Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

So i'm wondering how much sway does Netease have now.

2»

Comments

• T4ank3dT4ank3d Member Posts: 32

I appreciate the sentiment. I find it appalling that when someone really takes the time to address points being made in someones post they are dismissed as someone angry, frustrated and should play a different game.

It's always a knee slapper when others can't respond to the points being made. So they choose to instead, respond to the person.

• PulsarPulsar Member Posts: 12,519

I appreciate your response.

My calling out of the Devs, I should have elaborated more. I said to them, I don't like the direction you are taking this game, the Doc rework doesn't look good, I think the Ruin changes are unhealthy, you appear to be biased towards Survivor and you killed a perk. I didn't make an argument, I told them what I thought.

They responded, clarified a few things and explained their reasoning. Am I happy with the Ruin changes? No, I am not. I am pleased with the Doc rework though.

Again, they directly addressed me. I remained respectful and civil, but I basically said I thought their ideas were garbage.

Your inability to even consider my points tells me you have been feeling this way for quite some time. This, like with many, is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

I have addressed your points, but I also realize there is no swaying you from them. You are set in your opinion, that the Devs are only interested in the further monetization of the game. I am equally as set in my opinion that the Devs may not always make the best decisions, but they do genuinely care about the game.

There are absolutely games that exist only for profit these days, and I am glad people are wising up to that, however; I maintain my belief that this is not one of them.

• AlsendDrakeAlsendDrake Member Posts: 103

Netease runs Identity V as well, so I doubt they'd want to also micromanage DbD and basically compete with themselves.

• WateryWatery Member Posts: 1,123
    edited January 2020

OP, if you’re worried about NetEase, I wouldn’t bother.

Taking a look at a marketing paper on this, NetEase invested in BHVR, not a whole corporate partnership.

They may get some shares or a stake depending on how the deal laid out, but it was labeled as an investment in the paper I am reading, so I assume it was in regards to Stock.

To quote the article itself, it states:

Following this investment, Montreal-based Behaviour will continue to operate independently under the leadership of Rémi Racine, its President and Executive Producer, and NetEase Games will nominate a director to Behaviour's Board.

As you can clearly see, this indicates NetEase games doesn’t have any involvement in regards to the game itself, but rather, is providing funding. It would make sense to have someone present at the board, most companies (especially, investors) have people to monitor the progress of the company (BHVR), and report back to NetEase with how things are going, which in most cases, it’s not inputting as much funding, or if at all if a product isn’t doing so well, they can withdraw funding entirely.

This has been happening since July, or at least was made public knowledge, however; the only thing discounting against the source is that it is by NetEase, and placed on a PR website. However it is officiated by the contact information provided, one being VP of BHVR’s communication department.

Here’s the article I was mentioning.

Also; to clarify, I am by no means affiliated with BHVR nor NetEase; the company’s internal affairs is beyond me because marketing papers can only do so much for me.

Hope this helps to ease your worries OP!

Edit1: Added a new sentence to expand on my thinking. It’s in italics.

Edit2, Reflections: Saying that just it was just a director isn’t exactly great either however, but I believe that in this case, the board executives are more collaborative and work together towards a common goal. I would say they’d have a little sway, but not very much. It is an investment known as a minority stake, which is less than 50% of the enterprise itself. With the gross BHVR got from last year alone, (130 million dollars) a share likely went to NetEase. Not to mention, this isn’t the only company NetEase has invested in last year and this year, in fact, they did invest in Bungie (the creators of Detroit Become Human).

It would likely be a lesser investment however due to NetEase being a primarily Chinese company; which in this case, video games in China are being weirdly affected by their censorship laws- in this case, DBD is graphic; and has banned Blood and Corpses, which in this case, there’s a lot- take Hawkins, Mori’s, and the injured state. Basically, the game may be at odds with the stringent censorship laws in China, so NetEase likely is investing in BHVR for the sake of gross (money), and contributions would likely have to be on the American Branch of NetEase. Since DBD is rising in terms of sales, and one of the larger game development companies in Northern America, there likely is a lot more investment in that regard.

Post edited by Watery on