Home Discussions General Discussions
Forum Community Moderator applications are now open! Click here for more information: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/204586/community-moderator-applications

Is it okay if I create a guide on Farming?

I'm considering making a guide on how to efficiently farm and posting it on these forums, but I'm not sure whether farming - more so, telling people how to farm - can be put under the category of cheating or exploiting and subsequently get me banned.
While I am aware that farming isn't punishable or bannable in the game, I am still hesitant to make a guide on how to farm most efficiently on the forums.
I'm not sure whether farming can go under the category of 'Posting guides about exploits, cheating, anything can be used to gain unfair advantage,' or 'Openly admitting to cheating in DbD', so I want confirmation before I actually do it.

I've been in a lot of games where Killers would rather farm than kill and at the end of it, generally we all get at least one pip. But the way I've seen Killers and Survivors actually farm, I realise that they aren't doing it in the most efficient way. I want to make a guide to teach people how to farm most efficiently if they actually decide to commit to farming for a game.
Complete with categories for how to gain points best and methods on getting the most points per each Killer.
The most common instances where Killers decide to farm is when they enter a game that has only three or less Survivors in it, when multiple Survivors disconnect, or when some Survivors happen to be completely AFK for the duration of the game. In all of these scenarios, when players farm, neither side seem to farm most efficiently.

Is it okay, by the devs, mods, and the forum rules, to make a guide on how to farm efficiently in Dead By Daylight?

Comments

• MasterMaster Member Posts: 10,205
    edited August 2018
    Pls refrain from doing so. Those are the rare cases where I dc and report the killer. I don't play the game just to farm bp, almost like work but working actually requires you brain....

And I'm confident that such posts are not allowed in the forum 
  • TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,587

Good question. Maybe @peanits can answer this question.

Farming per se is not forbidden. Unless you farm people against their will. So you could make a guide and show it to a mod and if he thinks you´re good to go...

• JudgementJudgement Member Posts: 797

@Tsulan said:

Farming per se is not forbidden. Unless you farm people against their will. So you could make a guide and show it to a mod and if he thinks you´re good to go...

Thanks for your input.
    Hopefully Peanits will give his input soon. I'd love to teach people how to make the most out of farming.

• fcc2014fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

Please don't nobody wants boring 20 minute matches. If 2 people dc on their teammates i will let them farm since the match is screwed but otherwise it is boring and takes forever.

@Vankruze said:

@Master said:
    Pls refrain from doing so. Those are the rare cases where I dc and report the killer. I don't play the game just to farm bp, almost like work but working actually requires you brain....

You don't get to make a report if you DC though you forfeit the option and it won't be available to you post DC however they can report you post match for DCing which you shouldn't be doing anyway.

Let me clarify, I use the "concede" option via the esc menu.
    Reporting for Dcing does nothing btw, those reports are ignored because they got an automatic system that triggers if you report 80% of your games. But luckily there arent that many farming killers, so I dont have to fear that

• PeasantPeasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Judgement said:

@Tsulan said:

Thanks for your input.
    Hopefully Peanits will give his input soon. I'd love to teach people how to make the most out of farming.

There is a report category for "farming" but it also mentions cooperation with the killer. If you're discussing full server farms that is fine, I think hook farming/body-blocking allies for the killer is the devs primary concern.

@Tsulan said:

It is forbidden. It is non-intentional gameplay and there even is a report category for that

@fcc2014 said:
    Please don't nobody wants boring 20 minute matches. If 2 people dc on their teammates i will let them farm since the match is screwed but otherwise it is boring and takes forever.

Which is the primary reason why I want to make a guide on farming - to help Killers and Survivors make the most of it if they decide to farm, for any reason.
    Whether it's farming because two people disconnected; whether it's farming because someone failed to make it into the game; whether it's farming because a Survivor is AFK; whether it's farming just because someone feels like it.
    There's a lot of points being wasted, and with the new Safe Unhook score event, even more. I hope to at least help players do so more efficiently.

• PeasantPeasant Member Posts: 4,104
    Master said:

Farming is great for killers though as it causes folks to lower their guard. If most people just get out of a game with a farming Wraith and immediately get in a match with another Wraith they may misjudge the killer's playstyle which gives killers an edge.
  • TsulanTsulan Member Posts: 5,587

@Master said:

@Tsulan said:

It is forbidden. It is non-intentional gameplay and there even is a report category for that

As i said, unless you farm people against their will.

• Nightmare247Nightmare247 Member Posts: 187

I know the Mod has spoken, but this game should not be about farming. While I know the grind is a long and difficult process, it should not be about power leveling.

I look at farming like this...1-2 times maybe during an event sure. If your everyday behavior is going out to farm, no thank you. The reason I both like and sometimes dislike this game is the grind. I like it that when you are first starting out or have less than 200 hours (sometimes more) you don't have a P3 character with every possible perk to tier 3. I like that it forces you to spend time and effort to get those perks in a bloodweb.

You may think I am crazy, but there is just something nice about not always going up against the same boosted players running the same boosted perks.

edited September 2018

I've been away without internet for a few days but now I'm back to respond to what Peanits said.

@Peanits said:
    We don't necessarily ban just for farming. If it happens, it happens.

I would say you probably shouldn't make a guide for it though. The more people know about it, the more they're going to do it wrong and potentially ruin the game for others. Farming at someone else's expense (killer + survivor working together to farm another survivor off the hook), not letting people who don't want to farm leave, etc. Those types of things are bannable.

So TL;DR, I would say don't, just because people are going to do it wrong and that's going to end up in bans. Farming in the wild, meh, no biggy. But it's not something we'd want to promote.

While I am intending to make a guide for farming, I intend to also leave a disclaimer stating to not let the guide encourage farming, but rather to make farming more efficient on the occasion that one would wish to.
    To also explain not to farm players who don't want to farm and such.

I understand if you don't want me to make a guide on farming on these forums, but I'd still like to do so if you'd allow me.
    Regardless of the outcome, I hope it isn't problematic that I tell farmers that I encounter in the game itself how to farm better at the end of it.

• MegaWaffleMegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,174

I don't understand people who DC if the killer is trying to do a farming run. Rather than DC why not just ignore the farming and rush gens and leave. You will safety or get a pip and get bloodpoints and not be participating in the farm, then if you wish you can report but you can't DC then report.

• SadonicShadowSadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146

I typically farm when there is a bloodpoint event going on. The easiest way to farm and make sure everyone is on board is to change your name to Farming Killer or something along those lines and add everyone in the lobby so that they get the message. The ones that are onboard will usually stay and use point offerings etc. Just dont force anyone to farm if they dont want to. Some people like to leave and that is fine. I usually get a 4 man team that is happy to farm and we all walk away with plenty of points.

• PeanitsPeanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 6,428

@MegaWaffle said:
    I don't understand people who DC if the killer is trying to do a farming run. Rather than DC why not just ignore the farming and rush gens and leave. You will safety or get a pip and get bloodpoints and not be participating in the farm, then if you wish you can report but you can't DC then report.

Because they just want to play the game. They don't want to sit there and power generators unopposed. Or worse yet, they don't want to sit there and try to power generators just so they can leave as the killer periodically just decides to grab them off of the generator so the other survivors can heal them for points. It's boring for a lot of people, and that's what I mean when I say that people will end up doing it wrong. If someone doesn't want to farm, just leave them be and let them do their own thing and leave.

• TheWorldconsumerTheWorldconsumer Member Posts: 81

I actually wonder what you would put in this guide to be honest. Killer has Doc+ bbq+ distressing, survs got "We gonna live forever". Add to those a bloody party streamer and go nuts- that´s mostly it.
    Any working together with the killer should NEVER be part of a survs goal to get BP.

edited September 2018

I actually wonder what you would put in this guide to be honest. Killer has Doc+ bbq+ distressing, survs got "We gonna live forever". Add to those a bloody party streamer and go nuts- that´s mostly it.
    Any working together with the killer should NEVER be part of a survs goal to get BP.

Stuff like how dropping a Survivor four times doesn’t give them grasp escape points, but three times and letting them wiggle out does.
    Interrupts (pulling off generators, totems, hook rescues etc, giving 600 Brutality and such.
    Also with the new Safe Unhook score event and all that, you know?