Dead by Daylight is way too PUNISHING! ( And "git gud" isn't going to fix most of it. )
No matter how you look at it, playing both the Killer side and the Survivor side is way too PUNISHING!
Everyone can relate to at least some of this. If you can't, you are a LIAR. Nobody is PERFECT.
Don't get me wrong. I love Dead by Daylight. I have all the DLCs. I have all Survivors up to Prestige 1 and I'm grinding to make them higher. I also play both Survivor and Killer, and I also have the meta Killer perks unlocked, like Barbecue, Thanatophobia, Discordance and Pop Goes The Weasel. Currently, as I'm writing this post, I am Rank 4 Survivor and Rank 5 Killer. I have about 600 hours in the game. Nearing 700, actually.
But there is so many things wrong with the gameplay aspect of Dead by Daylight, that it's ridiculous and makes things not fun at all. I get that the game can't exactly be fun for both sides, but hear me out, yes it can. Because I personally had matches as Survivor in which indeed I died, yet I still rated it a very good match in my mind because the Killer was being fair and reasonable, and the teammates weren't trash at all. Same goes for very rare Killer matches I had, where not everyone escaped, and not everyone survived either. A good Killer match is where you can get at least 2-3 kills, but that's just my opinion.
I will begin listing the things that I personally think make the game incredibly not fun for anyone, starting from the Survivor side and moving onto the Killer side of things.
WHAT PUNISHES THE SURVIVOR SIDE:
- Sweaty Killers: Alright, alright. Before you entitled Killer mains begin to type out a reply about how much I should suffer and all that, please hear me out. Everybody has a different play style, YOURSELF included. And that's the good part about this game, right? It spices things up, makes things different every match... But then there come the sweaty Killers who will do EVERYTHING in their power to ruin the game for you. They're there to show off their meta perks and their epic skills, then once they down you they nod aggressively. Then, if you just make a SLIGHT attempt at doing something right, you get punished for it by being tunneled, camped or slugged. Yes, sure, there's perks in the game to counter all of that, but that's precisely not the point I'm trying to make.
- Punishing Survivor Perks: There are these so called "second chance" perks that are supposed to help you and make you feel just a little bit better if you are being camped, tunneled or slugged. These tend to... not exactly work the way they are supposed to work. At least not ALWAYS. Let's take for example Unbreakable. You are lucky that the Killer finally left you and you try to swiftly recover and stand up. What happens? Some random teammate literally takes the Killer back to you and you needed just a tiny bit to stand up, yet in just the blink of an eye you are on the hook again. You are pretty much able to use Unbreakable in about 1 time per 20 matches, purely by chance. How about Dead Hard? Not exactly a second chance perk, but it kind of does give you a second chance at escaping if the Killer misses their attack. But... This perk doesn't always work. This may be a "dedicated servers" issue, as anyone would expect it, but the perk just doesn't work when you WANT it to work. And just like that, you're on hook again. Decisive Strike? Killer can just slug you until the timer runs out. Waste of a perk slot, in most cases (when you can't get to use it). Borrowed Time? The time that is borrowed is just really not enough. And the Killer can still tunnel you anyway.
- Punishing Killer Perks: This was inevitable (actually yes it was, but whatever). Imagine having a good match with your buddies. You repaired all 5 generators under a fair amount of minutes, while your buddies were hanging on hooks and healing and running the Killer around, basically just having a good time. But not you or your buddies were doing totems.. Which was the worst mistake of your life, because when you simply DON'T expect it, you get a big NOED in your face and everyone is dead because, then again, instead of finding said totem, your buddies decide to go for the save, which honestly can be their fault too but it's still very punishing. You have a great time doing gens and suddenly all of it is for nothing.
- Selfish Random Teammates: Don't you just love dying on your first hook because your random teammates decide to go in the corner of the map to use Self-Care or not even make a slight attempt to rescue you? And then when the match is over, you realize most of them had Borrowed Time. And what for? Decoration? All in all, if you have a perk that is going to help someone else, then USE it. Make great use of it, actually. Even if you think it won't do much or it's not worth it, believe in yourself because it WILL be worth it, If you're lucky.
- The Doctor: I won't even comment on this. And no, I won't use Calm Spirit every single match.
- The Deathslinger: What's a terror radius? Does it grow on trees and is it edible? Sounds delicious.
- The Nightmare: This really is a big nightmare. Getting Freddy five times in a row would make you quit too. Trust me when I say this. Not to mention, using builds like Forever Freddy or any build that stops the game entirely, you're just proving it to everyone that you're bad at the game.
- The Clown: Okay. I'll allow you to laugh at me for this. I really need to "git gud". They say "Clown is a bad Killer". They say "He needs a rework". Yet... When I play as the Clown, I barely manage to kill 1 if not 2 people. But when others play as the Clown? My whole team dies. Over. And over. AND OVER. Oh yeah, about getting Clown 3 times in a row? True story, by the way.
WHAT PUNISHES THE KILLER SIDE:
- Punishing Survivor Perks: Seriously, how UNLUCKY do you have to be that whenever you're playing Survivor, you just can't get a second chance perk to work, but when you're playing Killer, the Survivors are always lucky at everything? SERIOUSLY? At this point, it really does boil down to "git gud", I know, but how about you just shut up. You can relate too, can't you? Having to use meta perks both on Killer and Survivor just means that you aren't creative with your builds and you seriously just play this game for them epic wins, 4k's, escapes and pips!!1.
- Survive With Friends: I love successful SWF groups that actually know what they're doing and don't mess anything up at all. Why do I suck then? Why does my team suck? What are we doing wrong that these entitled Survivor main SWFs do right? I beg you to teach me tips and tricks at this point.
- Generator Rushing: Like it or not, it still exists. And having to play a certain Killer or having to use a certain perk (which, not to mention, is a purchasable Killer's perk, for example) to counter this just proves that it's not balanced well.
- Meme Toxic SWFs: A separate section for this one is because meme toxic SWFs are basically Survivors who intentionally make themselves the same character, use the same second chance perks and rush you like crazy. If not rush you, they run you around until the other two do all the generators. Ugh. Oh, not to mention they laugh at you in the end game chat. Way to go, community. Way to go.
- Farming Survivors: This IS a punishment to the Killer side. It's not fun to farm points at all. That's not how the game works. Play it correctly. Earn your points by doing things, not by needing to use puppy eyes and look at the Killer so they give you the hatch or they let you do a gen or two.
- Blending Survivors: It is a playstyle, yes. Then again, if you didn't find anyone yet and somehow they mysteriously repaired 1-2 generators already, then you're doing something very wrong, or you're just blind. Let's not even talk about the Dead Dawg Saloon's bushes.
- Flashlights: You know about those 2-man SWF that will do everything to save each other, and if you're tunneling one of them, the other one will always follow you and blind you if you get their friend? Yeah... And this happens every time, too. Even when you successfully look away, you get blinded somehow. Bugs, I tell you. BUGS!!
WHAT PUNISHES BOTH SIDES:
- Bugs: We all know that the game has a few amount of bugs, some of them will be fixed in 3.7.0 , some of them will generate in 3.7.0 , and some of them might never be fixed.
- Harassment: It's either from the Killer side of the Survivor side, harassment exists in the post-game chat or on your own Steam profile. If someone loses and they had a sweaty playstyle, your day is bound to get ruined by mean comments. Sure, you can fix this by not looking at the chat and quickly skipping, or making your Steam profile comments private, but what if I want to get good comments? There are bound to be some -rep's between those good comments, and I will still have to read them before I delete them. Deleting comments is basically being scared of criticism, yet it still ruins your day one way or another.
- Rage Quitting Players: This punishes everyone. Not only you hinder your team by quitting as a Survivor, but you also make people wait longer for matches if you disconnect as a Killer. Not to mention, the Killer loses points if you just quit. I certainly had matches where I killed everyone but I depipped. If you disconnect at all, then at least do it because you're REALLY tired of the attitude of the Survivors or Killers. Then again, this will make you the bad person.
- The Community: This place would be heaven if there wasn't any entitled, toxic Killer or Survivor mains out there.
In conclusion, everyone plays to have fun. Everyone has their own ways of fun. Some people find tunneling and camping fun. Some people find clicky clicky with the flashlight good and very haha funny. But one thing that can only be fixed by the community is having fun on both sides equally.
Have a good day, night, week, or whatever it is for you, and thank you for reading. Remember to wash your hands. I wish you all the best.