Home Gameplay Guide Contest

Introductory Guide to Killer

LeiderHosenLeiderHosen Member Posts: 4
edited June 15 in Gameplay Guide Contest

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ai5w_68F6UcPgw1XkbCUJnQR5gh9?e=3k7gp7

Shared via my Microsoft account since PNG conversion was causing Pretty Good Job-like things to happen to my format. It does not render properly outside "Viewing" mode, but unless the link breaks there should be no problems. Beyond those minor technical issues, I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Here are some images that should verify I am the original owner of this file and that it was created after the contest was announced on May 27, 2020. The censorship is because--as this is my personal Microsoft Account, my real name is registered on the Doc, and that's information I typically don't share, but it is me.

Post edited by LeiderHosen on

Comments

• OldWiseOneOldWiseOne Member Posts: 159

Great work, must have taken you ages! but damn my slow reading, took awhile to read all 50 pages lol

• FichteHiroFichteHiro Member Posts: 711
    edited June 9

Hi there.

I would like to inform you that your guide is currently violating the second contest rule about not being allowed to use another person's content (e.g. screenshots, videos, etc.). In your case, page 30 of your guide contains Michael's Tier II icon and the Judith's Tombstone and Vanity Mirror icons that were uploaded on the 2nd of August 2017 and the 9th of July 2017 respectively to the Dead by Daylight Wiki:

On behalf of the Wiki, I would like to ask you to replace the aforementioned icons with the ones found in the game files.

Thank you in advance.

• PanicatsPanicats Member Posts: 3

Great guide, but almost every image in there is from the wiki, pretty sure you can't do that.

• LeiderHosenLeiderHosen Member Posts: 4

I checked on last years winner before I started. The winner also used images from the Wiki. It takes 30 seconds of searching to see as much, but their entry clearly wasn't disqualified since it, you know, won.

I examined the rule carefully before choosing any artwork, and what the rule--specifically--forbids is violation of copyrights from third parties. The Official Wiki for the game isn't really a third party, since they are owned in part by the Devs and didn't create any of the images--they copied them from the game for public viewing.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if I got disqualified for using images posted online--with permission from the devs--for the purpose of being seen, and are not created by a party other than BHVR, when last years winner did the same thing with no problems, I would be surprised and disappointed.

• PanicatsPanicats Member Posts: 3

If thats true then all good, just didn't want to see a pretty good entry be disqualified since i've been seeing some entrys being called out because of wiki images, my bad then

• chapizwowchapizwow Member Posts: 4

Im gonna start with the wrong foot, and say this: damnn that was long (which the judging criteria says will deduct points), i made a like 5 pages basic one and thougt it was too long for the contest xD

On the other hand, bruh... i loved your guide, this is the kind of guide i needed when i started playing the game instead of the friends who "taught" me to play the game by saying "pick the black girl because it has self-heal, and buy the cannibal for the bbq & chilli" lol. It really shows how much effort you put into it, and you went from the very basic to the most intricate details of the killers role, overall a really complete and complex guide for all killers from begginers to veterans.

There's no need to apologize, I know that length is a consideration, but I didn't want to compromise my vision or leave anything I felt was important untouched. If I lose for sharing too much knowledge, it's a loss I'll take, since I will have written what I wanted to write, and if it does end up helping people--even if it doesn't win the cash prize--I still would believe I succeeded.

Part of it is what you said; I feel like while there's plenty of Survivor guides of every shape, size, and length, there's not a lot of good resources for new Killers--even though Killer has an incredibly demanding skill-curve and is easily bullied in lower ranks (and higher, Killer is pretty bullied in general, but new players have it the worst). You get guides that tell you the basic UI information and "The Killer kills people", but nothing really prepares you for how much strategy goes into it, or instills good habits to develop to avoid common pitfalls.

It says a lot about what I think of all this info and how much it has helped me, that I really think *all* of what I wrote is important and helpful. Even still, I tried to keep everything straightforward and easy to understand, so while there's lots of info, nothing should feel especially hard to comprehend--there's just a lot there. That was the goal anyway.

• FichteHiroFichteHiro Member Posts: 711

Actually, the white icons can be found in the regular accessible game files and are fine to be used. It's really just the three images mentioned above that are for Wiki-use only and need to be replaced by their backgroundless counterparts from the game folder. Last year's contest winner didn't actually use Wiki images, but those provided by the devs for the contest.

• chapizwowchapizwow Member Posts: 4

i mean.. this contest its a simple proof of what you are saying, there's like 50 guides total, and i think there's only 3 for killer, and 1 is a somewhat troll one. So yeah, it's hard to find good killer guides...

Im still waiting for my post to be aproved, but as much as i would like to win, i really think you deserve a top3.

I already replaced it, so I don't know why you're still lurking around here. Not to be rude, but do you have anything better to do with your time than patrol other people's entries?

I ask this because count three comments from you that are literally copy-pastes with the relevant information edited, so you can cite Rule 2 more efficiently, and it is--frankly--completely ridiculous when you don't appear to be a mod, a Dev, or even an actual representative of the Forum.

It comes across less like you're trying to be helpful--like pointing to that directory in the first place--and more like you're looking for an excuse to harass people. If there are rules broken, the Developers and actual judges will take care of it.

You said your peace and I removed the "offending" image, and now I've said mine, so I politely ask--for the sake of civility: do not contact me again.

• GeorgereillyGeorgereilly Member Posts: 5

I included a picture of a couple perks from the wiki and immediately was threatened with disqualification, not fun.