The 3.6.0 PTB is now live on Steam! For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/130916/
We are aware and looking into the issue which caused players to have their rank reset further than intended. If your rank was not reset at all this month, this is a visual bug and closing and re-opening the game should fix it.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/

Why am I suddenly getting 30-40 FPS after I did NOTHING?

TophatDudeTophatDude Member Posts: 15

Hey there guys, just trying to figure out whats going on with my computer here. Always got a solid 60 fps on DbD until recently. At first when I noticed it, if I took it out of Fullscreen it would go back to 60 fps. After researching, I ended up booting to safe mode and uninstalling the drivers with DDU, then reinstalling and it worked. Then after a NVidia update, I find myself in the same situation, but this time if I take DbD to windowed mode it doesn't help. DDU doesn't fix it, uninstalling doesn't fix it, playing off of my HDD instead of my SSD doesn't fix it, validating files doesn't.... WHATS GOING ON?

Any ideas guys? Would love to hear anything.

Specs -

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/TophatCrusader/saved/#view=N24gJx

Thanks.

Answers

• forthelulzforthelulz Member Posts: 97

What resolution and in-game quality & nvidia 3d settings are you using?

I'd use something to monitor your CPU / GPU temp & usage levels while playing to see what they're at to help narrow it down. You don't want them to be very close to max, and especially not maxed out.

• TophatDudeTophatDude Member Posts: 15

I'm playing at 2K at full quality through the in game menu.

My CPU runs around 20-40% and my GPU runs close to 70-80% - if I remember right. Changing settings increases FPS by like 3 FPS. I wouldn't think it's the hardware, as my setup should easily be able to play this at max settings.

Thanks for the response. Any other ideas?

C

Oh and I suppose I should mention, this slow down is ONLY in DbD. Not in other games i play, like PUBG or COD or Rocket League. Still getting max performance there.

I would use task manager and it's performance tab so you can quickly see CPU GPU etc while playing for a few minutes to make sure of those numbers with current settings just to make sure.

I'll check that out tonight. I did that a few nights ago and I'm pretty sure of those numbers though. What's the next step if the numbers are right?

Quick example from game I just played. I left it running and then after a few minutes of play quickly alt-tab and either look quickly or take a screen shot.

Nvidia Inspector has more info for the GPU but task manager is an easy way to see if anything is maxed out.

A note, I'm playing it off of my G Drive, D drive had something else going. Definitely not maxed.

Only 17% CPU usage that's pretty impressively low lol

Is this just after your FPS drops? Maybe try and leave it running until that happens and then take a look. Is there anything in NVCPL under 3d settings that you've changed from default?

The FPS I suppose isn't really a drop. Its more like it now runs at a standard 40 FPS. I have tried a few changes on NVCPL to see if it does anything, to no avail. I have since returned it to default.

Damn that's extremely weird, now I'm really curious lol

Did you make any edits to GameUserSettings.ini or Engine.ini? If so what were they?

What resolution are you running at?

I assume other games are running well?

Right? lol yeah its got me confused for sure. No edits that I know of to those files. Running at 2K. All other games are running nice and crisp.

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 1,417

Try using DDU to roll back to the previous driver. You should be able to download the old one that worked from nVidias website.

Hey man - Nope going back to the old graphics driver did not solve the issue.

• Lost_in_the_FogLost_in_the_Fog Member Posts: 402

You're not alone. Same problem here. Guess this will be the thing to that breaks my DBD addiction.

• KhaineGBKhaineGB Member, Mod Posts: 1,417

Ok, i'm really confused too. Worse case that usually solves any kind of FPS issue.

Right, next dumb idea. Let the geforce experience "optimize" the game for you and see if that works. I have to do that on my laptop for some reason.

Right? Its very strange... Especially how it onset suddenly, you'd think its a driver issue.

Unfortunately the optimize didn't work either.