Home Discussions General Discussions
Due to latency issues in the PTB, we have decided to postpone the server hit validation test until after the update releases on the live version of the game. We will let you know when the test will take place as soon as we can. Thank you all for your patience.

Stretched resolution is cheating (not_queen on true's stream)

ayayaayaya Member Posts: 163

What about high ping? This obviously gives tremendously higher and unfair advantage and impacts 4 survivors not just 1vs1 interaction when one survivor is using it.

Comments

• RydogRydog Member Posts: 2,644

What's the controversy over stretched resolution? Can someone explain what he's referring to?

• RydogRydog Member Posts: 2,644

@Angelicus23 I don't understand what the issue at hand is. Is he accusing the killer of using a resolution hack? Someone explain to me like I am dumb and have no clue or context for any of this, please.

• GoodBoyKaruGoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 1,929

In many games you can change how your monitor displays the game. For example using a 4:3 aspect ratio on a 16:10 monitor. In many games this has no issue however DBD renders this differently and gives players an advantage by increasing their vertical FOV. You can see over structures using this, making mindgaming incredibly difficult (although flashlight saves also become harder), and killers can see survivors who attempt to window tech them.

• Angelicus23Angelicus23 Member Posts: 1,450

ok I explain clearlier don't worry. For him, you could just avoid that mindgame he received just by using stretched, because he's blind, that's why he says stretched isn't intentional so it should be counted as cheating

• ayayaayaya Member Posts: 163

I obviously didn't have laggy survivors in my mind. It might cause some teleport during the lag spike but I have yet to see it more than once. Everyone knows what happens when killer lags and what being dedicated means. This compared to having slightly bigger FOV is tremendous advantage hence why my question. Why calling people out for it and ignoring the elephant in the room?

• YaiPaYaiPa Member Posts: 1,584

high ping is not arbitrary (unless we talking about vpn killer, that's another story), and you cannot say that people with McDonald's internet shouldn't play, despite the fact that they ruin the experience, because not everyone has money, bla bla and other stupid bs.

and for a while Anti Aliasing was forced by every way because for some people it was considered cheating for having the game not blurry. It's ridiculous how some people don't want to improve their own graphics and if other people do, it's unfair

• ayayaayaya Member Posts: 163

So when I get dedicated thru pallets, walls, windows it's still legit ggez skillful, working as intended gameplay and the lagger has the right to destroy other people fun? Pls just go play any shooter and tell me why it happens there once in a blue moon (hint: it's not intended and laggers are at disadvantage because no one cares if your ping is above 100ms)

I'll repeat it to you, stretched doesnt give adcantage. Please watch both clips I added in my comment before answering me

• OrionOrion Member Posts: 15,269

DbD relies on people not being able to control some visual settings, like FOV. It's balanced around that expectation.

• EntityUnknownEntityUnknown Member Posts: 80

Using the term "cheating" is kinda STRETCHED... ( you see what i did there :D )

If Strechted Res is all of a sudden considered such a big problem (It's been a thing for 4 years) BHVR just needs to force Native Res.

Let's see how this plays out with Cross-Play and the Spaghetti Code.

This reminds me a lot of the old MLGA Topic. BHVR knew they can't do much to nothing about it. The Community knew it aswell. So they decided to put out some empty threats hoping less people would use it.

Do i think Stretched Res gives you an unfair advantage? YES I DO! But growing up with Quake 3, CS and customising configs I am enough of a realist to know that there won't be any changes. Also this game has much bigger problems than some pseudo DBD E-Sports Professionals...

• KellieKellie Member Posts: 369

If you have bad internet you shouldn't be able to make lobbies. Especially if you know you have it. At that point your just using your internet for free kills.

• not_Queefnot_Queef Member Posts: 318

Yes, stretched resolution is cheating.

No, high ping is not cheating.

/thread

• BigBrainMegMainBigBrainMegMain Member Posts: 2,752

Anyone know how to achieve high FPS and smoother gameplay while simultaneously lowering graphics without the use to "Stretched Resolution?"

• McLightningMcLightning Member Posts: 949

They can't really force native res. They can only tell the game to follow the res set by Windows itself; which is where people enable stretched res. As far as the game is concerned, it is running in native res. It doesn't know any different.

What they need to do is lock the survivor FOV per aspect ratio.

It wasn't because disabling AA was considered cheating, but because other options were changed which WAS cheating, such as changing the size of the red stain or removing mist. The devs locked the entire engine file, however now some options are unlocked (like fps cap) whilst others are kept locked.

• Fiv55Fiv55 Member Posts: 269

Backing you up m8 with another very recent scenario:

Starts at 0:58 ( link with timestamp: https://youtu.be/2_auq7u4mmk?t=58 )

1:28 "You see that, when she turned around she was perfectly hidden. [...] you see once again, if I had a more vertical view I'd have seen her easier" (I hope I got that 2nd part right, sometimes its hard to quote his exact words).

4:22 I kinda dont wanna get into it, some people refuse to believe its the reality. I dont wanna get into that negativity. [...] I know these things man. I could literally see over the hill with stretched screen. I'd be able to know where the killer is man. I dont want to talk about that.

Just look at the clip, he clearly got caught bc he's playing on normal res. /s

• Fiv55Fiv55 Member Posts: 269
    edited May 31

2x post for whatever reason.

Post edited by Fiv55 on
  • NursesBootieNursesBootie Member Posts: 1,261

Basically you can watch around corbers you shouldn't be able to. This eliminates mindgames at alot of loops and hurts mostly low tier killer.

• HuffHuff Member Posts: 1,202

I'm shocked that people will still say that stretched res makes no difference lmao

• Mr_luncherMr_luncher Member Posts: 1
    edited May 31

okay.

uuuuh excuse me? can you show me how exactly could you make red stain bigger? there is literally no single relation on that with the ini files lol, ini files just change graphical settings for quality not size. And yes, there were people saying AA was unfair because it removes some blurryness, and it doesn't have any sense that devs block AA just because as you just invented people "made red satin bigger". Please get informed on what Anti Alisaing is before commenting.

AJHSAJHSAJSHJAS thanks dude I can't stop laughing with this, I can't believe there is people actually taking him as an example of a good player just because he has a lot of hours and he's playing survivor to "prove his points" but he's just trying to look blind or something, he even were looking a bit down in that loop maybe to hide the killer and call stretched a cheat, when he didn't even tried to use it never. I'd pay him to prove his points in a private match playing survivor with stretched but he knows he's so bad and the result would be the same.

Oh dear someone's a little cranky.

The devs locked everything in those files. This includes AA and FPS cap, but also includes other files that have mist options, red stain brightness, it oenetrating walls, etc etc.

People saying disabling AA not being fair were just lacking in the braincell department, it's not that difficult.

Please, get informed before you try and come at me and responding. Check yourself before you wreck yourself and all that.

Cheers xx

• PrettyFaceKatePrettyFaceKate Member Posts: 1,335

The video works, it's the embedded that doesn't. Just follow the link you posted to watch it: https://clips.twitch.tv/KathishFragileHyenaCeilingCat

Also, I would like to add to this thread that 4:3 monitors are obviously cheats /s