Home Feedback Feedback and Suggestions
Due to latency issues in the PTB, we have decided to postpone the server hit validation test until after the update releases on the live version of the game. We will let you know when the test will take place as soon as we can. Thank you all for your patience.

My Idea on How to Buff the Clown

Lx_maliceLx_malice Member Posts: 181
edited May 14 in Feedback and Suggestions

So currently Clown is arguably the weakest killer in the game and this is because he lacks map pressure. So what if he had a secondary ability in addition to his bottles similar to the Doctor's static blast. Basically what the Clown would be able to do is break a special bottle of toxic gas that he passively charges every minute. The toxic effect would linger for about 45 seconds and any survivor that spends 12 seconds in the gas will be put into the dying state. This would allow him to effectively deny an area of his choice and let him pressure an area without being there. The gas cloud radius would be about 20 meters and every minute he'll have the ability fully charged and ready to use again.

What do you guys think? Is this not strong enough and maybe he should have 2 toxic gas bottles every minute? Or would this break him and put him at S++ tier?

Comments

• OniKobayashiOniKobayashi Member Posts: 171

So they'd go down just for being round him? 45 seconds of Super Whispers that is either go down or reveal your position. That would be a drastic buff that would make him definately above other Killers. The ability would have to be drastically reduced in duration for it to be anywhere near balanced. Or at most adjust how it affects Survivors based on what's in between them and the Clown.

• Lx_maliceLx_malice Member Posts: 181

Not around him but around an area where he decides to activate the ability. Ideally around a generator or maybe in other cases a really strong loop to basically lockout that area for survivors.

• ProfessorDunwichProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 788

Clown has needed a buff for a long, long time. Devs don't care. Survivors don't find him "unfun." So he won't be touched.

• 5thPerkSlot5thPerkSlot Member Posts: 396

I think the Clown need a deeper rework...

-> exposure to the gas for longer time can get you into Broken status similar to the Plague mechanisms, and you are back to normal after some time (that time can be increased with add-ons)

• 5thPerkSlot5thPerkSlot Member Posts: 396

yup he is very unfun... the top fun is the Huntress cuz she is a turtle and it is fun to dodge the hatchets

Define "unfun." If you mean getting in the way of you tbagging at the exit gate, you are in the minority.

• deadbyhitboxdeadbyhitbox Member Posts: 937
    edited May 14

I'd like to see him be changed in some regards. If they could manage to make him a strong killer, but make his gameplay a bit more engaging for survivor, I would be so happy.

• RespectfulnancymainRespectfulnancymain Member Posts: 1,545

By unfun i mean hes not enjoyable to play as or against. His power just forces an early pallet drop nothing much else. He needs a complete rework imo

And why are you assuming that im some toxic survivor main? I play both sides equally. No need to be rude

• AnimatorAnimator Member Posts: 281

Definitely, this will make the Clown stronger, but not so much that it will put him in the S tier

• DudeDeliciousDudeDelicious Member Posts: 7,856
    edited May 14

Clown only needs the most minor of tweaks. He can absolutely dominate in chases if a player is really really good at placing bottles in areas that make it too difficult for survivors to reach pallets or vaults in time.

This is why he doesn’t have map pressure. He doesn’t need it.

Clown is for players that are already excellent at tracking survivors. The only weakness he has are against survivors that are great at stealth. If survivors are very stealthy, clowns got nothing. If Clown can move from chase to chase, gen rush/map pressure isn’t a problem because he manages both of these issues by proxy due to fast downs.

Experienced Clown players that know how to put thought into bottle tosses can already achieve all this with Clown’s current kit. He could do with some very minor improvements, but quite sincerely nothing too strong.

If a player struggles too much as Clown against most survivors, then they need to work on better strategy on bottle tosses and better bottle/reload management. Don’t mindlessly throw bottles at survivors all the time. Place gas clouds in areas that make looping/evasion more difficult for survivors.

The simplest tip I can give to anyone wanting to significantly improve their Clown game is to throw a bottle (or two) along the longest side of a loop with a pallet, and try and force the survivor to run back around the loop through the entire gas cloud if they want to reach the pallet again. There’s absolutely no reason Clown shouldn’t get a hit in on the survivor each and every time with this strategy. This includes if the survivor thinks they’re being smart by running around the gas cloud to reach the pallet again.

• MdawguMdawgu Member Posts: 110

He just needs small tweaks. Such as shortening the bottle reload, removing his vaulting sound and maybe making the effect of his screen distorting addon's base kit. Im open for more ideas of changing him but i dont want his base gameplay touched as i quite enjoy it.

• MrDardonMrDardon Member Posts: 1,147

If anything he might be the most boring for me to play against because there is nothing special going for him.

As Survivor, you don't have to do anything special in order to counter him, just pre drop pallets, repeat the process and you're good. He is extremely boring to play as and against.

I'd rather vs. a Freddy.

• MrDardonMrDardon Member Posts: 1,147

Small tweaks and number buffs would be an option. But giving him something new, maybe not excactly what OP suggested, or maybe yes would make him more interesting to play. At the moment even if his reload was 1 second and the Intoxication Effect lasted for 3 minutes, he would still be boring to play as.

• MdawguMdawgu Member Posts: 110

I completely disagree. Most of the fun is corralling survivors into your smoke and giving yourself just enough distance to shut down a loop. So are long range bottles that feather down over a loop before the survivor even gets there. Though i do agree an additional ability wouldn't be a terrible idea I dont think the killers base power and gameplay are or will be going anywhere.

Ah. That makes more sense. And it's just straight down, right? He can't throw the special bottle?

• EvilJoshyEvilJoshy Member Posts: 1,430

I find the jump scare killers to be fun. It actually feels like a horror game.

• WaffleyumboyWaffleyumboy Member Posts: 6,652

This is a pretty good idea. It always seemed nonsensical to me that he didn't have a lethal variant of his gas he could use to control the map.

Yep he would walk to an area and activate it and the area would be covered in the gas to prevent survivors from going there. The idea is to create map pressure in a way that doesn't involve teleporting or moving across the map super fast which is what all of the other high tier killers have and denying an area from the survivors does a good job at this.

• emptyCupsemptyCups Member Posts: 1,179

Movement power plz.

Drink a bottle to

1) leap forward a grate distance like a teliport

2) Or get sprint

3) get dizzy and wake up near a gen like getting drunk and loosing where you are

Force feed a downed survivor a bottle to perma impair them

Addons that effect force feed or make gas stronger

1)Increase visual impair

2)blindness /exhausted

3)broken

4)action speed reduction

5) choke when preforming rushed actions in gas and get stunned

Make anything you think is too op a ultra rare idc

Hmm...So if he 3 gens, then the gas would prevent at least one gen from being touched while you walk back and forth between the other two.

• SaltedSnowSaltedSnow Member Posts: 185

I find him fun to play as and against. The tonics slow down effect means I have to think about the best loop to go for. Ik my chase times are going to be cut down, but if I position myself away from my team I can seriously screw over his macro game.

He's also a bad killer, so I tend to escape Vs him a lot lol

• thesuicidefoxthesuicidefox Member Posts: 7,486

Bubba is the weakest IMO, but Clown is bad too.

Two things I would do:

• The gas can damage generators. It won't apply stuff like Pop or Overcharge but it will help with map pressure if he can damage gens from a distance.
    • Let him chug a bottle for a speed boost effect but maybe he can't attack until it ends (or he ends it). Adds to map pressure.
  • GoodBoyKaruGoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 1,935

The devs are buffing clown. This was confirmed in their newest QnA From Home stream.

• Divine_ConfettiDivine_Confetti Member Posts: 1,089

That gas idea sounds really strong and way too free, especially for 3 genning.

• MiniPisaMiniPisa Member Posts: 607

I've probably got a very unpopular opinion here... But I actually struggle to go up against Clown. For me personally, he's actually fine the way he is as long as he uses his bottles right.

Its mainly due to my play style, which is basically looping until I can't anymore - which is something the clown can counter quite easily.

Its kind of funny tho, I'm a Kate main :P

But anyway, this change is very... drastic... Minor tweaks as the people above mentioned are enough.

Yea the numbers would probably need some tweaks to prevent that from being too strong or maybe he could only charge a set amount of bottles throughout the match but it was Confirmed clown is being changed so let's see what they do to him.

I'll buy it when we have something tangible. They were very vague about it, just like the rest of the stream. He needs more a rework than a simple buff to be honest.

• AcromioAcromio Member Posts: 1,414
    edited May 19

By that they simply mean they're going to give him some minor qol changes and taking away his exhaustion add-ons in return. And then they will be nerfing him on top of that.

• GoodBoyKaruGoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 1,935

That was actually one of the clearer parts of the stream- they're testing out buffs for clown.

I mean, if that's what you want to believe I can hardly change your mind. Clearly you don't have much faith in the devs.

But remember when they said they'd buff spirit? She got buffed, then buffed some more, then stayed like that for a year before getting changed except the changes didn't really do much to hinder her. Remember when they buffed ghostface? He's stayed like that since (though dedicated servers could be called a nerf it more screwed over everybody).

Remember when they said they'd buff Freddy? 2 years later he's one of the best killers, able to ignore a commonly used survivor perk (bt) and creates map pressure by simply existing.

I'm actually kinda hopeful that clown will get buffed.