The 3.6.0 PTB is now live on Steam! For full details, click here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/130916/
We are aware and looking into the issue which caused players to have their rank reset further than intended. If your rank was not reset at all this month, this is a visual bug and closing and re-opening the game should fix it.
We have updated our Forum Rules. Please take a moment to read through them: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/87004/
Please note: Although we may stop by occasionally, this is not a developer Q&A.

Is the DC penalty supposed to be so long? + What are some tips to prevent crashing

I was playing killer and was having a friendly match, all 5 of us were just goofing around and not playing seriously. I DC'ed as a joke (because they body blocked me into a corner, this was also near the end of the game so they still got plenty of BP) and i got a 12ish minute penalty for it. This is only my second DC penalty (i got one yesterday for crashing, which sucks but i know that it is to prevent people who would abuse it by pulling the plug on their PC or internet), is it really supposed to climb up that high that fast? Is this intentional?? No offense but that seems really long for only a second DC in 24 hours if it is supposed to be that high.

How long does it take for it to 'decay' as stated in the update? I guess i'm just concerned because SO many people have issues with this game crashing even on perfectly fine internet and lowest graphic settings. That's kind of scary for people who might crash more than once in 24 hours.

Obviously I've learned my lesson not to intentionally DC, but what about the crashing issue... I have a decent gaming PC but still have to play on low quality to avoid bluescreening and overheating, i still crash at least once a day though and that's even with spacing out my sessions so my game isn't running for hours and hours on end. Are there any tips to help that so i dont rack up a huge penalty?

Answers

• FibijeanFibijean Member, Trusted Posts: 5,928
    edited February 13

I don't believe it's been officially confirmed how long it takes to decay completely, but I think it's 24 hours after your last penalty expires.

I don't think you're supposed to get a 15 minute penalty for your second DC, though. I would report it as a bug if I were you (https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/bug-reports) and hopefully a mod or dev will be able to clarify whether it's an intended feature or not.

Also, if you're having problems with your game crashing consistently and are unsure of the cause, I would advise you to create a post about it in the Technical Issues subforum (https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/technical-issues) and see if someone there can help you.

Post edited by Fibijean on
  • MandyTalkMandyTalk Mod, Co-ordinator Posts: 5,240

We are not announcing the decay rate of the DC system - in order to avoid people abusing it.

If you're PC is overheating and crashing, that's not down to the game but your PC I'm afraid and I suggest looking at better cooling systems for your PC, changing thermal paste, getting the fans cleaned out etc.

• spaghetti0spaghetti0 Member Posts: 3

MandyTalk I havent had my PC overheat or blue screen ever since switching to lower graphics settings, I'm not sure why but DbD is the only game I have the problem with. I've solved the overheating issue but the game itself still crashes daily and every one of my gaming friends has the same issue. Just like the overheating problem, DbD is again the only program on computer that crashes so frequently. I've actually crashed again since writing the post but didnt bother seeing how long the penalty jumped to that time, I just gave up playing for the night.

I still dont know if 12 minutes after 2 DCs is intentional, I looked through the bug threads but didnt see anything about it so I might make a post like Fibijean suggested. I'll keep looking online for any fix to the constant crashing but so far nothing's worked :(

edited February 13

You do get harsh penalties for the DC'ing, so yes those times do sound about right..the penalty goes up steeply, so I can confirm - those times are not a bug.