Home Discussions General Discussions

What Perks do you use that helps you win but isn't a part of the meta?

DelsKibaraDelsKibara Member Posts: 2,042

Hey, it's me again. And no, I'm not going to make a thread about how Killer is Easy this time around ^^; (I still think it's relatively easier than how it should be but that doesn't matter now.)

Decisive Strike, Object of Obsession, Sprint Burst, Dead Hard.

No One Escapes Death, Pop Goes the Weasel, BBQ & Chili, Sloppy Butcher.

These 8 are just a few of the perks that are currently in the game's meta, and each of them helps us win the game in some way or another. Whether it being to make the killer miss a swing and chase for another loop with Dead Hard, bait them with Sprint Burst, bait them with Object of Obsession, surprise Survivors with NOED, break generators with PGTW, find them hiding with BBQ, and so on.

All of these perks are powerful, and no doubt are a must for any build is tailored to making your victory that much more easier to obtain. But what if these perks are locked away from you? And you have to choose from the various other perks that doesn't quite make the cut?

What perks do you use that helps you win, but isn't a part of the meta?

I'll start, it's probably one that some of you might not expect me to run:

Distressing

Your horrifying emanation strikes at a supernaturally long distance.

Your Terror Radius is increased by 22/24/26 %.

Gain 100 % more Bloodpoints 

for actions in the Deviousness Category.

The Bonus Bloodpoints are only awarded during the Trial.

"Bask in their fear."

Yeah that's right, Distressing.

Here is the thing, three of the killers I usually play are The Oni, The Doctor and The Spirit. The Doctor, for obvious reasons, can get a lot of mileage from Distressing. His Static Blast and huge Terror Radius would allow him to find out where exactly Survivors are hiding (if they are not hiding in lockers).

But The Oni and The Spirit requires a bit more explanation.

Whenever I play Oni, I always run Infectious Fright. It's just too good of a perk not to use with him. It helps notify me of Survivors that are inside my Terror Radius while I am in Wrath Mode. Which in turn, allows me to hunt them down and Oni-smash them with Demon Strike. Since Oni's power is depleted everytime he picks up a Survivor, having something like Infectious Fright is really useful. Which is why I run it alongside Distressing which would give me a ton of information on where Survivors are at near me.

As for The Spirit. Well, you know how Survivors often run away once they hear her vacuum cleaner coming nearby? Yeah well, they can't hear that if they are inside your Terror Radius. I can't tell you how many times I've gotten gen grabs with this tactic. Even when they know that I am playing Spirit. I know that it is a jumpscare for the survivors because they don't immediately struggle after getting grabbed. Distressing increases her Terror Radius, as such it increases the area of which they are unable to hear her vacuum cleaner.

This one perk, that most people use in Meme Builds is the one perk I always look out for in the Bloodweb. Because it's just that good for the killers I primarily play.

This is why I am making this thread, because I am curious what are some perks that aren't meta that really helps you guys win games as either a Survivor or a Killer and why. Maybe I get to try out some of those perks myself :P

Comments

• ZoneDymoZoneDymo Member Posts: 1,946
    edited April 24

perks? pfff its called skill baby YEAH!

But to be a bit more serious, I have been running perkless matches with a 2 - 3 - 4man SWF on red ranks the last weeks and its been going more then fine.

So with that comes a bit of freedom and its lovely to get some value out of the many perks this game has to offer.

Like Deja Vu, I mean its actually really nice to just exactly know where gens are, on some maps I would say its actually VERY helpful, mostly the indoor maps.

Like Left Behind, being the last survivor running around with the killer up your behind and just seeing that aura, its fantastic.

Like Tenacity, being able to crawl WAY faster then any killer expects AND recover? dude, that is just golden and can totally help you and others escape.

As for killer, hmm its hard to determine value out of some of the perks you have as killer, I just have different builds for every killer, I guess Spies, Huntress Lullaby, Lightborn, Im All Ears are all very nice to have

• DelsKibaraDelsKibara Member Posts: 2,042

I dare say, my good friend. You're more daring than I am to play perkless as a Survivor.

But those three perks really does feel like they have some use, especially during the early and endgame. I know I've found myself unable to find generators in Lery's multiple times and feel like an idiot for missing them.

And it must be satisfying to see the aura with Left Behind, though I'm pretty sure the Killer wouldn't be pleased you got to the hatch first. :P

• CheersCheers Member Posts: 3,426

I love using Balanced Landing at the moment, very great for losing the killer mid way through the chase, and allows you to turn a dead zone into a loop.

For killer, on Legion I love Thanataphobia with Dying light, it's a great combo for him. I also use Enduring with Hillbilly to allow me to go for cocky plays.

• DeshDesh Member Posts: 877

Hmm right now for Killer as Oni, I love using Rancor and Nemsis

• arslaNarslaN Member Posts: 1,906

I'm using Resiliance a lot recently, it's a very underrated perk imo. 9% doesn't sound much but it can make a lot difference especially during vaults. It also reduces the amount of bs hits you get through windows quite a bit.

• BeHasUBeHasU Member Posts: 635

Diversion, throw a pebble that way, run the other

I've been using Resiliance a lot too on some of my Survivor builds, particularly my chase build. Though sadly I haven't noticed a big enough difference in vault speed :/ So I kinda have stopped using it as much.

• CLAUDETTEINABUSHCLAUDETTEINABUSH Member Posts: 1,588

A nurse's calling. Simply the most useful perk that's not in the meta. I love it on spirit because I can pretend going for someone and immediately phase to the injured Claudette that self-cares in a pallet like she has the reflexes to throw a pallet to an invisible god.

• MadArtilleryMadArtillery Member Posts: 826

Tenacity is probably my big non meta perl. As someone else stated it really does make otherwise impossible escapes quite often and getting picked up after an escape is great. You can really be that Houdini if the killer goes for so much as a single swing on another survivor.

Gotta say that's a smart idea for spirit. When I eventually get her I'll definitely have to give it a try.

• DWolfAlphaDWolfAlpha Member Posts: 823

I like running Dance with me, Quick and Quiet, and Windows of Opportunity. I also tend to use lithe, but I think that counts as a meta perk. I really like using Autodidact and Solidarity. Or just Autodidact.

• EvilJoshyEvilJoshy Member Posts: 2,327
    edited April 24

Whispers. It saves me time when I know an area is clear of survivors. It doubles for trapper because if an area is clear then no one will se me plant a trap. It also helps me find them and unlike BBQ, it's on all the time.

Pharmacy. I farm green medkits so I don't have to run inner strength or find a survivor to heal me.

• SquirrelKnightSquirrelKnight Member Posts: 832

I love Rancor. When playing the plague it gives some much needed info when gens are done plus its one of the very few acceptable moris

• DeadeyeDeadeye Member Posts: 2,853

Detectives Hunch to counter the current genrush vs NOED meta

Surveillance helps me a lot, assuming that this is not a meta perk

btw Spirit phasing sound isn't related to TR. Although I also saw that written somewhere, you can test it. if you stand close to the edge of the default TR, you can hear both, phasing and TR.

Actually that is a sound bug related to the Spirit, I heard it as well as a Survivor. You're not supposed to hear her phase inside her Terror Radius.

• PigMainClaudettePigMainClaudette Member Posts: 3,842

Survivor?

Self-Care, Bond, Lithe, Q&Q, Dance with Me, Botany Knowledge. I play solo after all.

Killer?

Surveillance. Easy. And Devour Hope on Deathslinger. Surveillance is such an underrated perk, and I've been using it since before the Ruin rework.

• DoomspoogeDoomspooge Member Posts: 184

I like detectives hunch a lot here lately. seems more people are running devour hope and NOED since ruin died and no one cares to do bones anymore.

• ViceusViceus Member Posts: 145

For Survivor

Leader ( Help me from other to heal and unhook faster )

Stake out ( Basically premonition with charge and get great result in good skill check)

Urban Evasion + Sprint Bust ( Urban faster than walking [ except u use fixated ] )

Spine Chill + resilience ( for better vault )

For Killer

Agitation + Iron Grasp ( For basement party)

Any Hex totem + Haunted Ground ( for totem hunter )

Predator or Bloodhound on Nurse/ spirit

Dead Man switch instead of PGTW on freddy

All of this not meta right ?

• csandman1977csandman1977 Member Posts: 1,795

Im really liking lithe, q&q, dance with me combo with a flashlight. I go through phases.

• TheEntity03TheEntity03 Member Posts: 115

I like to use Lithe to get away from the killer(don't know that is meta) and I like to use bond to see if my teammates are injured or that I should be working on gens. I also like spinechill so I prepare myself for a chase or sneak away. 😊

• CheersCheers Member Posts: 3,426

Really? I rarely see survivors use bl, most Legions use Thanataphobia, but not Dying Light, and I very rarely see a Hillbilly with Enduring and not Spirit Fury.

• ColaGhostColaGhost Member Posts: 34

As a Survivor Alert is my baby, followed closely these days by Aftercare.

For Killer, I'm becoming a big fan of All Ears.

• BossBoss Member, Trusted Posts: 11,541

Make Your Choice is helping me so good.

• StindeStinde Member Posts: 349

My new favourite perk from the chains of hate chapter is red herring. It really works well since very few survivors use it so killers don't expect it. Works well with Q&Q and inner strength.

Hew: retribution works really well with devour hope. Also whispers, spies and bitter murmur are really good perks and it is a shame they are so underrated.

• BoiltOverBoiltOver Member Posts: 110

I wouldn't say that they help me survive per se, but I love fixated, boil over, flip flop, head on (when it works), and Lightweight. They make it onto a lot of my builds unconsciously.

• maximizer12maximizer12 Member Posts: 75

Save the best for last has helped me prevent gens popping countless times