Home PTB Feedback Archives 3.6.0 PTB Gameplay Feedback

Death Slinger | Suggestions

NMCKENMCKE Member Posts: 7,230
Prologue

I been watching a ton of YouTube videos and streamers — seeing if he's good and taking into account of the player's skill level.

After looking at many player's attempts, I believe Death Slinger needs some drastic changes.

Death Slinger

Necessary Changes: These are needed, there's no debate here.

Optional Changes: Some of these changes might be necessary, it depends on what fits the best.

Necessary Changes

1. Increase TR to 32 meters.
  2. Increase M2 range to 32 meters.
  3. Increase movement speed to 115%.

Or

1. Keep him at 110%, but the majority of optional changes become necessary changes.

Reasoning:

1.) Giving survivors counterplay to his M2 power (he can M2 you if you're in his TR) and putting him inline with other 115% killers.

2.) Increasing the M2 range to 32 meters should allow players to be more creative with their shots. This isn't powerful because survivors will have ample time to break the chain.

3.) His power isn't powerful enough to warrant a lower movement speed, this should be what separates him from Huntress.

Death Slinger V Huntress Arguement

Optional Changes

1. Increase chain strength.
  2. Increase pull speed.
  3. Revisit some add-ons.
  4. Change M2 into a hit scan attack.
  5. Injured survivors suffer a penalty when hit by M2 (can't resist as much).
  6. M2 can pull survivors over pallets (@ScottJund's idea)

Since these are optional, I won't explain my reasoning because I'm just spitballing some ideas here. I'm not sure if any of these are needed, it's just something for the community to think on.

Community Consensus:

Keep him 110% but to justify it, drastically buff his M2 ability.

Epilogue

Hopefully, these will make Death Slinger more of a threat for survivors who don't take him seriously from afar while keeping him balanced for both sides. 😁

Post edited by NMCKE on

Comments

• RaccoonRaccoon Member Posts: 3,195

I'd rather see anything than another power that applies deep wound.

• AnimatorAnimator Member Posts: 262

Pretty interesting suggestions. I wonder what the developers will say.

• BigBubsBigBubs Member Posts: 1,131
    edited February 19

oops

• PokemonGOPlayerPokemonGOPlayer Member Posts: 154

I disagree, I think the Killer is punished by the stun for long shots on injured Survivors as it is almost impossible to reel correctly and get a down, plus due to projectile travel speed the range increase would make him even harder to play; the 24m TR is the only thing making him a threat right now in my opinion.

His main problem to me is that for his flashy ability he has to spend a lot of time between aiming, hitting, reeling, hoping to get a hit after and repeating to get a down. Changing his range would not make him much better even though it would be nice.

But I'm short on experience on him so who knows.

• NMCKENMCKE Member Posts: 7,230

I noticed a lot of players aim directly at the survivor, but fail to connect a hit because the range is a little short.

In one of my optional changes, I did suggest a faster pull speed so you're taking less time getting a hit with a M2 attack. 😁

• TAGTAG Member Posts: 6,637

Can the Deathslinger even reel someone in fast enough to land a hit if you harpoon them from roughly 32 meters? I think if you increase the range on the gun, you have to increase the durability of the chain by a fair bit.

• NuclearBurritoNuclearBurrito Member Posts: 5,928

Making him a 115% Killer would be the absolute worst way to buff him.

We don't need yet another standard Killer. And to be balanced he would need to be nerfed if he is to be 115%.

So hard no on that. Saying a change is necessary doesn't make it so.

You're not seeing the problem here: His power is no where near Huntress, Spirit, and Nurse level — therefore he doesn't need to be 110% at all.

If he doesn't fit a 110% killer, then he needs to be a 115% killer because his power suits a 115% better. Therefore, he won't get nerfed to compensate, besides his TR of course because all 115% need a 32 meter TR. 😁

His power is comparable in strength to the Huntress.

Huntress is stronger, but he's not THAT much weaker.

It's like saying bubba should be 120% to keep up with billy. Sure he needs a buff but increasing his base MS is too drastic.

• DustinDustin Member Posts: 680

Personally what I'd like to see is

• Increase the range of his harpoon gun
    • Increase the durability of the chain
    • Increase the strength of reeling in survivors so they approach you quicker based on how far they were when the harpoon hit them
    • Allow him to steer the direction of survivors based on where he's trying to look when reeling

I wouldn't be against increasing movement speed but that's mostly because maps hurt him so much right now. I see the 24 TR as being mandatory with how limited his harpoon gun is at certain distances because it's too easy to prep for him and get to a safer location. When he's actually close enough he's deadly though but it takes a lot of time to get into that distance where he's deadly because his movement speed.

Again though he doesn't need much but he needs something.

Everytime you land a M2, in a perfect scenario, you will do one health state worth of damage after reeling the survivor in. However, there will be times after you land a shot, the survivor will break free.

Huntress, can do this instantly and quickly without reloading between attempts. She also has a longer range than Death Slinger. Furthermore and most importantly, once you hit a survivor, they don't get a second chance to avoid damage.

Death Slinger is no where near Huntress, so again, I ask you? Why keep him 110% when his power isn't no where near as powerful as other 110% killers? 🤔

edited February 19

I mean, there is a difference between "buffing movement speed to be in line with most Killers" and "buffing movement speed to make a Killer have the fastest base movement speed in the game."

My point is, his power isn't even on par with a 115% killer.

Therefore, buffing him to 115% won't result in his power getting nerfed to compensate. I think that's what @NuclearBurrito is afraid of. 😁

• RaptorrotasRaptorrotas Member Posts: 1,904

Point is, people think he'd be more balanced with 115% on his current kit

If his ability was stronger, less people would want the ms boost.

Actually in this case there isn't.

Both are the same magnitude of change.

Did you read this, there's a reason why I'm suggesting a movement speed increase.

It's either that with some small buffs or keep him 110% with some tremendous buffs. 🙂

• memiiekomemiieko Member Posts: 175

Not really? It's not a matter of "how much is the speed being increased by" but rather "what is the base speed of the Killer vs. what base speed is the game built around." Changing a killer's default movement speed to 120% is a big deal because the game by default is balanced around the idea of a Killer moving 115% under completely default circumstances. Moving a Killer from 110% to 115% is bringing them on par with that default balance (though obviously, the particulars of a Killer's power could easily justify a Killer's slower than average speed). Moving a Killer from 115% to 120% puts them above the intended starting point of balance and would likely cause problems on a fundamental level (unless something about the Killer's powers created some sort of trade-off).

• AntiJellyAntiJelly Member Posts: 1,100

I don't want him to be 4.6m/s. At this point, that would be the boring route to take.

His power already changes how survivors loops quite a bit, so I'd like to see more put into that. To make it actually a new challenge for Survivors to figure out.

@Dustin made some really good suggestions.

• AhoyWolfAhoyWolf Member Posts: 1,198
    edited February 19

I think they should do the same like they did to the Hag, people wanted Hag to be 115% ms for a long time, but instead Devs buffed her in a way that she didn't need it.

I hope the same happens with the Deathslinger. I want a Killer that relies mostly on their power to get kills, not on their movement speed, there are enough 115% ms Killers already.

He has plenty of advantages that Huntress does not.

• 0 wind up time
    • Faster projectile speed
    • Smaller projectile hitbox (yes this is a benefit. Bigger hitbox means it his terrain more)
    • On hit perk synergy
    • No lullaby
    • Deep Wounds I guess

This means that there are a LOT of loops where he can get a hit via a quickscope where a Huntress would be completely screwed without a much longer chase.

Basically, Survivors that are visable for even a split second can be hooked by the Deathslinger. Not so much for the Huntress.

Yeah that doesn't QUITE make up for his downsides. But it's enough to put him on the same order of magnitude.

• memiiekomemiieko Member Posts: 175

• Has to reload after every attempt, whether it's a miss or hit

• Faster but limited range

• Smaller, but buggy (but so is Huntresses, so this isn't a bad thing)

• On hit perk synergy with regards to PWYF because it's not considered a hit, but no synergy with perks like STBFL

He can get hook hits on loops but they don't get actual hits many times, I believe he doesn't have many advantages over huntress other than maybe Small TR

He has really good synergy with STBFL.

Tokens from the perk will reduce the cooldown after hitting someone out of the spear. Hitting Survivors out the the Spear will also give you tokens.

Hitting Survivors also applies any other on hit effects such as sloppy ect.

STBFL in particular also allows for an instant down combo.

And his Reloads are really quick. Fast enough that combined with the fast shooting it works out to not much slower than Huntress, except when Huntress runs out she needs to spend much MUCH longer reloading.

The time it takes for Deathslinger to fire 5 shots and reload for the 6th is shorter than the time it takes Huntress to throw 5 hatchets and reload at a locker.

• Mc_HartyMc_Harty Member Posts: 3,294

Lets not also forget that ability to immobilise survivors, even if it's temporary.

• edgarpoopedgarpoop Member Posts: 1,948

I think they just need to add a way for his ranged attack to actually down injured survivors. He can't be 110 and also be a virtual non-threat if a survivor drops a pallet.

Personally, I'd keep the TR and range, delete Deep Wound from the game entirely, and change the power conditions this way:

If healthy and reeled in for an M1, the survivor enters the broken state until downed. The Redeemer can down survivors in the Broken state without reeling them in for an M1.

If healthy and they struggle out of the chain, they just become injured.

If injured and hit with the Redeemer, they still have to be reeled in for an M1 to be downed, but they are weakened and take longer to break the chain.

You don't need to remove deep wounds to accomplish the important parts of this.

• AzurlynxAzurlynx Member Posts: 222

How about equivalent exchange?

• BUFF - Possibility to pull survivors over pallet or by pushing survivors against pallet you break it.
    • NERF - Unsuccessful shoot on healthy survivor will not damage them.(Basically you HAVE to him em to damage them)
  • BlueberryBlueberry Member Posts: 6,257

The buff is needed but why add the nerf? Unnecessary.

• HelterSeltzerHelterSeltzer Member Posts: 15

I mean.... he has a knee brace so... putting him at 115% may not be possible.

That buff is actually good