Home Dead by Daylight Forums Discussions General Discussions

What happened to "closing the gap between solo and swf"?

124»

Comments

• EndstilleEndstille Member Posts: 2,246

Yes most of the time people only speak one language and that is it, you are totally super special and nobody from italy, spain, france, russia, portugal, turkey, sweden, norway and finland speaks any other language but their native language. 🤦‍♀️

So bizarre that I can have a talk with SWF coming from these countries in end game chat but communication would totally not be possible at all.

• xBEATDOWNSxxBEATDOWNSx Member Posts: 628

I really wish I had your level of patience. Some of these users drive me nuts and y'all really deserve more credit for braving these forums and for even responding.

• twistedmonkeytwistedmonkey Member, Trusted Posts: 4,260

Mostly some of more recent games have built in voice chat which encourage it but if you look at them all over the years you would realise its not the majority of all the multiplayer games. Even the ones that do have issues with playerbase sizes. Take F13th a game with voice chat which had major issues and complaints on the forum about players not speaking English and lots asking for them to restrict the regions more. Unfortunately it wasn't possible as they numbers spoke for themselves.

Look at France as another example. Statistically only 32% of the population speak English.

You cannot take pro players into account in esports games as its basically a business for them. They play in a league where of course speaking a neutral language is good for what they can earn from it.

Take DBD with comms they can say he is going left or right when in a chase around a loop helping, they placed a trap at x spot, they went into stealth, killer left the gen at the harvester, pallet is gone at the shack or a building or any part of the map, I have x perk etc etc. The amount of info comms can give is never going to be the same with a chat wheel. While nice it is just a way to say a very small amount and will not come anywhere close to closing the gap.

What adding comms then does is cut off what the game is for a lot of players. Since over 50% are solo you remove the ability to play how they always have and why they bought the game due to your own thoughts and needs. The game is about help others or not. It's not a proper team game but a use others for your own benefit.

• CornHubCornHub Member Posts: 1,864

Saying voice coms shouldn't be added, because people speak different languages doesn't make any sense. If all I got on dbd were people who spoke Mandarin I wouldn't say, get rid of voice coms. I'm not gonna let others not have fun because of a language barrier.

• EndstilleEndstille Member Posts: 2,246

No you are the one making stuff up, check numbers. https://ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/publicopinion/archives/ebs/ebs_386_en.pdf you can follow this link and read through it. Have a good read.

7k hrs in dota, having a friendlist full of people from the countries you mentioned and a longtime active in the esports scene. Sorry language barrier just isn't really a thing anymore especially not around younger people who are the ones that are the majority of gamers.

Yes CS 1.6 is a very recent game. America's Army, Arma2, COD4MW (the original one and not the remaster), Day of Defeat, DCS, Dead Island, Dirty Bomb, Dota, L4D i think the list is long enough to show that voice chat has been around for a very long time and is not new to gaming at all.

It is 39% in france btw most of the time and it also begs the question what means do you speak english? Good enough to talk about everything maybe not, a few words that you actually need in dbd? Pls. Parisiens will mostly immediately talk to you in english for example when you start talking in broken french.

Dude it doesn't have to be 100% navy seal squad with randoms, basic talk are already better than most perks offered by the game and will help to coordinate a team.

Sorry when you do not want to talk to anyone and have a complete solo experience, voice chat mostly comes with a mute function so you can be the lone wolf.

• VolfawottVolfawott Member Posts: 3,875
    edited March 2020

I have no problem with a totem counter but I don't think it should be part of the base kit.

May not seem like much but it could potentially add a lot of benefit for it just be a standard base utility.

Putting it on something like small games would be a lot better it would give more value to the perk considering the perks mean purposes basically become cleansing totems. It will also benefit the potential for various meta as if you add too many things to the base kit elements you shut down the need for purpose and make the matter that was already stagnating stuck a lot more.

Why run small games you have a totem counter run defensive strike, borrowed time and dead hard instead.

Why run bonds, empathy or aftercare you have base kindred run defensive strike, borrowed time and dead hard instead.

That's the problem with adding perks into the baseline he doesn't actually help diversity amongst build instead it pigeonholed everything into using one perk setup because you have all the other information for free.

Survive with friends also fall under the same benefit. No point in contesting who is going to go for the save we can all see you who is closest to the hook plus we could use our extra comm information so we are a massively ahead of Solo play

What's the point of a discussing how many totems we've destroyed we have a counter so we don't need to keep count but unlike solo we can actually pinpoint where we last will be saw them if we can't break it ourselves.

Yes solo survivors will benefit from however so will survive with friends it wouldn't shorten the gap it will probably still remain the exact same size. Solo survivors will just be brought to the level of old survivor friends whilst new survivor with friends will become even stronger

Post edited by Volfawott on
  • MojoTheFabulousMojoTheFabulous Member Posts: 2,012

I feel like more icons would be useful in bridging the gap. Such as icons for Generators and Totems to replace the regular icon whenever someone is on either thing. Slap on a bit of red so you can still see that they are injured. Have the regular injured icon animated so when being chased it appears to be running. Remove the red when an uninjured person is in a chase.

• DwightOPDwightOP Member Posts: 2,328

This is necessary imo. The biggest difference between solo and swf is time efficiency. As Long as this is a huge difference we will not see improvements Balance-wise. So yeah, more HUD icons are very welcomed.

• andyollollollandyollolloll Member Posts: 940

Sorry, BHVR are saying Comms don't give a massive advantage???

• PrettyFaceKatePrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,706

That's why they can't balance the game. They want to bridge the gap and they don't even realize how wide it is.

• kidmaxxkidmaxx Member Posts: 57

Yeah it gives them a massive advantage. A massive advantage the game isn't designed for. And at red ranks every other game you play the survivors have that advantage. Since they can't stop people from using discord, they have to give all survivors coms, and then buff killers to be able to deal with it. Otherwise we're gonna keep having the same issue where SWF is overpowered and kind of ruins the game.

• andyollollollandyollolloll Member Posts: 940

BHVR are well aware of the advantage, otherwise SWF information would be provided in the lobby.

The issue of matchmaking (or killers not playing) is being addressed by hiding more information about ranks.

• KeezoKeezo Member Posts: 449

maybe BHVR finally realised making solos run certain perks to catch up to SWF's basic info is never going to work