Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Why is Nurse such a rare killer to go against now?

Comments

• Archimedes5000Archimedes5000 Member Posts: 1,589
    edited January 2020

Yes, exactly, you can put time and effort and get no reward. Thats the exact reason no one plays her. But that does not mean its completly impossible to learn her. And that she is 2nd strongest after you learn her.

• LlamaArmourLlamaArmour Member Posts: 75

Oh ok I meant are the kills averaged out. I still believe its due to her high skill cap and also because she's less fun to play.

You can disagree that her power is game breaking, but it still is. The whole premise of the chase is that survivors have limited defences against the killer I.e. pallets and windows. Introducing a killer that can completely ignore these is game breaking. Whether you think it's powerful/fair/fun or not, she completely changes the rules of the game. I hope that you understand what I mean now.

Referring to my original post, Nurse is an example of why you can't balance based on the best of the best because when played correctly there is no escape. Oh you found a pallet? Shame that won't be useful. A window? Nope, still not useful. You broke LOS? Let me catch LOS once and you're dead (I'm talking at the highest level, not an average or even a good player). Balancing for the good players means that the best Nurses have a huge advantage.

I agree that she had mind game potential. I also think that the amount of potential she had was disproportionate to the downside she had (due to the reasons I said above).

Whether or not you have seen her played to her potential is another question entirely. I know I have. I also know that there are still Nurses that agree she is fine balance wise, with the only problem being the fun factor (which is a very valid point, just doesn't equal balance). This group of people is mostly made up of people that are proficient with Nurse, and also people that understand the game, and how powerful she is.

• cipherbay_cipherbay_ Member Posts: 344

She is unfun to play as. Im happy with the add on changes but the cooldown was not necessary. If the cooldown was removed i would pick her up

• LlamaArmourLlamaArmour Member Posts: 75

I can agree that you can have more consistent results with Spirit or Billy. I also know for a fact that as soon as Nurse was toned down, she disappeared. I have literally seen maybe 4 Nurses max and I play pretty much every day, and this is starting from day one of the nerf, not a gradual decrease in player numbers. Surely this shows that people aren't willing to put the time in any more? Ruin is completely different. You could push through it/hit all greats/gen tap/break the totem. There were many ways to counter it; but that's a whole other debate.

To respond to your responses.

A) see my suggestion for change in my last post.

However, old Nurse was nowhere near as hard to learn lol are you serious? Before you could just blink to the nearest LOS blocker, if you don't see them then rinse and repeat until you do. Now that you need to be more careful with your blinks this isn't always a viable option which equals a higher learning curve.

C) so can she or can she not blink through pallets, walls and windows, which are ultimately all of a survivors defences? Just because you haven't seen a top tier Nurse doesn't mean they don't exist.

D) like I said, the whole reason she was nerfed is that she could bypass defences too easily whilst not having enough of a drawback. Giving her extra blinks is not the way to fix this. I'm pretty sure most people think that base Nurse was fine because 2 blinks max give the survivor a chance to escape. Any more than that and you can blink to the nearest LOS blocker, blink to make sure they're going the way you predict, then finally blink onto them if you were right.

Like I said in my previous post to you, what about if she had her previous base kit but only when out of chase? That way she would retain her map pressure, but it keeps her chase potential from being too high (outright deadly in the wrong hands).

• Farshad7913Farshad7913 Member Posts: 58

Because mastering her is really really hard, i could say she is the hardest one to master. She always was but now if you mess up you just lose the chase, its not fun to lose 2 gens just because you missed one attack and got asthma for 10 seconds is it? Those who mastered her before the nerf are the ones slaying.

• InfckingcredibleInfckingcredible Member Posts: 145

Even if you are good with nurse, it's not fun to spend 1/3 of the match stunned. It just feels so clunky. Besides that, bugs won't speak for playing her either (i.e. blink doesn't always work but you get stunned after it failed - even in an completely open field).

And yeah, if you're bad with nurse... One miss and you can't catch up for a long time

• LegionGhostfaceLegionGhostface Member Posts: 161

i agree sm with this. it does take much more practice to reach her skill cap and it can be frustrating for a lot of people including me when i was learning her, but even with her i purposely play as her against swf teams and completely dominate them including popular streamers who are actually veterans at the game. not that it matters, but it does show that actual skilled nurses who have great muscle memory with her can't be avoided.if you were already a skilled nurse prior to her nerf and had no trouble with her gameplay, then you will most likely still not feel that much of a disadvantage while playing her.

• EvilJoshyEvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,296
    edited January 2020

TL:DR

She got nerfed pretty hard but it won't affect the people who were good with her before that patch. Now she's so unforgiving people don't want to learn her. The majority of this community wants it easy, both sides.

The problem with any gaming community is the mentality. When the meta gets nerfed it could be a minor change that hardly affects it. But if someone says "Oh this character isnt viable anymore" then the group tends to believe what was said without actually trying it out themselves.

It's gaming in general. What my buddies from FF11 used to call "Victims of Strategy Guides" Instead of playing a game and figuring out what works, they go to twitch or youtube and copy someone else.

yeah, i think her cooldown for her blinks should be removed especially because of the limitless amount of glitches and bugs that come with it.

• HoodiedHoodied Member Posts: 12,908

Lemme pull up my list of why I don't play nurse on console

-Hits that should have hit but don't

-If a survivor is running in a straight line, you are not catching up to them, even with blinks

-UR add-ons suck

-All but cooldown add-ons suck

-That weird blink bug still exists where you hear the blink sound repeat until used

-Did I mention hits that should have hit but don't?

ok console makes sense, i played on console for a long time and it’s actually impossible to play her with everything wrong with dbd on console

• AwakeyAwakey Member Posts: 3,145

Because she's not fun to play as.

• AcromioAcromio Member Posts: 1,737

Why would anyone sane play a killer that gets countered by just running in a straight line?

not true you will eventually catch up to that person and it won’t even take that long at all.

• AChaoticKillerAChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

She had always been a killer who needed a high level of skill to play, the nerf made it take even more skill to play her while also making it very punishing for missing any blink. With nothing to balance this out old nurse players and new players dont want to play her since she is both frustrating and hard to learn and play.

• Hex_ToasterBathHex_ToasterBath Member Posts: 38

See, a little fact is that Nurse mains are the smartest, and after this bs with the game, they knew to quit.

i do think a nerf was needed, probably for her addons that allowed her to have like 5 blinks. but the nerf to her blinks that come with cool downs make it so aggravating to play as her. she can’t play a game without having her blinks glitched and being unable to do anything

• TunnelVisionTunnelVision Member Posts: 1,372

Why bother putting the time in to a skilled killer to then have the devs gut it. All that hard work for nothing.

• EvilJoshyEvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,296

It ain't exactly the first time the devs have done this......

• TunnelVisionTunnelVision Member Posts: 1,372

Exactly, better off just sticking with a standard M1 killer. Better still, Oni. Easy to use and very satisfying when you go on a rampage.

• FreudentraumaFreudentrauma Member Posts: 1,050

I think, it's a combination of recent bugs/issues and how unfun it is to play to deal with two Cooldowns now.

What also plays a role is the huge amount of killers we now have. So a variety killer player will have less opportunity to pick nurse over others especially because she is is hard to master.

• CrimbojamboCrimbojambo Member Posts: 81
  • DBD_PinheadDBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

That's 10 seconds of time that adds up that you don't have getting constantly punished for using her power.

nurse isn’t that bad tho imo, yeah she has some obvious downsides that need to be fixed because they’re filled with a bunch of bugs, but she’s strong if you’re good with her

• ThisGuuy83ThisGuuy83 Member Posts: 1,303

Because she's 💩💩💩 now.

it takes me less than 8-10 seconds to down someone if i find them (after first hit). sure, map could have a possible effect including if they have dead hard but this goes back to my point that once you’ve met nurse’s skill cap, ur basically playing as the best player in the game who can constantly teleport.

• TodgeweihtTodgeweiht Member Posts: 3,666

not true, her nerf did create some problems including unavoidable bugs but i’m talking about her overall power and ability. she has the potential to be a rlly good killer.