Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

Why do an overwhelming amount of players not use cosmetics?

2»

Comments

• kidmaxxkidmaxx Member Posts: 57

Honestly, the killer cosmetics kinda suck. I’ve spent a lot of money on video games in the past and would do it with this one too. But Hilbilly? I don’t want to be a park ranger with fireworks on my back. Legion? Wow a different color hoodie. Demo? Chains lmao. Nurse? Another 1800s outfit. Give us cool skins and I’ll pay for them. I think the huntress and oni ones are probably the best, they’re really different and a lot involve gore. Also the hallowed blight ones are cool but everyone has them so no point in paying.

• HectorBrandoHectorBrando Member Posts: 1,977

I dont use cosmetics because most of them are flashy and is easier to spot you from a distance, Id like to stay as stealthy as I can both as Survivor and Killer.

• karatinac97karatinac97 Member Posts: 210

I must admit I have paid for some cosmetics, probably a bit more than I should have but not too much. I usually get shards to buy new survivors and get cosmetics with the rest. I think I've paid for 3 full cosmetic outfits (Steve's Scoops Ahoy, Nancy's winter outfit and Kate's bike outfit). Then I buy stuff with shards and mix and match outfits. I personally think some of the mix and match outfits are better than a lot of the full sets.

I do notice a lot of people with the original outfits though. But sometimes I'll be on a team with full cosmetics, it just depends.

• NullEXENullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

WHY ARE THE BLOODY CLOTHES NOT OUTFITS?!

• Mister_xDMister_xD Member Posts: 7,179

maybe they dont have the money to spend on cosmetics?

maybe they dont want to waste their shards on them, as they are "useless" - especially since the killer cant really see them himself - and rather save them up for upcomming chapters?

or maybe they just prefer the base skin?

personally, i love nothing more than customizing my characters!

some of the cosmetics killers have are incredible, and the original ones, imo, got a little stale after plalying with them for so long.

• PeanitsPeanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 6,661

I feel like the majority of people I play with/against use some sort of cosmetics, particularly survivors since they don't need to swap between survivors constantly.

But I can see why not everyone does it. Some people just don't care what their character looks like to begin with, and others are very proud of their prestige (yes, even though it may not be a big deal to you or me).

• bendermacbendermac Member Posts: 772

Price is also a major issue why people not buying any cosmetics. The prices are way too high (auric cells and shards). This is the reason why BHVR is not seeing any money besides for license DLC (characters only) from me. Sorry guys, but $10 for an outfit is just overpriced junk. But don't feel bad. I don't support any other game developer with overpriced cosmetics. Capcom was the 1st who got me voting with my wallet against them in Street Fighter 5. $1 for a standard outfit and $2 for a premium outfit and I'd be in. But $10? HELL NO!

• Stitch7833Stitch7833 Member Posts: 632

because P3 Claudette is a thing, why buy cosmetics when you can have the advantage by having a slimmer looking model with the darkest of outfits. Also the same characters keep getting outfits and the prices are still way to steep for a single outfit. ill use the rift or the free ones but thats it, not gonna spend a bunch of money on 1 cosmetic when i can buy new games to enjoy that give me time away from a broken/unbalanced mess half the time

• NicholasNicholas Member Posts: 1,611

It probably also has to do with the fact that the cosmetics in this game are extremely expensive. Roughly $10 for skin isn't great pricing for people. I purchased a few skins here and they are at that price but I'm very conservative. It has to be something I really like for a character I really prefer to play.

• ill_Boston_lliill_Boston_lli Member Posts: 899

to be honest on xbox I have tons of cosmetics and use them frequently but on pc I just switched and I really don't want to spend the money again on them so all my survivors are basic as well as my killers

• HellDescentHellDescent Member Posts: 4,505

This game is not worth supporting

• NullEXENullEXE Member Posts: 1,632

I am extremely proud of my prestige. Which is why we should get the bloodied cosmetic's as an equipable outfit when we get to p3. I don't want to equip each one individually.

Also prestige should be shown in the end game lobby screen since we don't have it around the campfire anymore.

Also K-pop outfit for Feng Min.

• SandS_HeroSandS_Hero Member Posts: 29

A friend of mine who also plays this has got it in his head that bright cosmetics get you spotted easier.

When I play killer I'm like a t rex, if the survivor is moving I spot them pretty easily. I don't find myself spotting colourful survivors easier myself. But maybe it helps some survivors feel better to use default darker skins

• DwinchesterDwinchester Member Posts: 961

Because I come from an era in gaming when added content meant adding gameplay. I have no interest in visual style, I want proper gameplay and new content that changes how the game is played.

• MongolPSRMongolPSR Member Posts: 1,032

The game itself is over monetized. Skins for survivors and killers, pay for the base game, pay for the dlc, pay for a battlepass. I know and understand they need to make money somehow but at a certain point this model becomes toxic to the consumer. I personally only buy the killers unless the survivors have really strong perks.

people may say you have the ability to not spend money on there game but I'm not thinking about or concerned with how I spend my money, as I can make reasonable financial decisions for myself without to much of an issue. I'm concerned with the people who have addictive tendencies or are unable to say no due to a variety of reasons. This could be that they are children who don't understand the value of a dollar, or someone who has no impulse control and is mentally sick in a way that is exploitable.

• theArashitheArashi Member Posts: 995

I got few cosmetics back when I enjoyed playing the game a lot.

Aaand there is a fact that cosmetics in this game are ridiculously expensive compared to everything else.

I like the idea of battlepass before it was introduced but I'd have to live and breethe this game with my every free moment which I'm not willing to do due to how tedious it gets at times.

So... rip.

• jzinskyjzinsky Member Posts: 112

Mainly because I come from a time where a game would have 8 colours and one sound channel. Also if I wanted to play dress up I'd have a dress up game

• Spectre13Spectre13 Member Posts: 179

I like the cosmetics aspects but the pricing to get them is kind of ridiculous. This is why like Overwatch I think their should be loot boxes with cosmetics inside as prizes for players maybe once a day as an incentive like the daily rituals are. I know people will consider it "gambling" but cosmetics have no effect on game play unless you are dumb enough to equip bright colors and flashy stuff in a very dark blue map (coal tower, McMillan estate etc)

• scarslookgoodscarslookgood Member Posts: 157

I see Killer & Survivor non-default cosmetics in an overwhelming majority of matches on PS4. Some may be prestige garments, some may be Rift, but most are from the store. I don't know if it's a difference in platform culture, maybe?