective and such that would globally give killers more breathing room, which would give slower setup killers a bit more time work with, but would push Billy even further ahead if his mobility still allowed him to pressure both objectives. If Billy is brought in line with the same form of balance as every other killer, it makes universal changes much less polarising between the killer cast.

People complained about Ruin on high pressure killers so it got nerfed. Who does it hurt? The lower tier killers.

• Fog_KingFog_King Member Posts: 161

My only problem with The Hillbilly is about his movement with the chainsaw. He can just go from one side of the map to the other, very fast, with no real cooldown period. This, paired with chilly, for example, makes him a very good killer, but no other killer can do that. Sure, Freddy can teleport to gens or Demo can use portals, but both of them have cooldowns and are tied to something, while Hillbilly is not. I would either shorten the distance he can travel with the chainsaw or put a cooldown on it, but the second option would actually impact his hits on a chase, so I think shorten the distance would be a better choice.

• EndstilleEndstille Member Posts: 1,509

Tell me how many counters to bbq are in the game? Literally potatoes telling billy where to go doesnt make him good and just survivors bad.

• Warcrafter4Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 238

Your main issue with billy is the entire point of billy.

He's expose to be the fast one out of combat while being looped into oblivion as a M1 killer as he can't realistically use his chain saw in most loops other then to break pallets slightly faster then normal.

If you remove his mobility he becomes a worse bubba.

If its put on a cooldown then he's a worse oni.

• PepsidotPepsidot Member Posts: 104
    edited January 24

'The extent of "outplaying" a Billy comes down to guessing the coin toss of 'does he go left or right?'

If you play well, you're not always going to be in this position. As long as there's a window nearby, I can often force a billy to M1 unless he's using bamboozle.

Either that or hide behind an object if he's trying to chainsaw long range. Unless the Billy plays well and forces me out of position, the only other time he'll chainsaw me is if he's literally revving up his chainsaw right behind me.

• PigMainClaudettePigMainClaudette Member Posts: 1,004

No I didn't actually. It's just a thought that I've had for a while after versing Billies like PC Reds versed old Nurse and playing him myself multiple times to see what all the fuss is about.

edited January 24

I can loop. I don't need to learn.

Can I loop like Noob, Monto or Odz? No. And I never will.

So stop coming to me with this logical falliacy. I am tired of hearing it. It has no constructive merit and is only used as a stalling tactic or something to derail serious conversation.

Post edited by Rizzo90 on
  • EndstilleEndstille Member Posts: 1,509

Ah okay hard to believe cause billy can be looped and there is nothing really special to it aside from checking on him, if he goes for a curve, mindgame so I really do not understand why you do have any issues with him.

Nobody needs to be any of the one you did mention in order to escape from billy in dbd. 🤷

• CallmehandsomeCallmehandsome Member Posts: 114

I think you are just a bad survivor. I challenged you earlier to down me with your hillbilly, which you declined. So clearly hillbilly is not as easy as you claim (and you know it). My challenge is still on the table. I can run most hillbillies easy specially if there are god loops

• xllxENIGMAxllxxllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 918

Your opinion is not worth hearing if you can't even play at red ranks. US red ranks know how Hillbilly is overrated but potatoes that's the difference between red ranks and the rest.

Curving need a lot of skill and can be countered like pretty every of his technics. Yesterday i've played against a R1 Hillbilly who knows how to flick and everything and looped him into oblivion but my team was bad so we lost. So please as a matter respect don't talk about high level play when you're not yourself please.

• shmoulshmoul Member Posts: 83

Alright, let's go KYF. I bet you I can juke your point-blank chainsaw more than 50% of the time.

Ok, elitist.

I can play at red ranks, but I myself am not a red rank due to time limiations, and getting camped by bad green rank killers due to poor matchmaking.

Enough clarification? Are you contempt with continuing to tear apart the community with your toxic attitude? Feel good about yourself for "sHoWiNg A pLeBiAn HiS pLaCe?"

I said that I don't want to be a red rank, because I take this game casually and they are way too sweaty as a whole. I am a rank 5 survivor, and I'll push to red to say I've hit red, but it doesn't feel like I've accomplished anything. It only feels like I've spent more time than I need to into one side to achieve this rank that doesn't really mean anything and will be taken away within a few weeks.

• MarcusMarcus Member Posts: 1,773

You don't even need to try that hard, Billy will definitely get nerfed soon anyway.

• xllxENIGMAxllxxllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 918

Elitist is not the word but still red ranks have 90% of potatoes it's why the survival rate is very low. Hillbilly being a played godly is very rare same goes for spirit and nurse. Saying Hillbilly is OP clearly come from the player. I'm not a god survivor but can smash a lot of very good hillbilly, HE the most balanced killer but lethal at the right hands and survivors don't like that.

I did not say once that he is OP or needs a nerf. I said quite the opposite. I even said what we need to BRING LITERALLY EVERY OTHER KILLER to the level of Hillbilly.

And I said that he has a very low skill floor for such a high reward, and this is a problem.

If it did not come across this way, then i genuinely apologise.

• AvilgusAvilgus Member Posts: 259

*The viable killer problem.

I can do one of these for every killer, but 90% of them will be about the people who play them.

And FFS, I DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH VIABLE KILLERS. I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH LOW EFFORT KILLERS GETTING HIGH REWARDS.

I acknowledge that there are high-skill Billies, but that is the ceiling, not the floor.